Makes economical sense.

Also, no wonder the KeyOne doesn't have an "LE" version as it was the first iteration of this series/model and they needed to test the waters. KeyOne was obviously a pretty big success in BlackBerry Mobiles terms thus the plan to issue a high-end and mid-range devices.

BlackBerry phones have always been pricey and rightfully so, so I understand to a degree. I still will never agree of opting out the capacitive. I'd sacrifice the fingerprint spacebar scanner and the speed key for capacitive swiping etc.. that's just my opinion. And I love the spacebar scanner, works flawlessly on my KeyOne.

Posted via CB10
    Speed key costs absolutely nothing.

Plus it makes no sense for a capacitive keyboard without the fingerprint sensor.
    11-26-18 06:59 PM
    @RK_BB your theory I like best, even if it isn't the case.
    It adds up, at least in my mind.

Here is another one for you:

The purpose of the frets between the key rows is to create capacitive continuity otherwise the surface may end up having "dead spots".

If that's the case, why does the LE have frets between the keys? Just for aesthetic reasons? Isn't the LE suppose to be lower tier more economical choice? If so, why introduce unnecessary building materials into it which supposedly have no function?

The reason the KEY² doesn't have frets is because the keys are larger so I can only imagine it is easier to calibrate and avoid "dead spots" and even that is far from perfect on the KEY² as we demonstrated with the PKB ghost that exist on the KEY² but doesn't on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

In my world the LE HAS a capacitive keyboard and it's software disabled.
    11-26-18 07:00 PM
    It adds up, at least in my mind.

Here is another one for you:

The purpose of the frets between the key rows is to create capacitive continuity otherwise the surface may end up having "dead spots".

If that's the case, why does the LE have frets between the keys? Just for aesthetic reasons? Isn't the LE suppose to be lower tier more economical choice? If so, why introduce unnecessary building materials into it which supposedly have no function?

The reason the KEY² doesn't have frets is because the keys are larger so I can only imagine it is easier to calibrate and avoid "dead spots" and even that is far from perfect on the KEY² as we demonstrated with the PKB ghost that exist on the KEY² but doesn't on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    You're still ignoring the elephant in the room. The LE keyboard was designed more than a year ago, had prototypes and tooled up assembly lines almost 6 months ago, and was in full production 3 months ago.
    11-26-18 07:03 PM
    You're still ignoring the elephant in the room. The LE keyboard was designed more than a year ago, had prototypes and tooled up assembly lines almost 6 months ago, and was in full production 3 months ago.
    The elephant in the room is so big that it's able to hide the truth from the casual observer's eye so I choose to look beyond that! As the saying goes: "the devil is in the detail".

I do not believe that whatever prototype that was certified ahead of its launch had to be set in stone, unchanged and go to market even if they were deemed defected.

Businesses and customers are moving targets! You know that, probably better than I do. Businesses that do not adapt themselves to changes, any change, end up having to take a loss so as I mentioned earlier, if I am running BlackBerry Mobile and I get the slightest glimpse of a keyboard issue I am making an immediate move to mitigate the issue at hand, before we go live.

IMO, again, my opinion only that is based on nothing but circumstantial events that unfolded in front of me, the exclusion of the capacitive keyboard from the LE is of no coincidence.
    11-26-18 07:15 PM
    The elephant in the room is so big that it's able to hide the truth from the casual observer's eye so I choose to look beyond that! As the saying goes: "the devil is in the detail".

I do not believe that whatever prototype that was certified ahead of its launch had to be set in stone, unchanged and go to market even if they were deemed defected.

Businesses and customers are moving targets! You know that, probably better than I do. Businesses that do not adapt themselves to changes, any change, end up having to take a loss so as I mentioned earlier, if I am running BlackBerry Mobile and I get the slightest glimpse of a keyboard issue I am making an immediate move to mitigate the issue at hand, before we go live.

IMO, again, my opinion only that is based on nothing but circumstantial events that unfolded in front of me, the exclusion of the capacitive keyboard from the LE is of no coincidence.
    I can assure you that they didn't redesign the entire phone (as would be required due to the differing keyboard sizes).
    11-26-18 07:21 PM
    I can assure you that they didn't redesign the entire phone (as would be required due to the differing keyboard sizes).
    There is no need to redesign the device; not the slightest. All you have to do is disable PKB gestures and lock or hide the toggle.

You can do the same on your KEY² as this feature is open on this device.
    11-26-18 07:24 PM
    There is no need to redesign the device; not the slightest. All you have to do is disable PKB gestures and lock or hide the toggle.

You can do the same on your KEY² as this feature is open on this device.
    Then why have a different keyboard size if they intended to have it perform the same?

The KEY² keyboard is a bit taller to accommodate a better swipe up experience.
    11-26-18 07:25 PM
    Then why have a different keyboard size if they intended to have it perform the same?

