I have some audio files (.wav files), that I added to Locker to keep private. When I selected one of them to play in Locker, I opened the .wav file with VLC Media Player. All was fine, and it played.

I then l came out of Locker, yet to my surprise the audio files were still playable within VLC and present in the VLC Library! The path is /storage/emulated/0/Locker/Documents/***.wav

Weird, I thought, and being new to the LE I wondered if Locker stayed 'open' for a while after password input. So I decided to restart the Key 2 LE, and to my horror the .wav files are still shown and playable in the VLC Library, WITHOUT me having entered the Locker app password!

Am I doing something wrong that I should be doing to secure the files in Locker, or is the app compromised in certain use cases?

Note: I do not use my fingerprint to unlock Locker, but have a complex alphanumerical password to enter it, which was in no way entered after the reboot.
    Last edited by treolivesuk; 11-06-18 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typo
    11-06-18 10:22 AM
    What's more, I've just noticed that using the VLC 'Directories' view option on the VLC main menu I can navigate to the Locker folder in Internal Memory and inside that I can see all the file names of the documents I have stored in there; PDFs, Word DOCs, the lot!! I thought this was supposed to be a confidential part of the device?!?
    11-06-18 10:37 AM
    Hang on a minute, I've just checked and it seems that in a regular file manager app (e.g. File Manager + from the Play Store), the Locker folder contents are visible AND I can open the PDFs etc in there without having to input my password in Locker?!? SOMEBODY TELL ME I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG!! How do I make Locker secure???
    Last edited by treolivesuk; 11-06-18 at 02:45 PM.
    11-06-18 12:28 PM
    uhhhhhh.
    11-06-18 04:49 PM
    As far as I can tell the "magic" of Locker is preventing file system access rather than any sort of encryption of the files placed inside it. If this is reproducible on other KEY2 LEs (what OS build are you on, by the way?), then this wouldn't be the first time Locker went up in a puff of smoke.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ation-1134071/

https://forums.crackberry.com/ask-qu...nager-1154016/ (I think this bug is still unfixed)
    11-06-18 05:37 PM
    As far as I can tell the "magic" of Locker is preventing file system access rather than any sort of encryption of the files placed inside it. If this is reproducible on other KEY2 LEs (what OS build are you on, by the way?), then this wouldn't be the first time Locker went up in a puff of smoke.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ation-1134071/

https://forums.crackberry.com/ask-qu...nager-1154016/ (I think this bug is still unfixed)
    Hmmm... this is indeed bad news. I guess it serves me right for equating BlackBerry with cast iron security when the thread you reference seems to point to Locker being based on a TCL app. I really wanted a secure repository for sensitive PDFs and Word documents - I have found SSE on Google Play; if it's not too off-topic, would anyone reading this be able to give me their opinion on SSE as a secure alternative now That Locker seems to have more holes than Swiss cheese?

I'm new to Android and the LE but, thurask, I believe my build is somewhere in this info?:

KEYtwo LE BBE100-4
    ABE236
    PRD-65004-041
    APBI-PRD65004041
    11-06-18 05:53 PM
    Hi
    I have the same question about the security of LOCKER. It doesnt happen with "security folder" of my samsung s10e.
    When I put a file (word file, doc file) into locker and I open it with Word App, it opens, ok. But if after it, I go out of locker and open the Word App, I can see without any problem the file insise locker just opening recent files. How is it possible?, where is the security to put inside the locker a file?

Thanks
    08-11-19 01:12 AM
    Hi
    I have the same question about the security of LOCKER. It doesnt happen with "security folder" of my samsung s10e.
    When I put a file (word file, doc file) into locker and I open it with Word App, it opens, ok. But if after it, I go out of locker and open the Word App, I can see without any problem the file insise locker just opening recent files. How is it possible?, where is the security to put inside the locker a file?

Thanks
    There is a ten (?) minute grace period after leaving the locker where you don't have to re-enter your credentials.
    08-11-19 07:17 AM