Have to say I would be surprised and sad to see BBMo stop making PKB phones. I have returned to the fold recently after not owning a BB since OS7 days and I have to say I'm very impressed by the build quality and speed of my Key2. Have sales really been that bad? I mean I know it's a niche market but seems like Key2 is a great phone in a lot of ways - if they can't satisfy the niche with that, I don't think they'll ever satisfy it.
    I hope BBMo keeps going, too. But like any other business, they're in it to make a profit. If that's not happening, we can't expect them to stick around just to keep the niche happy.
    05-20-19 07:29 AM
    I don't understand why people are so confused about the availability of the Red KEY2. BBMo has been very consistent t in selling/delivering batches of phones to carriers and resellers based on very conservative sales estimates. That's why they constantly stock out. I don't think we'll see this change anytime soon.

In the case of the Red KEY2, lots of people posted that they thought it was too expensive, and we're told by many of us that it was going to be a limited run and would soon sells out. Nothing unexpected has happened.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-20-19 07:37 AM
    I hope BBMo keeps going, too. But like any other business, they're in it to make a profit. If that's not happening, we can't expect them to stick around just to keep the niche happy.
    Oh, of course. I'm just surprised that Key2 has been the one to kill it off. In my opinion it is the best and most marketable blackberry for years. It brought me back and I haven't bought a BB device since the Bold 9790!

If the Q10 and KeyOne sold well enough to get a sequel, I don't see why the Key2 would sell even worse, considering it's a better device and looks very stylish.
    05-20-19 07:42 AM
    I don't understand why people are so confused about the availability of the Red KEY2. BBMo has been very consistent t in selling/delivering batches of phones to carriers and resellers based on very conservative sales estimates. That's why they constantly stock out. I don't think we'll see this change anytime soon.

In the case of the Red KEY2, lots of people posted that they thought it was too expensive, and we're told by many of us that it was going to be a limited run and would soon sells out. Nothing unexpected has happened.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    I totally agree with both your points.
    They are attempting to build this slowly. We can’t expect them to overproduce and be left with stock they can’t sell. If that happens we’ll have something else to complain about.
    jmorgan456 likes this.
    05-20-19 07:42 AM
    If my memory serves me correctly Amazon doesn't deduct the money until the phone is shipped or it's in stock to be shipped. As long as that is the situation Amazon really isn't obligated to fill the order. No phone, no $ spent.
    That's the way it normally works, yes. I read it that way initially but then wondered if perhaps something had gone awry and someone in fraud needed a heads-up.
    05-20-19 12:54 PM
    That's the way it normally works, yes. I read it that way initially but then wondered if perhaps something had gone awry and someone in fraud needed a heads-up.
    You should call Amazon customer service and verify.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-20-19 01:17 PM
    That's right, they will only charge my card when it ships. What I've been interested in hearing is what folks on here think is going on with Amazon & TCL behind the scenes and whether "ships in 1 or 2 months" means they actually expect to receive another production run.
    05-20-19 02:18 PM
    It looks like BlackBerry to is getting out of the Bussiness not TCL and I can understand that from a Bussiness point of view. I am not worried with what's happening at all.
    THAT is no shill imho...
    05-20-19 03:43 PM
    I am pretty sure this might represent some of us BlackBerry Enthusiasts!!! Is the writing on the Wall?!?-0_kqguznvka7emx0st.jpeg
    05-20-19 04:52 PM
    There is only the Android System Webview option. Besides, switching it shouldn't be needed in the first place.
    Which Android OS version are you using? Which version of Android System WebView?
    05-21-19 05:09 PM
    I am waiting to see if and when they release new devices this year that will give us a good idea of what the future is for blackberry devices. I hope keyboard devices continue and also make a nice slab device. There are still tons of people who enjoy blackberry devices but they need to up the specs and camera IMO.
    05-22-19 12:40 PM
    I am waiting to see if and when they release new devices this year that will give us a good idea of what the future is for blackberry devices. I hope keyboard devices continue and also make a nice slab device. There are still tons of people who enjoy blackberry devices but they need to up the specs and camera IMO.
    A 660 SoC with 6GB of ram and 64/128GB of storage is a beast. No boost needed there.

The camera may be a bit problematic though, as only the top OEMs have the really good software.
    05-22-19 12:42 PM
    A 660 SoC with 6GB of ram and 64/128GB of storage is a beast. No boost needed there.

The camera may be a bit problematic though, as only the top OEMs have the really good software.
    660 SoC might be fine for many users needs, but I think the image issue has as much to do with that part of the chip as the software does. Do any midgrade phones get great camera reviews? Around the time the KEY2 launched the top three or four other SD660 phones had poorly rated cameras too...

