I haven't managed to figure out how the dual camera works and whether I need to know how to switch from one to the other or whether that happens automatically.

I looked at the manual that I downloaded from the Blackberry site and it's useless -- looks like it was written for Key2 (not LE) and it explains almost nothing.
    11-04-18 08:10 AM
    As far as I can tell the second lens on the KEY2LE is used to allow portrait mode photos (i.e. bokeh effects) without being directly selectable.
    11-04-18 08:55 AM
    Check out for a "telecamera" description. :-)
    11-04-18 09:34 AM
    Sorry but that answer isn't any more understandable than the useless manual
    11-04-18 09:39 AM
    one is for telephoto photos aka zoom feature. they both help each other out however for depth in photos. the "blur" effect is all software.
    11-04-18 11:10 AM
    can any one compare KEY2 vs KEY2 LE photos quality? how different they are?
    11-22-18 08:08 PM
    One lens is a telephoto (zoom, typically 2X). It allows many features such as zooming optically (not to be confused with digital zoom). It also allows the phone to use the second lens to collect “depth of field” data.

Now what does that mean for you? Well it’s all done for you... you don’t have to select a lens.

Now what does depth of field mean: basically it’s a feature that allows the phone to recognize what’s the foreground and the background. Like you have two eyes... allowing you to see the “depth of field” the phone will also be able to do that.
    11-22-18 08:17 PM
    One lens is a telephoto (zoom, typically 2X). It allows many features such as zooming optically (not to be confused with digital zoom). It also allows the phone to use the second lens to collect “depth of field” data.

Now what does that mean for you? Well it’s all done for you... you don’t have to select a lens.

Now what does depth of field mean: basically it’s a feature that allows the phone to recognize what’s the foreground and the background. Like you have two eyes... allowing you to see the “depth of field” the phone will also be able to do that.
    So does KEY2 LE at least make a better photos then KEYone now if going for upgrade?

+ I hope it doesn't make a zoom nonsense created by Apple then making portrait pictures?
    11-22-18 08:22 PM
    So does KEY2 LE at least make a better photos then KEYone now if going for upgrade?

+ I hope it doesn't make a zoom nonsense created by Apple then making portrait pictures?
    Haha well Apple first brought it to the smartphone market.... so if that’s what you mean then that’s what it is!

It’s not a “zoom” and “make portrait”. It allows the phone to recognize what is background and what is foreground.

Like what the human brain does: while you are reading this... everything is the back is blurred. I don’t know if the LE does better pics than the KeyOne... I don’t have either. But in theory it should. In practice, I saw many threads here that it doesn’t.
    11-22-18 08:35 PM
    The LE does not have a “optical zoom” feature. The secondary camera is depth sensing not for “zooming” like on the K2
    11-23-18 05:41 AM
    The LE does not have a “optical zoom” feature. The secondary camera is depth sensing not for “zooming” like on the K2
    Oh didn’t know that. That suck! Since they are putting a second camera... why didn’t they just put a telephoto one?
    11-23-18 04:26 PM
    So you're saying KEY2 makes zoomed nonsense like iPhones?
    11-23-18 07:20 PM
    Haha well Apple first brought it to the smartphone market.... so if that’s what you mean then that’s what it is!

It’s not a “zoom” and “make portrait”. It allows the phone to recognize what is background and what is foreground.

Like what the human brain does: while you are reading this... everything is the back is blurred. I don’t know if the LE does better pics than the KeyOne... I don’t have either. But in theory it should. In practice, I saw many threads here that it doesn’t.
    Can this feature be turned on, off and/or adjusted?
    11-25-18 04:13 AM
    Can this feature be turned on, off and/or adjusted?
    Yeah... you can take standard pictures that doesn’t have this feature.

