Looking at the Galaxy Fold. And seeing the front of the phone having a small display.. Kinda thought we can have the KEY2 design that opens up to be an all touch tablet! Best of both worlds. Hope the BlackBerry Gods hear me.
    Lukasz Wojcieszak likes this.
    02-25-19 01:31 PM
    Looking at the Galaxy Fold. And seeing the front of the phone having a small display.. Kinda thought we can have the KEY2 design that opens up to be an all touch tablet! Best of both worlds. Hope the BlackBerry Gods hear me.
    Samsung sells premium phones... not sure even they can sell a lot of $2,000 USD phones. Huawei's Mate X is over $2,500 USD

BBMo isn't in the real premium phone business.... do you really think they'd have a lot of buyers for a KEYFold at those price points?
    Vistaus likes this.
    02-25-19 01:47 PM
    Samsung sells premium phones... not sure even they can sell a lot of $2,000 USD phones. Huawei's Mate X is over $2,500 USD

BBMo isn't in the real premium phone business.... do you really think they'd have a lot of buyers for a KEYFold at those price points?
    Even so: I wouldn't want it, unless the keyboard would be in landscape mode like on the Cosmo Communicator 'cause then it would fold open to a big screen and has a properly placed keyboard, essentially making it a laptop. But still, not at that price point; €999 max.
    02-25-19 01:50 PM
    Yep, I do think it's a great way forward to combine the 2 form factors.
    02-25-19 01:51 PM
    Even so: I wouldn't want it, unless the keyboard would be in landscape mode like on the Cosmo Communicator 'cause then it would fold open to a big screen and has a properly placed keyboard, essentially making it a laptop. But still, not at that price point; €999 max.
    I strongly doubt that you will ever see a BB-branded phone with a landscape keyboard, period. And if you think about it, a PKB doesn't make much sense with a folding phone.

It seems clear that TCL is content with the Key-series form factor, as it has the broadest appeal to the already limited and contrarian smartphone market.
    02-25-19 05:31 PM
    I strongly doubt that you will ever see a BB-branded phone with a landscape keyboard, period.
    I never said they'd go for that, I was just expanding the idea mentioned. Period.
    02-25-19 05:39 PM
    Let them first get OLED's, IP rating, OIS, dual speakers...
    Bob80220 and hammer40 like this.
    02-26-19 02:10 PM
    Let them first get OLED's, IP rating, OIS, dual speakers...
    Let them first achieve the Key3 ..... full stop
    Vistaus and RK_BB like this.
    02-26-19 02:16 PM
    I strongly doubt that you will ever see a BB-branded phone with a landscape keyboard, period. And if you think about it, a PKB doesn't make much sense with a folding phone.

It seems clear that TCL is content with the Key-series form factor, as it has the broadest appeal to the already limited and contrarian smartphone market.
    Problem is... some are so contrarian they won't give up on the niche device they own now, to support the future. Was the case with the move to BB10 and now with the move to BB Android.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-26-19 02:31 PM
    Problem is... some are so contrarian they won't give up on the niche device they own now, to support the future. Was the case with the move to BB10 and now with the move to BB Android.
    If I bought two KEY2's (one brand new, the other open box) from Clove UK back in August/September and then sold them, did I help the brand technically ?
    02-26-19 03:07 PM
    If I bought two KEY2's (one brand new, the other open box) from Clove UK back in August/September and then sold them, did I help the brand technically ?
    You sure helped Clove UK.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    02-26-19 03:20 PM
    You sure helped Clove UK.
    I guess buying directly from BBMo's website would help them most.
    02-26-19 05:07 PM
    Exactly.
    02-26-19 05:18 PM
    Buying from a carrier would help them the most since it would encourage carrier support.
    02-26-19 06:46 PM
    Actually buy from carrier would help them most....
    02-26-19 06:46 PM
    Actually buy from carrier would help them most....
    Right, IF there were ANY carriers actively selling them.
    Vistaus likes this.
    02-26-19 09:21 PM
    Right, IF there were ANY carriers actively selling them.
    In other countries..... here I’m still hoping VZW follows through on business side like announced
    02-26-19 09:48 PM
    In other countries..... here I’m still hoping VZW follows through on business side like announced
    Maybe Verizon is waiting on what one would assume should be soon to be release PIE update. That way their support doesn't have to deal with training on OREO and then later on PIE for the KEY2 LE....

Or maybe enterprise sales already has it... and it's invisible to consumers and regular business users.
    02-27-19 09:08 AM
    Buying from a carrier would help them the most since it would encourage carrier support.
    But a chunk of money ends up in carriers pockets instead of TCL's pockets. Good luck to your carrier support if TCL doesn't make enough money to continue making BlackBerry's...
    02-27-19 12:10 PM
    But a chunk of money ends up in carriers pockets instead of TCL's pockets. Good luck to your carrier support if TCL doesn't make enough money to continue making BlackBerry's...
    But TCL model they’ve chosen depends on carrier support. TCL knows this and built their support model lean expecting carriers to move devices and TCL earns better NET profit margins. Think of TCL wholesaling to carriers in exchange carriers providing customer support infrastructure.
    02-27-19 12:53 PM
    But TCL model they’ve chosen depends on carrier support. TCL knows this and built their support model lean expecting carriers to move devices and TCL earns better NET profit margins. Think of TCL wholesaling to carriers in exchange carriers providing customer support infrastructure.
    What TCL wanted is what they got in Canada... devices in showrooms where "normal" people would see them, and buy them. Some of BBMo first comments about US Carriers was they had all four of them on board.... sadly something happened.

Apple could easily move to a direct to consumer model, but even they see the advantages of carrier support.
    02-27-19 01:36 PM
    But TCL model they’ve chosen depends on carrier support.
    Apple could easily move to a direct to consumer model, but even they see the advantages of carrier support.
    Furthermore, without carrier support there is hardly any hope for real adoption by fleet buyers.
    02-27-19 02:04 PM
    Furthermore, without carrier support there is hardly any hope for real adoption by fleet buyers.
    And that's the thing... BBMo said over half their sales in the US were business users. I don't think Verizon agreed to picking up the KEY2 LE just on a whim.
    02-27-19 02:25 PM
    I don't see any carrier support for the OnePlus in my country, yet it's among the most sold phones, so there are exceptions to your argument ;-)
    02-27-19 02:30 PM
    I don't see any carrier support for the OnePlus in my country, yet it's among the most sold phones, so there are exceptions to your argument ;-)
    T-Mobile here started selling it... which boosted OnePlus sales by 249%. But US market isn't very big on unlocked smartphones (right now). Clearly carrier support helped OnePlus. which in turn I'm sure brought T-Mobile a few new customers.... You can bet that AT&T and Verizon have taken note of OnePlus sales.

For BBMo, they are selling security and pkbs.. those have little appeal to consumers, but a something that enterprise might be interested in. Enterprise buys through carriers, so here carrier support was VERY necessary.
    02-27-19 02:53 PM