I am having to type this on my (formerly) retired PRIV due to this horrible mishap Man do I miss my new LE.

I am on Verizon and the week before Christmas, I jumped at the chance to get the Atomic Key2 LE on sale at BestBuy. No brainer at $349!!

Swapped the SIM from my PRIV, got on a chat with a Verizon rep and had him do the "CDMA-less" voodoo on my line and I was up and running. Although I had previously been using Yaata as my text app of choice, I was forced to use the default messaging app in order to receive MMS. Ok. I can live with that.

After making a few calls, I felt the ear piece volume was Incredibly low, so I did a factory reset, which seemed to fix that issue. Since I was starting with a clean slate again, I thought I might swing by a Verizon store and pick up a new SIM as well thinking maybe that would allow me to use Yaata again. So at the store, the rep pulls up my account and popped the new SIM in and wanted to start the activation. I said I would rather just do it myself later, so off I went with my freshly wiped LE and a new SIM.

Flash forward about a week. While holding the phone up to the Car Charging Station at work to start a session charging my car, the damn thing slips out of my hand and "BOOM" the screen is completely shattered!!! Damn it!! I've gone my whole cell phone life naked, had a few drops, but never experienced a shattered screen. The worst part is the navigation buttons no longer work. So it is absolutely useless.

Now, I've been with Verizon for 20 years or so and have always had insurance on this line for whatever device I've had. So, I went to the Asurion website to start a claim. You have to select your device from a list in order to move through the process and of course, there is no Key models listed. So I start a chat session and provide some info to the rep and to my horror, he says I don't have coverage for that phone number and I should contact my carrier. DAMN RIGHT!! I've never not had coverage.

I called Verizon and discussed the issue with a rep. He confirms his notes indicate that I added the phone on Dec 23 and I have coverage on the line. Then 5 days later on Jan 1, (which is the day I picked up the new SIM) there is a system entry - "declined coverge" . What? I never declined coverage?

I point out that during my original chat to activate the new phone, the rep asked me if I wanted to keep the same insurance coverage and I, of course, say yes. Does it make sense that 5 days later, after 20 years carrying insurance, that I would then decide to decline the coverage??? Absolutely ridiculous. He agreed, but was unable to add the coverage back on at this point and suggested that I go back to the offending store to seek relief. Which is what I'll most definitely be doing. How can some rep at a store just decide for me that I no longer need this insurance. And to top it off, I received a packet in the mail from Asurion with a letter, dated Jan 4, telling me I have coverage on my device associated with my ph# So I expect Verizon to replace this phone.

What do you think my chances are??

I guess the moral here is, as awesome as the KEY2 LE is, the screen seems to be exceptionally delicate and always document everything!!

Here is the ugliness......
    Attached Thumbnails I am shattered!-303148.jpg  
    01-26-19 12:02 AM
    Tough luck. Glass is glass, though. Even Gorilla Glass breaks when you drop your phone in unfortunate situations. Hopefully it's still economically feasible to have your KEY² LE fixed.
    01-26-19 01:03 AM
    sorry to hear that! the glass does seem a little flimsy compared to at least when I had the key 2. I'm sure it's part of the price reduction. as mentioned glass is glass. key 2 would have likely shattered too. sell for parts on ebay maybe? collect a little money and save for a new one? saw some on swappa new or super mint for like 290. good luck!
    01-26-19 09:27 AM
    Nah, I fully expect Verizon to make me whole here. I never declined insurance coverage on this line and they will have to show me documentation with my signature to prove me wrong. I'll update my results here once I have a chance to visit with the store manager.
    01-26-19 10:08 AM
    To be honest, looking at that picture hurts!
    01-26-19 11:46 AM
    Oh man. You have no idea!
    01-26-19 12:58 PM
    There are several sellers on eBay that have the LCD assembly for the KEY2 LE.

I hope Verizon will take care of you, but it's always nice to know that the part is out there and not just somewhere in China where it takes at least 3 weeks to get here.
    01-27-19 01:59 AM
    I am having to type this on my (formerly) retired PRIV due to this horrible mishap Man do I miss my new LE.

I am on Verizon and the week before Christmas, I jumped at the chance to get the Atomic Key2 LE on sale at BestBuy. No brainer at $349!!

Swapped the SIM from my PRIV, got on a chat with a Verizon rep and had him do the "CDMA-less" voodoo on my line and I was up and running. Although I had previously been using Yaata as my text app of choice, I was forced to use the default messaging app in order to receive MMS. Ok. I can live with that.

After making a few calls, I felt the ear piece volume was Incredibly low, so I did a factory reset, which seemed to fix that issue. Since I was starting with a clean slate again, I thought I might swing by a Verizon store and pick up a new SIM as well thinking maybe that would allow me to use Yaata again. So at the store, the rep pulls up my account and popped the new SIM in and wanted to start the activation. I said I would rather just do it myself later, so off I went with my freshly wiped LE and a new SIM.

