I'm in a predicament.

I need to switch from AT&T to Verizon and sadly the Key2 isn't compatible with VZ. So I'm looking at the LE and for the first time since 2014 I'm looking at iPhone and Pixel3 as my other options.

I don't want to stray from BlackBerry but BBMobile is narrowing my choices.

The LE would be a no-brainer buy for any Berry enthusiast. But there's one huge drawback: the non-capacitive keyboard.

I've been amazed at BlackBerry keyboards ever since the Passports introduction to this technology. It's so fricken cool and it's a huge reason why I love BlackBerry physical keyboards.

So with BBMobile shedding this great technology to cut costs, the LE is a tough sale for me at least. Thankfully they kept the spacebar fingerprint scanner and the speed key.. but still, I'm hesitant..

So what I've done is turn off the capacitive feature on my KeyOne and testing how it is.. and so far I'm indifferent. I don't see the point of having a physical keyboard without this feature.. idk.

My favorite feature is erasing words swiping left, that's a huge habit of mine and erasing words with the back space reminds me of 2014 Classic days.. it's like going back in time.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-02-18 06:42 PM
    Question: does the Key2 LE have the option to use the blackberry virtual keyboard like the KeyOne offers?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-18 07:08 PM
    Question: does the Key2 LE have the option to use the blackberry virtual keyboard like the KeyOne offers?

Posted via CB10
    Yes.
    11-02-18 07:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Which will leave you with the tiniest sliver of a display.
    11-02-18 08:10 PM
    How is the iPhone better? I know billions of people love it, but if it's the PKB you're after. . . .
    11-02-18 08:15 PM
    Sadly this is true. I'm trying to convince my brain that having the virtual keyboard displayed as I type on the physical will help (example: left swipe to erase words, swipe up for words etc) but this is just silly.

I just wish the original Key2 was Verizon compatible!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-18 11:27 PM
    How is the iPhone better? I know billions of people love it, but if it's the PKB you're after. . . .
    I wouldn't say iPhone is better, but since I can't use an original Key2 on Verizon I have no choice but to jump ship.. the LE looks great but the keyboard featurelessness is killing my decision to buy it.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-18 11:29 PM
    I am on the similar decision, i do not need capacitive keyboard as I have none on Classic, but many many things on KEY series is downgrade for me. If it wasn't the PKB, i would definitely not buying bbdroid :/.

Posted with Classic
    11-03-18 02:21 AM
    Get both. I have an iPhone, which I enjoy immensely, and I rarely do without a pkb bb at the same time because I just can’t live without a physical keyboard (only reason I would go anywhere near an android phone to be honest). I actually ended up disabling the capacitive function on my KEY2 because it happens to be too sensitive and that drove me nuts at times. I’ll probably get the LE within the next few weeks but will miss the swipe left to erase too. Still a great keyboard but I understand perfectly your dilemma. I remember when they added the capacitive function to the Passport too, I was amazed.
    Last edited by Laramie50; 11-03-18 at 03:43 AM.
    11-03-18 02:34 AM
    I have the exact same way of thinking. But why don't you just get rid of the mobile provider contract with phone. and get sim only contract? That way you can buy all the phones you want including KEY2!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-03-18 03:29 AM
    I have the exact same way of thinking. But why don't you just get rid of the mobile provider contract with phone. and get sim only contract? That way you can buy all the phones you want including KEY2!
    Can you elaborate? What is a Sim only contract? And if one were to have a Sim only contract one could use a Key2 on Verizon?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-18 05:19 AM
    Can you elaborate? What is a Sim only contract? And if one were to have a Sim only contract one could use a Key2 on Verizon?

Posted via CB10
    In my country a 'Sim only' contract is getting more popular. So you have a contract at a provider, but you are not obliged to get a phone with your contract. So you only pay for the services of the provider and not the phone. Much cheaper. I only pay 20 euro per month for unlimited calling, SMS and 10 GB of 4G. If I want a new phone, I buy one separate and add it to my contract.

An example: my provider (TMobile) doesn't carry any BlackBerry phones. So I got a SIM only contract, and 'added' the phone to my contract after I bought it from Belsimpel (so in theory on a loan). So now I pay: 20 euros for the services of the provider, and 15 euro for the phone to pay it off
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-03-18 05:50 AM
    I'm in a predicament.

I need to switch from AT&T to Verizon and sadly the Key2 isn't compatible with VZ. So I'm looking at the LE and for the first time since 2014 I'm looking at iPhone and Pixel3 as my other options.

The LE would be a no-brainer buy for any Berry enthusiast. But there's one huge drawback: the non-capacitive keyboard.

I've been amazed at BlackBerry keyboards ever since the Passports introduction to this technology. It's so fricken cool and it's a huge reason why I love BlackBerry physical keyboards.

So with BBMobile shedding this great technology to cut costs, the LE is a tough sale for me at least. Thankfully they kept the spacebar fingerprint scanner and the speed key.. but still, I'm hesitant..

So what I've done is turn off the capacitive feature on my KeyOne and testing how it is.. and so far I'm indifferent. I don't see the point of having a physical keyboard without this feature.. idk.

My favorite feature is erasing words swiping left, that's a huge habit of mine and erasing words with the back space reminds me of 2014 Classic days.. it's like going back in time.

Posted via CB10
    How’s BBMo narrowing your choices? It can’t help that carriers nowadays have raised the barriers to entry. You’re also choosing to go to most restrictive of the Big 3/4 carriers in the USA for device offerings.

