They shouldn't care if they are done.....But if the Key line is done in the US then they definitely shouldn't care.
    If? BlackBerry Mobile is done in the US. There is no more inventory...unless they are in business for another reason other than making money...
    07-22-19 07:47 PM
    Do not confuse Canada with the USA ( not sure how that is possible) . My local Telus shop has working BlackBerry demo phones!
    Canada has been more supportive than USA in NA but seriously, at 10% of the population, Canada isn’t capable of carrying BBMo to any significant level. That’s not being critical of Canada but just a sheer numbers reality.
    07-22-19 11:04 PM
    Aside from the lack of communication being no good from anyone's perspective, the irony that someone like me would gladly buy 3-4 backup Key2 LE units if there was advanced notice that the production was going to end and that a Key3 wouldn't be available would actually result in additional sales.

Meanwhile I now have to decide to whether to stock up a few backups with risk that it was a temporary blip, which I consider to be highly unlikely. The odds of them "keeping the pool empty" for a few months until the next model is very low... Not impossible but very low...

Great job TCL and BB. Yet another reason for users to frustrated. Marketing 101 - you can only frustrate your loyal users for so long before they leave...
    I have the same thinking.
    That's why I think if TCL call its next phone as BlackBerry Final Edition, it will get a huge media coverage and sell in very good numbers.
    Way better than this silent and slow death.
    07-22-19 11:19 PM
    Chuck says "BBMo priority to NA was and is carrier sales, period and that’s it."

and I am saying that BBmo has had carrier support in Canada and sales while better than the USA are hardly good. Even if USA carriers stocked BBmo phones, sales might not be enough to float BBmo.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 07-23-19 at 12:22 AM.
    07-22-19 11:57 PM
    If anyone knows anything, it’s VZW and the NA silence could be at their request. BBMo priority to NA was and is carrier sales, period and that’s it.
    I would agree... if VZW had inventory to sell.
    07-23-19 07:14 AM
    If we see a key3, I will be very surprised.
    I won't.
    07-23-19 09:31 AM
    So now there is no inventory at Amazon UK it seems...:

/ask-question-f432/key-2-a-1174118/
    07-23-19 10:22 AM
    So now there is no inventory at Amazon UK it seems...:

/ask-question-f432/key-2-a-1174118/
    Not sure if Amazon UK was a big seller there... I taught Clove, Carphone Warehouse, BB EU Store and maybe a couple of other retailers were the channels of choice there.
    07-23-19 10:50 AM
    Not sure if Amazon UK was a big seller there... I taught Clove, Carphone Warehouse, BB EU Store and maybe a couple of other retailers were the channels of choice there.
    Indeed.
    07-23-19 10:59 AM
    In a way kinda wish there had been a NA Store... But BBMo got lots of Canadian Carrier Support, and I think initially they taught they had more US Carrier Support, so didn't see the need. But Amazon was a known retailer and had full US coverage.. no need to reinvent the wheel.
    07-23-19 11:06 AM
    If we don't hear anything soon, I am going to be tempted to email some BlackBerry Ltd executives and see if they can get onto this.
    Did you email anyone?
    07-23-19 01:34 PM
    Did you email anyone?

I am thinking more along the lines of August, September etc. BlackBerry Mobile announced at Mobile World Congress that we aren't expecting a new BlackBerry for a while. I understand that but what I don't like is the lack of any information.

Hopefully something comes out in September as for an update for BlackBerry 10 users and a path to upgrade, an OS upgrade for BlackBerry Key 2 series and some longer term plan.

BlackBerry Mobile is in a different boat in the sense that the small fan base needs to be engaged as to what's going on and can plan accordingly. The big manufacturers that have huge volume have the chance to have a huge portion of the user base upgrade on a consistent basis but BlackBerry Mobile doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    RK_BB likes this.
    07-23-19 01:59 PM
    I am thinking more along the lines of August, September etc. BlackBerry Mobile announced at Mobile World Congress that we aren't expecting a new BlackBerry for a while. I understand that but what I don't like is the lack of any information.

Hopefully something comes out in September as for an update for BlackBerry 10 users and a path to upgrade, an OS upgrade for BlackBerry Key 2 series and some longer term plan.

