Hello all,
    I thought I would post my initial thoughts since it seems people are comparing the Key 2 LE to the main Key 2 or to the Key 1 and no one has done a comparison between the Key 2 LE to Priv so here it goes.

I picked this up yesterday from the post office after becoming more and more frustrated with my Priv's battery life and how often it would just freeze for no reason (no programs open) or slow down big time.

Anyways, initial thoughts are the smaller screen is taking a bit to get used to, but certainly isn't a deal breaker.
    Having said that, the screen brightness and colour doesn't compare to the Priv. The colours are nice, but they don't pop like on the Priv. If I can get a full day of use from this though, I'll be more than happy with the trade off.
    The screen is fine for emails, texting, whatsapp and the odd online website forum reply. I certainly wouldn't want to read GOT or LOTR on it though.

Sound: no idea, I've not played a youtube clip or anything. Message prompts sound fine though. Very happy it has an earphone jack though.

Speed: To be honest this is one area I'm a bit disappointed. While it certainly doesn't feel slower, it's not really faster. I'd say more efficient as it doesn't bog down like the Priv when multiple programs are open.
    Might need some more time with it before making a final choice on this.

Camera: feels like an improvement, but I've only played around with it for a few minutes. No complaints so far.

Keyboard, feels a bit cramped compared to the Priv, but on the other hand, I can actually use it with one hand. The Priv was a bit tough to use with one hand. great with 2 though, but a bit tough if you only have a free hand (holding a pole on the streetcar and trying to send a text at the same time)

Related to the keyboard is my biggest gripe and a "WTF where they thinking?" feature that I'm going to miss from from the Priv, which is the ability to scroll with the keypad. Yes I know they needed a way to differentiate between the Key 2 and Key 2 LE, but feels like a massive step backwards...
    Being able to flick up is also something I'm going to miss but to a lesser extent.
    However, I didn't feel these were worth the additional $350+ price tag.

Also it's taking a bit to get use to only having 1 shift key, not sure why TCL couldn't have kept it and simply moved the new BB key over to the right.... Anyhoo...

Hopefully multi-language will have also improved since I often write in multiple languages...

I got this phone from koodo since they had it as part of a $0 down/$15tab promo. Likely wasn't going to go much lower than this... and koodo doesn't offer the Key 2, have to move up to Telus which also meant my monthly plan would've more than doubled.

Anyways, just my initial thoughts. I'm still waiting for my case to arrive before making the final move over from the Priv to the Key 2 LE since I have a tendency to drop things. I'm surprised my tablet isn't broken yet... *knock on wood* it stays that way!

I'll update once I've been able to it in the wild since right now it's staying indoors!

I'll be keeping my Priv and using it as my travel phone going forward since it's unlocked.

If anyone has some comments or questions, I'll do my best to answer!
    Thanks!
    03-10-19 01:25 PM
    It's hard for me to believe that you don't see a major performance difference between the SD636 in the LE and the SD808 in the Priv
    03-10-19 02:01 PM
    It's hard for me to believe that you don't see a major performance difference between the SD636 in the LE and the SD808 in the Priv
    Wish I did, but so far the improvements are efficiency vs. raw power.
    I guess you could say it's like a slow steady, burn vs. a sudden bang.

Not that I'm complaining really, it's just an initial observation.
    03-10-19 03:41 PM

Thanks for the real world review comparing to a previous "flagship".
    03-10-19 07:36 PM
    My LE is much swift and quicker than my Priv. In fact, my Priv is probably the slowest phone I've owned.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-19 04:13 AM
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
    On paper the 636 doesn't appear to be much better than the 808 in terms of performance. AMOLED to LCD is another major downgrade which is hard to accept. Finally, the capacitive keyboard, I too can't justify the decision, giving up 30% screen real estate despite not being able to scroll.
    03-11-19 09:22 PM

