I've heard several comment about it, and I just saw it in a review video.. I hope BBMobile fixes this in future batches? The LED is one of my fav features on a berry and the LE's blink looks weak!

Posted via CB10
    11-09-18 01:12 AM
    Totally agree. It must be a design flawless, no other reason can be understood for that little and cheap component.
    11-09-18 04:39 AM
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a cheap component. No reason for it to be software based considering the LED works normally for all their other phones.
    11-09-18 08:49 AM
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a cheap component. No reason for it to be software based considering the LED works normally for all their other phones.
    The only way to see is to download Light Manager or Light Flow and see if the LED flashes better than without those apps.

Still though, the LED is definitely better on the KEY2
    11-10-18 01:53 PM
    Light Manager works great.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-18 08:38 PM
    Light Manager works great.

Posted via CB10
    How is the flash animation with Light Manager? Still jittery or regular on/off like KEYone and prior devices ?
    11-11-18 05:15 AM
    How is the flash animation with Light Manager? Still jittery or regular on/off like KEYone and prior devices ?
    I don't see jitter. However, aperture is not as large as older BlackBerry devices, so it may look like it is not solid. But Light Manager offers Alternating Mode along with opportunity to customize how long notification(s) will keep reminding you of email/phone call/SMS, etc. I don't have any experience with KeyOne; trying to model Classic and Passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-18 11:47 AM
    I never noticed any "jitter" until someone brought it up here. You have to stare at the LED to notice it, and it's hardly noticeable at that.
    11-12-18 11:23 AM
    The reason for it has to do with how PWM LEDs work on most devices. Most have no smoothing on the output of the PWM controller to the power driver for the LED since they don't drive an analog pass transistor -- they're PWM switching-style controllers (FETs usually), which are used for both heat dissipation and power consumption reasons. Each power level (brightness) change requires the CPU to wake up. If the device is in deep sleep (main CPU clock is halted), which you want for low idle current drain, this is a fairly power-intensive process since you must rise all the way to the "active" state in the CPU, service the interrupting process (usually from a timer that has fired) and then go back to sleep.

If you do it too infrequently then the steps are visible as they occur at a slow enough rate that the eye can detect it. If you use something like LED manager it will hold a wakelock to avoid that which works but drives up power consumption by a lot.

TCL can probably improve this in the driver code but at the cost of some damage to idle battery performance when notifications have the LED lit.

Incidentally it is not impossible for Android to on its own, without a LED management app, to post multiple, rotating LED colors -- just like BB10 did. I own a PH-1 and it does it native; I was shocked as none of the other Android devices I've had supported it, but that device does, so it's not impossible -- it just takes the effort to do so by whoever is porting Android's base-level code to the specific device in question.
    hazmaju likes this.
    11-12-18 01:26 PM
    Nice explanation, at least the 50% I could comprehend! Excellent.
    the_boon likes this.
    11-12-18 10:24 PM
    The reason for it has to do with how PWM LEDs work on most devices. Most have no smoothing on the output of the PWM controller to the power driver for the LED since they don't drive an analog pass transistor -- they're PWM switching-style controllers (FETs usually), which are used for both heat dissipation and power consumption reasons. Each power level (brightness) change requires the CPU to wake up. If the device is in deep sleep (main CPU clock is halted), which you want for low idle current drain, this is a fairly power-intensive process since you must rise all the way to the "active" state in the CPU, service the interrupting process (usually from a timer that has fired) and then go back to sleep.

If you do it too infrequently then the steps are visible as they occur at a slow enough rate that the eye can detect it. If you use something like LED manager it will hold a wakelock to avoid that which works but drives up power consumption by a lot.

TCL can probably improve this in the driver code but at the cost of some damage to idle battery performance when notifications have the LED lit.

