Picked up the key2 le. I am making the change over from iOS to android. After the first few days, I am wondering if this is the Android experience?

Why are there an impossible amount of ads on sites I frequented before I switched over?
    Is it just me, the screen movement and link pressing is clumsy and not consistent.?
    The soft keys are just accidents waiting to be pressed when using the pub.
    The phone is slower than my 6s but I was expecting that with it being a affordable key2. The keys are lovely to press but I will always be an advocate for a larger keyboard.
    I will work with the phone for another month and reevaluate. The fast key features are great.
    07-10-19 05:47 AM
    I think a month with the phone should convince you one way or another if it's for you or not,android on whatever device I've used is an ugly mess and sadly was one of the reasons I couldn't deal with my keyone,but stick with it and try it for a month,coming from another platform like ios to android is a bit of a shock.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-19 05:56 AM
    Ooof.. This is a tough one.

Coming into the android ecosystem on a mid-ranged device, especially from an iPhone, can be challenging.

Android is like purchasing a car for the sole purpose of tinkering with it to get the performance and features you want. The Key2 LE requires a bit more tinkering than most android devices thanks to blackberry apps eating RAM, the odd screen aspect ratio, and the physical keyboard. A lot of apps aren't used to an android device with a keyboard always present.

This being said if you're dedicated to making the experience the way you want it, you may be happy with android and the key2 le.

My key2 le is setup using a replacement homescreen app (called a launcher in android lingo)

the app, Nova Launcher, gives you access to adjust almost anything in regards to the user interface which can help you in your transition from iOS. Note, however, these replacement homescreens can be tedious to setup and configure the way you like it so YouTube tutorials and messing around with the settings for a while is your best bet for getting the results you want.

Another thing you should do is enable developer options in the settings app so you can adjust animation speeds on the phone to be faster. It makes the whole device feel snappier. This is a common method for us android users but something a new user might not know about so I figured I'd throw it in here.

Lastly disable all blackberry apps you don't use. For some reason a lot of apps like Hub Inbox and Productivity Tab use quite a bit of memory and can definitely hinder the performance of the key2 le.
    07-10-19 09:41 AM
    My 2 cents is that Android is a lot like the old days of PC’s: you can do tons of stuff, but expect to tinker and experience lots of little issues along the way. Coming from IOS, or BB10 or even Windows Phone, is a bit of a shock...stuff that should “just work” simply doesn’t consistently. You can tinker away and definitely change the launcher, but expect to see different “share” menus depending on the app you use, completely different ways to browse the gallery, etc. It’s a bit of a mess really.

That said you’ve got a keyboard. Can’t get that any other way. Only you can decide if that’s worth the effort.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and elfabio80 like this.
    07-10-19 07:13 PM
    Why are there an impossible amount of ads on sites I frequented before I switched over?
    you'll need to insa secondary browser that supports an adblocker. My recommendation would be Firefox and installing the add-on uBlock Origin. This will remove ads and a lot of background trackers.

Android does take some time to configure to your liking, but it does at least offer that opportunity.
    07-10-19 07:16 PM
    My 2 cents is that Android is a lot like the old days of PC’s: you can do tons of stuff, but expect to tinker and experience lots of little issues along the way. Coming from IOS, or BB10 or even Windows Phone, is a bit of a shock...stuff that should “just work” simply doesn’t consistently. You can tinker away and definitely change the launcher, but expect to see different “share” menus depending on the app you use, completely different ways to browse the gallery, etc. It’s a bit of a mess really.

That said you’ve got a keyboard. Can’t get that any other way. Only you can decide if that’s worth the effort.
    I personally think that Android now needs a lot less tinkering than it used to, it's been refined quite a bit (as it should, I mean it's been over a decade)

But the customization options are still there.
    07-10-19 09:07 PM
    Picked up the key2 le. I am making the change over from iOS to android. After the first few days, I am wondering if this is the Android experience?

Is it just me, the screen movement and link pressing is clumsy and not consistent.?
    The soft keys are just accidents waiting to be pressed when using the pub.
    The phone is slower than my 6s but I was expecting that with it being a affordable key2. The keys are lovely to press but I will always be an advocate for a larger keyboard.
    I will work with the phone for another month and reevaluate. The fast key features are great.
    Welcome to Android.

You have essentially stepped out of modern day Chevrolet Corvette and into about a '69 Olds 442. (International folks will have to look this up).

