A few weeks ago I pulled my SIM from my iPhone 8 and went to a VZW Classic. I've been impressed by how remarkably productive the device is and how little I miss 90% of iOS. The LTE connectivity has been largely stable as well. However, I find myself missing the ability to control Google Home and load my stored value accounts (e.g. SBUX). Also would like to make contactless payments once more.

Pretty excited about the news of the Onward Mobility licensing deal. However even optimistic estimates put that device release at mid-2021. Those of you with a Key2LE: would you advise picking a K2LE up in the interim or would a secondary market device at this point be a disappointment? Also, does VZW support another model K2 or only LE?

Posted via CB10
    Rico4you likes this.
    09-02-20 05:46 PM
    A few weeks ago I pulled my SIM from my iPhone 8 and went to a VZW Classic. I've been impressed by how remarkably productive the device is and how little I miss 90% of iOS. The LTE connectivity has been largely stable as well. However, I find myself missing the ability to control Google Home and load my stored value accounts (e.g. SBUX). Also would like to make contactless payments once more.

Pretty excited about the news of the Onward Mobility licensing deal. However even optimistic estimates put that device release at mid-2021. Those of you with a Key2LE: would you advise picking a K2LE up in the interim or would a secondary market device at this point be a disappointment? Also, does VZW support another model K2 or only LE?

Posted via CB10
    The KEY² BBF100-2 will work with Verizon, but the Verizon rep may need a bit of prodding.

The KEY² and KEY² LE are finished with security patches, so it's hard to recommend investing now in either.

As far as the OnwardMobility device for next year is concerned, we can't be certain whether it will be consumer-friendly or not. We need to know more.
    09-02-20 06:43 PM
    If you're okay running an LE that won't be receiving anymore updates, then I highly recommend you pick one up to use in the meantime until the BB5G is released.

Great reliable lightweight communicator.

The best part is that it will probably retain most of its resale value, unlike most standard all-touch phones.
    09-02-20 07:18 PM
    My biggest reservation about the K2LE is size and weight. I can deal with the slightly out of date security footprint. I had a KeyOne and it was entirely too heavy to be practical as a daily driver. Hoping the K2 addressed this.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-20 07:31 PM
    My biggest reservation about the K2LE is size and weight. I can deal with the slightly out of date security footprint. I had a KeyOne and it was entirely too heavy to be practical as a daily driver. Hoping the K2 addressed this.

Posted via CB10
    The LE addressed the weight issue even more than the KEY2.

The LE is 24g lighter than the KEYone, and better balanced.

That plus the larger, matte keys makes for a much less tiring typing experience.
    09-02-20 07:47 PM
    If you don't want hassles, go to current device that gets updates. I have a Verizon K1 that did not even get all its updates (patches and OS upgrade). It is only 3 years old and I can't even use the CB app and need to go to a previous version. I feel like I am back on BB10.
    09-02-20 08:09 PM
    I feel like I am back on BB10.
    Except the CB Forum app on BB10 works way better than the android app, lol.
    anon(5597702) and CalSandi like this.
    09-02-20 08:13 PM
    Except the CB Forum app on BB10 works way better than the android app, lol.
    Exactly! Ridiculous.
    09-02-20 08:17 PM
    I used a Classic for MANY years until finally switching to the Key2 LE on VZW last year. The Classic is a fantastic productivity machine but the Key2 LE is pretty good as well. Here's what I would tell you to likely expect if you switch the Key 2 LE:

- Keyboard is surprising good once you get used to it (although I know the Classic keyboard is fantastic).
    - I hardly ran apps in general and used my phone for calls, e-mail, text, and some browsing. Key2 LE does all of that really well with the hub and the Chrome browser. It's MUCH more stable than any BB10 device I have used (in that the main apps just don't crash/freeze and if you have to reset it Chrome will remember all of your tabs, etc). So, to a degree, you can count on not having to reset it for weeks/months, which is nice.
    - Battery life is pretty good as long as you don't plan on watching YouTube videos, which sucks battery out of the Key2 LE. Otherwise the phone is quite efficient in terms of battery life and so is the hub.
    - In summary you will feel as though you have taken a pretty big leap forward with Android vs BB10 overall, as good as BB10 is for productivity. I eventually made the switch because of some apps no longer being supported on BB10 + I was getting tired of Uber browser crashing and Waze crashing on BB10 (which clearly doesn't happen on Android).

