That's how I read it. Hope I'm wrong.
    02-05-20 11:18 AM
    we dont know for sure, 2 years hasnt run out yet so its hard to say
    02-05-20 11:39 AM
    Hope for the best, but expect the worst.
    02-05-20 11:48 AM
    We know Google provides the last patch to Oreo in (likely) August, so that's as far as it can go no matter what.

24 months from KEY² launch brings us to a final patch in May or June.

We haven't seen a Jan or Feb patch yet, but TCL seems to be under a virus lockdown at the moment, so it's too soon to tell.
    02-05-20 12:52 PM
    We know Google provides the last patch to Oreo in (likely) August, so that's as far as it can go no matter what.

We haven't seen a Jan or Feb patch yet, but TCL seems to be under a virus lockdown at the moment, so it's too soon to tell.
    - insert coronavirus joke here - placeholder
    02-05-20 12:56 PM
    thanks! I guess we'll find out for sure over the next few months.
    02-05-20 12:57 PM
    Hi guys, please can you explain to those of us who want to keep our Key2s going for as long as possible and don’t understand all your tech guy shorthand what the reality will be.....what will stop working and when? What will the vulnerabilities be? And is it actually likely that our phones will continue working fine way beyond these critical dates that are being posited......?
    02-05-20 04:40 PM
    Hi guys, please can you explain to those of us who want to keep our Key2s going for as long as possible and don’t understand all your tech guy shorthand what the reality will be.....what will stop working and when? What will the vulnerabilities be? And is it actually likely that our phones will continue working fine way beyond these critical dates that are being posited......?
    you can probably use your phone fine for another 4 years. Security will start to be more questionable but if you good about what you install and such it really shouldnt be a big issue
    02-05-20 05:04 PM
    I'd say you will start to have problems obtaining the latest app versions from the Play Store in 2-3 years.

Depending on your risk aversion, whether or not you have client data on your phone, and how safe your mobile practices are, your desire to be using an unpatched Android device could range between 3 months and 3 years.
    02-05-20 05:11 PM
    Hi guys, please can you explain to those of us who want to keep our Key2s going for as long as possible and don’t understand all your tech guy shorthand what the reality will be.....what will stop working and when?
    Monthly Security patches may have already ended, or they may pick up and end this summer.
    Possible that the TCL apps and BlackBerry apps may not get updated or patched going forward as well.

What will the vulnerabilities be?
    Just depends on what is found by researches, and patched by Google. These can range from minor to critical....

But a user that is careful in how they use their phone, should be fine.

And is it actually likely that our phones will continue working fine way beyond these critical dates that are being posited......?
    Lot's of people using Android devices that don't get patches or updates...
    Only issues would be if your phone is connected to a work network with a UEM that has minimum requirements.
    02-06-20 01:26 PM
    - insert coronavirus joke here - placeholder
    Hey I see in another thread your photo pooped up!
    anon(10622733) likes this.
    02-06-20 07:14 PM
    I'd say you will start to have problems obtaining the latest app versions from the Play Store in 2-3 years.

Depending on your risk aversion, whether or not you have client data on your phone, and how safe your mobile practices are, your desire to be using an unpatched Android device could range between 3 months and 3 years.
    I think the app issue will be closer to 4-5, but still much to early to start to pull out the worry towel.
    02-06-20 07:15 PM
    Thanks guys for your considered input, comforting and appreciated. Interesting that the serious press gave time and attention yesterday UK time to the “demise” but already suggesting that it just not might not be....

Now wouldn’t that be wonderful! Bet Mr Musk loved his BlackBerry......pocket money project to keep it alive until everything comes full circle to everyone realising the value of this wonderful device....
    02-06-20 07:19 PM
    ACI 448 now updated, APBI-PRD65004061
    02-11-20 04:16 PM

thanks for this! before the recent announcement, I was hoping for a key2 replacement this year as security updates ticks one of the boxes for me having a daily driver. i'd go all in on a pixel but lack of an sd card slot and a smaller battery makes it a hard sell; there's too many compromises moving on from the key2 to a new device
    02-25-20 01:12 AM
    I don't understand why Blackberry can't devise a way to slip all the KEY series phones an update if they choose. I think it's been said but I forget what and where. Can someone enlighten me again?

Hammered out on my Precious Passport.
    02-25-20 05:19 AM
    I don't understand why Blackberry can't devise a way to slip all the KEY series phones an update if they choose. I think it's been said but I forget what and where. Can someone enlighten me again?