Flash forward about a week. While holding the phone up to the Car Charging Station at work to start a session charging my car, the damn thing slips out of my hand and "BOOM" the screen is completely shattered!!! Damn it!! I've gone my whole cell phone life naked, had a few drops, but never experienced a shattered screen. The worst part is the navigation buttons no longer work. So it is absolutely useless.

Now, I've been with Verizon for 20 years or so and have always had insurance on this line for whatever device I've had. So, I went to the Asurion website to start a claim. You have to select your device from a list in order to move through the process and of course, there is no Key models listed. So I start a chat session and provide some info to the rep and to my horror, he says I don't have coverage for that phone number and I should contact my carrier. DAMN RIGHT!! I've never not had coverage.

I called Verizon and discussed the issue with a rep. He confirms his notes indicate that I added the phone on Dec 23 and I have coverage on the line. Then 5 days later on Jan 1, (which is the day I picked up the new SIM) there is a system entry - "declined coverge" . What? I never declined coverage?

I point out that during my original chat to activate the new phone, the rep asked me if I wanted to keep the same insurance coverage and I, of course, say yes. Does it make sense that 5 days later, after 20 years carrying insurance, that I would then decide to decline the coverage??? Absolutely ridiculous. He agreed, but was unable to add the coverage back on at this point and suggested that I go back to the offending store to seek relief. Which is what I'll most definitely be doing. How can some rep at a store just decide for me that I no longer need this insurance. And to top it off, I received a packet in the mail from Asurion with a letter, dated Jan 4, telling me I have coverage on my device associated with my ph# So I expect Verizon to replace this phone.

What do you think my chances are??

I guess the moral here is, as awesome as the KEY2 LE is, the screen seems to be exceptionally delicate and always document everything!!

Here is the ugliness......
    If you were talking to them on the phone, then the call is recorded. If it was in person, you may be screwed.
    01-27-19 06:48 AM
    There are several sellers on eBay that have the LCD assembly for the KEY2 LE.

I hope Verizon will take care of you, but it's always nice to know that the part is out there and not just somewhere in China where it takes at least 3 weeks to get here.
    The one or two I saw on ebay were from China as well I think. Kind of sketchy descriptions. I just don't trust what is offered.

I had a guy at a local Cell Phone Repair (CPR) store trying to find something and only thing he found would come from China and could take anywhere from 4 weeks to 3 months to get and no confidence in the quality.

So not only is the time frame and unknown quality a concern, I would hate replace the screen and the find out there are maybe internal issues. I don't think I will feel could about anything short of a new phone.

Back in the day, if you changed contract terms in person at a VZW store, they had you sign off on the change. He said she said is ridiculous.
    01-27-19 11:07 AM
    If you were talking to them on the phone, then the call is recorded. If it was in person, you may be screwed.
    I think my original chat transcript, which they would have, will confirm my intention to retain current insurance. A week later, at the the store and in-person, is when they noted I declined coverage. This will be the point of contention. If they fall back on the he said-she said defense things could get ugly.
    01-27-19 11:15 AM
    Sounds like you cut the process short when you got the new SIM by leaving before it was activated. If you had activated it there the rep may have asked you about the insurance. It also is possible that the prompt to add insurance never came up because the K2LE is not in Asurion's database.
    01-27-19 02:43 PM
    Sounds like you cut the process short when you got the new SIM by leaving before it was activated. If you had activated it there the rep may have asked you about the insurance. It also is possible that the prompt to add insurance never came up because the K2LE is not in Asurion's database.
    Yeah, I don't know exactly where or how it went off the rails, but I hope to get it rectified on Tuesday. First day I can get down there......
    01-27-19 04:23 PM
    Nah, I fully expect Verizon to make me whole here. I never declined insurance coverage on this line and they will have to show me documentation with my signature to prove me wrong. I'll update my results here once I have a chance to visit with the store manager.
    They will make it right, especially if you have had coverage on that line for 20 years.
    01-30-19 10:29 PM
    Update: I talked to a manager at my VZW store where I picked up the new SIM. He was very sympathetic to my situation and after a day of calls to higher ups in the food chain trying to find a resolution, he offered to credit my account my replacement cost, less the $149 deductible I would have paid through Asurion. So my account will be credited $400 over months. So I promptly raced down to BestBuy and bought another Atomic Key2 LE. Feels sooo good to be back in the saddle!! And 2 days after I dropped my receipt off, my account was credited the first installment of $200. Next month I should receive the second installment.

On a side note, after my last phone call with him, he called me back to tell me he just received a phone call from Asurion advising that they will NOT offer coverage for this device, so my insurance is now officially dropped and I will need to seek out a different 3rd party policy. Geek Squad will cover it, so I will probably go that route.

