Hello. Sorry for a boring question / moaning post as a first post, but needs must.

I've just had to upgrade from a beloved KeyOne after an unfortunate toilet incident, and managed to get a new Key2 LE (I want to have a PKB phone for as long as possible and thought the upgrade should give me a few years more grace). In general it's great, but I've got a few issues with the keyboard.

1. The backlight is VERY dim. I did google this and read some threads about it on here but it still seems strange. Even with the backlight setting maxed and it's adaptive brightness setting off (the brightness for the three touchscreen control buttons is much much brighter), it's hardly visible unless it's pitch dark. Is this really normal? And if so is there some other tweak that can improve it??

2. The backlight is also variable across the keyboard, at the bottom and especially bottom left it's brighter, the top is particularly gloomy. Is this right??

3. Keys are very clicky and clacky. Don't feel as smooth as KeyOne. Will they....settle over time??

4. No "trackpad" type function on the keyboard after a gentle double tap?? This was pretty useful on the KeyOne (although nowhere near as good as the Classic's wonderful physical trackpad button!), it seems a retrograde step to remove it.

5. Also backlight requires a keypress or screentap to come on, not just lightly touching the keyboard. Another retrograde step??

Any advice / solutions appreciated!
    12-23-20 03:39 PM

I've just had to upgrade from a beloved KeyOne after an unfortunate toilet incident, and managed to get a new Key2 LE (I want to have a PKB phone for as long as possible and thought the upgrade should give me a few years more grace). In general it's great, but I've got a few issues with the keyboard.

1. The backlight is VERY dim. I did google this and read some threads about it on here but it still seems strange. Even with the backlight setting maxed and it's adaptive brightness setting off (the brightness for the three touchscreen control buttons is much much brighter), it's hardly visible unless it's pitch dark. Is this really normal? And if so is there some other tweak that can improve it??

2. The backlight is also variable across the keyboard, at the bottom and especially bottom left it's brighter, the top is particularly gloomy. Is this right??

3. Keys are very clicky and clacky. Don't feel as smooth as KeyOne. Will they....settle over time??

4. No "trackpad" type function on the keyboard after a gentle double tap?? This was pretty useful on the KeyOne (although nowhere near as good as the Classic's wonderful physical trackpad button!), it seems a retrograde step to remove it.

5. Also backlight requires a keypress or screentap to come on, not just lightly touching the keyboard. Another retrograde step??

Congrats on your new LE!

1. Keyboard backlighting is one of the things that's worse (dimmer and yellower) on the LE than on the KEYone.

2. Typical keyboard inconsistencies, but was also the case on some of the pre-TCL Berry's.

3. The keys do feel different on the LE, a bit louder and not as hard of a click as the KEYone. It's hard to describe.

4. The LE doesn't have the capacitive keyboard

5. Same reason as 4

What the LE essentially has better than the KEYone:

-Lighter, sleeker more modern design

-Slightly bigger, matte keyboard

-Much better vibration/haptic motor

-Far better signal/reception

-More up to date security patches
    Ben xfg likes this.
    12-23-20 04:57 PM
    Thanks boon, useful info. It's a pity they seemed to reduce the keyboard press quality (you've described the "feel" of it well). And I never thought to check out capacitive keyboard before buying, I didn't know it was a specific feature they could have missed out. I guess I'll have to get used to that and the dim lighting which is more....unaesthetic than actually a problem.

What the LE essentially has better than the KEYone:

-Lighter, sleeker more modern design

-Slightly bigger, matte keyboard

-Much better vibration/haptic motor

-Far better signal/reception

-More up to date security patches
    Hmmmm....
    1 - is nice but not so useful for me as the folding case I got is chunkier than the previous key one case I had!
    2 - yeah that's decent, apart from the press quality the KB finish is fine.
    3 - actually too much, I preferred the calmer vibration of the key one, but I can see how this is more informative, it's a bloody loud vibration.
    4 - that is good and I welcome that.
    5 - not really an issue for me but a positive.

Also loudspeaker seems louder which is useful.
    12-30-20 07:32 AM
    Hello. Sorry for a boring question / moaning post as a first post, but needs must.

Welcoming to CrackBerry!!!!! Post early and post often.......
    12-31-20 07:21 AM
    I would do, but I don't have much to say. I've sometimes gone on the forums to check for news and rumours and also to see about any issues with phones, but I've been so happy with the Key One that I haven't had much else to say - apart from constantly thinking "If they put the physical button bar and cursor touchpad from the classic on the 'Key Three' with Key One / 2 functionality, I'll sell my own mother and buy two of them!!"
    bh7171 likes this.
    01-02-21 03:05 PM
    I would do, but I don't have much to say. I've sometimes gone on the forums to check for news and rumours and also to see about any issues with phones, but I've been so happy with the Key One that I haven't had much else to say - apart from constantly thinking "If they put the physical button bar and cursor touchpad from the classic on the 'Key Three' with Key One / 2 functionality, I'll sell my own mother and buy two of them!!"
    Posting something is better than posting nothing. You invite all kinds of discussions and opinions which is the whole point.
    01-02-21 06:39 PM
    I'll sell my own mother and buy two of them!!"[/I]
    How much? And pleased post a pic.
    01-02-21 07:00 PM
    Own all three Keys. LE types best for me. K1, worst. I make a point of typing by feel which normally makes backlighting irrelevant... BUT I found the backlight timeout irritating on all three Ks simply because the little "teet" on 5 (D) key is so imperceptible... Forcing occasional peeks for initial index of thumb position. Peeks made fruitless when backlight shuts off stupidly prematurely in darkness. A little dab of hard "adhesive" on LE's 5 (D) key made all the difference. I'm no longer forced to see the "D" and so no longer care about backlighting. Still experimenting with adhesives. Threatened to melt a fine wire into 5 (D). Haven't yet.
    the_boon likes this.
    02-13-21 02:02 PM