That's your opinion. It would appear the market has a different opinion.
    I don't neccesarily disagree with you, but at this point you're starting to sound like a broken record...
    05-07-19 12:08 PM
    I'm not suggesting it's ideal but give me a notch over a big forehead and the current bb screen tech anyday.

A notched display is realistic and a progression from the dinosaur tech you seem to be advocating for.

Of course I'd be more than happy if bb decide to opt for a cutout like on the samsung s10 but I don't see that happening.

Honestly your approach would see bb finally consigned to the dustbin of history and rightly so.
    I definitely don't want BlackBerry to make larger edge-to-edge screens with notches and cutouts. There are enough of those already, and, besides, my KEYone is already too large for convenient daily carry.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    the_boon, Vistaus and jmorgan456 like this.
    05-07-19 12:54 PM
    At this point, the best thing for BBMo would be for BlackBerry to pull the plug on BB10 and BBOS at the end of the year... force users to either update or move on.

Sadly I'm thinking that will be too late to matter for BBMo.... So for the next few years we will have people finally getting around to a KEYdevice and asking "Is a KEYone still viable in 2021?" or "Where can I buy a RED KEY2 new in the box for $100 in 2022?" or "How do I update my KEY 2 LE to Android S?"
    BB10 sucks at Android, and BlackBerry Android socks at BB10-style work flow. When BlackBerry Protect stops working, and I ha e to retire my BB10 phones, I'm much more likely to buy a lightweight PC than a new BBMo phone.

05-07-19 01:02 PM
    I definitely don't want BlackBerry to make larger edge-to-edge screens with notches and cutouts. There are enough of those already, and, besides, my KEYone is already too large for convenient daily carry.

Why wouldn't you want a bigger screen with the same footprint?
    arkenoi likes this.
    05-07-19 01:03 PM
    Why wouldn't you want a bigger screen with the same footprint?
    If they can make a bigger screen with the same footprint, they can make a decent screen with a smaller footprint. The footprint size is the problem for me, not the screen.

As someone who primarily writes on my phones, the KEYone screen is easily twice as big as I need it to be already!

05-07-19 01:09 PM
    If they can make a bigger screen with the same footprint, they can make a decent screen with a smaller footprint. The footprint size is the problem for me, not the screen.

As someone who primarily writes on my phones, the KEYone screen is easily twice as big as I need it to be already!

Honestly this is why BlackBerry is doomed. We are already a niche in the world of smartphones. You would have us carve out an even smaller niche.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-07-19 01:25 PM
    Honestly this is why BlackBerry is doomed. We are already a niche in the world of smartphones. You would have us carve out an even smaller niche.
    Current BlackBerry users aren't a single niche. We don't all value the same things. Some care about the PKB. Some care about security and privacy. Some want a flagship, Galaxy-style device. Some want a one-handed retro email appliance.

It's not my job to care about the future of the brand. I just want a device to help me do my job.

Kyle Montanaro likes this.
    05-07-19 01:32 PM
    I just want a device to help me do my job.
    The only "job" that other OEM's devices are helping people do is take nice photos and consume media, since it's obvious that they blow a giant portion of their R&D money into nothing but the cameras and display.

It's crazy that these days, aside from the barely alive BBMo, no one else (aside from F(x)tec I guess?) put ANY effort into a mobile communicator.
    Kyle Montanaro likes this.
    05-07-19 02:22 PM
    The only "job" that other OEM's devices are helping people do is take nice photos and consume media, since it's obvious that they blow a giant portion of their R&D money into nothing but the cameras and display.

It's crazy that these days, aside from the barely alive BBMo, no one else (aside from F(x)tec I guess?) put ANY effort into a mobile communicator.
    Honeywell Dolphin™ CN80 - Android and a keyboard and only $2,000. Makes a KEY2 look like a deal. (they do offer support for four generations of Android)

Something like that BRICK, or a Go Fund Me Project is probable the future... BBMo is only going to prove how small the niche is. I wouldn't be surprised with something along the lines of a JioPhone 2 coming along.

But a quality handset with decent specs and security... I think BBMo offered a bargain. Too bad it doesn't look like they were charging enough to be viable.
    05-07-19 02:49 PM

Mobile phones in 2019 are primarily personal devices that people also use for their jobs. That's the exact opposite of BlackBerry during its heyday. I wasn't allowed to add personal accounts or information to my company-issued Blackberry in 2004-09. It was exclusively intended for work. Unlike most consumers, I still prefer that model of work.