Incidentally it is not impossible for Android to on its own, without a LED management app, to post multiple, rotating LED colors -- just like BB10 did. I own a PH-1 and it does it native; I was shocked as none of the other Android devices I've had supported it, but that device does, so it's not impossible -- it just takes the effort to do so by whoever is porting Android's base-level code to the specific device in question.
    Assuming I understood what you said, why would they "screw up" with the LE's LED when the KEY2's pulsates flawlessly and is brighter.

Would a few extra nits really kill the battery in any significant way lol?
    11-13-18 04:51 AM
    I assume they used the same driver and physical interface hardware (e.g. the hardware driver chip itself) but a small difference in the LED itself (on the board), which does appear to be different, results in the ramp rate being visible on the Key2LE where it's not for the Key2.

Assuming TCL either hears that it's a big enough deal from customers or figures it out themselves it's likely quite easy to change in the driver code.
    11-13-18 05:32 AM
    Watching a youtube review of the Key2 and Key2 LE side by side WITH the led notification blinking I noticed the Key2's LED sort of "pulsates" as if it's breathing. The LE's looks like it glitches twice from a lower to a higher brighter blink. If this is how all units are this is disappointing. As berry enthusiasts we all know how important that blink is and from all my older berry's they've all been flawless.

The reason anything that's not working flawlessly is obviously the premium price we are paying for these machines. The Key2 LE is the CHEAPER model yet is still almost $500. If this device was $300ish I wouldn't care as much. The KeyOnes led blinks fine, and the infamous spacebar lights are legendary.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-18 08:52 AM
    Watching a youtube review of the Key2 and Key2 LE side by side WITH the led notification blinking I noticed the Key2's LED sort of "pulsates" as if it's breathing. The LE's looks like it glitches twice from a lower to a higher brighter blink. If this is how all units are this is disappointing. As berry enthusiasts we all know how important that blink is and from all my older berry's they've all been flawless.

The reason anything that's not working flawlessly is obviously the premium price we are paying for these machines. The Key2 LE is the CHEAPER model yet is still almost $500. If this device was $300ish I wouldn't care as much. The KeyOnes led blinks fine, and the infamous spacebar lights are legendary.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, the LE's light doesn't pulsate smoothly like the KEY2, but that is a far from a deal-breaker for just about anyone.

And it's 399/449, not 500
    11-16-18 10:11 AM
    I've heard several comment about it, and I just saw it in a review video.. I hope BBMobile fixes this in future batches? The LED is one of my fav features on a berry and the LE's blink looks weak!

Posted via CB10
    Learn, put a Link for review video if you're mentioning it, ALWAYS.
    11-16-18 10:12 AM
    Learn, put a Link for review video if you're mentioning it, ALWAYS.
    Did you just scold me and tell me what to do, bro bro?

Posted via CB10
    11-16-18 11:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    I never noticed a "stutter" until it was brought up here. And I still don't notice unless I'm looking for it. The LED's on the KEYone's space bar I never really paid attention to either. Still not sure what purpose they served. And starting at $399 is not almost $500.
    11-18-18 10:49 AM
    I never noticed a "stutter" until it was brought up here. And I still don't notice unless I'm looking for it. The LED's on the KEYone's space bar I never really paid attention to either. Still not sure what purpose they served. And starting at $399 is not almost $500.
    I guess I pay more attention to details than others. The LED seems to be fine on every BlackBerry device I've seen except the LE and Key2.

I don't "pay attention" to the KeyOnes spacebar LED but once in awhile I notice and they seem very cool.

And the LE is starting at $430+tax. Paying any price like this I just expect the product to have no flaws that's all.

Caveat emptor.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-18 12:49 PM
    I noticed it on my LE, like it struggles to turn on. No biggie for me though. I like the PKB, the weight. The dual sim.....
    the_boon likes this.
    11-20-18 09:46 AM
    Did you just scold me and tell me what to do, bro bro?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, yes I did buddy I told you what you should do then you're talking about something specific and you still not share a video, so how informative are you bro, bro? Communicate and exchange your knowledge and findings, or we all just have to imagine what you see?

No offence if you just read offence here relax buddy we're on the same boat
    11-26-18 10:15 PM