You can get your LE to act snappier by speeding up animation. You should enable developermode to do that.
    I've set mine to 0.5x scale. Gives you a complete other experience.
    kalphreef and bh7171 like this.
    03-12-19 01:17 AM
    You can get your LE to act snappier by speeding up animation. You should enable developermode to do that.
    I've set mine to 0.5x scale. Gives you a complete other experience.
    Yeah that's something everyone should do immediately on ANY android device imo
    tubularbell likes this.
    03-12-19 09:59 AM
    Is there?

https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapd...on-808-msm8992

While the SD636 is a generation newer (2017), it's not built as a flagship processor. So in some ways it's only marginally better than the SD808. You can check some of the benchmark sites... to compare the scores between the two. Single Core score there isn't much difference, now any apps using multiple cores should see a major performance improvement as it's almost double. But I don't know when that really shows up to an end user... gaming? databases? multitasking?

Biggest advantage with the SD636 is going to be battery life... much more efficient.
    PRIVuser2018 likes this.
    03-12-19 11:15 AM
    Is there?

https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapd...on-808-msm8992

While the SD636 is a generation newer (2017), it's not built as a flagship processor. So in some ways it's only marginally better than the SD808. You can check some of the benchmark sites... to compare the scores between the two. Single Core score there isn't much difference, now any apps using multiple cores should see a major performance improvement as it's almost double. But I don't know when that really shows up to an end user... gaming? databases? multitasking?

Biggest advantage with the SD636 is going to be battery life... much more efficient.
    Ok that's nice and all on paper, but I actually REALLY feel the speed difference on my LE as opposed to when I was using Privs.

Try opening Google maps at the same time on both devices... the Priv will be slugging behind every time, in every scenario I could think of.
    03-12-19 11:17 AM
    Ok that's nice and all on paper, but I actually REALLY feel the speed difference on my LE as opposed to when I was using Privs.

Try opening Google maps at the same time on both devices... the Priv will be slugging behind every time, in every scenario I could think of.
    Clearly the OPs scenarios are different...

I'm just pointing out why he might not see as much difference as he expected there to be.
    03-12-19 11:35 AM

You like to despise the Priv...always complaining about it.

Yes, I know you had 5 Priv but your posts seem a copy paste.

OMG
    Gene Fells likes this.
    03-12-19 12:53 PM
    You like to despise the Priv...always complaining about it.

Yes, I know you had 5 Priv but your posts seem a copy paste.

OMG
    If I despised it, I wouldn't have owned multiple units.

Matter of fact, I think it's one of the most awesome and original Android devices ever built.

It's sole main fault is the processor which BB ltd chose for it, and I'm really really disappointed they chose it over whatever mid-range was available at the time or even the 801 that was in the Passport.

Now that the KEY devices exist, it makes no sense for most PKB fans to keep holding on to their beloved sliders, including me of course.

Of course I value a 5.4" Samsung AMOLED, a best-in-class grippy back, and a flawless capacitive keyboard over an average 4.5" LCD and no capacitive keyboard... but the 808 is THAT bad of a processor, it's the equivalent of owning a Dodge Intrepid or some other terribly reliable car over a Toyota Camry.

If the 808 just made the Priv slower than its competitors of the time, I'd still be using one intermittently with the LE, maybe even most of the time.
    But the overheating and battery drain when doing ANYTHING other than basic text/forum stuff is just a dealbreaker.

So yeah, not a Priv hater, far from it, but weighting all the pros and cons, the device is just not up to par with any of the KEYs.
    03-12-19 01:09 PM
    A quick update, now that I've transferred over my SD card and sim card to use this phone full time, I have to say that the difference is more noticeable.
    Programs are snappier for the most part. Facebook and instagram are the 2 more noticeable ones, but the phone as a whole feels fresher.
    Could also be that I'm going from Android 6 to 8...

All in all a welcome change and while I still do miss being able to scroll with the track pad, it's not worth $300-350+ to have it on the Key2 (yes I know you get more...)
    the_boon likes this.
    03-12-19 07:46 PM