Over the past 30 days I have notice a ton of app updates on my verizon wireless K2LE. I am seeing 4-14 updates every other day over the past 30 days. Anybody else seeing this? Seems unreasonable.
    12-13-21 08:11 PM
    Over the past 30 days I have notice a ton of app updates on my verizon wireless K2LE. I am seeing 4-14 updates every other day over the past 30 days. Anybody else seeing this? Seems unreasonable.
    Updates for what?
    12-13-21 08:16 PM
    Updates for what?
    I check the notes before I update.

A) performance and bug fixes
    B) new features
    C) speed improvement
    D) no info from app maker

Those are the common ones
    12-13-21 08:22 PM

B) new features
    C) speed improvement

But what apps are updating? It's not like there are many specific to the KEY devices apart from the handful of Suite apps.
    12-13-21 08:24 PM
    But what apps are updating? It's not like there are many specific to the KEY devices apart from the handful of Suite apps.
    Google, facebook, brave, google maps, youtube, google messages, carrier services, rumble, messenger, bitwarden, ebay, paypal, bank of america, offer up are some of the common ones. I am sure I am forgetting some of the others.
    12-13-21 09:22 PM
    Google, facebook, brave, google maps, youtube, google messages, carrier services, rumble, messenger, bitwarden, ebay, paypal, bank of america, offer up are some of the common ones. I am sure I am forgetting some of the others.
    Oh, then it has nothing to do with your phone.

I haven't noticed an organised effort by hundreds of unrelated developers to suddenly increase their update cycles, no.
    Trouveur and John Albert like this.
    12-13-21 09:24 PM

B) new features
    C) speed improvement

And so, you think it is unreasonable to improve performance, fix bugs, add new features and make the app faster ?
    12-14-21 12:57 AM
    Not unreasonable at all. It just seems out of the normal compared over the past year. My K1 on TMO gets the same amount of updates it has got over the history of me owning the phone.
    12-14-21 01:24 AM
    It's just the way it is now, pretty much constant updating cycles.
    12-14-21 06:13 AM
    Anytime I bother to check my iPhone there are always at least a dozen updates. Reality is products that are in active development might have an update every couple of weeks.... some are patches to known security issues, some are feature improvements of one kinds or another, some are performance improvements, some are OS compatibility tweaks, some are bug fixes in their own code.
    12-14-21 07:06 AM
    There are constantly updates when I check my devices. I can update everything and the very next day there will be another many updates and several more hundred MB waiting to update again, to lots of the same apps. I find it rather disgusting.
    12-14-21 07:18 AM
    There are constantly updates when I check my devices. I can update everything and the very next day there will be another many updates and several more hundred MB waiting to update again, to lots of the same apps. I find it rather disgusting.
    Active development is disgusting?
    12-14-21 08:04 AM
    Active development is disgusting?
    I start to wonder whether Spartacus is indeed serious or just trolling.
    There are people (many of the "average" users) who dont really care about updates, but typically they dont check their app stores or device system updates and most importantly they are not "disgusted" by them (just simply dont care, or even not aware that the device or apps have updates)
    Very, very few people actively seek out updates and then find them "disgusting".
    12-14-21 09:25 AM
    I find it rather disgusting.
    Why?
    12-14-21 09:26 AM
    I start to wonder whether Spartacus is indeed serious or just trolling.
    There are people (many of the "average" users) who dont really care about updates, but typically they dont check their app stores or device system updates and most importantly they are not "disgusted" by them (just simply dont care, or even not aware that the device or apps have updates)
    Very, very few people actively seek out updates and then find them "disgusting".
    Most it's just an automated process that just happens. Mine are that way, I just check from time to time to make sure....

Only see it as an issue if you have a limited data plan and no access to broadband via WiFi, as that could really eat into a persons limited data allowance. But those aren't the customers that most companies want anyway.... so they don't bother with their "needs".
    12-14-21 09:35 AM
    Probably has to do with Google updating Chrome. Several more recent Chrome and Android WebView versions have had issues. And those issues have had adverse effects on Android apps.

There have been a lot more and frequent updates on apps on my A71 and BE over the past couple months.
    12-14-21 11:01 AM
    How do we KNOW if a given update is from truly legitimate source?
    12-14-21 12:29 PM
    Disgusting was a strong word to use since I could just as easily not care one way or the other. However, is it only me who thinks something is wrong with constant massive updates? Notwithstanding the fact that it ties up mobile data and Wi-Fi bandwidth (not everyone has very fast unlimited and unhindered network connections all the time), it also consumes storage. Sure folks will say that phones and data plans just keep evolving to be able to handle it, but isn't that at least partially backwards and also contributing to more consumption? Sure it's nice to always be able to have something better and faster, but do we always need everything or as much as we are consuming? It also just doesn't seem to make sense to me that all of these constant massive updates are always only fixing bugs, adding features that the users want, or patching security holes. To me, some of it is probably also related to practices to not care anymore about getting things correct enough, because there is always next week's update that can fix things that didn't get right enough from the start. Sorry, just an old fart (who I guess is used to having and being content with a lot less than lots of others) complaining again.
    12-14-21 03:42 PM
    How do we KNOW if a given update is from truly legitimate source?
    What do you mean?

