I am still very much enjoying my Key2LE, and am eager to see what the future brings for BB, but I fear that I may soon be forced into a decision. Effective this week, the MyGMC app is no longer supported for anything below Android 9. This means that I can no longer take advantage of remote services (for which I pay a monthly fee) on my nearly new GMC vehicle, including door unlock and remote start. And I live in a ridiculously cold climate in the northern US. I have escalated an inquiry with GM's tech team, but am not optimistic.

Oddly enough, I run a number of popular (i.e., mainstream social and consumer) apps and have not encountered this before.

Is this a tip-of-the-iceberg situation, that's about to get a lot worse, or is GM just taking a big leap on its own? How common is this, and are there any workarounds or patches?

In other words, how "officially dead" is Android 8.1?
    01-13-21 03:55 PM
    I am still very much enjoying my Key2LE, and am eager to see what the future brings for BB, but I fear that I may soon be forced into a decision. Effective this week, the MyGMC app is no longer supported for anything below Android 9. This means that I can no longer take advantage of remote services (for which I pay a monthly fee) on my nearly new GMC vehicle, including door unlock and remote start. And I live in a ridiculously cold climate in the northern US. I have escalated an inquiry with GM's tech team, but am not optimistic.

Oddly enough, I run a number of popular (i.e., mainstream social and consumer) apps and have not encountered this before.

Is this a tip-of-the-iceberg situation, that's about to get a lot worse, or is GM just taking a big leap on its own? How common is this, and are there any workarounds or patches?

That is actually very unusual. There aren't many apps out there that need a version higher than Android 6.
    01-13-21 04:03 PM
    Really, really unusual. Are you absolutely sure about MyGMC ?

edit: sorry to doubt you - just checked and that is indeed the case. Android 9 will be needed.
    01-13-21 04:15 PM

"Not supported" ... does that mean won't work, or won't receive further updates?
    My guess is that your app will continue to work, but if you need to reinstall it you'll need to grab an APK from somewhere other than Google Play.
    01-13-21 04:24 PM
    That is actually very unusual. There aren't many apps out there that need a version higher than Android 6.
    Some of the major financial institutions are pushing out updated apps requiring Android 10 as minimum requirement.
    asiayeah likes this.
    01-13-21 05:35 PM
    Some of the major financial institutions are pushing out updated apps requiring Android 10 as minimum requirement.
    I've never seen one of these. Any names?

The major banking apps in Canada are min Android 5.
    01-13-21 05:42 PM
    I've never seen one of these. Any names?

The major banking apps in Canada are min Android 5.
    This one locally

https://www.gtefinancial.org/service...app-transition
    01-13-21 05:49 PM
    So you're saying my Passport may not be able to work at your local bank?
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-13-21 05:55 PM
    So bizarre since only 20% of devices are using 10 and above.
    01-13-21 05:57 PM
    So you're saying my Passport may not be able to work at your local bank?
    Well it’s not mine but it’s the choice of many around this side of Florida and not only your Passport fails but even the Key2 is a crash and burn...
    01-13-21 05:57 PM
    It is amazing to me that they will cut many off from mobile banking, at least temporarily.
    01-13-21 05:59 PM
    The only thing I can figure is some major app improvement features and perhaps not having internal development maybe? Couldn’t this be an expense containment measure based on internal user data?
    01-13-21 06:00 PM
    It is amazing to me that they will cut many off from mobile banking, at least temporarily.
    But they’ll loan you the money for a new Android/iOS device..... /S
    brookie229 likes this.
    01-13-21 06:01 PM
    This actually does not surprise me. I am in the industry and the SolarwInds hack will have many companies updating their secure products. I can see Android 10 becoming the new base Android OS for products the require security. Many changes are coming to everyone developing software in 2021.
    01-13-21 08:15 PM
    The only thing I can figure is some major app improvement features and perhaps not having internal development maybe? Couldn’t this be an expense containment measure based on internal user data?
    Plus concern about unpatched security holes on older OS versions. Banks are understandably more sensitive about known vulnerabilities than, say, social media companies. LOL.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-13-21 08:20 PM
    Plus concern about unpatched security holes on older OS versions. Banks are understandably more sensitive about known vulnerabilities than, say, social media companies. LOL.
    That's true, but Android 10 as a bare minimum seems a bit aggressive. For all but 2% of folks, 10 is the absolute latest.
    Last edited by conite; 01-13-21 at 09:24 PM.
    01-13-21 09:07 PM
    GTEs Android support is a joke. It's a total afterthought and even refers to iOS specific features in the Android app. This was probably unintentional because they are daft.
    01-13-21 10:36 PM
    Yeah I can see Car Companies being just as concerned about security holes as a Bank, maybe more so...

