Does any one else have issues with cold weather.

My phone shuts down if out side temp below -5c. Any one else have issues

I miss 9900... worked at -25 no problem
    02-06-19 10:36 AM
    My phone has an imbedded fingerprint sensor, that fails more often in cold weather. The operation of my phone though is fine.
    02-06-19 02:55 PM
    No cold weather problems here in Florida with any devices...
    sorgo and Summer_Moon like this.
    02-06-19 03:11 PM
    Common for cold weather to cause some phones to shut down. My Priv did it and so does my DTEK50. I'm guessing it has something to do with the battery getting cold.
    victoriak68 likes this.
    02-06-19 05:40 PM
    Maybe that's why the Priv didn't do so well here ? I mean who needs a handwarmer here lol
    02-06-19 06:07 PM
    Sad to hear. I was hoping that wouldn't be an issue with K2Le. My dtek50 was terrible in cold weather
    02-06-19 07:25 PM
    strange, normally, there is a requirement for phone operated in -10C... someone must skip the test or changed requirement... slow response of display (OLED or LCD) are expected at -10, but not non-functional and shut down. Something not right at high level (design). (at -20 C, I can see might be a problem, but -5 should not have any issues... put phone in your pocket, usualy good to go for start, once it started, battery should keep enough warm to get everything else going IMHO).
    02-06-19 08:21 PM
    was outdoors and kept my phone in my coat pocket. 30 minutes later I check my phone and the battery had drained from 60% to 10... not sure if this was a one time thing. but it didn't happen with my old Moto G4
    02-06-19 09:01 PM
    lol
    02-06-19 09:51 PM
    have too just keep it warm I suppose os got slow and shut down after 20 mintues exposure in a coat.... it would be nice if BB kept in house designing phones
    02-06-19 10:37 PM
    Stay inside?
    02-07-19 10:02 PM
    Common for cold weather to cause some phones to shut down. My Priv did it and so does my DTEK50. I'm guessing it has something to do with the battery getting cold.
    Yeah various friends (assorted devices from different manufacturers) get a range of issues when we go skiing or similar outdoor activities in the -5 to -25 degC range. Anything from odd screen colour effects to shut down/reboots. I just keep my BB anywhere but in an outside pocket. I sometimes put it in a daypack and the screen colour has gone funny for short periods but ok when it warmed up (Priv).
    02-08-19 06:54 AM
    It's common for phones to shut down when cold. I've had several devices do this. Usually starts at 10F and below. I left my Passport in my pickup all night once. Had to put it on charge for an hour before it would come back to life.
    02-08-19 09:52 AM
    Problem is that the internal resistance of a battery in general increases when performing in cold weather. That makes that the ions have more trouble travelling from one pole to the other (which generates the power that makes the phone work...). When the phone is reading the power in the battery, it will notice that the power is low. And therefore shut itself down.
    When the phone is warm enough again you probably will notice that there is still much more Power left than when it shut down.
    And that's quite logical, because the ions haven't gone anywhere, and are still at the +pole ready for the travel to the -pole and generate the power your phone so badly needs.

This is a natural fact, and doesn't harm the battery. At least, so I was told...
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-08-19 10:49 AM
    Problem is that the internal resistance of a battery in general increases when performing in cold weather. That makes that the ions have more trouble travelling from one pole to the other (which generates the power that makes the phone work...). When the phone is reading the power in the battery, it will notice that the power is low. And therefore shut itself down.
    When the phone is warm enough again you probably will notice that there is still much more Power left than when it shut down.
    And that's quite logical, because the ions haven't gone anywhere, and are still at the +pole ready for the travel to the -pole and generate the power your phone so badly needs.

This is a natural fact, and doesn't harm the battery. At least, so I was told...
    Thanks. Was waiting for the scientific answer. Just the nature of lith-ion batteries
    tubularbell likes this.
    02-09-19 02:05 PM