For example, today, I had some errands to run, but I was able to keep about a half dozen plates in the air at work with nothing but my Z10 and email. I had my KEYone out and available, but never ran into a task where it would have been more useful.

jmorgan456 likes this.
    05-07-19 03:23 PM

Fxtec and Planet Computers*
    05-07-19 04:40 PM
    Mobile phones in 2019 are primarily personal devices that people also use for their jobs. That's the exact opposite of BlackBerry during its heyday. I wasn't allowed to add personal accounts or information to my company-issued Blackberry in 2004-09. It was exclusively intended for work. Unlike most consumers, I still prefer that model of work.

For example, today, I had some errands to run, but I was able to keep about a half dozen plates in the air at work with nothing but my Z10 and email. I had my KEYone out and available, but never ran into a task where it would have been more useful.

That's why we have dual-sim phones.
    05-07-19 04:41 PM
    That's why we have dual-sim phones.
    That's useful for separating carrier accounts, but that's really all it does.

05-07-19 04:54 PM
    That's useful for separating carrier accounts, but that's really all it does.

Or serving as an extra sim slot if the main one were to go bad (when does that ever happen anymore though??)

Now wouldn't that be something Passport owners would have wanted, with that awful "emergency calls only" issue.
    05-07-19 07:00 PM
    A real d*** notification led!
    the_boon and nycspaces. like this.
    05-14-19 05:29 AM
    Slider (Priv-style) but with a flat LCD surrounded by an alu frame that sticks out a bit (I'm 1 year into my replacement screen and it's already ghosting, screw OLEDs, the passport's LCD was waaay brighter). And flat because every time you drop a curved-edge, chances are it breaks. Snapdragon 855, 6GB of ram and a big, biiig battery laid horizontally behind the keyboard to keep it's weight on the lower part. Camera should be at least 18mp and tucked to the back of the slider screen for protection and the power and volume buttons should be on opposite sides. Wireless charging and maybe a nice little fingerprint sensor behind the screen.

And an unlocked bootloader.

You asked what we'd like to see, don't judge me😜
    the_boon likes this.
    05-14-19 06:43 AM
    Slider (Priv-style) but with a flat LCD surrounded by an alu frame that sticks out a bit (I'm 1 year into my replacement screen and it's already ghosting, screw OLEDs, the passport's LCD was waaay brighter). And flat because every time you drop a curved-edge, chances are it breaks. Snapdragon 855, 6GB of ram and a big, biiig battery laid horizontally behind the keyboard to keep it's weight on the lower part. Camera should be at least 18mp and tucked to the back of the slider screen for protection and the power and volume buttons should be on opposite sides. Wireless charging and maybe a nice little fingerprint sensor behind the screen.

And an unlocked bootloader.

You asked what we'd like to see, don't judge me
    Sounds interesting!
    Cost?
    $999?
    Kyle Montanaro and the_boon like this.
    05-14-19 07:02 AM
    😂😂 Probably! but at least it's done right first time. Remember there are kids spending around that amount for iphones.
    05-14-19 08:03 AM
    ������������ Probably! but at least it's done right first time. Remember there are kids spending around that amount for iphones.
    Not if carrier purchased with BOGO specials... That’s what kills all but the biggest three Android/IOS OEMs today since BOGO coupled with the monthly interest free payments just perpetuate current market share divisions.
    05-14-19 08:25 AM
    1. Physical disable for microphone and cameras
    2. Software that detects and logs all cell tower connects and disconnects
    3. WPA3
    4. Read only access to all phone and app logs
    5. Punctual Security updates (4 a year plus "essential" updates for 3 years)
    5. Shiny Tin Foil Hat Accessory
    Last edited by IMABBeliever; 06-01-19 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Added one nag from keyone experience
    06-01-19 05:37 AM
    3. WPA3
    jmorgan456 likes this.
    06-01-19 06:22 AM
    3. WPA3
    BlackBerry users don't need a tinfoil hat. All you need to do is show your family and friends you are using a BlackBerry, and they will assume they can't contact you. Even the hackers won't bother.

These days, the sheer act of owning a BlackBerry is a security measure, of regardless what is inside.
    06-01-19 07:25 AM
    Key3 in size of BlackBerry Passport.
    06-03-19 04:15 AM
    1. Better camera
    2. Remove capacitive keys
    3. Snappy
    4. Water resistance

I’d buy right now.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    06-03-19 05:12 AM
    A release date
    the_boon, phuoc, Tim-ANC and 1 others like this.
    06-03-19 06:00 AM
246 ... 45678 ...