Google Play Services stopped working on my KEY2 a few weeks ago. It is still on the phone as far as I can tell but seems to be completely disabled. I did not disable it as far as I know (new Android user so who knows!). I have not been able to figure out how to reactivate it - I can currently not download Apps and it has stopped syncing my gmail account. Whenever I try to use an App that requires G Play Services I get an error message that states "Google Play Services are not supported by this device". Any ideas?
    02-25-20 06:38 PM
    Google Play Services stopped working on my KEY2 a few weeks ago. It is still on the phone as far as I can tell but seems to be completely disabled. I did not disable it as far as I know (new Android user so who knows!). I have not been able to figure out how to reactivate it - I can currently not download Apps and it has stopped syncing my gmail account. Whenever I try to use an App that requires G Play Services I get an error message that states "Google Play Services are not supported by this device". Any ideas?
    What is your PRD and OS build?

Type *#837837# into your phone dialer.
    02-25-20 07:11 PM
    I'm not sure what a PRD is... but the Build # is AC1448, HD version is 09, Android version 8.1.0,
    Let me k now where to find the PRD info and I will share it too.
    02-25-20 07:15 PM
    Is it possible to get the PRD and OS build info without having a SIM card in the phone? I moved the SIM to another phone until I sort this out. I can move it back if necessary.
    02-25-20 07:17 PM
    ok - moved the SIM card back, PRD = 63825-005, CU Ref APBi-PRD63825005 Software Version = AcI448
    02-25-20 07:30 PM
    ok - moved the SIM card back, PRD = 63825-005, CU Ref APBi-PRD63825005 Software Version = AcI448
    Ok, so you have a KEY² from Rogers.

Hold down the power button for 32 seconds. Ignore what happens on the screen.
    02-25-20 11:28 PM
    Please explain what this will do and what impact it will have on the data on the phone (call list, SMS etc) - Thanks!
    02-25-20 11:31 PM
    In case it matters - it's with Telus not Rogers.
    02-25-20 11:31 PM
    Please explain what this will do and what impact it will have on the data on the phone (call list, SMS etc) - Thanks!
    It won't erase anything if that's what you're worried about.
    02-26-20 07:47 AM
    I appreciate knowing that. I would also appreciate learning how holding the power button for 32 seconds will help. I will understand my phone better and maybe another time then I will be able to better troubleshoot issues when they come up. So please, what does holding the power button for that long do to help this situation?
    02-26-20 09:39 AM
    I appreciate knowing that. I would also appreciate learning how holding the power button for 32 seconds will help. I will understand my phone better and maybe another time then I will be able to better troubleshoot issues when they come up. So please, what does holding the power button for that long do to help this situation?
    Holding that down is just a hard re-boot. Resets the OS and will do no harm. May not fix your problem but it will do no harm.
    02-26-20 09:41 AM
    Done - Google Play services is still not showing up in the App / widget / shortcut list on the home screen (including the list found in the white circle with the dots). I can find it if I go into settings and then Apps & Notifications and then click on 'view all Apps'. When I open Google Play Services this way, the "Disable" and "Force stop" buttons are greyed out. There is no 'enable' or 'reset' option showing.
    02-26-20 10:01 AM
    Done - Google Play services is still not showing up in the App / widget / shortcut list on the home screen (including the list found in the white circle with the dots). I can find it if I go into settings and then Apps & Notifications and then click on 'view all Apps'. When I open Google Play Services this way, the "Disable" and "Force stop" buttons are greyed out. There is no 'enable' or 'reset' option showing.
    Google Play Services is always enabled, and can't be disabled. It also has no icon. It's a purely background service.

Mine:
    02-26-20 10:15 AM
    Ok good to know but then what is the relationship between Google Play Services and the Google Play Store that allows you to download apps, my GMail accounts won't sync... or Google Maps etc - I can't do any of those things.without getting error messages telling me that "Google Play Services is not supported by my device". This has been going on for weeks and it's becoming significantly problematic.
    02-26-20 10:21 AM
    Ok good to know but then what is the relationship between Google Play Services and the Google Play Store that allows you to download apps, my GMail accounts won't sync... or Google Maps etc - I can't do any of those things.without getting error messages telling me that "Google Play Services is not supported by my device". This has been going on for weeks and it's becoming significantly problematic.
    Are all of the permissions granted for Google Play Services?

You may also have to consider a factory reset. Something went wrong somewhere.
    02-26-20 10:45 AM
    I was going to try a factory reset yesterday however when I backed up the system (multiple times) it appears to not have backed up the Call LIst or the Contacts. I'm not overly worried about the Contacts as I have a Microsoft Echange server, but I would hate to lose the Call List. Is there a way to ensure the Call List is actually backed up before i do it?
    02-26-20 11:27 AM
    If I go into App permissions they are all turned on as far as what shows on the screen. Is there any where else i need to look? I'm also wondering if the Google Play Store is a separate App from GPS? If so how do i turn it back on?
    02-26-20 11:32 AM
    If I go into App permissions they are all turned on as far as what shows on the screen. Is there any where else i need to look? I'm also wondering if the Google Play Store is a separate App from GPS? If so how do i turn it back on?
    It's a separate apps, yes. It's always on too unless to forcibly disabled it.
    02-26-20 11:41 AM
    I was going to try a factory reset yesterday however when I backed up the system (multiple times) it appears to not have backed up the Call LIst or the Contacts. I'm not overly worried about the Contacts as I have a Microsoft Echange server, but I would hate to lose the Call List. Is there a way to ensure the Call List is actually backed up before i do it?
    Here's a popular Play Store app called SMS Backup & Restore:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/syncte...-apk-download/

It backs up SMS, MMS, and call logs.
    02-26-20 11:43 AM
    Sounds like a great plan - how do I download it when Google Play Store is missing off my phone?
    02-26-20 12:02 PM
    Sounds like a great plan - how do I download it when Google Play Store is missing off my phone?
    I gave you a link.
    02-26-20 12:33 PM
    Could also download Aurora Store from F-Droid in the meantime to get any backup app from the Play Store. I don't even use Google Play Store on my android device.
    02-26-20 12:39 PM
    Is there a link to download the Play Store as well? It's incredibly frustrating not to be able to access Apps quickly and easily!
    02-26-20 06:11 PM
    Is there a link to download the Play Store as well? It's incredibly frustrating not to be able to access Apps quickly and easily!
    You already have it running on your device.
    02-26-20 07:09 PM
    Well that's a key part of the problem - The Play Store may be running on my device however it is not visible, accessible or anywhere I can locate it. It's not much use if it's deactivated, lost, hidden or for whatever reason 'inaccessible'. If it's running on my device, how do I find it? It does not show up on any of the App lists, on the home screen or in any of the settings.
    02-26-20 08:02 PM
44 12