The modernity of BlackBerry keyboards is dependent on giving the user a contemporary feeling of utility.

The technology built within the qwerty keys is what makes BlackBerry phones unique.

The introduction of this feature in the Passport was revolutionary. It was the coolest trick I've seen on a smartphone and instantly sold me.

The Classic was the last phone since the LE to not have capacitive keys and that was 2014. But the classic had a classic feature in and of itself: the toolbelt (which BBMobile should include in a future device).

Think about this: tear the qwerty keyboard off the Key2, LE, and KeyOne. Would you buy a slab version of these phones? Of course not. In fact, they would be average android slabs and boring. The keyboard gives the thrust into these machines, but the capacitive technology puts the soul into each click.

The lack of the LE having this bothers me. People say it was to cut costs. I'm not buying it.

Others say it's a reason to give the user a choice between the Key2 and the LE, which makes more sense... but still doesn't make sense. This feature should be on every base model. This is 2019 not 2014.

The speed key was cool the first time I saw it, but let's be real.. it's gimmicky.

I'm not bashing the LE. In fact, since I'm on VZ, I'm probably going to buy this beauty. I just think it's healthy for us to converse about the philosophical reasons why modern berry's should all have this feature.

When people comment on these forums about how they don't use the capcitive features.. even turn the function off, I utter blasphemy. Personally I use it constantly. It's a luxury not using your thumbs to scoll on-screen since they are in the way.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you think BBMobile made the right decision opting out with the LE? Do you think they will do this on future devices? (Key3 LE?).

Posted via CB10
    RK_BB likes this.
    11-22-18 11:21 PM
    The modernity of BlackBerry keyboards is dependent on giving the user a contemporary feeling of utility.

The technology built within the qwerty keys is what makes BlackBerry phones unique.

The introduction of this feature in the Passport was revolutionary. It was the coolest trick I've seen on a smartphone and instantly sold me.

The Classic was the last phone since the LE to not have capacitive keys and that was 2014. But the classic had a classic feature in and of itself: the toolbelt (which BBMobile should include in a future device).

Think about this: tear the qwerty keyboard off the Key2, LE, and KeyOne. Would you buy a slab version of these phones? Of course not. In fact, they would be average android slabs and boring. The keyboard gives the thrust into these machines, but the capacitive technology puts the soul into each click.

The lack of the LE having this bothers me. People say it was to cut costs. I'm not buying it.

Others say it's a reason to give the user a choice between the Key2 and the LE, which makes more sense... but still doesn't make sense. This feature should be on every base model. This is 2019 not 2014.

The speed key was cool the first time I saw it, but let's be real.. it's gimmicky.

I'm not bashing the LE. In fact, since I'm on VZ, I'm probably going to buy this beauty. I just think it's healthy for us to converse about the philosophical reasons why modern berry's should all have this feature.

When people comment on these forums about how they don't use the capcitive features.. even turn the function off, I utter blasphemy. Personally I use it constantly. It's a luxury not using your thumbs to scoll on-screen since they are in the way.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you think BBMobile made the right decision opting out with the LE? Do you think they will do this on future devices? (Key3 LE?).

Posted via CB10
    To me, the only reason they stripped this feature from the LE is simply to give potential buyers a real reason to shell out the extra 200-250 for the standard KEY2.

That's literally it.

Or else, everyone would just jump on the LE since they could probably live with the decreased RAM, storage (compared to K2 dual sim) and 500mAh smaller battery.
    11-23-18 12:55 AM
    The reason why I'm not buying that argument is simple.

I don't think the average buyer of a new blackberry phone is even aware of the capacitive feature. Only enthusiasts like us really know. Or maybe not?

Literally nobody in my day to day life has ever seen it. Whenever I show somebody they are always suprised and in awe. So the that premise you stated makes sense for BlackBerry loyalists, but for a brand new user I don't even think they know it exists, unless they did some research on it.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-18 01:09 AM
    Caveat emptor!

Posted via CB10
    11-23-18 01:09 AM
    The reason why I'm not buying that argument is simple.

I don't think the average buyer of a new blackberry phone is even aware of the capacitive feature. Only enthusiasts like us really know. Or maybe not?

