Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Couldn't find this review on CB so posting a link here:
    https://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/32917...rce=newsletter

In summary (IMHO):
    • Reviewer really doesn't like PKB phones
    • Review strongly prefers Key2 LE to the Key2

Thought this might be of interest to some people.

I have a private client who currently has a mix of Key2's and Nokia Android One budget phones in his company - he constantly grumbles about the 'Android fiddliness' of his Key2 (his history: multiple BBOS, BB10 Classic, iPhone) but likes the Key2 keyboard (except for swipe and the arrows randomly appearing), and his junior staff surprisingly like their Nokia Budget phones but some would like a PKB again...
    ...I'm going to use this article to see if he wants to get some Key2 LE's for the juniors (the fact that this review is critical in many places, will only make him regard it as more trustworthy).
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 02-06-19 at 04:06 AM. Reason: formatting / typos
    02-06-19 01:55 AM
    it's a shame that the PKB is seen as a relic of the past. Personally, I find it much easier to be fast and accurate on a PKB, and the shortcuts are excellent. And if you want to stand out in a sea of slabs, then it's a no brainer.
    the_boon and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    02-06-19 03:49 AM
    it's a shame that the PKB is seen as a relic of the past. Personally, I find it much easier to be fast and accurate on a PKB, and the shortcuts are excellent. And if you want to stand out in a sea of slabs, then it's a no brainer.
    Ditto
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 02-06-19 at 04:09 AM. Reason: formatting / typos
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    02-06-19 04:07 AM
    Couldn't find this review on CB so posting a link here:
    https://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/32917...rce=newsletter

In summary (IMHO):
    • Reviewer really doesn't like PKB phones
    • Review strongly prefers Key2 LE to the Key2

Thought this might be of interest to some people.

I have a private client who currently has a mix of Key2's and Nokia Android One budget phones in his company - he constantly grumbles about the 'Android fiddliness' of his Key2 (his history: multiple BBOS, BB10 Classic, iPhone) but likes the Key2 keyboard (except for swipe and the arrows randomly appearing), and his junior staff surprisingly like their Nokia Budget phones but some would like a PKB again...
    ...I'm going to use this article to see if he wants to get some Key2 LE's for the juniors (the fact that this review is critical in many places, will only make him regard it as more trustworthy).
    In regards to your clients keyboard issues here is a thread devoted to it. Maybe refer your client to it.
    /blackberry-key2-f472/physical-keyboard-use-randomly-activates-pointer-cursor-mode-issue-1155317/#post13271678
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-06-19 05:35 AM
    I can't imagine not using a physical keyboard phone.
    As far as the reviewer writing that one has to use two hands to type on the pkb and that is a problem, I see a bunch of people using two hands typing on a virtual key board all the time. So if it's a vkb not a problem, if it's a pkb then a issue.
    02-06-19 05:40 AM
    Thanks for this - I have actually visited that thread many times!

Good point though - if one of the client's biggest issues with his Key2 is the 'random cursor rubbish', then this is actually a plus-point for getting the LE (which I believe doesn't have a capacitative keyboard)
    02-06-19 06:25 AM
    Thanks for this - I have actually visited that thread many times!

Good point though - if one of the client's biggest issues with his Key2 is the 'random cursor rubbish', then this is actually a plus-point for getting the LE (which I believe doesn't have a capacitative keyboard)
    With the latest update the cursor issues has all but been totally resolved. The swipe up word replacement issue remains and is being worked on.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-06-19 06:41 AM
    Like all PKB-on-a-phone haters, I'd like to see them try typing that same review on glass...
    02-06-19 09:08 AM
    I can't imagine not using a physical keyboard phone.
    As far as the reviewer writing that one has to use two hands to type on the pkb and that is a problem, I see a bunch of people using two hands typing on a virtual key board all the time. So if it's a vkb not a problem, if it's a pkb then a issue.
    I felt the same way back in 2013, especially after a horrible six month failed experiment with the iPhone in 2011-12 that sent me running back to my Bold 9700.