Play Store pushes updates to apps you already downloaded from them. They wouldn't even install if their developers sigs didn't match.
    12-14-21 03:51 PM
    Disgusting was a strong word to use since I could just as easily not care one way or the other. However, is it only me who thinks something is wrong with constant massive updates? Notwithstanding the fact that it ties up mobile data and Wi-Fi bandwidth (not everyone has very fast unlimited and unhindered network connections all the time), it also consumes storage. Sure folks will say that phones and data plans just keep evolving to be able to handle it, but isn't that at least partially backwards and also contributing to more consumption? Sure it's nice to always be able to have something better and faster, but do we always need everything or as much as we are consuming? It also just doesn't seem to make sense to me that all of these constant massive updates are always only fixing bugs, adding features that the users want, or patching security holes. To me, some of it is probably also related to practices to not care anymore about getting things correct enough, because there is always next week's update that can fix things that didn't get right enough from the start. Sorry, just an old fart (who I guess is used to having and being content with a lot less than lots of others) complaining again.
    So what year do you wish to be stuck in for the rest of your life? What app version will you be satisfied with for the rest of your life?

How are updates massive? They are no bigger than the app in question. Mind you, you can't exactly host every single app update delta for every possible combination in existence - so you can only host the complete app.
    Last edited by conite; 12-14-21 at 05:25 PM.
    pdr733 likes this.
    12-14-21 03:52 PM
    If app updates weren't truly necessary from a privacy, security or competitive standpoint, wouldn't their developers reduce or eliminate to save what I'm sure had to be a huge overhead expense?
    pdr733 likes this.
    12-14-21 05:21 PM
    So what year do you wish to be stuck in for the rest of your life? What app version will you be satisfied with for the rest of your life?

How are updates massive? But you can't host every single app delta for every possible combination in existence - so you can only host the complete app.
    Stuck in? I guess maybe that's how I'd have to think to understand better how some others think, but generally I am satisfied and content with how I have lived and the world around me for the last 20 years or so, and I don't think I regret or would feel "stuck" if I had to stay in any one of those past years forever with the tools and technology of that time. Maybe I am just warming up to sitting on the porch on the rocking chair (figuratively) and not chasing everything that everyone nowadays chases. Not that I am not also satisfied with more recent years (other than for some nuances like maybe COVID, Trump and supply chain issues of recent), but I don't think there is really much today in certain app versions updates that are so significantly important than with also past app versions, in terms of being able to live without, other than for new apps that are still on the immaturity curve and evolving rapidly. When updates average around 50MB each, almost weekly, I guess I can't fathom how that can't be considered massive, when not too long ago it would be a struggle to expect to distribute software updates not by CD/DVD for anything over KBs.
    12-14-21 05:27 PM
    Stuck in? I guess maybe that's how I'd have to think to understand better how some others think, but generally I am satisfied and content with how I have lived and the world around me for the last 20 years or so, and I don't think I regret or would feel "stuck" if I had to stay in any one of those past years forever with the tools and technology of that time. Maybe I am just warming up to sitting on the porch on the rocking chair (figuratively) and not chasing everything that everyone nowadays chases. Not that I am not also satisfied with more recent years (other than for some nuances like maybe COVID, Trump and supply chain issues of recent), but I don't think there is really much today in certain app versions updates that are so significantly important than with also past app versions, in terms of being able to live without, other than for new apps that are still on the immaturity curve and evolving rapidly. When updates average around 50MB each, almost weekly, I guess I can't fathom how that can't be considered massive, when not too long ago it would be a struggle to expect to distribute software updates not by CD/DVD for anything over KBs.
    pdr733 likes this.
    12-14-21 05:35 PM
    What do you mean?

Play Store pushes updates to apps you already downloaded from them. They wouldn't even install if their developers sigs didn't match.
    That's what I mean. We implicitly trust that Play Store itself &or developer signatures CANT be spoofed, faked, etc?

How do us dumb users verify source authenticity?
    12-14-21 05:50 PM
    [IMG=320x240]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211214/d553ee269da88ce134de6549af58bf53.gif[/url]
    Yup, maybe that's me, but I guess I just don't see the full value in the current pattern for constant cycles of massive updates and all of what it consumes, and some of it to me just seems like self-fullfilling goals for perhaps miss-guided perceptions of progress. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying updates aren't important. However, if I have a 50MB update trying to get pushed to my device every single week for an app, I think something is wrong somewhere.
    12-14-21 05:52 PM
107 123 ...