Hi there, Crackberry!

After a long hiatus, I’ve decided to purchase a BlackBerry Key2 LE using Verizon’s network. I’ve read that consumers using their network ran into issues, so I was hoping for advice. For those that have this phone on Verizon’s network, what steps did you have to take for it to be completely functional? I’ve read that texting was an issue for a lot of people, so a comprehensive step by step resolution for this would be VERY appreciated.

If you all could give me any other issues to keep an eye on, and it’s solution, I would be very grateful.

Last question, have any of you streamed using Hulu live or Netflix? If so, did you experience any lags? I’m a bit concerned that streaming live tv channels will lag a lot. If that’s not the case, I’d love to hear it on here.

Take care!
    01-14-19 04:55 PM
    Best practice is to have VZW give you a new Sim card. Everything fired right up without a hitch from there for me, except incoming SMS/MMS. in order to get that working, you'll need and request that they add the "CDMA-less" feature to the line. I did that part in a chat with level 1, so not a big deal. Or just have the rep at the store do it when you pick up the SIM. The only hitch to this is you'll need to use the stock texting app for the incoming to work. I had been using Yaata previously, but incoming SMS/MMS will not work with 3rd party text apps for whatever reason.

Why are you concerned about lag with Netflix and the like? Just as with any device, it's only as good as your connection speed. Although I generally don't watch movies on my phone, the Netflix app runs flawlessly whenever I have watched an occasional trailer, or any other streaming media I've played.

To sum up, my experience getting this phone running on VZW has been pretty simple and trouble free. There may have been some issues when the phone was first certified, but that's ancient history now I think. So my recommendation is just get the phone, activate and enjoy. It is an awesome device and I couldn't be happier!!
    BeigePower00565784 likes this.
    01-14-19 07:05 PM
    I just activated my Key2 LE yesterday on Verizon. No issues whatsoever. I did not need a new sim. I did not need to call Verizon tech support. I just popped the sim out of my iPhone and put it in the Key 2 LE. I used the on line phone switch on the verizon wireless website. No SMS or MMS issues. Netflix streams fine.
    01-14-19 07:09 PM
    I just activated my Key2 LE yesterday on Verizon. No issues whatsoever. I did not need a new sim. I did not need to call Verizon tech support. I just popped the sim out of my iPhone and put it in the Key 2 LE. I used the on line phone switch on the verizon wireless website. No SMS or MMS issues. Netflix streams fine.
    How old is your SIM card?
    01-14-19 07:13 PM
    How old is your SIM card?
    A year and a half old
    01-14-19 07:26 PM
    Best practice is to have VZW give you a new Sim card. Everything fired right up without a hitch from there for me, except incoming SMS/MMS. in order to get that working, you'll need and request that they add the "CDMA-less" feature to the line. I did that part in a chat with level 1, so not a big deal. Or just have the rep at the store do it when you pick up the SIM. The only hitch to this is you'll need to use the stock texting app for the incoming to work. I had been using Yaata previously, but incoming SMS/MMS will not work with 3rd party text apps for whatever reason.

Why are you concerned about lag with Netflix and the like? Just as with any device, it's only as good as your connection speed. Although I generally don't watch movies on my phone, the Netflix app runs flawlessly whenever I have watched an occasional trailer, or any other streaming media I've played.

To sum up, my experience getting this phone running on VZW has been pretty simple and trouble free. There may have been some issues when the phone was first certified, but that's ancient history now I think. So my recommendation is just get the phone, activate and enjoy. It is an awesome device and I couldn't be happier!!
    Thanks for the in depth write up, Jedd! I’m looking forward to getting my phone in the morning. Quick question for you, which texting app did you download and utilize to resolve the sms/mms issue? Is it called Yaata? Not familiar with the name so I wanted to clarify. I read online that some people had to un-install the texting app that came with the phone and use Messanger instead. Do you see any issues with using Messanger? Thanks again.
    01-14-19 08:15 PM
    Thanks for your response, Jim! Glad to hear you didn’t experience any issues. I’ll play around with my phone tomorrow and hope everything works out.

So you had to go into your Verizon account and used the online phone switch process? Wasn’t aware I had to do that so thanks for the heads up.
    01-14-19 08:17 PM
    I made the switch a couple weeks ago.

I have experienced the issue with not receiving my texts however I did not get a new sim card I just swapped it straight from my Pixel 2 and haven't yet been to Verizon or processed the activation through their website.

