Hey everyone, this is my first post, and figured I'd put my question out there regarding current issue I have.

I have a BB Key2 LE (on Verizon) and one day - about 2 months ago - I noticed the back of the phone briefly felt very hot (toward top part I think). Then, a few minutes later, the screen went completely black. Well, thanks to another tip in one of these forums, someone said to check if phone was in fact working by placing a flashlight up to the screen, and see if anything becomes visible. Well, I tried this flashlight tip and sure enough, it revealed the phone IS working fine in EVERY WAY, except the screen does not display / illuminate. NOTE: the original screen was never cracked, and was perfect. I concluded the original screen went bad, and went to a repair shop who said they repair BlackBerry's. Nice people, but the new screen I ordered and had them install still DID NOT fix the problem. I'm back to where I started...

So, Question: If we conclude the screen itself is fine... do any of you know what may've possibly went bad on the inside of the hardware/board? Like, is there a "backlight" or something in there? (i.e. like on a TV?) Don't know much on this stuff , which is why I'm reaching out. Desperately trying to figure out my next move... I'm currently using an iPhone SE 2020, as a temporary solution to keep me communicating, but the touch / virtual keyboard is totally NOT working out for me! Eager to have my BB PKB back.

Grateful for any and all replies either way. Thank you.
    02-16-21 12:34 AM
    What did the repair shop say?

My guess.... it's the cable or the GPU. I'd also try disconnecting the battery for a bit... I know with some LED TV's a Power Cycle can fix backlighting issues (but then the KEY2 has an LCD display).

But how much do you want to pay to keep messing around with it?
    02-16-21 07:35 AM
    Hey, Thanks for chiming in. The repair shop offered to order another screen, thinking there could be a small chance the screen was damaged in shipping??? My "gut" told me that is a long shot, because the screen itself (both the original, and the new replacement that is on their currently) are responding in exactly the same way (i.e. the touch capability and navigation is fine, just does not display).

Re: the cable or GPU being the issue, good thoughts! I will certainly propose this to them as a possibility and see what they say. Do you think if it was the cable or graphics processor/card, that is something repairable? Or once a GPU goes, it goes...with no option of replacing / repairing? I suppose I don't' want to put much more money into it, yet at the same time, if it could be repaired and still be cheaper than buying another one, I may consider it...
    02-16-21 11:35 PM
    Hey, Thanks for chiming in. The repair shop offered to order another screen, thinking there could be a small chance the screen was damaged in shipping??? My "gut" told me that is a long shot, because the screen itself (both the original, and the new replacement that is on their currently) are responding in exactly the same way (i.e. the touch capability and navigation is fine, just does not display).

Re: the cable or GPU being the issue, good thoughts! I will certainly propose this to them as a possibility and see what they say. Do you think if it was the cable or graphics processor/card, that is something repairable? Or once a GPU goes, it goes...with no option of replacing / repairing? I suppose I don't' want to put much more money into it, yet at the same time, if it could be repaired and still be cheaper than buying another one, I may consider it...
    Cable... maybe if they can source another.

GPU is one the chipset... that means a whole new motherboard. New phone might be cheaper.
    02-17-21 08:36 AM
    The phone is cooking the LED backlight in the screen. Something is wrong with the circuit that supplies power to the screen, and so you're going to ruin any screen you connect to that motherboard. You need a new motherboard, which essentially means a new phone.
    02-17-21 10:17 PM
    Hey, thanks for the info. Okay gotcha. I supposed that is the likely consensus then. Too bad, phone seems perfect otherwise. I'll have to settle for the iphone I'm using in the meantime.
    02-23-21 06:36 PM