If you're ok with everything above then I would definitely make the leap. To be clear, I am on about 5-6 hours of calls per day on my Key2 LE + another 2-3 hours of browser + e-mails/texts EVERY day and it's very reliable/solid...

One more thing to consider: The next gen 5G phone might be a challenge for 2 reasons (just my thoughts here): Battery life for 5G might not be great and the price will probably be very high. I personally think they made a mistake focusing on a 5G launch because of how little use 5G is to most people right now where we will be forced to pay a premium for 5G that most of us won't need. So I am hoping they somewhat quickly launch a 2nd device (4G) with better battery life and a lower price - we will see.
    09-10-20 11:23 PM
    I used a Classic for MANY years until finally switching to the Key2 LE on VZW last year. The Classic is a fantastic productivity machine but the Key2 LE is pretty good as well. Here's what I would tell you to likely expect if you switch the Key 2 LE:

- Keyboard is surprising good once you get used to it (although I know the Classic keyboard is fantastic).
    - I hardly ran apps in general and used my phone for calls, e-mail, text, and some browsing. Key2 LE does all of that really well with the hub and the Chrome browser. It's MUCH more stable than any BB10 device I have used (in that the main apps just don't crash/freeze and if you have to reset it Chrome will remember all of your tabs, etc). So, to a degree, you can count on not having to reset it for weeks/months, which is nice.
    - Battery life is pretty good as long as you don't plan on watching YouTube videos, which sucks battery out of the Key2 LE. Otherwise the phone is quite efficient in terms of battery life and so is the hub.
    - In summary you will feel as though you have taken a pretty big leap forward with Android vs BB10 overall, as good as BB10 is for productivity. I eventually made the switch because of some apps no longer being supported on BB10 + I was getting tired of Uber browser crashing and Waze crashing on BB10 (which clearly doesn't happen on Android).

If you're ok with everything above then I would definitely make the leap. To be clear, I am on about 5-6 hours of calls per day on my Key2 LE + another 2-3 hours of browser + e-mails/texts EVERY day and it's very reliable/solid...

One more thing to consider: The next gen 5G phone might be a challenge for 2 reasons (just my thoughts here): Battery life for 5G might not be great and the price will probably be very high. I personally think they made a mistake focusing on a 5G launch because of how little use 5G is to most people right now where we will be forced to pay a premium for 5G that most of us won't need. So I am hoping they somewhat quickly launch a 2nd device (4G) with better battery life and a lower price - we will see.
    5G is the buzz word for the whole industry this year, by next year it will be expected on all new phones. And with the new 700 series that we are just now seeing, and by first of next year the even cheaper 600 series 5G chips... price won't be an issue just because of the chipset.

Price will be high.... because of low volume production, BlackBerry licensing, and need for a small company to make a profit on a few number of devices.

I don't know how many millions it will take for them to create this company, nor how many units they hope to sell. But the math makes this a very tricky prospect.
    09-11-20 02:19 PM

Be thankful for a single version ever making production and then being affordable.
    09-11-20 02:44 PM
    Be thankful for a single version ever making production and then being affordable.
    Chuck, you're missing my point above. I am EXTREMELY thankful that a single version is being made. I am absolutely GOING to buy it - I can afford it more so than most people in the US. But I am VERY concerned that the pricing (because 5G is included) will limit adoption and will therefore put this new initiative in jeopardy of making it (financially) for the longer-term due to not achieving the volume of sales that they might need...
    09-11-20 05:06 PM
    5G is the buzz word for the whole industry this year, by next year it will be expected on all new phones. And with the new 700 series that we are just now seeing, and by first of next year the even cheaper 600 series 5G chips... price won't be an issue just because of the chipset.

Price will be high.... because of low volume production, BlackBerry licensing, and need for a small company to make a profit on a few number of devices.