Literally nobody in my day to day life has ever seen it. Whenever I show somebody they are always suprised and in awe. So the that premise you stated makes sense for BlackBerry loyalists, but for a brand new user I don't even think they know it exists, unless they did some research on it.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. People coming from other devices can't be deceived at losing a feature they never knew even existed
    11-23-18 01:23 AM
    Im really happy with my key2 le, i was worried about the capacitive lack but its good for me now. But, i have to admit that this lack should be compensate with a tool belt like classic one. THAT should be my perfect phone, no need to touch the screen , but i can imagine its hard to make on a touchscreen os like android.
    11-23-18 05:27 AM
    I would love a toolbar, something about physical call and end buttons. I'm guessing the track pad could act just like a Bluetooth mouse does today.
    11-23-18 07:08 AM
    The only thing I'd REALLY miss is the swipe back gesture.

In any event, when you are setting a price point of $399, something has to give.
    11-23-18 10:01 AM

In any event, when you are setting a price point of $399, something has to give.
    I have received my KEY² LE yesterday. I had some doubt if I would be disappointed with the PKB without the capacitive feature. Although I didn't dislike my DTEK60 , I did miss the Passport's PKB.
    But you are right. Only thing really missing is swipe back...
    11-23-18 02:16 PM

This is how I feel not owning the device yet. I'll definitely miss that. But I know I'll also miss swiping up and down on apps/websties. Also double tap to move the cursor. I use that a lot.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-18 06:32 PM
    If anyone who owns a KeyLE elaborate more on the keyboard experience? I'm curious as I might purchase this machine. How is typing in general? I'm interested to see how such light weight will feel over time. I think I might like the LE weight over the a tad hefty KeyOne.

How is the backlight? Is it even? Bright? I notice modern BlackBerry keyboard backlights are a lot dimmer than RIM's machines. Put a Q10 up to the KeyOne.. it's almost too dim, and yellowish.

How is the clickyness? At the display model it seems shallow.. almost like the Privs key travel. Which I don't mind, but I prefer tactility, clickyyyy keys like the Passport LE and Classic.

The KeyOnes keyboard is good. Very good actually. The Key2 looks like the best keyboard of all time but unfortunately I don't think I'll be purchasing that beauty.. opting for the LE and waiting for the Key Thrice.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-18 07:39 PM
    If anyone who owns a KeyLE elaborate more on the keyboard experience? I'm curious as I might purchase this machine. How is typing in general? I'm interested to see how such light weight will feel over time. I think I might like the LE weight over the a tad hefty KeyOne.

How is the backlight? Is it even? Bright? I notice modern BlackBerry keyboard backlights are a lot dimmer than RIM's machines. Put a Q10 up to the KeyOne.. it's almost too dim, and yellowish.

How is the clickyness? At the display model it seems shallow.. almost like the Privs key travel. Which I don't mind, but I prefer tactility, clickyyyy keys like the Passport LE and Classic.

The KeyOnes keyboard is good. Very good actually. The Key2 looks like the best keyboard of all time but unfortunately I don't think I'll be purchasing that beauty.. opting for the LE and waiting for the Key Thrice.

Posted via CB10
    Still trying to figure out which keyboard I like best. I was totally in love with my Passport a couple of years ago. Never had the pleasure of dating a KEYone.

The first two days are good. Capacity is not really a big miss. So I figure that means I have saved quite some money for good reason. But the overall experience I feel I can only give you after some weeks of use.

First impression is that the wider Passport made typing somewhat easier. Especially with two hands. But this LE is weighing less, and makes one hand handling easier than the Passport. Clickiness is pretty good! To me it's a very well known feel. Guess that my memory recognizes Those Passport days. And the spacebar feels very solid as well. Overall build in my opinion is surely above average for a midrange priced phone.

Hope it helps a little.
    Last edited by tubularbell; 11-24-18 at 03:48 AM.
    11-24-18 12:30 AM
    This is how I feel not owning the device yet. I'll definitely miss that. But I know I'll also miss swiping up and down on apps/websties. Also double tap to move the cursor. I use that a lot.

