Research In Motion chose the right company to sell off its hardware brand to. TCL has delivered great devices in a small amount of time. They've consistently released a phone every year and with variant colors and internals.

I was worried at first because of the DTEK series.. because to me it looks nothing resembling a blackberry, and I don't mean qwerty berry's I mean the slabs (z10,30,pr/iv, motion, leap) it was the same exact design as tcls other phone (forgot the name) with a blackberry logo attached.

But then the KeyOne came and the games never been the same.

Even the Motion was an alright attempt. I would like to see a 2019 BlackBerry Mobile slab with all modern specs and design. That would be cool while we wait for the KeyThrice.

Props to TCL for keeping BlackBerry alive!

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    03-21-19 06:38 AM
    Yes very much true
    03-21-19 06:40 AM
    Seriously? I'm on my third K1. The first the keyboard didn't work, then the screen lift and then my lens cover cracked. It's by far the worst built BB I've owned. It makes me want to switch brands after 12 years with BB.
    03-21-19 07:44 AM
    My AT&T KEYone has been great, other than carrier imposed limitations which aren’t the BBMo fault...

BB have never been premium devices except when no competition exists.
    Andrew Poderis likes this.
    03-21-19 08:27 AM
    Blackberry phones(not TCL models)in my opinion, have always been premium units. They are highly durable and get the essential job done. Or did but that's not the discussion here. TCL makes typical "premium" looking phones and TVs but the reality is they are not well thought out and the parts frequently fail. Not a fan.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-19 10:06 AM
    Seriously? I'm on my third K1. The first the keyboard didn't work, then the screen lift and then my lens cover cracked. It's by far the worst built BB I've owned. It makes me want to switch brands after 12 years with BB.
    Don't jump ship ... I just got a Key2 and it's GREAT. No issues at all.
    skinnymike1 and rarsen like this.
    03-21-19 10:34 AM
    TCL has a bad customer service and did not delivered phones with an high quality as the Bb. Maybe it was due to rush, lack of experience.... For r sure they could have been doing much better and now they learned their lesson.
    03-21-19 11:15 AM
    Blackberry phones(not TCL models)in my opinion, have always been premium units. They are highly durable and get the essential job done. Or did but that's not the discussion here. TCL makes typical "premium" looking phones and TVs but the reality is they are not well thought out and the parts frequently fail. Not a fan.

Posted via CB10
    TCL has a bad customer service and did not delivered phones with an high quality as the Bb. Maybe it was due to rush, lack of experience.... For r sure they could have been doing much better and now they learned their lesson.
    Copy of my post from another thread:

Perhaps you miss the days of clicky, squeaky, over-heating Privs, or the double-typing, screen-lifting, no-cell-service Passports, or the double-typing Q10s, or the rebooting, meagre-battery-life Z10s, or the fixed-focus camera of the 9900, or the (cough) Storms?

Every device has its issues. I find the current BBMo devices no worse than most other BlackBerry-branded phones. As a matter of fact, my current KEY² and previous KEYᵒⁿᵉ have been the least problematic devices I've owned over the last 7 years.
    03-21-19 12:00 PM
    I have never had an issue with any BlackBerry phone I have owned starting with the Bold. I know some have but my experience prevails for my perspective.

TCL is well known to have horrible customer service and poor quality so if you have had good products then the pendulum swings both ways.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and CerveloJohn like this.
    03-21-19 12:06 PM
    I have never had an issue with any BlackBerry phone I have owned starting with the Bold. I know some have but my experience prevails for my perspective.

TCL is well known to have horrible customer service and poor quality so if you have had good products then the pendulum swings both ways.

Posted via CB10
    Renowned for poor quality? Their TVs are always the top rated around the world, and their last few years of Alcatel products have been well rated for quality (in the segment).

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ was also well-receive when almost every review touts its solid construction.

Techradar:

"Sophisticated high-end design"

PC World:

"It’s been designed and built to last and it looks and feels like those efforts have paid off – this is the brick to its shiny-glass window-like competitors.... It’s certainly the most robust phone we’ve tested since the Moto X Force."

Digital Trends:

"Brick-like build quality"

Trusted Reviews:

"Build quality is solid, though the textured back is a smudge magnet and the KEYone easily survived an accidental encounter with a rampaging toddler with a penchant to chew or throw everything."

Tom's Guide:

"Professionals drawn to the BlackBerry name, though, are unlikely to mind the KeyOne's extra heft; it's the result of a sturdy design featuring an anodized aluminum frame, and a textured back that makes the phone easier to grip."

Wired:

"BlackBerry's software makes work super efficient. Great security features. Nice build quality."

Engadget:

"I've really got to hand to TCL and BlackBerry on this one: They made a remarkably polished smartphone unlike any other on the market. The KEYone manages to feel professional and productive, and it's proof that you don't need to wedge metal between panes of curved glass to build something that feels premium."
    03-21-19 12:15 PM
    Renowned for poor quality? Their TVs are always the top rated around the world, and their last few years of Alcatel products have been well rated for quality (in the segment).
    I own a TCL 65in LCD and my first hand experience is that they are absolute rubbish. One year warranty, fortunately extended to 3 by the company selling them.

Horrible light bleed on the panel that has increased significsntly with the age of the device. Continual problems with resolution settings when switching between HDMI device input and for the past 5 months, irregular episodes of it switching itself on and off at will.

This on / off cycle can continue for hours and the screen displays all types of icons and messages. The solution was to replace the motherboard. All good for 2 weeks. Now it's back again.