That being said, I’m stuck on my AT&T branded KEYone for BBMo purposes for now. For my second line, I did get the XR since it was BOGO time which now seems to be all time.
    11-03-18 06:20 AM
    I have the Key2 LE - I was hesitant at first for the same reason, but after using it for a week, I don't miss the capacitive feature. This phone just works - the fingerprint sensor is more reliable than my Key 2's (I have silver and black versions) and the keyboard feels better overall to me - also no weird clickiness with the spacebar. It's lighter than the Key2, but feels solid and IMHO has a high quality build. (Also had BB Passport SE, Classic, Motion and KeyONE.)
    anon(10538261) likes this.
    11-03-18 08:50 AM
    I'm on a Passport, I use the capacitive keyboard for erasing words by swiping left. It's the only time I swipe on the keyboard. On the LE isn't there a keyboard sequence to delete words to the left? Like <#-delete> or something similar to the <control-backspace> on a desktop keyboard?
    11-03-18 09:35 AM
    I have the Key2 LE - I was hesitant at first for the same reason, but after using it for a week, I don't miss the capacitive feature. This phone just works - the fingerprint sensor is more reliable than my Key 2's (I have silver and black versions) and the keyboard feels better overall to me - also no weird clickiness with the spacebar. It's lighter than the Key2, but feels solid and IMHO has a high quality build. (Also had BB Passport SE, Classic, Motion and KeyONE.)
    wryberry -- is there anything that you miss from the KEY2? Do you miss the larger keys, for example?
    11-03-18 09:38 AM
    How’s BBMo narrowing your choices? It can’t help that carriers nowadays have raised the barriers to entry. You’re also choosing to go to most restrictive of the Big 3/4 carriers in the USA for device offerings.

That being said, I’m stuck on my AT&T branded KEYone for BBMo purposes for now. For my second line, I did get the XR since it was BOGO time which now seems to be all time.
    They would not sell hardly any new devices here in US if it were not for BOGO. T-Mobile is offering the XR to users for basically nothing on the Unlimited One plan we are on. 40\mo including all services, data, etc with trade in. We traded in our paid for S7's for S9's in March for 360. It made the devices 1\2 off or BOGO. How is the non HD 720 screen on the XR?
    11-03-18 10:32 AM
    Verizon is phasing out their CDMA network. Soon factory unlocks should be no problem hopefully.
    11-03-18 11:12 AM
    They would not sell hardly any new devices here in US if it were not for BOGO. T-Mobile is offering the XR to users for basically nothing on the Unlimited One plan we are on. 40\mo including all services, data, etc with trade in. We traded in our paid for S7's for S9's in March for 360. It made the devices 1\2 off or BOGO. How is the non HD 720 screen on the XR?
    Seems ok to me. I’m not a connoisseur of the finest things when it comes to electronics. I’m really value oriented aka cheap as ************ but it allows me a device to use WFC and VoLTE. I was considering the LG V40 ThinQ for the BOGO and lost to my daughter that wanted new iPhone to replace her hand me down 6. She won the battle and I win the war ;-) since I have useable currency for the rest of middle school. It would have been this way in a year so, it’s extra valuable in middle of seventh grade.. LOL

The better evaluation is that my 9th grader is seething over her sister’s new device. The older kid has 256gb 8 and was happy until now.... LOL.... XR must be improved over 8....
    11-03-18 02:01 PM
    Why not just stick with the K1 and see what they come up with next year?

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-03-18 02:11 PM
    I'm in a predicament.

Posted via CB10
    I have the KEY2 and the LE, both are fine devices.

On the LE, there is a function that can make up for the swipe left to delete:

Ctrl key + backspace

Basically, just set the currency key to act as the Ctrl key, and then while typing, you hit those two keys at the same time to delete a whole word.

The only thing that's annoying is that those keys ar every close to each other so it'll be a bit awkward at first, but once you're used to it, it can be really fast at deleting words.

I'll go even further, if you need to delete a whole sentence or paragraph, this method will be even faster than swiping back endlessly on the keyboard as you'll just be holding down the $ key with your left thumb and backspace with your right as many times as needed.

I would really not let this dissuade you from buying an LE.
    The build, weight, feel in hand are awesome

And lastly, BBMo didn't include this feature not to save costs, but rather to differentiate it from the KEY2, or else there would be little point in shelling out the extra 200 for the latter.
    11-03-18 02:32 PM
    Bold 9900 size display lol
    11-03-18 02:54 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

How does the Key2 LE keyboard compare to the KeyOne in terms of tactile clicky-feel and userability?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-18 03:18 PM
    I have the KEY2 and the LE, both are fine devices.

On the LE, there is a function that can make up for the swipe left to delete:

Ctrl key + backspace

Basically, just set the currency key to act as the Ctrl key, and then while typing, you hit those two keys at the same time to delete a whole word.

The only thing that's annoying is that those keys ar every close to each other so it'll be a bit awkward at first, but once you're used to it, it can be really fast at deleting words.

I'll go even further, if you need to delete a whole sentence or paragraph, this method will be even faster than swiping back endlessly on the keyboard as you'll just be holding down the $ key with your left thumb and backspace with your right as many times as needed.

I would really not let this dissuade you from buying an LE.
    The build, weight, feel in hand are awesome

And lastly, BBMo didn't include this feature not to save costs, but rather to differentiate it from the KEY2, or else there would be little point in shelling out the extra 200 for the latter.
    Thanks for the reply!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-18 03:19 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

How does the Key2 LE keyboard compare to the KeyOne in terms of tactile clicky-feel and userability?

Posted via CB10
    KEYone has slightly more satisfying click, but the LE more than makes up for it with lighter weight and better balance and feel in the hand.

Overall, I'd say the LE wins in terms of typing comfort. The extra 24g weight in the KEYone makes it a bit more tiring during long typing sessions. With the LE you don't ever wanna put it down lol
    11-03-18 03:40 PM
46 12