The KEY² keyboard is a bit taller to accommodate a better swipe up experience.
    Maybe housing? Assembly? I can't think of a sensible answer to your question but I still don't know if it debunks my theory

As for the size, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ keyboard is smaller than the LE and provides for a better swiping experience (bug-less at the very least) for me than the KEY².
    11-26-18 07:30 PM
    Speed key costs absolutely nothing.

Plus it makes no sense for a capacitive keyboard without the fingerprint sensor.
    I'm sure the speed key has costs attached to it..

And the Passport SE doesn't have a fingerprint scanner and it's perfectly fine with me.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-18 10:55 PM

And the Passport SE doesn't have a fingerprint scanner and it's perfectly fine with me.

Posted via CB10
    We're not talking functionality, we're talking about cost.

Speedkey is all software - the hardware is identical.
    11-26-18 10:57 PM
    Maybe housing? Assembly? I can't think of a sensible answer to your question but I still don't know if it debunks my theory

As for the size, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ keyboard is smaller than the LE and provides for a better swiping experience (bug-less at the very least) for me than the KEY².
    In my case, I found the capacitive function on the KEY2 to be miles ahead of the KEYone. I never liked scrolling on the KEYone, took too many swipes to get anywhere and the glossy texture sucked for that. I never had the "ghost" bug on either of the KEY2's I owned.
    11-27-18 02:09 AM
    In my case, I found the capacitive function on the KEY2 to be miles ahead of the KEYone. I never liked scrolling on the KEYone, took too many swipes to get anywhere and the glossy texture sucked for that.
    I found the complete opposite result. I may be getting another KEY2 to play with so perhaps I will have a chance to re-evaluate the touch sensitivity.
    the_boon likes this.
    11-28-18 10:17 PM
    I also notice a trade off as far as hardware.

The Passport/Priv don't have fingerprint sensors in the spacebar, BUT the spacebars are capacitive. They have the technology built into them. If I swipe my finger only across the spacebar the screen moves.

With the KeyOne/Key2 the spacebar has fingerprint sensors but no capacitive technology within it.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-18 03:18 PM
    So guys.. I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Key2 LE today on Verizon and everything works. After BestBuy I handed this machine over to the general manager at Verizon and at first the LE only calls worked, text did not. After some configuring the manager got everything to work smoothly. Even can use textra instead of that stock message app and verizons horrid text app, so that's a huge plus.

Will give a review after some time.

First impressions is, it's a beautiful device.

LE really is an acronym for "Lite Edition"

Lightest berry I've held since the Q10.

The keyboard is curious. Not sure what I think just yet after some use.

Posted via CB10
    the_boon likes this.
    12-01-18 08:46 AM
    I hate the capacitive PKB on all my BB devices, regardless of the OS, since it’s always creating things I don’t want.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-01-18 08:52 AM
    I hate the capacitive PKB on all my BB devices, regardless of the OS, since it’s always creating things I don’t want.
    Creating things you don't want? How so?

Posted via CB10
    12-02-18 12:45 AM
    I know exactly what you mean. Just yesterday, the capacitive PKB on my KEYone wrote a short story I never intended: 1200 words of mediocre prose that doesn't represent me at all. At least the spelling and grammar were correct, but they need to disable that creative circuit before it creates something truly dangerous!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-02-18 02:00 AM
    I know exactly what you mean. Just yesterday, the capacitive PKB on my KEYone wrote a short story I never intended: 1200 words of mediocre prose that doesn't represent me at all. At least the spelling and grammar were correct, but they need to disable that creative circuit before it creates something truly dangerous!

I understand what yall mean now.. yes there have been times when my KeyOne keyboard has gotten sweaty from usage and starts sporadically typing messages and glitching. But that's rare and is fixed with a nice clean swipe.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-18 02:07 AM
    I understand what yall mean now.. yes there have been times when my KeyOne keyboard has gotten sweaty from usage and starts sporadically typing messages and glitching. But that's rare and is fixed with a nice clean swipe.

Posted via CB10
    I was being facetious. My PKB did not write a short story. :-)

12-02-18 02:11 AM
    there have been times when my KeyOne keyboard has gotten sweaty from usage
    Thanks to that horrific glossy texture on those keys...
    12-02-18 02:18 AM
    I also notice a trade off as far as hardware.

The Passport/Priv don't have fingerprint sensors in the spacebar, BUT the spacebars are capacitive. They have the technology built into them. If I swipe my finger only across the spacebar the screen moves.

With the KeyOne/Key2 the spacebar has fingerprint sensors but no capacitive technology within it.

Posted via CB10
    And this is what makes it more difficult to swipe on the KEY2 because if you swipe up in the middle but first touch the spacebar (which is raised) then it nullifies the gesture.
    The capacitive touch on the KEY2 is atrocious.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    12-03-18 07:22 PM
    I was being facetious. My PKB did not write a short story. :-)

I searched all over Amazon...
    12-04-18 03:15 PM
72 123