I don't know how many millions it will take for them to create this company, nor how many units they hope to sell. But the math makes this a very tricky prospect.
    Thanks for the 5G pricing info - I appreciate it. I am assuming that 5G = higher price and, like you, I am very concerned about the math to make this viable. And I do think that by making it 5G it might make it more difficult to achieve the needed sales volumes because the price will be higher than a 4G device. We will see... Ironically, I can afford whatever price they put on it so for me it's thankfully not an issue (and frankly I would prefer higher specs if I had a choice) but it won't do me much good as a BB fan if I get a higher spec phone that I can buy next year in exchange for there not being enough volume to justify future models. I would gladly take a lower spec phone knowing that the math will add up for this new venture, as I certainly want them to succeed.

No doubt the business model is VERY questionable. Frankly it's hard to envision how they will succeed when BB Mobile failed. If the Key2 series had higher specs (ie. better camera, etc) then the price would have been higher and with the niche volume that would have priced out a lot of people reduced the already too low volume that was achieved. The only I can think might be different next time is perhaps either a lot of marketing spend to boost sales or if they truly offer unique features/benefits (beyond the pkb) via innovation in terms of productivity, etc, that it's just so compelling that it will make people switch back to BB. For all of us that is clearly the case or we wouldn't be buying them but they need decent volume to make this work.

The best I can describe what I think is going to happen (and clearly I don't want this to be the case) is the doomed retail location that has been a restaurant for the last 10 years and each year one restaurant closed and the next one opened thinking they could do a better job. But ultimately the location keeps taking each new owner down. While I hope this isn't the case, I think BB is trapped between the public who doesn't have major demand for pkb anymore, low volume, and price. Hard to see how they will overcome that but I really hope they do, as I still want my pkb!!
    09-11-20 05:13 PM
    Don't get the Key2 LE on VZW. My experience was it just kept slowing down. Without up date it just forced my hand to use another phone besides BlackBerry since 2003.

If there is a way to use the Key2 with the better specs then I can't tell you one way or another but I do not recommend the KEY2 LE.

I will hopefully get the BlackBerry 2021 if it is compatible with VZW.

Cheers
    09-11-20 05:54 PM
    Chuck, you're missing my point above. I am EXTREMELY thankful that a single version is being made. I am absolutely GOING to buy it - I can afford it more so than most people in the US. But I am VERY concerned that the pricing (because 5G is included) will limit adoption and will therefore put this new initiative in jeopardy of making it (financially) for the longer-term due to not achieving the volume of sales that they might need...
    I don’t think 5G will hurt adoption because the driver with phones in the USA is carriers. If carriers off the phones, then price is spread out in payments. Consumers will opt for things like 5G as they’re already doing. The biggest obstacle that OM faces to success is carriers.

That’s why I hope that Sonim is somehow involved as they have the carrier presence that BlackBerry Limited had in 2013-2015 even as BB10 failed.
    09-11-20 06:30 PM
    I also use VZW and went to an LE from a Classic. The LE is so much lighter than the Classic, that it's almost *too* light for me- I prefer a little heft. Other than that, it's a great device. It's my first Android so I did what I could to make it feel as BB10ish as possible. I still use email, BBM, and the CB10 Forums app on my Classic. But I also use the BlackBerry Hub app on the LE with a different email address (actually a couple of different email addresses now since I'm working from home), and Telegram. And Firefox - finally my browser of choice on my phone! I can also finally use EverNote and the NYTimes app again, both of which discontinued support for BB10 several years ago. I disabled all the Google stuff, location, etc, and I don't use FB or banking apps on my phone, so it runs pretty smoothly and I haven't seen any slowdowns after about 9 months of ownership.

Do I miss BB10 as a daily driver? You betcha. Every day. But I knew I needed to become familiar with Android while I could still get a pkb and BlackBerry Hub software installed, so here I am. It's a perfectly good Android device to carry you from BB10 to whatever BlackBerry licensed device eventually is released in 2021. I may never love any Android device as much as I love my Q10 and Classic, but so far the LE has served me well, and I'll hang onto it while watching the skies for the next BlackBerry licensed device.