And if you take portrait pictures... the phone will record the depth information and you can adjust or remove even after taking the picture
    11-25-18 09:08 AM
    So you're saying KEY2 makes zoomed nonsense like iPhones?
    The bokeh effect on mobile cameras replicate the large aperture photos taken on "real" cameras. It is a desirable effect in photography, as almost all portraits are done this way.
    11-25-18 09:44 AM
    The bokeh effect on mobile cameras replicate the large aperture photos taken on "real" cameras. It is a desirable effect in photography, as almost all portraits are done this way.
    Bravo exactly, it is aperture mode, non "real" camera's does autozoom nonsense created by Apple or does it?
    That's why I love what Huawei done since P9 came. It acts like real camera and aperture mode on Huawei devices is a dream to play with.

Autozoom "portrait" marketing garbage nightmare mode created by Apple is the worst IMHO and everyone ignorantly fall for it even more worse.
    iPhone XR finally acts like it should act since introduction. Sadly, iPhone XR also only "works" on your face, if you know what I'm saying 😁
    11-25-18 09:59 AM
    Bravo exactly, it is aperture mode, non "real" camera's does autozoom nonsense created by Apple or does it?
    That's why I love what Huawei done since P9 came. It acts like real camera and aperture mode on Huawei devices is a dream to play with.
    Autozoom "portrait" marketing garbage nightmare mode created by Apple is the worst IMHO and everyone ignorantly fall for it even more worse. iPhone XR finally acts like it should act since introduction. Sadly, iPhone XR also only "works" on your faces, if you know what I'm saying
    Huawei uses somewhat the same procedure. Large aperture has to be "faked" on mobile cameras.

Some implementations use multiple sensors, some (like Pixel) use astounding AI, and many use combinations of both.

Putting aside your ridiculous hyperbole, the new Apple camera is still rated second on planet Earth.
    Last edited by conite; 11-25-18 at 10:29 AM.
    11-25-18 10:05 AM
    Huawei uses somewhat the same procedure. Large aperture has to be "faked" on mobile cameras.

Some implementations use multiple sensors, some (like Pixel) use astounding AI, and many use combinations of both.

Putting aside your ridiculous hyperbole, the new Apple camera is still rated second on planet Earth.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fc601c57e8.jpg
    I'm not questioning iPhones camera in general, it would be a dream to have this camera performance on KEY*.

Only downside is a "Portrait" mode, it's a joke which should be forgotten and all energy should be focused on "Aperture" mode IMHO
    11-25-18 10:36 AM
    I'm not questioning iPhones camera in general, it would be a dream to have this camera performance on KEY*.

Only downside is a "Portrait" mode, it's a joke which should be forgotten and all energy should be focused on "Aperture" mode IMHO
    The tiny little sensors and lenses on a mobile camera can never match a real large aperture camera. As I said earlier, one way or another, it has to be faked. And each has its own means of doing that.
    11-25-18 10:41 AM

Ok I see what your getting at... But you seem to forget something very important... ITS A SMARTPHONE! It’s NOT a DSLR camera.

It’s like saying: I hate driving a car with a turbo, I would prefer the real thing. A turbo just “fake” power to the engine by engineering power using a computer. But guess what? A turbo goes just as fast, just as powerful and takes a lot less room.

Same applies to portrait mode on the iPhone. Why would it be fake? It’s real... the background is blurred. How can a blurred background be fake? It’s blurred. I don’t care if you spite on a piece of paper to blur the ink or use AI. It’s an artistic effet.

But the advantage is that I can just carry a iPhone around and create beautiful pictures. Doesn’t matter what tool was used to create them.

Apple understood that people had a need and they offered a solution. That’s what you don’t understand.
    11-25-18 06:55 PM

Apple understood that people had a need and they offered a solution. That’s what you don’t understand.
    Right, but Apple killed the PKB since the first gen and that had and still has a negative effect on written communication and anything that has to do with typing on one's mobile device.

Edit: I realize that this is kind of off-topic lol
    11-26-18 04:09 AM
    Right, but Apple killed the PKB since the first gen and that had and still has a negative effect on written communication and anything that has to do with typing on one's mobile device.

Edit: I realize that this is kind of off-topic lol
    Haha by now I know you love the PKB!
    the_boon likes this.
    11-26-18 10:35 AM