I’m pretty sure that BBMo/TCL has quietly been deciding what’s in their best interests from a revenue standpoint. The restructuring appears to be very strategically planned and methodically implemented. Compared with the former BlackBerry hardware division, we’re not seeing a bunch of disorganized chaos that seemed busy. It was only rearranging deck chairs on the proverbial Titanic sinking.
    Well, at least TCL has learned more about manufacturing modern PKB's since they started the licensing deal, so I don't think they'd be afraid to launch an Alcatel KEY3 without the added weight of the BB tax.

The BlackBerry name seems to have a bad rep that's impossible to clean.

Maybe the general consumers would scoff less at a PKB device that doesn't wear that name.

Does the weight of the negative brand perception weigh heavier on the scale than that of nostalgia?

Very likely
    06-24-19 06:09 PM
    June 30th is the date by which they need to determine whether to transition to iOS or Android. They currently service their BB10 devices at a repair shop in Manhattan, would consider moving to BlackBerry Mobile, but requested input on the future of "BlackBerry," as they are afraid to commit to a phone brand that might cease to exist.
    06-24-19 06:23 PM
    June 30th is the date by which they need to determine whether to transition to iOS or Android. They currently service their BB10 devices at a repair shop in Manhattan, would consider moving to BlackBerry Mobile, but requested input on the future of "BlackBerry," as they are afraid to commit to a phone brand that might cease to exist.
    It's Android so the brand really doesn't matter if OEM goes under it's really irrelevant. That being said, what could BlackBerry Mobile say that would really matter? Literally, it's like promising to do their best which really means zero for any company.
    06-24-19 06:37 PM
    It's Android so the brand really doesn't matter if OEM goes under it's really irrelevant.
    It absolutely does matter, because a brand that goes out of business can cease after-sales support immediately or any time after. If a company buys a bunch of phones, and 3 months later the manufacturer goes away (i.e., the BBMo division is closed and brand is dead), you can have a bunch of near-new phones that have no support. It won't take long before you have 3-4+ phones with no way to repair/exchange them, which forces the company to dump them en masse and replace them with something else, because a company needs REAL support - as in, advanced replacements and plenty of availability.

If they choose Samsung, LG, or Apple, they know that they'll be supported. BBMo? Who knows? That uncertainty is one of the reasons why BBMo gets nearly no enterprise sales - they simply can't provide enterprise-levels of support.
    John Albert likes this.
    06-25-19 12:38 AM
    Exactly. They are going with iOS. They love their BlackBerry Classics, but just can't take the risk. Frustrating.
    06-25-19 12:50 PM
    It absolutely does matter, because a brand that goes out of business can cease after-sales support immediately or any time after. If a company buys a bunch of phones, and 3 months later the manufacturer goes away (i.e., the BBMo division is closed and brand is dead), you can have a bunch of near-new phones that have no support. It won't take long before you have 3-4+ phones with no way to repair/exchange them, which forces the company to dump them en masse and replace them with something else, because a company needs REAL support - as in, advanced replacements and plenty of availability.

If they choose Samsung, LG, or Apple, they know that they'll be supported. BBMo? Who knows? That uncertainty is one of the reasons why BBMo gets nearly no enterprise sales - they simply can't provide enterprise-levels of support.
    I was only thinking of the Android support in general. If any corporate team is still using BB10 in 2019, which has lacked support for how long, I'm not sure how demanding their review process was before or is now.
    06-25-19 01:21 PM
    I was only thinking of the Android support in general. If any corporate team is still using BB10 in 2019, which has lacked support for how long, I'm not sure how demanding their review process was before or is now.
    For companies that only care about the features that BB10 supports natively (traditional MS Exchange functions), BB10 would still meet pretty stringent criteria IMO. It's less current than Android BlackBerry devices, but has a relatively tiny attack surface. Functionally, it's extraordinarily good at then limited number of things it does.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-25-19 01:54 PM
    For companies that only care about the features that BB10 supports natively (traditional MS Exchange functions), BB10 would still meet pretty stringent criteria IMO. It's less current than Android BlackBerry devices, but has a relatively tiny attack surface. Functionally, it's extraordinarily good at then limited number of things it does.

Tiny.... we all say that, but what do any of us really know?

US Senate picked up BB10 in 2015, and in 2016 they were phasing it out....