I do agree this seems to be overly aggressive... but each version of Android brings specifies improvements to security that goes beyond what patches offer. That said, the number I see (AppBrain) shows Android 11 at only 1%, Android 10 at 34% and Android 9 at 22%, so that's almost 57%. But I'm sure GM's client base looking for a new car and willing to pay monthly fees... is anything but average.
    01-14-21 08:23 AM
    I'm guessing some delveopers are misinterepting this.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...-by-this-fall/
    TheBlkGuyFrmWrk likes this.
    01-14-21 09:27 AM
    Yeah I can see Car Companies being just as concerned about security holes as a Bank, maybe more so...

I do agree this seems to be overly aggressive... but each version of Android brings specifies improvements to security that goes beyond what patches offer. That said, the number I see (AppBrain) shows Android 11 at only 1%, Android 10 at 34% and Android 9 at 22%, so that's almost 57%. But I'm sure GM's client base looking for a new car and willing to pay monthly fees... is anything but average.
    Android 10 was the minimum for this app. So that's 35% according to your figures. Although that number is a lot higher than other estimates I've seen for Android 10 deployment.
    01-14-21 09:31 AM
    Android 10 was the minimum for this app. So that's 35% according to your figures. Although that number is a lot higher than other estimates I've seen for Android 10 deployment.
    I read the OP's statement "is no longer supported for anything below Android 9." to me mean Android 9 and above is good.

It is sad that Google no long has their dashboard on the web, and the data in Android Studio seems stuck.... hasn't been updated in almost a year. Think Google is getting sensitive to how slowly folk move to the latest OS.... or how many old Android devices are still active.

Gstatcounter has even bigger uptake of Android 9 and 10 than AppBrain....
    01-14-21 11:54 AM
    I read the OP's statement "is no longer supported for anything below Android 9." to me mean Android 9 and above is good.

It is sad that Google no long has their dashboard on the web, and the data in Android Studio seems stuck.... hasn't been updated in almost a year. Think Google is getting sensitive to how slowly folk move to the latest OS.... or how many old Android devices are still active.

Gstatcounter has even bigger uptake of Android 9 and 10 than AppBrain....
    Oh, sorry. I was still thinking about Chuck's example.
    01-14-21 12:04 PM
    Oh, sorry. I was still thinking about Chuck's example.
    So I got into conite’s head? LOL - that’s a rough day my friend, have a drink or 12......
    01-15-21 04:59 AM
    I'm guessing some delveopers are misinterepting this.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...-by-this-fall/

Yeah it's pretty much this, as a developer I understand what Google is doing. You don't want to get struck saying you have to limit your application to certain features because you need to support Android 8. Think of it like this when you're on a website in IE and you see a message saying for a better experience use Chrome. This is there way of saying we do not support IE. So if myGMC adds a new feature and you're on Android 8 don't expect it to work and don't bother filing a help request because you're on Android 8
    Last edited by TheBlkGuyFrmWrk; 01-15-21 at 08:05 AM. Reason: missing quote
    01-15-21 08:04 AM
    Just lost access to work apps on my Key2LE BYOD as we upgraded from Boxer to MobileIron and Android v8.1 is below the minimum requirement - hurry up Onward!
    02-25-21 09:14 PM
38 12