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    09-12-20 01:51 AM
    LE enjoys a much improved typing experience over K1. Slightly better than K2, in my hand. More important than weight is weight placement. I won't dive into the engineering of it all but will relate that, establishing my hand's Classic WPM as arbitrarily "standardized" 100%, LE manages about 75% of Classic's wpm. K1 only managed 40% of Classic. In MY hand. If that's useful info for you?

To better clarify those comparisons I must point out that these are all single thumb performances. Done with thumb nail. Typically left thumb. Left thumb affording shortest reach to "alt" and to numeric keys. Which I use a LOT. The fastest, most precise technique my hand has "discovered" to date. My thumb nail slipped from the slick rounded keys on K1. Slowing MY K1 typing significantly. YOUR mileage may vary. Lol.

The other issue is loss of Classic's trackpad. Classic is already too tall for my single handed tastes. But its trackpad mitigates that handicap nicely. K series is ridiculously tall frequently demanding far stretches for even long thumbs like mine. More a fault of Android UX "stupidity" than hardware but I digress.

Also, if you edit what you type, you'll likely miss the trackpad even more. Some have reported that they can edit "just fine" on slab. Try as I might, slab selection/editing simply proves inferior to track selection/editing in MY hand. Again, your mileage may vary.

What IS nice about LE are apps. I'm working "field service" from a motorhome office/calibration/repair "covid safe mobile motel and restaurant" parked just outside various plant facilities. Lol.

I really like Domino's pizza app! (Others too) A few thumb taps and a "virus free" pizza goes from 450dF pizza oven to box and contactless delivery in "no time". lol. I still disinfect box with cheap 151 rum in spray bottle. Old codgers like me can't be too careful. The 151 that makes it onto the food actually adds character to the flavors & textures. Lol.

LE has been a reliable platform for banking, bill paying, etc, also. I'll be looking to other solutions now that patches are history.

The other thing to consider about my suggestions is that I've dual carried for about 5 years. Sometimes triple carried. That's afforded quite a lot of side by side hand time for comparisons. BUT it also means I'm likely more tolerant of device handicaps since I can just grab a more capable device if one proves frustrating for a given mission.

Which is why this post is being typed on 9900 in left hand while device called a "fork" feeds face breakfast... Lol. Just to further fill in relevancy. If any.
    09-13-20 10:17 AM
    That has to be one of the funniest and more brilliant ideas I've read in a long time! (Finally, a legit use for the cheap vodka taking up space, that I could never stand to drink or serve to others.) Thanks for that - you just made my day! In fact, my month, even my year!

.... I still disinfect box with cheap 151 rum in spray bottle. Old codgers like me can't be too careful. The 151 that makes it onto the food actually adds character to the flavors & textures. Lol.

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    09-14-20 07:49 AM
    That has to be one of the funniest and more brilliant ideas I've read in a long time! (Finally, a legit use for the cheap vodka taking up space, that I could never stand to drink or serve to others.) Thanks for that - you just made my day! In fact, my month, even my year!
    I've got several bottles of alcohol from different distilleries that had transitioned for COVID Relief for a brief time. Just have to keep them separate, bottle of Bacardi White Rum and bottle of Bacardi Alcohol Antiseptic looks much the same.....
    09-14-20 08:26 AM
    I've got several bottles of alcohol from different distilleries that had transitioned for COVID Relief for a brief time. Just have to keep them separate, bottle of Bacardi White Rum and bottle of Bacardi Alcohol Antiseptic looks much the same.....
    Taste the same? lol. Last I heard SOMEwhere, ethanol concentrations of about 75% were optimally effective at disrupting corona's lipid envelope...?? afaik?? if so, 151 should be ideal? Higher concentrations evaporate too quickly, I hear. Consumable 151 seems ideal disinfectant for some food items... lol

Will concede slabs are easier to disinfect than PKB. UV lamps have started fading keys on this LE. lol

more on topic,
    09-14-20 11:43 AM
    Right, and to be effective, you want something that will stay wet for 1 to 4 minutes on the surface you're cleaning, before it evaporates or you wipe it off - or it permeates the pizza crust. Save the evaporative stuff for your pkb.
    Taste the same? lol. Last I heard SOMEwhere, ethanol concentrations of about 75% were optimally effective at disrupting corona's lipid envelope...?? afaik?? if so, 151 should be ideal? Higher concentrations evaporate too quickly, I hear. Consumable 151 seems ideal disinfectant for some food items... lol