I think many here would enjoy a flagship KEY device with a SD8XX SoC along with all the other things that a premium phone would have - AMOLED Display, Water Proofing, Wireless Charging, Good Camera with OIS, Stero HD Speakers.... but at $1,200 the viability of it is questionable.
    05-22-19 01:38 PM

I really don't mind if they're going to use the old cpu socket but you can't charge premium price tag for 2-3 years old same cpu socket.
    05-22-19 01:47 PM
    I really don't mind if they're going to use the old cpu socket but you can't charge premium price tag for 2-3 years old same cpu socket.
    The 660 was new when the KEY² came out. The successor (670) wasn't even announced until Aug 2018.

The price is the price. It's expensive to build a boutique-quantity of custom phones.
    05-22-19 02:05 PM
    660 SoC might be fine for many users needs, but I think the image issue has as much to do with that part of the chip as the software does.
    The 660 had all the latest camera hardware as of early last year - Hexagon DSP and Spectra ISP.
    05-22-19 02:09 PM
    The 660 was new when the KEY² came out. The successor (670) wasn't even announced until Aug 2018.

The price is the price. It's expensive to build a boutique-quantity of custom phones.
    OPPO R11 is the first smartphone with snapdragon 660 and it was released back in June 2017. My point is that if key3 is going to have snapdragon 660, it should be priced like Google pixel 3A.
    05-22-19 02:10 PM
    OPPO R11 is the first smartphone with snapdragon 660 and it was released back in June 2017. My point is that if key3 is going to have snapdragon 660, it should be priced like Google pixel 3A.
    Sure, but the 670 didn't appear until AFTER the KEY², so the 660 was still the newest 600 series SoC available on the planet.

As far as the BBJ100 is concerned, we don't know much - including whether it will even exist or not. So let's not get ahead of ourselves and start speculating on its SoC.
    05-22-19 02:14 PM
    You are all attempting to extrapolate from a data set that is insufficient. Virtually this entire thread is speculation at best. I might suggest there is much here worse than speculation and more like intentional trolling.

That said, there is little TCL has done that is surprising. They are doing more or less what is to be expected of a niche device manufacturer.

Beyond that, we know little or nothing.
    05-22-19 02:28 PM
    You are all attempting to extrapolate from a data set that is insufficient. Virtually this entire thread is speculation at best. I might suggest there is much here worse than speculation and more like intentional trolling.

That said, there is little TCL has done that is surprising. They are doing more or less what is to be expected of a niche device manufacturer.

But if we stick with those parameters, we’d still be on page 1 and four posts. This is CB entertainment at it's ........ finest, no, scratch that, expected level.
    TgeekB and the_boon like this.
    05-22-19 02:38 PM
    we know little or nothing.
    Why do we know little or nothing? (because they have no Public Relations?)

Should there be any confusion about software patch cycles for their introductory product? (guess it was always clear... just 2 years)
    Should not there be some interest in when they will provide the latest software upgrade for their latest products? (sure same as last year - summer, but at this point an OEM usual has said something or shown signs of working on it)
    Should there be any question on when or what the next device will be? (they did say something would come.... later)
    Should not the absences of key figures that once promoted a program be a concern? (people come an go... mobility division isn't as big as they had hoped)
    Should not the ending of only a few device apps be of some concern? (they are kinda redundant on new versions of Android - and KEYone is EO? anyway)
    Should not the stock shortages be of any concern? (hard to gauge demand for year old products)
    Should not the decline of the other two partners in the licensing program be of some concern? (gives BBMo a bigger market if they want it)

In the end, the program is being cut back by both TCL and BlackBerry Ltd - that is very clear. How far each is going is just speculation, but without either commenting... what else is there?

But yes 100% most is just speculation based on some interconnected observations - that may or may not mean anything.
    05-22-19 03:27 PM
    Absence of proof is never proof of absence.

I am content with the silence. I will judge exclusively on actions. I submit that is the only way to make judgments in this context. I will neither assume all is lost, nor will I assume anything positive. I will accept what will be and leave it at that.

I will also suggest that trolls are hindering the discussion and to the extent it is possible, they are further tarnishing the brand.
    There is clearly not unicorns and rainbows on the horizon. But equally clearly all is not lost and the constant handwriting is off putting.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    05-22-19 03:35 PM

It’s a fan forum. What do you want people to do besides speculate, especially with a niche platform?
    The trolling comments are unnecessary.
    05-22-19 04:14 PM
    Wait there was a lot as still.. Let me wrap my head around that first.
    05-22-19 04:46 PM
    Absence of proof is never proof of absence.

I am content with the silence. I will judge exclusively on actions. I submit that is the only way to make judgments in this context. I will neither assume all is lost, nor will I assume anything positive. I will accept what will be and leave it at that.

I will also suggest that trolls are hindering the discussion and to the extent it is possible, they are further tarnishing the brand.
    There is clearly not unicorns and rainbows on the horizon. But equally clearly all is not lost and the constant handwriting is off putting.
    Specifically, what do you consider troll comments versus people expressing valid different perspectives or viewpoints?
    05-22-19 07:55 PM
609 ... 22232425