I mainly use Google Voice so it isn't a big deal but just note you'll most likely have to go through a proper activation process with a new sim, as others have suggested.

All that being said, everything else works flawlessly! If you know what you're getting into and you must have that physical keyboard it's worth the small struggle.

Lastly note that it is an LTE only device so you cannot fall back on 3g if service is spotty. WiFi helps mitigate that issue for the most part but if you're heavy on communication I advise looking into voIP and messaging options.
    01-14-19 09:29 PM
    Thanks for the in depth write up, Jedd! I’m looking forward to getting my phone in the morning. Quick question for you, which texting app did you download and utilize to resolve the sms/mms issue? Is it called Yaata? Not familiar with the name so I wanted to clarify. I read online that some people had to un-install the texting app that came with the phone and use Messanger instead. Do you see any issues with using Messanger? Thanks again.
    BeigePower. The pre-installed text app (messages) is the one that works. I was using Yaata on my PRIV. However, Yaata will not receive SMS/MMS on the LE. Yaata is similar to Textra, which is the other popular 3rd party messaging app. So no need to download anything. Just the opposite. They won't work. Although I prefer the fine grain customization available with Yaata, the stock messaging app does just fine. I can live with it.

I actually swapped the SIM from PRIV at first and instantly everything was working just fine. I only got a new Sim so my account would not indicate that I was still using the PRIV when I looked at it online. It just bugged me that "my devices" was still showing the PRIV. I noticed someone else mentioned in this thread that they swapped Sim from an iPhone and didn't need to do anything as far as requesting the CDMA-less feature. I believe that was due to some iPhones already running on the network were already were CDMA-Less devices to begin with. If I am correct, then that would be the reason all outgoing AND incoming SMS was functioning out of the box.

In all honesty, there really should be no struggle for you activating the LE on VZW. Enjoy!
    BeigePower00565784 likes this.
    01-14-19 10:12 PM
    BeigePower. The pre-installed text app (messages) is the one that works. I was using Yaata on my PRIV. However, Yaata will not receive SMS/MMS on the LE. Yaata is similar to Textra, which is the other popular 3rd party messaging app. So no need to download anything. Just the opposite. They won't work. Although I prefer the fine grain customization available with Yaata, the stock messaging app does just fine. I can live with it.

I actually swapped the SIM from PRIV at first and instantly everything was working just fine. I only got a new Sim so my account would not indicate that I was still using the PRIV when I looked at it online. It just bugged me that "my devices" was still showing the PRIV. I noticed someone else mentioned in this thread that they swapped Sim from an iPhone and didn't need to do anything as far as requesting the CDMA-less feature. I believe that was due to some iPhones already running on the network were already were CDMA-Less devices to begin with. If I am correct, then that would be the reason all outgoing AND incoming SMS was functioning out of the box.

In all honesty, there really should be no struggle for you activating the LE on VZW. Enjoy!
    Really appreciate the responses! Have a great night.
    01-14-19 10:17 PM
    Thanks for your response, Jim! Glad to hear you didn’t experience any issues. I’ll play around with my phone tomorrow and hope everything works out.

So you had to go into your Verizon account and used the online phone switch process? Wasn’t aware I had to do that so thanks for the heads up.
    Yes go to your account and select device add or switch device. It will ask for the IMEI of your Key 2 LE then follow the prompts. BTW, I use BB hub for texts with no issues. Good luck with the new phone.
    BeigePower00565784 and phuoc like this.
    01-15-19 05:12 AM
    I activated my LE a few weeks ago. Got a new sim. Adjusted network settings to be LTE Only. I tested texting (SMS and MMS - using built in app) at the verizon store. Initially, i could send, but not receive. This issue self corrected in about 15-20 mins. Not sure how or why, but it did. Perhaps it take a few minutes for Verizon's network to process and adjust.

Phone works great. Its speedy and responsive. Also, I haven't had any problems with coverage. I am in the Philly suburbs. Spent last weekend in Miami area and it worked fine.