I think an individual that's smart would present a poor target... I think a company with drones that don't know better than to click on an unknown link in an email, aren't going to risk using BB10.

Isn't BB10 support in BlackBerry's UEM ending at the end of the year? I taught someone had posted that, but I can't find it.
    06-25-19 03:17 PM
    06-25-19 03:55 PM
    Tiny.... we all say that, but what do any of us really know?

US Senate picked up BB10 in 2015, and in 2016 they were phasing it out....

I think an individual that's smart would present a poor target... I think a company with drones that don't know better than to click on an unknown link in an email, aren't going to risk using BB10.

Isn't BB10 support in BlackBerry's UEM ending at the end of the year? I taught someone had posted that, but I can't find it.
    I'm sure it's a small number. Your compromise scenario is interesting. I am not aware of any way to compromise BB10 from an email attachment though there are almost certainly vulnerabilities associated with the BB10 browser. What's I find interesting about your scenario is the idea that a threat actor might target an organization with specific tactics because they knew it was using BB10 devices.

I assume UEM will stop supporting BB10 at the end of the year, unless someone is footing the bill for extended support.

06-25-19 03:57 PM
    A Bold-style or Classic style device - with *slightly* larger screen than Classic, maybe 4 inch screen (K2 is 4.5). And then that nice, rounded, classic-looking BlackBerry format. I think that would be enticing for hard-core and business users. Maybe BBMO could keep pricing to $600, upgrade the camera, and otherwise keep the experience similar albeit with chip and RAM upgrades.
    06-25-19 08:30 PM
    All about that form factor, and the branding / identity that goes with it....echoing a couple users here especially @bb10adopter I do wish the BlackBerry android app suite was a little... better. For lack of a more exact word. It's just not quite as business-friendly AND user friendly somehow as it could be. One small example - BlackBerry Calendar - Why in the world can't I have a user account not tied to my email - and also an email account?
    06-25-19 08:35 PM
    A Bold-style or Classic style device - with *slightly* larger screen than Classic, maybe 4 inch screen (K2 is 4.5). And then that nice, rounded, classic-looking BlackBerry format. I think that would be enticing for hard-core and business users. Maybe BBMO could keep pricing to $600, upgrade the camera, and otherwise keep the experience similar albeit with chip and RAM upgrades.
    I doubt we'll ever get a smaller Berry when the world wants bigger screens, but I'm all for the rounded Classic/Bold style corners
    06-25-19 08:45 PM
    IMO larger display is a must to stay relevant.

Either remove swipe keyboard or make it work flawlessly.

Better chipset for better camera performance.
    06-25-19 09:52 PM
    I want the Left Shift and Alt buttons reversed! On a standard n keyboard the Alt is below the shift and reversing them on the Key2 drvies my brain crazy.... (and i type symbols instead of caps!)
    the_boon likes this.
    06-26-19 09:51 AM
    Maybe I'm the loan wolf here, but coming from a Blackberry Passport to the KEY2, does anyone else think the KEY2's vibration function is far too weak? It's barely noticeable in my pocket, where as my passport was very noticeable and strong. If they KEY3 could be made to have a strong vibration motor, then that would be better.
    06-26-19 10:26 AM
    Maybe I'm the loan wolf here, but coming from a Blackberry Passport to the KEY2, does anyone else think the KEY2's vibration function is far too weak? It's barely noticeable in my pocket, where as my passport was very noticeable and strong. If they KEY3 could be made to have a strong vibration motor, then that would be better.
    KEY2 vibration is better than KEYone, but the LE is far better than both of them
    06-26-19 10:45 AM
    KEY2 vibration is better than KEYone, but the LE is far better than both of them
    My K1 had a stronger vibration than my K2 SE. I find the K2 a little weak in this area.
    06-26-19 10:57 AM
    I like Q10 size and weight very much.But trackpad like as Classic is absolutely needed for my use.But Classic is too heavy and big.
    So I have no wish to use Key1,2 those are bigger and heavier than Classic.
    I wish if key3 will meet to my use.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-19 01:27 AM
    I reckon Key3 should grow side ways.

My preference would be form factor close to BlackBerry Passport. I'm happy with 1:1 aspect ratio if Android can handle it.
    10-03-19 03:57 AM
    pkb (identical to k2) + better processor + 6gb RAM + 128 gb minimum ROM + IP rating
    10-03-19 08:00 AM
246 ... 8910