Now that BlackBerry Mobile is finished, do you think another licensee would consider a deal with BlackBerry? With a proper marketing campaign, focused on security and the ability of the physical keyboard to replace the need to carry around a laptop, the phones could be a big success.
    If (and it's still a big if) BlackBerry Mobile exits the market then that would mean four companies have now failed to make the smartphone brand sustainable. I don't see a fifth trying for quite some time, if ever.
    07-21-19 11:28 AM
    If (and it's still a big if) BlackBerry Mobile exits the market then that would mean four companies have now failed to make the smartphone brand sustainable. I don't see a fifth trying for quite some time, if ever.
    BlackBerry Mobile never did any proper marketing. People still don't know that the KEYone and KEY2 even existed. Would need to be a company with a passion for and commitment to the brand.
    07-21-19 11:47 AM
    BlackBerry Mobile never did any proper marketing. People still don't know that the KEYone and KEY2 even existed. Would need to be a company with a passion for and commitment to the brand.
    Wow. Back to the marketing shtick again. BBMo spent lots of money, formed carrier relationships, were aggressive in social media, funded the number one BlackBerry fan site, etc. They can't afford to launch a billion dollar campaign.
    07-21-19 12:07 PM
    Wow. Back to the marketing shtick again. BBMo spent lots of money, formed carrier relationships, were aggressive in social media, funded the number one BlackBerry fan site, etc. They can't afford to launch a billion dollar campaign.
    You consistently do an excellent job of replying quickly.
    07-21-19 12:14 PM
    funded the number one BlackBerry fan site.
    Which made it biased!
    John Albert likes this.
    07-21-19 12:18 PM
    You consistently do an excellent job of replying quickly.
    I'm a bot, so it's easy.
    07-21-19 12:18 PM
    Which made it biased!
    Whether you believe Bla1ze is under the thumb of the Man, is up to you. I haven't seen any evidence of such - he's a pretty straight shooter.
    07-21-19 12:19 PM
    Whether you believe Bla1ze is under the thumb of the Man, is up to you. I haven't seen any evidence of such.
    I certainly believe that funding CrackBerry was subject to NDA signatures that contained something to the nature of "you shall not speak poorly about that company" amongst many other restrictions which by nature defuse any opinion that can be interpreted as negative towards the brand.

This, in my school, is a way to create a biased situation at a place that was otherwise free to critic and support its fans and customer base.
    Paulelmar18 and elfabio80 like this.
    07-21-19 12:26 PM
    I'm a bot, so it's easy.
    Ha. Seriously though. It is badass.
    What is your day job when not being the most responsive person on this site?
    07-21-19 12:26 PM
    I can assure you there is no censoring of opinion against or for BBMo. Everyone is free to tell it like they see it. I would advise it needs to be done in a constructive manner though. Coming on here and posting that BB phones are **** isnt going to get you anywhere and would be straight up trolling.
    07-21-19 12:34 PM
    Everyone is free to tell it like they see it. I would advise it needs to be done in a constructive manner though. Coming on here and posting that BB phones are **** isnt going to get you anywhere and would be straight up trolling.
    I agree.
    07-21-19 12:42 PM
    Ha. Seriously though. It is badass.
    What is your day job when not being the most responsive person on this site?
    I'm a multitasker.
    07-21-19 01:28 PM
    I'm a multitasker.
    Must be the speed key
    07-21-19 01:32 PM
    I don't know how many they sold, that's not really relevant. The question is, after being on the market for so long here, what do you think the size of the untapped market is?

TCL has the info and has chosen to divert its attention elswhere.
    Conite, I don't disagree with your statement but when you think about the normal smartphone cycle typically being 1 year, it's clear that they have simply elected not to build a Key3. It's not reasonable for anyone (let alone TCL with the BB brand) to sell the same phone in a market for more than a year and expect a lot of continued volume. IMO this signals that the Key series is done in the US - not sure about the rest of the world. If that was not the case then they would clearly keep feeding the US with inventory, regardless of the sales volumes, until the Key3 launched and replaced it...
    07-21-19 03:17 PM
    Conite, I don't disagree with your statement but when you think about the normal smartphone cycle typically being 1 year, it's clear that they have simply elected not to build a Key3. It's not reasonable for anyone (let alone TCL with the BB brand) to sell the same phone in a market for more than a year and expect a lot of continued volume. IMO this signals that the Key series is done in the US - not sure about the rest of the world. If that was not the case then they would clearly keep feeding the US with inventory, regardless of the sales volumes, until the Key3 launched and replaced it...
    100%!
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    07-21-19 03:22 PM
    In short, it looks like no BlackBerry Mobile products are not available for sale in the US from any of the authorized resellers, Amazon or Best Buy.

