Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I'm currently using a BlackBerry Classic on Verizon and am pretty satisfied with it though I am considering upgrading to a Key2/Key2 LE.

Obviously only the LE is officially whitelisted by Verizon, but even still, everything I read (which is mostly from several months ago) shows a pretty convoluted process to getting set up. My question is this: has that setup process improved? I'd love to be able to just remove my SIM card from my Classic, pop it into the LE and go.

Also, it's unclear to me if there is a certain model I need to look for for compatibility. Can I just grab any old LE from BestBuy or is there a specific model to look out for?
    Last edited by RCJ28; 04-24-19 at 12:43 PM.
    04-24-19 11:01 AM
    I'm currently using a BlackBerry Classic on Verizon and am pretty satisfied with it though I am considering upgrading to a Key2/Key2 LE.

Obviously only the LE is officially whitelisted by Verizon, but even still, everything I read (which is mostly from several months ago) shows a pretty convoluted process to getting set up. My question is this: has that setup process improved? I'd love to be able to just remove my SIM card from my Classic, pop it into the LE and go.

Also, it's unclear to me if there is a certain model I need to look for for compatibility. Can I just grab any old LE from BestBuy or is there a specific model to look out for?
    Best Buy should only have one... from the latest I've seen it should be pretty simple with the LE. But it doesn't hurt to know the right things to ask for...
    04-24-19 01:57 PM
    Bought a LE two weeks ago at Best Buy. They said they could not activate it because the SKU was not in their system. They said go to Verizon for activation. Drove over to Verizon and they activated it in a few minutes.

Everything, including, SMS worked perfectly.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-26-19 05:04 AM
    typo
    Bought a LE two weeks ago at Best Buy. They said they could not activate it because the SKU was not in their system. They said go to Verizon for activation. Drove over to Verizon and they activated it in a few minutes.

Everything, including, SMS worked perfectly.

So, did you have to pay the "unactivated" price ($449) or did BestBuy sell it to you for the "activate today" price of $399?
    04-27-19 09:11 AM
    Unfortunately, yes. But the phone was worth it. Also I think it depends on the Best Buy you go to. Some stores know how to do the activation.
    04-27-19 10:14 AM
    I bought a Key2 LE off of Amazon about 2 weeks ago. Went to a local Verizon store (Culver City in Los Angeles). They gave me a new SIM and not only were completely unfamiliar with the Key2 or Key2 LE but didn't know how to set up CDMA-less. They were able to input the IMEI in my account and it was accepted. At that point data worked (ie. internet) but making/receiving calls didn't work and making/receiving texts didn't work). They handed me the phone at their store to speak with Tech Support (level 1) and I asked them to switch the line to CDMA-less. That pretty much solved all of the challenges. So, at this point, having Verizon enter the IMEI + having their tech support flag the line as CDMA-less appears to be all of that is needed.

So it's not a 2 minute easy process but it's only a 2 step process. If you already have a new SIM then I suspect you can do it all on your own via online (enter the IMEI) and then call tech support for CDMA-less.

I hope that is helpful.
    phuoc, RCJ28 and thebum23 like this.
    04-30-19 11:00 PM
    So it's not a 2 minute easy process but it's only a 2 step process. If you already have a new SIM then I suspect you can do it all on your own via online (enter the IMEI) and then call tech support for CDMA-less.
    What is considered a "new SIM" I think mine is maybe three or four months old.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-19 07:16 PM
    What is considered a "new SIM" I think mine is maybe three or four months old.

Posted via CB10
    New SIM means a blank SIM that VZW rep sets up for device and it's programmed as CDMAless at setup.
    05-01-19 09:18 PM
    I was on the KEYONE, but went into my local Verizon store yesterday very excited to activate my birthday gift...Yup, my wife bought me the KEY2 LE for my birthday...Isn't she awesome?
    Anywho, as far as the process to activate, i used my sim from my KEYONE, so no need for a new one...Big shout out to jeremyr4 for the above info. The first rep had no clue how to go about the CDMA-LESS setup so i did waste some time with him until i finally hung up and asked for an advanced tech support person! Man this guy knew exactly what i was talking about and had my text messages flying through within seconds...All good now and loving the speedy KEY2 LE. I find the speaker to be a bit on the hollow weak sounding, not sure if that makese sense, but still happy with my switch...So yes, the process to get calls/texts working is really very simple and quick if you ask for the right person. When you call in, make sure you ask to speak with an ADVANCED TECH SUPPORT rep and ask them to mark the phone CDMA-LESS and you will be good to go.
    phuoc likes this.
    05-15-19 07:24 AM
    I got my Key2 LE today and I'm happy to report the setup could not have been easier!

I opened my box, went to verizonwireless.com to add the device to my account and then popped in the SIM card I received a few months ago. At that point, all I had to do was just follow along with the instructions on Verizon's website and that was it. No call-in to tech support to activate text messages or anything. 4G LTE fired right up and I received a text message even before I was able to test it out.

So, there you have it, assuming you have a new enough SIM card the whole thing is completely self-serve.
    phuoc and the_boon like this.
    05-23-19 12:06 AM
    Happy to hear you got the Key2 LE up and running quickly. I recently went down a similar path, Classic to Key2 LE on Verizon. I had to go into a corporate store and get a new SIM card, then I had to contact support to have them add the CDMA-LESS provisioning. Minor hurdles and all is good.

The question I had for you (or anyone else in the crowd) is have you tried to go back and forth? Swapping the SIM back out and activating the Classic again? I would like to do this, but I'm not having any luck going back and forth - I was under the impression I could do this. The rep on the phone earlier today tells me the CDMA-LESS provisioning is an "account level" setting which causes problems when I switch back to the Classic (can't place calls, can't text). I thought the SIM would apply the appropriate provisioning depending on the phone.

