So this morning I was brought a BlackBerry Key2LE from one of our management representatives who over the weekend had an unfortunate thing happen. He had his phone up on the dash of his jeep turned a corner and well needless to say the screen is shattered and the phone is still making noises and alerts but nothing can be see on the screen. Do we know if there is anyway possible to make sure a Google Backup took place? A sign in area on Google for an account portal? Something to say it was backed up. Since I cannot see anything on this phone I don't know what to say right now. Hoping one of you experts might be able to assist. The other problem we have is we don't know what Google Account was used to sign in. Any assistance is appreciated.

Question about Google Backup-img_20190506_0909591.jpg
    Last edited by TERDIE; 05-06-19 at 08:15 AM.
    05-06-19 08:01 AM
    Not a lot you can check...

But you can go to Google Drive and sign in, one of the categories on the left is Backups... should show your devices and when last it backed up. Click on it and it gives you Apps, Call History, Device Settings and SMS with the dates/time for each.

Bla1ze likes this.
    05-06-19 09:03 AM
    Not a lot you can check...

But you can go to Google Drive and sign in, one of the categories on the left is Backups... should show your devices and when last it backed up. Click on it and it gives you Apps, Call History, Device Settings and SMS with the dates/time for each.

I'm logged into Google Drive. There is no "Backups" on the left as you mentioned.
    This is where I am having a really hard time wondering where the data is actually stored.
    I know its tied to a gmail account but why can't i see the data on Drive?
    05-06-19 09:24 AM
    I'm logged into Google Drive. There is no "Backups" on the left as you mentioned.
    This is where I am having a really hard time wondering where the data is actually stored.
    I know its tied to a gmail account but why can't i see the data on Drive?
    My guess is you don't have the right Google Account, or he didn't enable the backup features....

It's only a six month old phone... he doesn't remember what account he used to set it up? I'd try accessing Google Drive with all the accounts he has.
    05-06-19 09:58 AM
    I still contacted Blackberry Mobile about it and I will send it to a TCL repair center in Mississauga.
    I mean... Mistakes happen and unfortunately that's the case here. The phone was purchased on March 21, 2019 - It's basically brand new... so we will see what happens. I mean either way i'll pay to have it repaired as i've got it boxed up to be sent out with the case # they provided. The gmail account we do have access to but again in the menu of drive I do not see "Backups" anywhere. I see stuff in account about downloading data etc. Perhaps its been moved?
    05-06-19 11:26 AM
    I still contacted Blackberry Mobile about it and I will send it to a TCL repair center in Mississauga.
    I mean... Mistakes happen and unfortunately that's the case here. The phone was purchased on March 21, 2019 - It's basically brand new... so we will see what happens. I mean either way i'll pay to have it repaired as i've got it boxed up to be sent out with the case # they provided. The gmail account we do have access to but again in the menu of drive I do not see "Backups" anywhere. I see stuff in account about downloading data etc. Perhaps its been moved?
    Did you ask them specifically about your/his data?

In the past it was standard for BlackBerry to wipe hardware when it came in. Not sure about these 3rd Party Repair shops that BBMo contracts with.

If they wipe it or send you back a refurbish unit... only way to recover is going to be IF it was backed up and IF you set it up with the same account.

How valuable is the data? IF the phone is still working and only the display is bad... having someone do that locally might be better. If he is fine without it... let BBMo repair it and keep the warranty going.

If you do send it in to them... update us with how that goes.
    05-06-19 02:07 PM
    Did you ask them specifically about your/his data?

In the past it was standard for BlackBerry to wipe hardware when it came in. Not sure about these 3rd Party Repair shops that BBMo contracts with.

If they wipe it or send you back a refurbish unit... only way to recover is going to be IF it was backed up and IF you set it up with the same account.

How valuable is the data? IF the phone is still working and only the display is bad... having someone do that locally might be better. If he is fine without it... let BBMo repair it and keep the warranty going.

If you do send it in to them... update us with how that goes.
    I did not ask the management representative how important the data is. I assume it was just some pictures etc. I put his sim card in a Samsung Edge S7 today temporary until we find out what's going on with the Blackberry KEY2 LE. I will for sure let you all know what happens in terms of the repair.

The local shops here do not have the screens last time I checked. for the Key2's or The Key one's or Motions. Authorized TCL repair center is the only option.

Will keep everyone posted.
    05-06-19 02:40 PM
    I did not ask the management representative how important the data is. I assume it was just some pictures etc. I put his sim card in a Samsung Edge S7 today temporary until we find out what's going on with the Blackberry KEY2 LE. I will for sure let you all know what happens in terms of the repair.

The local shops here do not have the screens last time I checked. for the Key2's or The Key one's or Motions. Authorized TCL repair center is the only option.

Will keep everyone posted.
    If you setup the S7 as a new device with the correct account info... it should recover (or ask to recover) the data. It's not a BlackBerry thing it's an Android thing.
    05-06-19 02:52 PM
    If you setup the S7 as a new device with the correct account info... it should recover (or ask to recover) the data. It's not a BlackBerry thing it's an Android thing.
    As its a temporary phone I did not sign into google on the s7 edge. I need someone to for sure tell me if there is a way to tell if the backup took place or not from the pc. There has to be a way to sign in to drive and see backups. I see backups if using content transfer tool. But since the phone is not in any shape of being able to be used it is what it is.
    05-06-19 03:27 PM
    05-06-19 07:45 PM
    As its a temporary phone I did not sign into google on the s7 edge. I need someone to for sure tell me if there is a way to tell if the backup took place or not from the pc. There has to be a way to sign in to drive and see backups. I see backups if using content transfer tool. But since the phone is not in any shape of being able to be used it is what it is.
    As I said, I see my backups in Google Drive.

The key is I know I have the right account and I know I had backups enabled. I have one other device that does not have backup enabled, on this same account... and it doesn't show up in Google Drive.

I "think" you either have the wrong account info that he used to setup the phone, or that he didn't have backup features enabled.

If the data isn't important.. go ahead as you are.

I would just confirm that, as once you send in the phone... the data might be gone for good.
    05-07-19 08:03 AM