Why? No one knows for sure; there are plently of assumption, ranging from closing down shop all the way to focusing on other markets.
    Thank you!
    RK_BB likes this.
    07-21-19 03:22 PM
    They specifically said in February that the product cycle would be extended until there was a compelling hardware reason to warrant a new device, and not to expect a new device prior to the end of year.
    07-21-19 03:41 PM
    They specifically said in February that the product cycle would be extended until there was a compelling hardware reason to warrant a new device, and not to expect a new device prior to the end of year.
    Well then I expect a leak / benchmark sighting any day now. Cool!
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    07-21-19 03:47 PM
    The only thing I can take is that if BlackBerry Mobile was still going to sell product, they would have product to sell one way or another.

If a steakhouse got a deal on some top quality steaks in a small quantity, they would market the steaks and sell. If the demand lead to the steaks being sold out and other cuts of beef and meat being sold out, would you expect the steakhouse to continue getting new meat?

If all that was left at the steakhouse was soup, salad & bread, would it be a steakhouse?

All I know is that for the fans of BlackBerry devices, there doesn't seem to be any devices available for purchase in any meaningful number.

When BlackBerry Mobile announced a "pause on annual upgrade trend" that was 6 months ago, sure they might not have known what was going on at the time. It's almost August of 2019 so if there was going to be a device coming in the coming months, logically you would at least offer an update to your clients who are waiting, if you plan on being in business.

You wouldn't want this speculation and brand damage floating around the Internet about the demise of BlackBerry Mobile. You would want to refute the story and at least offer an update. I've emailed as many people as I can possibly find and emailed BlackBerry Mobile PR as well. Either the emails were bounced back as not valid or no response. This is strange to me in some ways.

If we don't hear anything soon, I am going to be tempted to email some BlackBerry Ltd executives and see if they can get onto this. Licensing agreement or not, the BlackBerry Mobile brand has the name BlackBerry on it and it doesn't need any further brand damage or speculation as to their future, that's been a tough enough war to battle. As a shareholder of BlackBerry Ltd, I know the full battle and it's been a long one for everybody involved.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-19 04:56 PM
    The only thing I can take is that if BlackBerry Mobile was still going to sell product, they would have product to sell one way or another.

If a steakhouse got a deal on some top quality steaks in a small quantity, they would market the steaks and sell. If the demand lead to the steaks being sold out and other cuts of beef and meat being sold out, would you expect the steakhouse to continue getting new meat?
    According to some forum members, the steakhouse would have run the numbers and decided its best not to have any more steak to sell....
    the_boon and John Albert like this.
    07-21-19 05:03 PM
    According to some forum members, the steakhouse would have run the numbers and decided its best not to have any more steak to sell....

More like the steakhouse has decided to only process orders for UberEats because apparently there is no more demand for in-house eating.
    Last edited by the_boon; 07-21-19 at 05:54 PM.
    howarmat and RK_BB like this.
    07-21-19 05:43 PM

More like the steakhouse has decided to only process orders for UberEats because apparently there is no more demand for in-house eating.
    I agree with this as I know some places have moved to online only for certain times or day and or days of the week. It makes sense to me.
    07-21-19 06:04 PM
    Honestly, I can understand all of the perspectives here but to think that BB is going to come out with a Key3 months (or longer) after their main distribution partners stop stocking the version it is replacing is ridiculous. Imagine Amazon and Best Buy and all other major channels stopping to sell the Samsung Galaxy S10 randomly and then starting to sell the Samsung Galaxy S11 6 month later. That's clearly a scenario that will never happen for countless reasons just like it didn't happen with the transition from the KeyOne to the Key2 at retail and which tells us that the Key3 is almost certainly not going to be released in the US.
    07-21-19 07:31 PM
    Honestly, I can understand all of the perspectives here but to think that BB is going to come out with a Key3 months (or longer) after their main distribution partners stop stocking the version it is replacing is ridiculous. Imagine Amazon and Best Buy and all other major channels stopping to sell the Samsung Galaxy S10 randomly and then starting to sell the Samsung Galaxy S11 6 month later. That's clearly a scenario that will never happen for countless reasons just like it didn't happen with the transition from the KeyOne to the Key2 at retail and which tells us that the Key3 is almost certainly not going to be released in the US.
    Are they still not better off waiting, as they themselves suggested, until they have something compelling to offer? What good would a slightly upgraded KEY² do today? You actually want people to BUY the next device.

And, really a separate topic, what effort do you put into the US market today if the demand for the KEY² has pretty much dried up?
    07-21-19 07:45 PM
    Amazon like eBay or other Web 2.0 distribution long evolved from traditional retailer or distribution partner. I seriously doubt that BBMo has the same deal as the Android/iOS proprietary and flagship OEMs have. I’m pretty sure it’s more similar to a logistics retailer type relationship. With that, product will simply come and go based on supply and demand.

In the USA, carrier partners are the only relationships that matter before any others can really be developed. The KEYone has AT&T while the Key2 LE has VZW finally.

Still, I don’t get all the lamenting for the Key2 a year after introduction. It’s been available for purchase forever as long as you paid full retail. Small discount were sometimes available. Most impressive was that it held it’s pricing..
    07-21-19 07:52 PM
593 ... 56789 ...