Any thoughts? Is anyone in the crowd doing this (on Verizon)?
    05-23-19 08:23 PM
    I bought a Key2 LE off of Amazon about 2 weeks ago. Went to a local Verizon store (Culver City in Los Angeles). They gave me a new SIM and not only were completely unfamiliar with the Key2 or Key2 LE but didn't know how to set up CDMA-less. They were able to input the IMEI in my account and it was accepted. At that point data worked (ie. internet) but making/receiving calls didn't work and making/receiving texts didn't work). They handed me the phone at their store to speak with Tech Support (level 1) and I asked them to switch the line to CDMA-less. That pretty much solved all of the challenges. So, at this point, having Verizon enter the IMEI + having their tech support flag the line as CDMA-less appears to be all of that is needed.

I hope that is helpful.
    Oh wow, so this will work with an unlocked Keyone from AT&T??
    05-25-19 10:19 PM
    I've been running the LE for months and it is as simple as buying the unlocked version and having Verizon issue you a new SIM and add the IMEI to your account. Give it 10-15 minutes and throw the device through a few restarts and it will work.

Followed this process with my own device months ago and just did the same thing with my wife's new LE last weekend.
    05-26-19 08:54 AM
    Happy to hear you got the Key2 LE up and running quickly. I recently went down a similar path, Classic to Key2 LE on Verizon. I had to go into a corporate store and get a new SIM card, then I had to contact support to have them add the CDMA-LESS provisioning. Minor hurdles and all is good.

The question I had for you (or anyone else in the crowd) is have you tried to go back and forth? Swapping the SIM back out and activating the Classic again? I would like to do this, but I'm not having any luck going back and forth - I was under the impression I could do this. The rep on the phone earlier today tells me the CDMA-LESS provisioning is an "account level" setting which causes problems when I switch back to the Classic (can't place calls, can't text). I thought the SIM would apply the appropriate provisioning depending on the phone.

Your VZW Classic is CDMA and your VZW LE is CDMAless so your VZW device SIM needs to be either/or but cannot satisfy both.
    05-26-19 09:54 AM
    So in case anyone is interested, I switched from Verizon postpaid to prepaid yesterday and had to go through another round with tech support to get SMS/MMS to work. It wasn't a terribly long call, and my LE is now functioning exactly as before the switch.
    It probably could have been avoided. When I switched, I went into a Verizon store and I could see on the rep's tablet there were several options to enable. One was "CDMAless Provisioning." Unfortunately, he finalized the sale before I could tell him to enable it. He wasn't able to change it after, so I had to call support.
    05-29-19 11:05 PM
    I have a question, why would you go "CDMA less" isn't that like only getting half a phone? limiting yourself to only half of what Verizon offers. I live in an area where I don't get 4G reliably but I do get 1X with a signal booster they sell, so going CDMA less would make my phone unusable.
    05-30-19 01:16 PM
    I have a question, why would you go "CDMA less" isn't that like only getting half a phone? limiting yourself to only half of what Verizon offers. I live in an area where I don't get 4G reliably but I do get 1X with a signal booster they sell, so going CDMA less would make my phone unusable.
    Verizon says they are ending all 3G coverage by the end of this year... everything will be CDMA-less.

Most here that have gone CDMA-less have had pretty positive experiences without 3G... even some who regularly saw their phone drop down to 3G. But that might not be the case everywhere...
    05-30-19 02:33 PM
    I have a question, why would you go "CDMA less" isn't that like only getting half a phone?
    Because it's required for the LE, which doesn't have a CDMA radio.
    05-30-19 02:55 PM

I switched back to the Classic tonight and initially was able to make calls and send texts just fine, but unable to receive calls or texts. This was quickly solved with a soft reset. Everything now seems to be working just fine.
    08-13-19 12:10 AM
    I switched back to the Classic tonight and initially was able to make calls and send texts just fine, but unable to receive calls or texts. This was quickly solved with a soft reset. Everything now seems to be working just fine.
    Never mind. It looks like I jumped the gun on my assessment. This morning I realized that I wasn't receiving phone calls. Outgoing was fine, but any call trying to come in would go straight to voicemail. I was, at least, getting immediate notifications of voicemail.

So, for me, at least, it seemed like everything was good to go except for incoming calls -- a pretty important feature. It was too bad because I was more than happy to have Blend up and running again.

It looks like I will now be switching to AT&T where I can hopefully bounce between my Key2 LE and 9900 uninhibited. I also have a beat on an AT&T Classic from a coworker. So long Verizon!
    08-13-19 12:35 PM
    Never mind. It looks like I jumped the gun on my assessment. This morning I realized that I wasn't receiving phone calls. Outgoing was fine, but any call trying to come in would go straight to voicemail. I was, at least, getting immediate notifications of voicemail.

So, for me, at least, it seemed like everything was good to go except for incoming calls -- a pretty important feature. It was too bad because I was more than happy to have Blend up and running again.

It looks like I will now be switching to AT&T where I can hopefully bounce between my Key2 LE and 9900 uninhibited. I also have a beat on an AT&T Classic from a coworker. So long Verizon!
    For some reason BB10 devices don't qualify for Verizon's CDMA-LESS provisioning, something about the type of LTE they have? Or just confusion on their part...
    08-13-19 02:24 PM
    For some reason BB10 devices don't qualify for Verizon's CDMA-LESS provisioning, something about the type of LTE they have? Or just confusion on their part...
    No, Verizon management are turds.
    08-13-19 03:31 PM