BlackBerry would incur expenses with zero benefits since it’s BlackBerry Mobile obligations.
    02-25-20 05:47 AM
    BlackBerry would incur expenses with zero benefits since it’s BlackBerry Mobile obligations.
    Again Chuck I would like you too try and not use these kinds of word or you will be on a timeout in the corner .
    Never and forever are words that has fallen back on the advice given to BB10 users questions about ever getting a 1:1 android screen. I am more interested if it can be done not only for the consumer but their already crumbling reputation.
    02-25-20 05:58 AM

Because the update software on the KEY is by TCL, and it only searches the TCL server for the data.

BlackBerry simply has no access to the devices.
    02-25-20 06:32 AM
    Again Chuck I would like you too try and not use these kinds of word or you will be on a timeout in the corner .
    Never and forever are words that has fallen back on the advice given to BB10 users questions about ever getting a 1:1 android screen. I am more interested if it can be done not only for the consumer but their already crumbling reputation.
    I’m pretty sure it can be done since it’s BlackBerry licensed hardware. Since BlackBerry has exited mobile over three years ago, there’s no consumer business or reputation to speak of. For most consumers, BlackBerry really hasn’t existed for years. If you want anything consumer, the Cylance products are your offerings to choose from.

At time, 1:1 ratio was explained, it was factual. Since PIE, maybe Oreo, that’s changed, but if traditional PKB layout won’t sell, it’s special looking sibling could only fare worse. Titan has proven that.

I’m afraid for all of us, it’s really over. I don’t expect the BlackBerry subscriptions to continue without some huge uptick in sales. With how BBMe is poorly supported, I don’t see any huge uptick from enthusiastic consumers. Nostalgia only applies to people that were there first time around. People important enough to carry BlackBerry in 00s was niche that appears to have been exploited, maximized and whatever other polite words can be said.
    02-25-20 06:55 AM
    I’m pretty sure it can be done since it’s BlackBerry licensed hardware. Since BlackBerry has exited mobile over three years ago, there’s no consumer business or reputation to speak of. For most consumers, BlackBerry really hasn’t existed for years. If you want anything consumer, the Cylance products are your offerings to choose from.

At time, 1:1 ratio was explained, it was factual. Since PIE, maybe Oreo, that’s changed, but if traditional PKB layout won’t sell, it’s special looking sibling could only fare worse. Titan has proven that.

I’m afraid for all of us, it’s really over. I don’t expect the BlackBerry subscriptions to continue without some huge uptick in sales. With how BBMe is poorly supported, I don’t see any huge uptick from enthusiastic consumers. Nostalgia only applies to people that were there first time around. People important enough to carry BlackBerry in 00s was niche that appears to have been exploited, maximized and whatever other polite words can be said.
    Never say never even at that time it looks darkest and the sun has gone down and the zombies have risen with a hunger of 10 lifetimes
    02-25-20 07:07 AM
    Because the update software on the KEY is by TCL, and it only searches the TCL server for the data.

BlackBerry simply has no access to the devices.
    But BlackBerry controls and injects everything....

Can see how some might be confused about who does what with the OS. Maybe BlackBerry signed each update and only they can sign them. Thus BBMo might have no control over things, as BlackBerry isn't sending the updates to them to push out?

Or maybe the updates are all on BBMo, and they have simply cut cost.... Not like TCL has some huge department setup to update all their phones.
    02-25-20 07:31 AM
    Never say never even at that time it looks darkest and the sun has gone down and the zombies have risen with a hunger of 10 lifetimes
    Well according to others far more IT experienced than I will ever have in 10 lifetimes, it doesn’t matter either way per above...
    02-25-20 07:43 AM
    Well according to others far more IT experienced than I will ever have in 10 lifetimes, it doesn’t matter either way per above...
    Trust no one with anything, anywhere at any time . Stranger things have happened
    02-25-20 08:01 AM
    But BlackBerry controls and injects everything....

Can see how some might be confused about who does what with the OS. Maybe BlackBerry signed each update and only they can sign them. Thus BBMo might have no control over things, as BlackBerry isn't sending the updates to them to push out?

Or maybe the updates are all on BBMo, and they have simply cut cost.... Not like TCL has some huge department setup to update all their phones.
    BlackBerry injects the factory image onto the phones on the production floor, but after that, they simply delivered the signed OSes to TCL for distribution via TCL's servers and device update software.

There is simply no way for BlackBerry to reach a TCL device.
    02-25-20 08:01 AM
34 12