Tom
    phuoc likes this.
    01-15-19 12:43 PM
    I'm hoping a future software update allows for the use of other texting apps. I prefer to do all of my messaging with Signal. Will be buying an LE as soon as it goes back on sale, and hopefully that's worked out by then.
    01-15-19 08:27 PM
    Folks had trouble initially because CDMA-less phones are a new thing on Verizon, and because Verizon had announced support for the K2LE before they had gotten the activation procedures setup and automated correctly in their system. That was several weeks ago, though, and by now, they should have it all worked out and it should be straightforward.
    01-16-19 01:56 PM
    Shoulda bought the LE when it was 300bux. ugh
    phuoc and bibbula like this.
    01-21-19 11:21 PM
    Folks had trouble initially because CDMA-less phones are a new thing on Verizon, and because Verizon had announced support for the K2LE before they had gotten the activation procedures setup and automated correctly in their system. That was several weeks ago, though, and by now, they should have it all worked out and it should be straightforward.
    Are there any flaws to this method? i've read that most attempts to make a key2 work on verizon are only temporarily sucessful.
    06-07-19 10:59 PM
    Are there any flaws to this method? i've read that most attempts to make a key2 work on verizon are only temporarily sucessful.
    Based on what I have read and personally experienced that is not true. Once you get your account setup as CDMA-less you can swap phones very easily as long as you have a new/newer SIM. I have been using a Key2 LE on VZW for about 1-1.5 months now without any issues and I swapped one already without a hitch (did it online). The key is calling Technical Support to get your line setup as CDMA-less. If you don't do that then it won't work properly...
    06-08-19 12:40 PM
    Based on what I have read and personally experienced that is not true. Once you get your account setup as CDMA-less you can swap phones very easily as long as you have a new/newer SIM. I have been using a Key2 LE on VZW for about 1-1.5 months now without any issues and I swapped one already without a hitch (did it online). The key is calling Technical Support to get your line setup as CDMA-less. If you don't do that then it won't work properly...
    The LE you have is VZW supported, correct? I believe the question you replied to, is Key2 activation on VZW which is technically not supported...
    06-08-19 08:21 PM
    The LE you have is VZW supported, correct? I believe the question you replied to, is Key2 activation on VZW which is technically not supported...
    Thanks Chuck. I do have an LE - this thread is literally titled "Getting Blackberry Key2 LE...". So I assumed the previous post was regarding the LE but I could be wrong.

For whoever asked that question, if you had the Key2 in mind then you will probably want to ask that question in the Key2 forums (this is the Key2 LE forums).
    bibbula likes this.
    06-09-19 01:32 AM
    Activated two LEs on Verizon (three months ago and two weeks ago). Simply took my phone directly from Best Buy and had Verizon add the IMEI to my account and issue me a new SIM card.

I've never had to have them add the CDMA-less feature. Put my phone through a few reboots, downloaded Textra, zero issues sending and receiving SMS MMS.
    06-10-19 07:43 AM
    Now that VZW is selling the LE via their Enterprise channels... should be no issues.
    06-10-19 07:55 AM
    Now that VZW is selling the LE via their Enterprise channels... should be no issues.
    Yeah right. I bet none of the sales people at the Verizon stores will even know about it lol!
    phuoc likes this.
    06-10-19 08:10 AM
    which K2 le models work on Verizon. I'm not sure how many there are. there are single SIM ones and dual SIM and at least a "-2" and a "-5" that I have seen referred to at various times. will they all work? I assume there is a model best configured for North America generally and possibly for Verizon. I am planning to replace my Z30 with an le, and time is ticking away until December 31. I'm not sure what will happen on January 1 to the Z30 and no one else seems to know either. will it be instantly non operable? or will it just gradually die as fewer things work? any help on the K2 le model(s) for Verizon will be appreciated. right now that's my plan for replacing the Z30 when it dies ir is killed. thanks in advance.
    06-19-19 11:30 AM
    which K2 le models work on Verizon. I'm not sure how many there are. there are single SIM ones and dual SIM and at least a "-2" and a "-5" that I have seen referred to at various times. will they all work? I assume there is a model best configured for North America generally and possibly for Verizon. I am planning to replace my Z30 with an le, and time is ticking away until December 31. I'm not sure what will happen on January 1 to the Z30 and no one else seems to know either. will it be instantly non operable? or will it just gradually die as fewer things work? any help on the K2 le model(s) for Verizon will be appreciated. right now that's my plan for replacing the Z30 when it dies ir is killed. thanks in advance.
    Mine is the -5 model. Buy it and take it to your Verizon store, they will activate it for you.
    06-19-19 12:03 PM
    thank you!
    06-19-19 12:08 PM
50 12