24 Hours in (AKA Forced Acceptance)

So after my K1's screen fell off, I fell back to my Gemini PDA. However, after a week of that, the thing got caught in a loop that no button combination or reflashing could get it out of. Desperate for a means of communication, I went to BestBuy for a K2.

I decided on an LE because I never felt like I needed the fastest processor when I don't do any intensive tasks and primarily use my phone for communication. I also find myself rarely using the capacitive keyboard which was never as good as the trackpad. Lastly, I thought the K1 was already too big and I didn't want anything bigger than that.

With that being said, like my K1 (https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...eyone-1112468/), I'll give my thoughts on the LE. Again, mostly about the physical aspects this early in the purchase .. Although really, the change in software is not as jarring as it was when I first switched to Android. I also don't know what could be added later because afterall, Android is still boring ol' Android and doesn't do much differently than it did when it was first released back in '08.

Pros:
    -The thing looks so much better and sleeker than the K1. I was never a fan of the silver top on the K1 and they finally got rid of it.

-I love the feel of it - it feels so much thinner, lighter, and more balanced than the K1 and I like the squared off sides more than the rounded. While it's no 9900 or Q10 It doesn't feel nearly as top heavy as the K1. Makes me feel good that I didn't get the K2.

-The rubber on the back is stickier than the K1 ... in the hand, it really does feel better in every way.

-Thank goodness the matte keys are back, I missed them. This thing has superior keyfeel compared to the glass of the K1.

-Battery life seems just as good, if not, a bit worse than the K1, which is still outstanding.

-I like being able to swipe down the notification shade without reaching up to the top of the phone.

-Signal is much better than my K1

-Price of a phone has never been an issue with me, but it does feel good getting a modern new BlackBerry for less than 500 USD with tax.

Cons:
    -While I didn't really swipe with the capacitive keyboard much, I am realizing that while writing I would use it to fine tune the cursor location. I really miss BB10's cursor where you could fine tune by pressing up, down, left, right around the oversized cursor circle to move one space. They really need to bring that back to Android because it's just garbage now.

-The RGB LED seems cheap or something; it's not as bright as before and has a terrible looking 3 stage brighten/dimming mechanism as if it's struggling to light itself up.

-Still has those ****ty capacitive navigation buttons. I still miss the gestures of BB10 so much. (While waiting to purchase the LE I played with the iPhone XR and XS. it felt good to swipe around again ... Apple has really done a good job playing catch-up and I'd like to see BBMo do the same with Android.)

-While the key travel and keyfeel is good, the keypress feels softer and mushier on this phone than the previous keyboards. This can lead to some mis-presses and double presses.

-Still have all my previous gripes with Android and the half-assed hub that I had before. (Hub is glorified notification shade with anything but email (albeit better than Google) while Android's menus, OS, and UI is a boring and jumbled mess)

Neutral
    -The keys are higher off the screen than the K1 so the space between the keys and screen was more seamless on the K1

-There is visible light bleed from the capacitive navigation buttons on the screen and the keyboard (This never really bothered me, just something I noticed).

-Switching the power button to the right side is an awkward change for me

-Awkward getting used to the dollar sign as ctrl key.

-While I can see the app switcher key as being a step in the right direction for multitasking, I am still getting used to it. Some switches are a bit awkward where I have to reach my left thumb over to the right while pressing it.
    *** I honestly think I'd like it more to see them make a single press act as an alt-tab key that will cycle through the open apps. ***

Overall, I'm enjoying the hand feel of this phone far more than the K1. It's lighter, more balanced, stickier, and just looks so much better. However, while I like the LE's key feel much more than the K1's, the keypress for this iteration has become too soft for my liking and missing some needed tactility.

In terms of everything else physically, we're getting closer to a winner here. Just need to stiffen the keys, get rid of the capacitive keys and make the thing a little less tall.

Software on the other hand is a whole 'nother problem..
    the_boon, hxh145 and pjh248 like this.
    11-05-18 05:52 PM
    I'm still on bb10, but I've played with the BlackBerry Android hub on my wife's Motion. Honestly it's a stretch to imagine any resemblance. I could see myself switching to Android and not using the hub. I use fastmail now for email and calendar, but I've not had a chance to see what their android app looks like.
    11-05-18 08:47 PM
    Yoooo this is what I noticed immediately when I played around with the display unit at BestBuy yesterday. The LE keyboard seems to lack the clicky-ness and tactility of a true berry keyboard and this is concerning.. and of course the lack of capacitive technology is a huge let down.. oh well.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-18 09:18 AM
    Yoooo this is what I noticed immediately when I played around with the display unit at BestBuy yesterday. The LE keyboard seems to lack the clicky-ness and tactility of a true berry keyboard and this is concerning.. and of course the lack of capacitive technology is a huge let down.. oh well.

Posted via CB10
    But, it felt a lot better than my keyone.
    11-06-18 09:21 AM
    I need more time with this damn display unit to really compare.. I love the KeyOne keyboard. No complaints as every new iteration blackberry keyboard is unique in its own way. I am glad BBMobile took notes and made the Key2 keyboard similar to the Passport SE as far as look and feel.

The Key2LE is a blend of the Key2/KeyOne keyboards. Frets are identical to KeyOne. But texture and style is more Key2ish..

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but does the Key2 LE have the infamous double flashing LED lights on the spacebar like the KeyOne has? That was so dope. KeyOne is underrated man.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-18 09:26 AM
    does the Key2 LE have the infamous double flashing LED lights on the spacebar like the KeyOne has?
    Nope, those double LEDs are unique to the KEYone.

