I have an in-dash screen in my car. I use Android Auto and plug my Key2 LE into the car to access the maps.

Is there anyway I can turn off charging while plugged in? My phone is always charging when in the car and I'm thinking this could be a problem for my battery over the long haul.

Is there a setting or an app that is designed for this? I read that not charging beyond 80% has benefits for the battery as well. Is there an app that shuts down charging once reaching 80%?
    rarsen likes this.
    05-20-20 06:23 AM
    I have an in-dash screen in my car. I use Android Auto and plug my Key2 LE into the car to access the maps.

Is there anyway I can turn off charging while plugged in? My phone is always charging when in the car and I'm thinking this could be a problem for my battery over the long haul.

Is there a setting or an app that is designed for this? I read that not charging beyond 80% has benefits for the battery as well. Is there an app that shuts down charging once reaching 80%?
    Unfortunately, there is no way to separate the two.

However, extended use of Android Auto is fairly hard on the battery anyway. You'll need the charging.
    rarsen likes this.
    05-20-20 07:42 AM
    I use AccuBattery set to getting a notification once 80% charging reached I unplug. Helps while driving not constantly looking at screen for charge level.
    05-20-20 07:59 AM
    I use AccuBattery set to getting a notification once 80% charging reached I unplug. Helps while driving not constantly looking at screen for charge level.
    Problem is that then disables Android Auto.... which is what he doesn't want to do. As I assume his car is one of many that don't support Android Auto or Carplay via a wireless connection. There are some USB dongles that will provide this functionality. But in the end, having GPS, Cellular and WiFi all going at once, will make you plug it in anyway.

Do think it would be "cool" if Smartphone OEMs provided and option to control the charge level. Most day's I only use 40% of my battery on my XR. If Apple gave me the option to set it at 60% or 80% capacity as full, I'd do it for everyday use. But when I know I'll be out and about and might need more battery power... being able to set it at 100% the night before would be there if needed.
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    05-20-20 08:22 AM
    Charging the battery all the way full is a LOT less hard on the battery than letting it run all the way empty. You should be able to get 4+ years out of the battery if you can prevent it from ever falling below 20% or so, even if you charge to 100% every day. Yes, in an ideal world, you could go longer if you always kept it between 20%-90% charge, but IMO the difference that would make isn't worth the hassle. Just keep it from hitting empty and you'll be fine.
    05-20-20 02:07 PM