With Android you will shift your own gears and be tuning the engine constantly. You will never win Lemans, but your phone can lay smokey burnouts if you tune it right.

Great community here. Conite, Boon, Dunt, ChuckFinley69, Elky and sooo many more can help you get rolling. Enjoy the Key 2....a different kind of beast for sure!
    the_boon likes this.
    07-10-19 10:12 PM
    I believe a lot of this simply comes down to what you are used to and then getting used to something different. I have been dabbling in iOS with my days XR and my son's new iPad. Interestingly to me iOS is clunky but that's likely due to me using an Android tablet since '14 and mobile since '17. My BE Key One with reduced animations to .5 (turn on developer options) and set up your keyboard shortcuts seems every bit as snappy as the iPad (newest base iPad) and my daughters XR for doing the things I need them to do. (Calls, texts, emails, reading news, forums, etc) Good luck getting familiar with Android Oreo. It's really quite easy to operate and set things up as you need. One area BlackBerry must improve upon is photos. iOS devices (Samsung and Pixel Android) are superior in quality.
    07-11-19 09:14 AM
    I've been a Blackberry fan boy from the days OS 7 to the present. I've used a Pearl, Torch Slider, Blackberry 10, Passport, Priv, KeyOne, and Key2 LE. My favorite was the Passport, unfortunately the Android App Run Time issues pushed me to the Priv. Since the debut of Blackberry's Android editions with the Priv, each new device has improved the Android experience. I'm not concerned with any Hub issues, I have been able to use it with as many as three email accounts with no issues. they're are compromises with a device that has a keyboard, such as screen size, but for me a keyboard gives a better user interface for typing and app opening. It really comes down to user preference regarding keyboard, device speed, camera efficiency and screen rendition. I'm glad we still have a choice between keyboard and touch keyboard Andy devices; and in fact even have two great keyboard phones to choose from- the Key2 and Key2 LE.
    07-12-19 08:28 PM
    I don't love typing auto correct lol.
    07-12-19 08:30 PM
    Set up you Google pay. Then get the paid apps when possible. The two or three bucks per app will improve the experience.
    07-12-19 08:39 PM
    Welcome to Android/BBAndroid from iOS and congratulations on your Key2 LE purchase.

You shouldn't be getting all types of ads popping up unless you're going to sketchy websites or downloading sketchy apps.

I have over 300 apps installed on both my KEYones and I have no issues that you describe. If you haven't dived too deep into setting up your device, I'd suggest using your iOS device for now and wipe the LE, setup on Wi-Fi and experiment with setup that you can keep factory resetting. I did this with first iOS device I really started using in 2014 for at least two weeks.

I don't say to be a smart arse, shocking I know, but it allows you to dig without a lot of wasted setup time.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-12-19 09:01 PM
    I'm surprised about the Android bashing on here. I love Android and much prefer it on my phone to iOS. I have an iPad and am frustrated that the iOS locks you into Apple's way or the highway. Shouldn't be getting loads of pop up ads unless you're visiting the wrong sites. I use the stock chrome browser and have no issues. I don't browse sketchy sites.

Tom
    07-30-19 02:50 PM
    I'm surprised about the Android bashing on here. I love Android and much prefer it on my phone to iOS. I have an iPad and am frustrated that the iOS locks you into Apple's way or the highway. Shouldn't be getting loads of pop up ads unless you're visiting the wrong sites. I use the stock chrome browser and have no issues. I don't browse sketchy sites.

Tom
    Eh is all personal preference at the end of the day. The thing with Android bashing is everyone has a vastly different experience based on the device they're using and the customizations they've done (or haven't done lol) so someone might hate their LG phone and love the Blackberry or hate blackberry and love their Pixel. Android has choice, that's what sells it. iOS sells because of familiarity and years of support but at the cost of choice.
    dilijasi likes this.
    07-30-19 06:26 PM
    Eh is all personal preference at the end of the day. The thing with Android bashing is everyone has a vastly different experience based on the device they're using and the customizations they've done (or haven't done lol) so someone might hate their LG phone and love the Blackberry or hate blackberry and love their Pixel. Android has choice, that's what sells it. iOS sells because of familiarity and years of support but at the cost of choice.
    There are some here who despise Android, but sort of tolerate it on their DroidBerry's
    mike_f_369 likes this.
    07-30-19 08:02 PM
    i had a iphone 8 plus before going to the keyone. Still on the keyone, loving it.
    07-31-19 01:44 AM