Will concede slabs are easier to disinfect than PKB. UV lamps have started fading keys on this LE. lol

more on topic,
    09-14-20 11:26 PM
    Right, and to be effective, you want something that will stay wet for 1 to 4 minutes on the surface you're cleaning, before it evaporates or you wipe it off - or it permeates the pizza crust. Save the evaporative stuff for your pkb.
    Haha... I wrecked a trackpad on this 99 with alcohol months ago. Easy & cheap repair on 99. Glad I learned the lesson before spraying my Classic or Ks. NOT so easy & cheap to swap KBs on those. I alcohol my slabs routinely but use wipes and some UV cases I fabbed up for my PKB stuff. Poor LE keys are fading from the UV exposure. Lol. Just overkilling lumen & time in attempt to compensate shadowing by the keys. Not perfect but exercising some consciousness about exposing the devices themselves helps some. Lol.

I'm pretty confident a pizza comes out of a 450dF oven pretty virus free. No clue who's breathing on the box, tho. Spraying the box with a "consumable" antiseptic is the mission. Just in case the "antiseptic" gets accidentally consumed. Lol. I've really grown to like cheap 151 Vodka on the pizza, tho. Does nice things to texture & flavor. Cheap 151 Rum is second best. I also wash down apples or cherries or? With the rum. Nvrkno who coughed on them in the market. Lol. Nice flavor adder to the fruits. Lol.

The whole reason I mentioned any of this is because of the app capabilities of LE. Wife and I have evolved our favorite pizza config that dominos app recalls with a tap. Pizza Hut app is pretty convenient also but, unfortunately, demands re-entering the config for each new address. Addresses which can change daily as motorhome is migrated to various jobsites. Most apps like pizza, instacart, etc conveniently use LE's GPS to find. I never ran Android on my Classic so no clue if Classic is capable of any of that but this good old 99 certainly is NOT. Lol.

99 IS good for typing. I consider Classic about 85% of 9900 for that. Which puts LE about 65% of 99 for that. Once again, right tool for the right job.

Worse thing about such exquisite typing experience is that thumb grows to really enjoy conversing! Addictively so! Thumb seeks excuses to type! Hence the protracted posts. Lol. My posts are MUCH shorter when typing on slab. Lol.

Edit: wife feels I should post a warning about spraying alcohol... The stuff CAN be flammable! Words of warning... Lol.
    09-15-20 12:25 AM
    If you don't want hassles, go to current device that gets updates. I have a Verizon K1 that did not even get all its updates (patches and OS upgrade). It is only 3 years old and I can't even use the CB app and need to go to a previous version. I feel like I am back on BB10.
    I am on my keyone (sprint) and have no issues using the cb app.
    09-16-20 03:43 AM
    I am on my keyone (sprint) and have no issues using the cb app.
    You probably aren't stuck on Nougat. It is a known issue.
    09-16-20 07:10 AM
    LE enjoys a much improved typing experience over K1. Slightly better than K2, in my hand. More important than weight is weight placement. I won't dive into the engineering of it all but will relate that, establishing my hand's Classic WPM as arbitrarily "standardized" 100%, LE manages about 75% of Classic's wpm. K1 only managed 40% of Classic. In MY hand. If that's useful info for you?

I really like Domino's pizza app! (Others too) A few thumb taps and a "virus free" pizza goes from 450dF pizza oven to box and contactless delivery in "no time". lol. I still disinfect box with cheap 151 rum in spray bottle. Old codgers like me can't be too careful. The 151 that makes it onto the food actually adds character to the flavors & textures. Lol.

LE has been a reliable platform for banking, bill paying, etc, also. I'll be looking to other solutions now that patches are history.
    +1 on K2LE vs K1

Key differentiator for Classic above those 2: trackpad, tool belt and OS10

Banking I never do on mobile anyway so will sit out with K2LE till OMBB arrives.
    09-23-20 01:32 PM
31 12