BlackBerry Mobile is in a different boat in the sense that the small fan base needs to be engaged as to what's going on and can plan accordingly. The big manufacturers that have huge volume have the chance to have a huge portion of the user base upgrade on a consistent basis but BlackBerry Mobile doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    Are BB10 and BBOS users even a factor at this point? If they haven't upgraded yet, I'm not sure a KEY3 is going to entice them to move on over.
    the_boon likes this.
    07-23-19 02:37 PM
    Are BB10 and BBOS users even a factor at this point? If they haven't upgraded yet, I'm not sure a KEY3 is going to entice them to move on over.
    Agreed.

I actually think TCL is resigned to the fact that they need a significant percentage of KEY² users to upgrade too in order to make a KEY³ viable - yet another reason to delay the launch.
    07-23-19 02:43 PM
    I am admittedly perhaps not the best person to ask since my opinion is well-known, but I'd tend to agree with DDD here. BB10 and BBOS users (with the exception of a few who are just waiting to be able to afford an upgrade) are either not going to move to Android/iOS at all or are not going to wait on a Blackberry Mobile device to do so.

I'm going to go off my usual script here and offer some advice to TCL: if they truly want to keep the Blackberry Mobile brand going, they need to have some sort of differentiator that gets people excited about Blackberry again. Right now, they don't have that for anyone who doesn't love Android AND who loves PKBs.

If Blackberry Limited wants to make some additional cash, they can work with Sailfish or any of the third-party Linux OS manufacturers out there to incorporate Blackberry security and privacy into their devices. KaiOS is another prime candidate.

Of course, there's also always the licensing and reinvigoration of Blackberry 10 using an updated QNX code base, which they already have from their IoT/automotive business...but we all know how those threads tend to be received.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    07-23-19 02:45 PM
    I'm not sure a KEY3 is going to entice them to move on over.
    I'm just one little blip but almost to my 5 year Passport keep and I may be ready for a Key3.
    07-23-19 02:49 PM
    I'm just one little blip but almost to my 5 year Passport keep and I may be ready for a Key3.

I am in the same boat as you. I have a 3 year old BlackBerry Passport SE. It's still working great and does the basic functions amazingly well and the battery still gets me through a day.

Long term though I do need a solution for basic apps, hardware lifespan, a quality browser and a physical keyboard. I am really really really hoping for a BlackBerry Key 3 or some other physical keyboard device. I can probably deal with the Passport realistically for another year in combination with a tablet or something, if by then BlackBerry Mobile has a KEY 3 device with 5g capability, amazing! Hopefully something though

Posted via CB10
    07-23-19 03:05 PM
    I am admittedly perhaps not the best person to ask since my opinion is well-known, but I'd tend to agree with DDD here. BB10 and BBOS users (with the exception of a few who are just waiting to be able to afford an upgrade) are either not going to move to Android/iOS at all or are not going to wait on a Blackberry Mobile device to do so.

I'm going to go off my usual script here and offer some advice to TCL: if they truly want to keep the Blackberry Mobile brand going, they need to have some sort of differentiator that gets people excited about Blackberry again. Right now, they don't have that for anyone who doesn't love Android AND who loves PKBs.

If Blackberry Limited wants to make some additional cash, they can work with Sailfish or any of the third-party Linux OS manufacturers out there to incorporate Blackberry security and privacy into their devices. KaiOS is another prime candidate.

Of course, there's also always the licensing and reinvigoration of Blackberry 10 using an updated QNX code base, which they already have from their IoT/automotive business...but we all know how those threads tend to be received.
    All TCL wants is to sell phones... they hoped that BlackBerry had a builtin customer base (enterprise).

At this point I think Chen has let go most of the executives, trimmed down the app department... and is probable ending things with all six of the device licensee. Only TCL came close to delivering some measure of revenue, but all along we said they needed a userbase of several million users to support YoY sales.

Bottom line is the cost of BlackBerry Securing of "any" OS is going to put that product out of the competitive market. And if iOS and Android are meeting everyone's in enterprises needs already... what is the point.

Chen expects low risk and high margins... I just don't see Sailfish, KaiOS or anything at this point providing him that. Better to let go of the past and focus on BlackBerry's future.
    07-23-19 03:08 PM
    All TCL wants is to sell phones... they hoped that BlackBerry had a builtin customer base (enterprise).

At this point I think Chen has let go most of the executives, trimmed down the app department... and is probable ending things with all six of the device licensee. Only TCL came close to delivering some measure of revenue, but all along we said they needed a userbase of several million users to support YoY sales.

Bottom line is the cost of BlackBerry Securing of "any" OS is going to put that product out of the competitive market. And if iOS and Android are meeting everyone's in enterprises needs already... what is the point.

