Mom needs a new phone - she has been using the OnePlus One since 2014 and is out of space (the thing doesn't have an SD Card).

Should I go with a KeyOne, a Key2 LE, or a Motion?

Intuition tells me to go with Motion.
    09-05-18 02:10 PM
    What does she need in a smartphone?

Would she appreciate a physical keyboard? If the PKB is not for her, then the Motion is your obvious choice of the three.

Otherwise, I'd go for the KEY2 LE.
    the_boon likes this.
    09-05-18 02:20 PM
    ^ this.

I'd personally definitely go for the KEY2 LE over the Motion, as that slab doesn't really bring much to the table. I plan on Getting an LE myself as well.
    09-05-18 03:22 PM
    Mom needs a new phone - she has been using the OnePlus One since 2014 and is out of space (the thing doesn't have an SD Card).

Honestly? Motion is the best thing if you hate your mom, LE or KEYone is the same ****, except with LE mom won't get trackpad she won't use it any way.

If you really want to make your mom happy, just make her happy by some random beautiful selfie with her friend or a tree or a rose she grow this summer shot with camera by buying cheaper P20 without PRO name to save some bucks
    Last edited by iHadLastBB; 09-07-18 at 09:49 PM.
    09-07-18 08:46 PM
    Unless she is asking for a physical keyboard, you should get her the latest OnePlus 6.
    Bbnivende and anon(9188202) like this.
    09-07-18 09:12 PM
    Unless she is asking for a physical keyboard, you should get her the latest OnePlus 6.
    Not so good option IMHO if you're still about security issues?
    09-07-18 09:50 PM
    I hope that I never get so old or decrepit that I can’t pick out my own phone.
    09-08-18 07:49 AM
    I hope that I never get so old or decrepit that I can’t pick out my own phone.
    Won't be long until you find out. 😉
    09-08-18 08:09 AM

As a BlackBerry fan, your intuition is correct.
    09-08-18 08:40 AM
    I loved the Z30 because of its build quality and BB10. Personally, I can think of no compelling reason to buy a vkb phone manufactured by TCL at this time. There are better and cheaper slab phones out there that your mom would love.

I work with seniors and unless she has already used a pkb, I wouldn't go that route for an older person that has been using a vkb.
    09-08-18 08:50 AM
    I think it would be difficult to adapt to a PKB from a VKB. More difficult than the reverse. Nor will your mother appreciate the changes from her current software. Your Mother will probably not use keyboard shortcuts or Dtek controls.

Your mother would likely prefer a better camera versus a large battery.

Just take your mother out for lunch and stop in at carrier store on the way.

PS. The phone store may not actually have a BlackBerry phone in stock.

PPS Store photos in Google Photos free cloud.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-08-18 at 10:59 AM.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    09-08-18 09:08 AM
    Not so good option IMHO if you're still about security issues?
    How dare you...on Blackberry fan site!
    09-20-18 06:16 PM
    Personally speaking, I don't see much point in getting a BlackBerry if not buying a keyboard.
    If she wants a slab, I'd tell you to wait it out for the 1+6T
    09-20-18 10:52 PM

Pixel 3 is around the edge
    09-20-18 11:16 PM
    Pixel 3 is around the edge
    Pixel 3's notch is way around the edge
    09-21-18 02:22 AM
    Pixel 3's notch is way around the edge
    LOL I don't know how many threads you've been in just for testi/justi-fying that keys are more feasible the price to buy than any other notches out there. Come on, I know you're blind, just enough already.
    09-21-18 05:50 AM
    LOL I don't know how many threads you've been in just for testi/justi-fying that keys are more feasible the price to buy than any other notches out there. Come on, I know you're blind, just enough already.
    Haha relax dude I was just poking fun at the Pixel 3 XL for having a huge notch, especially since Google made fun of Apple for it last year, and now they're adopting it (like sheep, following the same trend as all the others) and they did the same with the headphone jack. When Apple removed it from the 7/+ in 2016, Google laughed, and the following year with the 2/XL, they removed (again, like sheep, following the Apple trend).

See a pattern there?

And if you wanna get personal, we all see you lurking around here waiting for any opportunity to bash BB/BBMo.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    09-21-18 06:02 AM
    Haha relax dude I was just poking fun at the Pixel 3 XL for having a huge notch, especially since Google made fun of Apple for it last year, and now they're adopting it (like sheep, following the same trend as all the others) and they did the same with the headphone jack. When Apple removed it from the 7/+ in 2016, Google laughed, and the following year with the 2/XL, they removed (again, like sheep, following the Apple trend).

See a pattern there?

And if you wanna get personal, we all see you lurking around here waiting for any opportunity to bash BB/BBMo.
    LOL it's fine, I bashed them based on what they're doing wrong. I still give my thoughts as clear as possible. Next year (maybe) if they release a good overall phone with no compromise + keyboard + reasonable price, you're also happy right?
    09-21-18 11:02 AM
    LOL it's fine, I bashed them based on what they're doing wrong. I still give my thoughts as clear as possible. Next year (maybe) if they release a good overall phone with no compromise + keyboard + reasonable price, you're also happy right?
    Can you please give me an example of a phone that has no compromises whatsoever?

Anyway, if the KEY2 and LE together don't sell as well as the KEYone, then I expect there will only be one single device from here on which will be mid-range like KEYone at the 500-550 price point and that's all (which is fine by me, I just want the niche to be profitable enough for them to stay around)
    09-21-18 11:16 AM
    Anyway, if the KEY2 and LE together don't sell as well as the KEYone, then I expect there will only be one single device from here on which will be mid-range like KEYone at the 500-550 price point and that's all (which is fine by me, I just want the niche to be profitable enough for them to stay around)
    Or next up we may see two touchscreen variants...a la Optiemus...and perhaps a Key3 by Fall?
    09-21-18 12:17 PM
    Can you please give me an example of a phone that has no compromises whatsoever?
    I do refer compromises based on price. It's kind of hard to give the example, but easiest way is to tell the opposite. i.e. I could say a phone at 500-600$ shouldn't have a poor reception (this point is example of compromise). "Fine" is also indication of compromise at some points.
    09-22-18 08:26 AM
    What carrier is she with? And, does she need wifi-calling? That would be a filter.
    krazyatom and phuoc like this.
    09-25-18 09:49 AM

Get her an iPhone.
    Mansuet likes this.
    10-08-18 02:33 PM
    Get her an iPhone.
    So she runs out of space and out of the phones he mentioned or out of all the phones in general, you mention the one that doesn't have expandable memory?

Lol, we know you hate BBMo but cmonnn

Basically, if she wants to spend less time correcting aurocorrect's crap and more time actually writing words, I'd recommend the LE.

If she wants to type on glass, there is an ocean of options, and it depends on what price point you wanna put down
    10-08-18 04:15 PM
    So it's been more than a year since I made the thread, and mom resisted getting a new phone till now, but I just bought her a OnePlus 7 with 12GB RAM and 256GB flash for $500. It is a nice phone with some bangin' specs for the price point and the 12GB RAM oughta hold up with increasing app memory bloat for the next few years. Hard to beat that kinda deal.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    12-23-19 01:24 PM
29 12