I would rate their service where I live as reactive. Reactive because they are scrambling to save their reputation which is quickly diminishing before their eyes.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    03-21-19 06:37 PM
    They're not horrible, but also could do better.

Wouldn't that be more accurate?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-21-19 07:38 PM
    I own a TCL 65in LCD and my first hand experience is that they are absolute rubbish. One year warranty, fortunately extended to 3 by the company selling them.

Horrible light bleed on the panel that has increased significsntly with the age of the device. Continual problems with resolution settings when switching between HDMI device input and for the past 5 months, irregular episodes of it switching itself on and off at will.

This on / off cycle can continue for hours and the screen displays all types of icons and messages. The solution was to replace the motherboard. All good for 2 weeks. Now it's back again.

I would rate their service where I live as reactive. Reactive because they are scrambling to save their reputation which is quickly diminishing before their eyes.
    Talk to CNET - who has rated TCL the best TV to buy for the last 3 years based on picture quality for the price.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-65r...oku-tv-review/

"No TV we've ever tested offers this much picture quality for this little cash, and its Roku TV operating system is our hands-down favorite. The TCL 6 series wins the value race."

"With superb picture quality that rivals TVs costing twice as much, TCL's 6 series is the best TV value we've ever reviewed."
    rarsen and bh7171 like this.
    03-21-19 08:07 PM
    Talk to CNET - who has rated TCL the best TV to buy for the last 3 years based on picture quality for the price.

"No TV we've ever tested offers this much picture quality for this little cash, and its Roku TV operating system is our hands-down favorite. The TCL 6 series wins the value race."
    Pass. I prefer my 2 years of personal experience with a device over a review by a tech reporter.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-21-19 08:11 PM
    Pass. I prefer my 2 years of personal experience with a device over a review by a tech reporter.
    OK, how about others?

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/tc...ries-r615-r617

"The TCL 6-Series is the best TV under $1,000, period."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/tv-rev...55r617-review/

"On the whole, the new TCL 6-Series produces remarkably impressive picture quality, full stop."
    03-21-19 08:15 PM
    OK, how about others?

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/tc...ries-r615-r617

"The TCL 6-Series is the best TV under $1,000, period."
    You can quote links all day. When I have 2 years + of first hand experience of a product and the service level behind that product, my perceptions have already determined my opinions.
    FabriciusFab and cwalt2166 like this.
    03-21-19 08:19 PM

Would you prefer

Light bleed that is "Extremely poor"

Or maybe

Light bleed that "can illuminate a room"
    the_boon likes this.
    03-21-19 08:34 PM
    Every KeyOne owner... just letting yall know I upgraded to the LE from a silver KeyOne and I loved the KeyOne but the LE is another echelon. It's better in every category except LED indicator quality and capcitive keys.

I thought the capacitivelessness LE keys would make me abhor using it, but I've adapted quick and almost forgot keys could even be capacitive lol.. don't get me wrong I forever wish TCL included capacitive keys on the LE but it is what it is, other than that the LE keyboard as a literal keyboard is phenomenal. This keyboard is my favorite BlackBerry keyboard ever, even better than the Q10, Classic, and Passport keyboards. Also the lightness of the phone makes me like it a lot more. I realized the KeyOne and every other BlackBerry in fact are hefty heavy phones, which I don't mind, but the lightness of the LE is fresh.

Posted via CB10
    mike_f_369 and CerveloJohn like this.
    03-22-19 06:14 AM

I agree. Always room for improvement. Hope 3 times a charm and the KeyThrice delivers what we've really been looking for in a modern Key phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-19 06:16 AM
    TCL Ltd the TV company is a different company than TCL Communications that build smartphones.

Yes they are all the same family, but TCL Communications has a VERY different reputation in the market. The Chinese have all but written them off, due to the cheap products they offered. They went from a high of 75 Million units shipped (not just smartphones) in 2014 down to only 30 Million last year. And that's while expanding out of China and into India, South America, Africa and Europe and North America. In 2017 (last year they reported individual markets) sales in the US had sales fallen by 50%. Overall their sales still fell by 25% last year... mostly due to poor quality products, and a negative reputation that they have built for themselves.

But BBMo products, those get rated pretty high on most consumer sites. So have to assume that the negative bits and pieces we see here aren't a true reflection of what most buyers are seeing. KEY2 has 4.5 Stars on Amazon...
    03-22-19 07:51 AM
    Plus many people spend less money on brands like TCL and then have unrealistic expectations as if they’d spent Xx as much on another brand.
    the_boon likes this.
    03-22-19 11:22 AM

"With superb picture quality that rivals TVs costing twice as much, TCL's 6 series is the best TV value we've ever reviewed."
    I would not regard CNET as a reputable source any longer. They are rubbish themselves
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-22-19 11:49 AM
    I would not regard CNET as a reputable source any longer. They are rubbish themselves
    Their TV guys are still some of the best around.
    03-22-19 11:54 AM
    Their TV guys are still some of the best around.
    Says you
    03-22-19 11:56 AM
    Let's not compare phones to TVs. Different products and different manufacturing process.

Thanking TCL for great keyone is funny. I own a Keyone and I have to say that my old LG G4 was made better than the Keyone. no hardware problem after 2 years of usage. but I can't say the same about the Keyone. Even I have heard lots of good thing about the Key2, but I am still not sure if I will make the switch yet.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    03-22-19 01:24 PM
86 123 ...