But, I needed a new phone desperately when the Z10 was released, and could not wait for the Q10. So, I bought a Z10 and have been using it ever since. What I've found is that I can type much faster on the BlackBerry VKB than I could on either the iPhone OR my 9700. However, the EDITING experience on the 9700 is the best I've ever experienced. There is simply no substitute for a trackpad and keyboard commands for editing.

It's a fact that all great writing is heavily edited, and there is no question that the quality of my writing has declined on the VKB due to the simple fact that it's more tedious to edit extensively. Selecting, copying and inserting phrases, sentences and paragraphs is faster and more precise on a PKB phone with the appropriate short cuts.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-06-19 09:20 AM
    I felt the same way back in 2013, especially after a horrible six month failed experiment with the iPhone in 2011-12 that sent me running back to my Bold 9700.

But, I needed a new phone desperately when the Z10 was released, and could not wait for the Q10. So, I bought a Z10 and have been using it ever since. What I've found is that I can type much faster on the BlackBerry VKB than I could on either the iPhone OR my 9700. However, the EDITING experience on the 9700 is the best I've ever experienced. There is simply no substitute for a trackpad and keyboard commands for editing.

It's a fact that all great writing is heavily edited, and there is no question that the quality of my writing has declined on the VKB due to the simple fact that it's more tedious to edit extensively. Selecting, copying and inserting phrases, sentences and paragraphs is faster and more precise on a PKB phone with the appropriate short cuts.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    I miss my Curve for the same reasons you miss your Bold. I wish I had bought a Bold but I guess at the time I thought it was too big. How times have changed .....and phones.
    02-06-19 09:29 AM
    Like all PKB-on-a-phone haters, I'd like to see them try typing that same review on glass...
    I don't think people are "PKB haters" . It's just a preference. I prefer PKB personally, but don't hate VKBs. The other thing is lack of knowledge or experience with them.
    People I'm sure might feel self conscious of having one and don't buy. That would change if a popular famous person used them.
    BigAl_BB9900 and TgeekB like this.
    02-06-19 09:44 AM
    I don't think people are "PKB haters" . It's just a preference.
    Many many KEY device reviews have something like "there is no point of a keyboard on a phone in 2018/19" either in the title of the article or somewhere in the content.

I see the above much more than I see "While the keyboard definitely has a few tricks and advantages to it, it's just not for me".

Therefore, the ones from the first example are PKB haters
    Dew Berry and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    02-06-19 10:36 AM
    I don't think people are "PKB haters" . It's just a preference. I prefer PKB personally, but don't hate VKBs. The other thing is lack of knowledge or experience with them.
    People I'm sure might feel self conscious of having one and don't buy. That would change if a popular famous person used them.
    Agree. I do wonder about TCL's marketing strategy, which market segments they are chasing, and how they go about it.
    02-07-19 08:38 AM
    The reviewer mirrors my experience regarding at least one thing... K series are simply too large to be very "single handed friendly", imo. The far keys are simply a stretch too far for my thumb while simultaneously stabilizing the too large, too thin, form factor chassis. VKB thinking just isn't optimal for PKB reality, imo. A reality both the reviewer and TCL are encountering, whether aware or not. Imo.

Adding a Siedio belt clip to my oversized K's has improved single handed proficiency thru improved stability afforded by improved grasp. See photo. I can truly "walk & text" my belt clip fitted LE at about 50% performance of my 9900! Which, sadly, is about as good as it gets, these days. Imo. Significantly better than any VKB MY hand has encountered, tho. Including my Z30 and D60. Fwiw.

Typed communications is a fact of modern life. An essential skill set well worth effort to perfect. Especially "type by feel". Most especially "type by feel" while walking, or other routine activities. Once accomplished, you'll never regret mastering the skill set. Even after optimal hardware is no longer available. Imo. Fwiw.

Editing is integral part of typing. Trackpad remains unchallenged master of text selection & editing. Imo.
    Attached Thumbnails new Key2 LE review - 05Feb 2019 from IT Pro UK-img_20181221_034424.jpg   new Key2 LE review - 05Feb 2019 from IT Pro UK-img_20181221_033040.jpg  
    02-08-19 09:15 AM