Chen expects low risk and high margins... I just don't see Sailfish, KaiOS or anything at this point providing him that. Better to let go of the past and focus on BlackBerry's future.
    I think you (although not Blackberry Limited, as I'm not seeing the same things you are) may underestimate the desire of both the enterprise and consumer bases for a privacy-focused security-oriented OS. I grant that BBL would purely be licensing here, and unless the licensee handled their own marketing/technology well (something TCL has failed at in my view) there would only be a niche market, but there's definitely revenue to be made.

To be clear, I'm not saying necessarily that there would be a challenger to the iOS/Android duopoly, but that such an OS would be popular enough (with the apps and hardware that people want, if it had such things) to make money for its designers/manufacturers.

As for low risk and high margins, this is the lowest possible risk Chen could have, with potential for additional medium margins that help boost the overall bottom line. Chen knows enough to know when multiple small to medium operations can help boost the overall margins.
    07-23-19 03:18 PM
    I think you (although not Blackberry Limited, as I'm not seeing the same things you are) may underestimate the desire of both the enterprise and consumer bases for a privacy-focused security-oriented OS. I grant that BBL would purely be licensing here, and unless the licensee handled their own marketing/technology well (something TCL has failed at in my view) there would only be a niche market, but there's definitely revenue to be made.

To be clear, I'm not saying necessarily that there would be a challenger to the iOS/Android duopoly, but that such an OS would be popular enough (with the apps and hardware that people want, if it had such things) to make money for its designers/manufacturers.

As for low risk and high margins, this is the lowest possible risk Chen could have, with potential for additional medium margins that help boost the overall bottom line. Chen knows enough to know when multiple small to medium operations can help boost the overall margins.
    IOS and Knox, supported by an EMM, is secure enough for all but the most extreme state-level players - who have their own proprietary/custom devices anyway.

No need for anything else.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-23-19 03:21 PM

I look at the Billions that BlackBerry spent on BB10, I look at the Billions that Microsoft spent on Windows Phone/Mobile. I don't think smartphone OS is something to be done for cheap.

Look at Jolla at that Tablet kickstarter they did... only said they needed $380K, but raised over $2.5 million.... and still couldn't deliver a product. Not sure how many backers ever got their money back. Today most the money keeping Jolla afloat is coming from Chinese and Russian governments - two governments that aren't concerned with an individuals privacy at all. And the real scary thing... Jolla's Pienimäki has stated "Security protocols aren’t Jolla’s expertise".
    07-23-19 03:59 PM
    IOS and Knox, supported by an EMM, is secure enough for all but the most extreme state-level players - who have their own proprietary/custom devices anyway.

This.
    07-23-19 04:16 PM

While I understand you have different requirements for security than others, that sentiment certainly does not apply to a good portion of the consumer base, and much of the enterprise as well--it's simply that in many cases enterprise has no other choice.
    07-23-19 05:36 PM
    I look at the Billions that BlackBerry spent on BB10, I look at the Billions that Microsoft spent on Windows Phone/Mobile. I don't think smartphone OS is something to be done for cheap.

Look at Jolla at that Tablet kickstarter they did... only said they needed $380K, but raised over $2.5 million.... and still couldn't deliver a product. Not sure how many backers ever got their money back. Today most the money keeping Jolla afloat is coming from Chinese and Russian governments - two governments that aren't concerned with an individuals privacy at all. And the real scary thing... Jolla's Pienimäki has stated "Security protocols aren’t Jolla’s expertise".
    Blackberry Limited, and arguably Microsoft, did not market their devices nearly as much as was required. In BB10's case the app gap also significantly hurt adoption.

As for Jolla, it's certainly concerning that Russia is backing them, although it's unclear whether there is a split between the main Sailfish OS and the Russian-owned variety. I've not heard of Chinese involvement. Pienimaki's comment would be further evidence that a security-focused company like Blackberry Limited could license/work with Jolla to secure Sailfish.
    07-23-19 05:38 PM
    While I understand you have different requirements for security than others, that sentiment certainly does not apply to a good portion of the consumer base, and much of the enterprise as well--it's simply that in many cases enterprise has no other choice.
    Are you aware of any breaches for said setup (iOS or Knox on a properly configured EMM)?

What statistics do you have with regards to your "good portion of the consumer base" and "much of the enterprise base" statements?
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-23-19 05:50 PM
593 ... 7891011 ...