Posted via CB10
    I've had the capacitive function turned off on the Keyone for the last few weeks to see what it would feel like. It's definitely better with that function as it's easier to move web pages and phone screens, but the thing I most notice is tapping on the screen on predictive words rather than flicking up. The most annoying thing is the 'mobility buttons' on the screen that really get in the way.
    I think I could live without the capacitive function on an LE, and understand the marketing behind it for the pricing strategy. There's a BIG difference in price, and if it had the capacitive keys with the specs that is has, then i think it would have canibalised the PKB market.
    Sigewif likes this.
    11-24-18 10:15 AM
    I do use Classic a lot these days instead of Passport SE. Yes, capacitive function is very useful when flicking and swiping back words. It is always a trade-off: currently the compact size and overall design of Classic prevails the merits of Passport SE.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    11-24-18 10:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    Clickiness is a bit easier than KEYone, balance in the hand is much better than KEYone, spacebar is as nice as KEYone, backlighting is a bit dimmer/yellowish but no dealbreaker for me.

I sorta miss the capacitive but still a very solid device, I say go for it
    mrsimon likes this.
    11-24-18 11:35 AM
    Clickiness is a bit easier than KEYone, balance in the hand is much better than KEYone, spacebar is as nice as KEYone, backlighting is a bit dimmer/yellowish but no dealbreaker for me.

I sorta miss the capacitive but still a very solid device, I say go for it
    Agreed
    11-24-18 04:35 PM
    For what it's worth, the LE is MILES ahead of the KEYone in terms of one handed typing, due to the lighter weight and better weight distribution
    phuoc likes this.
    11-25-18 07:25 AM

Everyone agrees KEY2 price was a BIG MISS for the hardware they offer, but you disagree on this, right?

+ Nice to read we agree on swipe back missing gesture
    11-25-18 09:22 AM
    Everyone agrees KEY2 price was a BIG MISS for the hardware they offer, but you disagree on this, right?
    I do, simply to the extent that they have little choice in the matter.

This is simply the cost of playing in the low-volume niche marketplace.
    11-25-18 09:23 AM
    Agreed
    The back lighting is, however, completely even like RIM devices. Much more so than the KEYone.
    11-25-18 11:26 AM
    I too find it hard to accept a phone with a non-capacitive keyboard in 2018. The Priv had one 3 years ago, even though it could live without one due to its slider. Yes, that was a flagship, and the KEY2 LE is a budget phone, but it is also 3 years later.

I find it very difficult to justify losing about a third of the screen to a keyboard that can't even be used for scrolling, even for a "cheap" phone. And, of course the regular KEY2 doesn't come in the atomic colour. Tough choices.
    Livermore likes this.
    11-25-18 11:31 AM
    I loved the capacitive KB on my Passport but the KeyONE gave me headaches. For whatever reason scrolling panning swiping wasn't that accurate and kicked in accidently more offen than it was acceptable.
    To be honest, the swipe back to delete gesture was the most used by far.
    The LE lacks this feature but on day three of using the LE I hardly miss it.
    What I really miss on any BB without it is the toolbelt, especially the trackpad.
    11-25-18 11:41 AM
    I do use Classic a lot these days instead of Passport SE. Yes, capacitive function is very useful when flicking and swiping back words. It is always a trade-off: currently the compact size and overall design of Classic prevails the merits of Passport SE.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    I envy you. My Classic randomly died a year ago. When I plug it in it shows some life as the "BlackBerry Classic" logo shows then a big red battery with an "!" appears then that's it.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-18 03:10 PM
    I too find it hard to accept a phone with a non-capacitive keyboard in 2018. The Priv had one 3 years ago, even though it could live without one due to its slider. Yes, that was a flagship, and the KEY2 LE is a budget phone, but it is also 3 years later.

I find it very difficult to justify losing about a third of the screen to a keyboard that can't even be used for scrolling, even for a "cheap" phone. And, of course the regular KEY2 doesn't come in the atomic colour. Tough choices.
    I totally agree. The Passport has capacitive and that was 4 years ago!

The decision of BBMobile to make this capacitive feature a premium choice was the wrong move IMO

Posted via CB10
    11-25-18 03:12 PM

BBMo didn't include capacitive feature in the LE to give potential buyers a reason to spend the extra money for the KEY2.
    11-25-18 03:38 PM
72 123