Needless to say, I'd sacrifice them any day for the matte keys on the KEY2's
    tnewton3 likes this.
    11-06-18 09:31 AM
    Honestly, even though it doesn't have the same clickiness as the K1, the in-hand feel and matte keys make up for it. The LE just feels so much more airy than the K1 and I love it.
    the_boon likes this.
    11-06-18 10:02 AM
    Honestly, even though it doesn't have the same clickiness as the K1, the in-hand feel and matte keys make up for it. The LE just feels so much more airy than the K1 and I love it.
    "Airy" is a great way to describe the LE! The key presses are more buttery than clicky. Unlike the pictures I had seen (even the one on the box!), the keys are the same color as the frame and chin. A really nice silvery grey. Unlike the KEYone the back lighting is completely uniform, although less bright (but bright enough). Yes, I wish it were shorter overall, but the lightness makes up for it to a large extent in manageability. Had planned to wait for the Atomic, but very happy with my airy, buttery, silvery LE!

Posted via CB10
    phuoc likes this.
    11-06-18 11:21 PM
    "Airy" is a great way to describe the LE! The key presses are more buttery than clicky. Unlike the pictures I had seen (even the one on the box!), the keys are the same color as the frame and chin. A really nice silvery grey. Unlike the KEYone the back lighting is completely uniform, although less bright (but bright enough). Yes, I wish it were shorter overall, but the lightness makes up for it to a large extent in manageability. Had planned to wait for the Atomic, but very happy with my airy, buttery, silvery LE!

Posted via CB10
    Enjoy it! I have the Slate also, real nice device but I'd prefer the Atomic.

As for keyboard brightness, you can crank it up a bit in the night mode settings.
    11-07-18 02:39 AM
    Enjoy it! I have the Slate also, real nice device but I'd prefer the Atomic.

As for keyboard brightness, you can crank it up a bit in the night mode settings.
    Most of us would change to atomic if we could...^^
    the_boon and phuoc like this.
    11-07-18 06:45 AM
    Most of us would change to atomic if we could...^^
    I'm one of those people that wouldn't want to change. Something about the Atomic irks me. Maybe it's the dark blue/red color combination or the way the red is used as the accents -- it looks cheesy and like it just doesn't belong. I think previous red versions of BlackBerrys looked so much better.
    11-08-18 06:23 AM
    I'm one of those people that wouldn't want to change. Something about the Atomic irks me. Maybe it's the dark blue/red color combination or the way the red is used as the accents -- it looks cheesy and like it just doesn't belong. I think previous red versions of BlackBerrys looked so much better.
    I actually think the red passport was a bit too red, as I would have preferred the keys to be black with red frets (like LE)
    11-08-18 07:15 AM
    I actually think the red passport was a bit too red, as I would have preferred the keys to be black with red frets (like LE)
    Haha! To each their own.
    Since I was always looking at the front, I liked how the majority of the front was black with 1/3ds being red with nice black accents on the frets. The red on the Atomic feels like bright old lady lipstick. Haha.
    11-08-18 09:01 AM
    1 Week in (AKA: Cracks in the Seams)
    Pros:
    -Charges faster than the K1

-Calculator app now has numpad usage as well as currency and unit conversion.

-works just as well as the K1 which was completely fine.

Cons:
    -Weird glitch every now and again where I will unlock the phone and it will be black with lit up navigation keys. Just a quick lock/unlock will fix it, though.

-Camera is not nearly as good as the K1: Laggy response time in video chat (not my internet as it worked normally with my Keyone), poor low/lower light performance, and slow focus. I can tell that it's definitely a downgrade and I'm no photographer. Starting to feel like BlackBerrys of old with ****ty cameras.

-At first I thought the battery life was only a little less robust than the K1, but it's definitely not as much of a performer as the K1.

Neutral
    -Speaker is meh. Gets loud, but it's a bit tinny. Still only has one speaker, but I actually like that as it's easy to cover quickly if I need to instantly stop sound while I turn it down. I typically use Aux or Bluetooth speakers anyway, so it doesn't bother me much.

-Seems a bit slower than the K1 at times (slowdown, choppiness). Still completely competent as the K1 was fast for me and I'm no speed demon.
    11-13-18 07:29 PM
    I wonder if there is an app hanging things up? 636 and 4GB Ram should clearly out perform the K1 @ 625 and 3GB.
    the_boon likes this.
    11-13-18 08:02 PM
    I wonder if there is an app hanging things up? 636 and 4GB Ram should clearly out perform the K1 @ 625 and 3GB.
    Not sure. I have the same apps installed. The only difference is I am using Firefox Focus instead of Keyboard Browser.
    11-14-18 05:29 AM
    This. I'm very surprised as I can confirm that my LE is snappier than the KEYones I've owned, including the Black Edition.
    11-14-18 09:09 AM
    Is anyone noticing any issues with the LED modification light? I get texts but the light doesn't seem to always want to blink when incoming texts arrive. Weird.
    01-12-19 11:15 PM
    Is anyone noticing any issues with the LED modification light? I get texts but the light doesn't seem to always want to blink when incoming texts arrive. Weird.
    My LED works every single time, BUT...

...the pulsating animation is jittery and annoying compared to the KEY2’s super smooth in-out
    01-13-19 02:15 AM