So, I am happy with the end result and I want to say that, for all of the grief that we BlackBerry faithful heap onto VZW (myself included), everyone I talked to at VZW during this saga was extremely pleasant, understanding and tried everything within their power to help with the situation. And a special shout out to Edwin, the manager at Arrowhead Town Center here in Glendale AZ for stepping up and doing the right thing!!
    02-01-19 03:17 PM
    Update: I talked to a manager at my VZW store where I picked up the new SIM. He was very sympathetic to my situation and after a day of calls to higher ups in the food chain trying to find a resolution, he offered to credit my account my replacement cost, less the $149 deductible I would have paid through Asurion. So my account will be credited $400 over months. So I promptly raced down to BestBuy and bought another Atomic Key2 LE. Feels sooo good to be back in the saddle!! And 2 days after I dropped my receipt off, my account was credited the first installment of $200. Next month I should receive the second installment.

On a side note, after my last phone call with him, he called me back to tell me he just received a phone call from Asurion advising that they will NOT offer coverage for this device, so my insurance is now officially dropped and I will need to seek out a different 3rd party policy. Geek Squad will cover it, so I will probably go that route.

So, I am happy with the end result and I want to say that, for all of the grief that we BlackBerry faithful heap onto VZW (myself included), everyone I talked to at VZW during this saga was extremely pleasant, understanding and tried everything within their power to help with the situation. And a special shout out to Edwin, the manager at Arrowhead Town Center here in Glendale AZ for stepping up and doing the right thing!!
    I'm very familiar with the Best Buy warranties on the BlackBerry KEY series. When you buy the additional warranty and have a insurance claim know that you lose whatever you paid for the warranty ($89 for 1 year) and have to pay a $75 deductible. Best Buy will then ship you a refurbished device if they have it, if they do not have a refurbished atomic LE they will provide you will a giftcard for the amount of the device.

If you are lucky enough to get a giftcard while the device is on sale you will have some dough left over on the device purchase.

Good to know Verizon stepped up and took care of you.
    02-02-19 10:28 AM
    I'm comparing Square Trade and Geek Squad plans. Square Trade does the gift card thing as well if they can't repair or replace.
    02-02-19 12:29 PM

Tonight after midnight West Coast time, I got an email from BlackBerry Mobile that for a week there is a sale on the KEY2LE! Here is the main message of the email:

For a limited time, save $50* on the BlackBerry® KEY2 LE. With a dual rear camera, and a battery that lasts all day, the all-new BlackBerry® KEY2 LE delivers a genuine BlackBerry® smartphone experience purpose-built for everyday use.

Now available in Atomic†, Champagne and Slate.

BlackBerry Mobile
    PO Box 52408
    Irvine, CA 92619-2408
    You are receiving this because you are a BlackBerry Mobile subscriber.
    *Offer valid 2/3/19 (12:01 am CST) – 2/9/19 (11:59 pm CST).

† Atomic available exclusively at Best Buy.

Product availability and shipping times may vary by retailer.
    I hope you get your new replacement phone quickly.
    02-03-19 05:15 AM
    Tonight after midnight West Coast time, I got an email from BlackBerry Mobile that for a week there is a sale on the KEY2LE! Here is the main message of the email:

For a limited time, save $50* on the BlackBerry® KEY2 LE. With a dual rear camera, and a battery that lasts all day, the all-new BlackBerry® KEY2 LE delivers a genuine BlackBerry® smartphone experience purpose-built for everyday use.

Now available in Atomic†, Champagne and Slate.

BlackBerry Mobile
    PO Box 52408
    Irvine, CA 92619-2408
    You are receiving this because you are a BlackBerry Mobile subscriber.
    *Offer valid 2/3/19 (12:01 am CST) – 2/9/19 (11:59 pm CST).

† Atomic available exclusively at Best Buy.

Product availability and shipping times may vary by retailer.
    I hope you get your new replacement phone quickly.
    Thanks. I saw that, however, I'm wasn't concerned about the sale price this time as it will only cost me $149 regardless. VZW is reimbursing the difference.
    02-04-19 01:56 PM
    Thanks. I saw that, however, I'm wasn't concerned about the sale price this time as it will only cost me $149 regardless. VZW is reimbursing the difference.
    Are you able to get an Atomic Red again? I hope so. Let us know how it goes.
    02-04-19 02:15 PM
    Are you able to get an Atomic Red again? I hope so. Let us know how it goes.
    Yes. Picked up a new Atomic LE that day. My VZW account was immediately credited $200 and they will do the same again next month, so all is right again for me.
    Brandonathaniel and the_boon like this.
    02-04-19 06:16 PM
    Yes. Picked up a new Atomic LE that day. My VZW account was immediately credited $200 and they will do the same again next month, so all is right again for me.
    Awesome to hear!
    02-04-19 09:01 PM
    I hope you got a case this time around.
    02-04-19 09:55 PM
    Very glad to hear a good turnout on this
    02-04-19 10:11 PM
    Nice to see you're still typing away on keys
    02-04-19 10:59 PM