SMS not working with a BBE100-5 on Verizon might be a configuration issue.

According to Verizon (PDF):

The device shall support the device configurable parameter smsformat which can have the value 3gpp2 or the value 3gpp. This parameter shall be stored
    on the device in non-volatile memory and shall be configurable over-the-air using OTADM procedures (refer to the OTADM and Factory LTE
    Programming sections of the LTE 3GPP Band 13 Network Access requirements document, Ref. [12] for additional details). For Type 3 and Type 4
    CDMALess devices, the value of the smsformat parameter shall always be configured to '3gpp'. For all other devices, the default value is 3gpp2.
    And also according to Verizon, the KEY2LE would count as a Type 3 device:

The term "CDMA-less device" refers to a 3GPP Type 3 (LTE-centric device with 3GPP legacy modes with GSM voice fallback) or 3GPP Type 4 (LTE-only device with GSM voice fallback) device.
    Hence, if you ended up buying a BBE100-5 to use on Verizon, contact Verizon and ask if your SMS format is set to 3GPP or 3GPP2. If you're using an actual Verizon phone or an unlocked phone from a real OEM before this, it's probably the latter, which is why SMS wouldn't work. As for why the device doesn't negotiate this during setup with a Verizon SIM installed, well, who knows?
    Last edited by thurask; 10-19-18 at 06:38 AM.
    the_boon likes this.
    10-19-18 06:21 AM
    10-19-18 06:28 AM
    If you do have issues, use quickshortcutmaker because I believe ARDA has these settings configurable. Presuming ARDA is accessible on the Key2LE as it is on the Key2.
    10-19-18 06:29 AM
    Returned the phone a few days ago. I'll wait for someone else to play the part of test dummy, and if we get a good and verified work-around, I'll order another one from BlackBerry.
    the_boon likes this.
    10-19-18 06:47 AM
    If you do have issues, use quickshortcutmaker because I believe ARDA has these settings configurable. Presuming ARDA is accessible on the Key2LE as it is on the Key2.
    I used this method to access ARDA. My Key2 LE had the SMS Format variable set to 3GPP. When I switched it to 3GPP2, I could receive text messages, but I couldn't actually send any. Disabling WiFi would cause a message to get stuck at "Sending" . Enabling WiFi would cause sending to fail altogether.
    10-19-18 07:16 AM
    As this is getting sorted out I just wanted to thank everyone for putting time into this on behalf of all of us who are waiting to see if this gets sorted out. I do want to say that it absolutely AMAZES me that TCL could release a product with Verizon mentioned on the box and Verizon could whitelist the device without either of their QA testing sending and receiving texts!!! It's hard to believe that wasn't on a checklist and I am guessing that wasn't the case. Maybe there is a setting either within the phone or on VZW's end that is different than when it was tested. Hopefully it will get sorted out soon...

Anyhow, thanks again for everyone's time and efforts to try to sort this out.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-19-18 12:33 PM
    As this is getting sorted out I just wanted to thank everyone for putting time into this on behalf of all of us who are waiting to see if this gets sorted out. I do want to say that it absolutely AMAZES me that TCL could release a product with Verizon mentioned on the box and Verizon could whitelist the device without either of their QA testing sending and receiving texts!!! It's hard to believe that wasn't on a checklist and I am guessing that wasn't the case. Maybe there is a setting either within the phone or on VZW's end that is different than when it was tested. Hopefully it will get sorted out soon...

Anyhow, thanks again for everyone's time and efforts to try to sort this out.
    It hasn't been whitelisted yet!
    10-19-18 12:42 PM
    It hasn't been whitelisted yet!
    Sorry for my confusion. I thought I saw links on other threads showing that is was whitelisted...
    10-19-18 12:47 PM
    Sorry for my confusion. I thought I saw links on other threads showing that is was whitelisted...
    It is a strong assumption at this point since the phone has showed up on the VZW developer page.
    10-19-18 01:07 PM
    It is a strong assumption at this point since the phone has showed up on the VZW developer page.
    It seems Verizon isn't quite ready, but sales of the device can't stop because it's the same variant used by everyone else (except the single-SIM for the Canadian carriers).
    10-19-18 01:13 PM
    The phone is setting it properly but Verizon is not in their switch during provisioning. They have to fix this on their end.
    10-19-18 01:56 PM
    what a pity this game for blackberry/verizon they're not gonna sell any devices with this issue, even worst, all sold ones are gonna be returned.
    phuoc likes this.
    10-19-18 03:54 PM
    Mine just arrived and it’s going back. My contact at Verizon in Cypress, California said “according to corporate, we no longer deal in Blackberrys”.
    10-19-18 05:39 PM
    Mine just arrived and it’s going back. My contact at Verizon in Cypress, California said “according to corporate, we no longer deal in Blackberrys”.
    I believe your contact is ill informed. No way in hell TCL puts Verizon specifically on the box and they are not working together. Since you have another phone why would you not wait a few days to see when this gets sorted? (It will)
    10-19-18 05:55 PM
    I believe your contact is ill informed. No way in hell TCL puts Verizon specifically on the box and they are not working together. Since you have another phone why would you not wait a few days to see when this gets sorted? (It will)
    My contact runs that corporate store.
    10-19-18 05:57 PM
    My contact runs that corporate store.
    Yup. Because corporate store retail employees are the most knowledgeable ones out there with all the inside information...
    Jake2826 likes this.
    10-22-18 04:24 AM
    Considering that BlackBerry doesn't manufacture handsets, it is accurate to say that Verizon doesn't deal in Blackberrys. The manufacturer relationship is with TCL, and the current handsets are Android devices...

Posted via CB10
    10-22-18 05:52 AM
    Yup. Because corporate store retail employees are the most knowledgeable ones out there with all the inside information...
    You know more because you don't work there?
    10-22-18 01:29 PM
    Our teams are working with Verizon to troubleshoot this, but in the meantime, you should be able to get a new Verizon SIM card which should alleviate the experience you’re seeing with SMS messages. If you have further questions, please contact our team at: https://blackberrymobile.com/contact-us/
    10-22-18 06:27 PM
    Our teams are working with Verizon to troubleshoot this, but in the meantime, you should be able to get a new Verizon SIM card which should alleviate the experience you’re seeing with SMS messages. If you have further questions, please contact our team at: https://blackberrymobile.com/contact-us/
    I am in a situation where a new SIM card is not possible. Will there be a fix soon that doesn't require a new SIM card?
    10-22-18 06:34 PM
    Thanks for letting us know. Would you happen to know if a new SIM card also correct the lack of WiFi calling for Verizon and the Key2 LE? Thanks.
    10-22-18 07:15 PM
    I am just curious. How would a new sim card "fix" the text issue?
    10-22-18 07:29 PM
    Has anyone tried a new sim card? Can anyone varify that a new sim fixes the issue?
    10-22-18 07:49 PM
    How about T-Mobile and the lack of WiFi Calling? That's broken too....
    10-22-18 08:02 PM
    Ok so blackberry tech support told me this over the phone it makes sense except when he mentions CDMA .......

This is the information that was advised so you can have the SMS service provisioning by Verizon. Please contact them (Verizon) and ask them to add a Batch Order for an SFO

Code, the SFO code is 83856 so you can have the service provisioned for Verizon CDMA.
    10-22-18 08:39 PM
71 123