My fingerprint sensor does not work anymore for my Blackberry key2 LE. I’ve tried resetting it to factory setting it still does not work. How can I “activate” my fingerprint sensor back??

PS the spacebar function stills works as it should be just the fingerprint sensor.
    10-29-19 09:04 AM
    How can I “activate” my fingerprint sensor back?
    If you've already tried a factory reset then your next move should be to contact BlackBerry Mobile and inquire about a hardware exchange or warranty service. - https://blackberrymobile.com/hotline...ervice-center/
    10-29-19 10:43 AM
    I discovered with my Key2 that for some time on initially creating a fingerprint profile/image it's in learning mode and continues adding to that image, during which time it fails to wake up the phone on many of the touches. Eventually, it's done with that learning mode and uses what it's learned and responds almost flawlessly from then on. It might take days or hundreds of touches initially. I was ready to return or replace mine or send it in for repair when suddenly it began working reliably, and I called BlackBerry tech support and they explained the "learning" mode. It's been perfectly fine since!
    the_boon likes this.
    11-06-19 04:10 AM
    I just confirmed with BlackBerry tech support with an on-device diagnostic that I definitely have a defective unit.

The tech walked me through the following diagnostic test, which he said is very conclusive and which failed about 21 times out of about 24 attempts when it’s supposed to pass 24 times out of 24.

_______

On phone dialer, enter this code: *#2886#

That brings up the “MMI TEST” screen.

BlackBerry KEY2 LE fingerprint sensor not working.-fingerprint-sensor-test_screen1.jpg

Hit MANU.

That brings up the menu.

BlackBerry KEY2 LE fingerprint sensor not working.-fingerprint-sensor-test_screen2.jpg

Hit “FingerPrintEnroll.”

That brings up a screen with a white box and it says to touch the sensor.

BlackBerry KEY2 LE fingerprint sensor not working.-fingerprint-sensor-test_screen3.jpg

Every single time a finger is placed on the sensor, an image should be taken. EVERY SINGLE TIME!

But in my case, it failed about 90% of the time! (In the screenshot below, it shows a successful image; but this is just to show you what it’s supposed to do – I blurred/distorted the image for security so my fingerprint isn’t online).

BlackBerry KEY2 LE fingerprint sensor not working.-fingerprint-sensor-test_screen4_securitymodified.jpg

About 21 times out of about 24 attempts the white box remained solid white, which means the sensor is definitely defective.
    asiayeah likes this.
    11-06-19 03:15 PM
    I just confirmed with BlackBerry tech support with an on-device diagnostic that I definitely have a defective unit.

The tech walked me through the following diagnostic test, which he said is very conclusive and which failed about 21 times out of about 24 attempts when it’s supposed to pass 24 times out of 24.

_______

On phone dialer, enter this code: *#2886#

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fingerprint-sensor-test_screen1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	446647

Hit MANU.

That brings up the menu.

Name:	Fingerprint-sensor-test_screen2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	446648

Hit “FingerPrintEnroll.”

That brings up a screen with a white box and it says to touch the sensor.

Name:	Fingerprint-sensor-test_screen3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	446649

Every single time a finger is placed on the sensor, an image should be taken. EVERY SINGLE TIME!

But in my case, it failed about 90% of the time! (In the screenshot below, it shows a successful image; but this is just to show you what it’s supposed to do – I blurred/distorted the image for security so my fingerprint isn’t online).

Name:	Fingerprint-sensor-test_screen4_securitymodified.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	446650

About 21 times out of about 24 attempts the white box remained solid white, which means the sensor is definitely defective.
    But does the spacebar feel as firm or loose/wobbly ?

I doubt this has anything to do with a faulty sensor, but I'm too curious
    11-06-19 10:12 PM
    But does the spacebar feel as firm or loose/wobbly ?

I doubt this has anything to do with a faulty sensor, but I'm too curious
    Spacebar feels perfect and performs flawlessly.
    11-07-19 01:53 AM
    Spacebar feels perfect and performs flawlessly.
    Oh I just realized this was an LE thread, so it makes sense that the spacebar itself (as a space key) is perfect.
    11-07-19 10:04 AM
    I've learned a few things about the fingerprint reader.

For a very accurate diagnostic to show when the fingerprint reader is and is not registering an image, do this (BlackBerry tech support showed me how to do this):

In the phone app enter this code: *#2886#

Hit MANU.

That brings up the menu. Hit “FingerPrintEnroll.”

That brings up a screen with a white box and it says to touch the sensor. Every time a finger is placed on the sensor, an image should be taken and registered. This enables the user to see how reliably the image is registering or not. (I have no idea what the difference is between pressing Pass or Fail afterwards. I don't know that it makes any difference. Either will take you back a step and you can just proceed again and again.)

Now, here's the fun part, which is very important for anyone to know who is questioning if they have a faulty fingerprint sensor or not: I did a Google search on fingerprint reliability and a ton of stuff came up explaining that very often it's not the device but the finger itself! Often with age or other wear, or being low on hydration or oils in the fingertip, the device can't read a fingerprint. Do your own Google search and see how much comes up! Many people in law enforcement and security state that very often the equipment fails because of the fingertip involved, and very often they have the subject use a hand moisterizer and then the reading can be taken successfully. So, if it's not reading your thumb print, try a little hand moisturizer (or just wetting your thumb with your mouth and drying it off on your shirt for that matter). And then -- here's the real fun part -- try a different finger, like your index finger. Doing all that with the above diagnostic test procedure, you might be very surprised at the results you get!
    11-11-19 06:31 AM
    ...I did a Google search on fingerprint reliability and a ton of stuff came up explaining that very often it's not the device but the finger itself! Often with age or other wear, or being low on hydration or oils in the fingertip, the device can't read a fingerprint.
    There is some truth in this, but whereas I have zero problems ever with the fingerprint sensor on my KeyOne, I had a whole bunch of problems on my Key2. I could clear and re-enroll my fingerprint and it would be fine for a while on the Key2, and then it would start becoming harder and harder to use. Sometimes lifting my thumb off the sensor, rubbing the skin with another finger (to remove some dead skin probably - my fingers have a lot of calluses) and doing it again works. Never have to do this on the KeyOne.

Haven't had my Key2 LE long enough to see if it is the same as my Key2 on this - or maybe the sensor on my individual Key2 was the culprit.
    12-13-19 05:49 PM
    There is some truth in this, but whereas I have zero problems ever with the fingerprint sensor on my KeyOne, I had a whole bunch of problems on my Key2. I could clear and re-enroll my fingerprint and it would be fine for a while on the Key2, and then it would start becoming harder and harder to use. Sometimes lifting my thumb off the sensor, rubbing the skin with another finger (to remove some dead skin probably - my fingers have a lot of calluses) and doing it again works. Never have to do this on the KeyOne.

Haven't had my Key2 LE long enough to see if it is the same as my Key2 on this - or maybe the sensor on my individual Key2 was the culprit.
    I agree completely that it's an issue with the difference between the sensors on the KeyONE and the Key2, since this matches my experience exactly. I have had the KeyONE since it first came out and still never ever have an issue with the fingerprint sensor, and yet with the Key2 my experience has matched what you describe -- it would be fine a few dozen times and then not work at all.
    12-15-19 04:18 AM