I'm an old Outlook user. Q10 sync's to Outlook. If I make the move, will I still be able to do this? I dont intend to setup Google account!
    07-06-18 09:38 PM
    It will sync directly with any mail service you use. Not with outlook specifically.
    07-06-18 11:17 PM
    The hub syncs perfectly with Office365 and Outlook.com.

However, a Google account is required to download apps through the play store.
    moeah likes this.
    07-06-18 11:20 PM
    I'm an old Outlook user. Q10 sync's to Outlook. If I make the move, will I still be able to do this? I dont intend to setup Google account!
    I don't see why one would want an Android device without a properly enabled google account. If you're paranoid about your data and don't need apps, then maybe stick to BB10? Or perhaps don't own a smartphone at all for the former; your data is never safe. Sorry, I'm just making assumptions, but most people that don't want a google account are concerned about their data. I will never understand.
    07-06-18 11:33 PM
    I don't see why one would want an Android device without a properly enabled google account. If you're paranoid about your data and don't need apps, then maybe stick to BB10? Or perhaps don't own a smartphone at all for the former; your data is never safe. Sorry, I'm just making assumptions, but most people that don't want a google account are concerned about their data. I will never understand.
    Just make a backup Google account that you only use on the phone.
    07-07-18 04:11 AM
    There is an Outlook android app by MS. I don't like it and much prefer the BlackBerry Hub for exchange accounts. Incidentally, MS has many great android apps. Word, Excel, Onenote and so on. The work quite well. Better on android then the Windows 10 phone I had ironically
    07-07-18 06:35 AM
    It will sync directly with any mail service you use. Not with outlook specifically.
    Yes, sorry I forgot to say for contacts and calendar.
    07-07-18 06:43 AM
    Thanks
    07-07-18 06:43 AM
    Because they dont make a BB device with their own BB software and a keyboard.
    07-07-18 06:45 AM
    Thanks for the information.
    07-07-18 06:46 AM
    Some people use their Smartphones for work and as a result need to sync to Outlook since that's what most of the business world uses. Having synced to Outlook means that anything related to Outlook gets backed up on the Outlook server. Having a Google account is really quite beside the point and simply might not be needed.

..Tom
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    07-07-18 09:12 AM
    I guess some people don't read the EULA from all these cloud storage solutions. There is no privacy in the cloud and I am not a "A List wanna be" that feels they need the whole world knowing what they are doing when they are doing it.
    Linlithgow0 likes this.
    09-05-18 10:29 PM
    With all this said, I'm now sorry I spent this much on a "more secure" phone only to find out they ruin the security by only syncing with Internet or Cloud accounts. If I wanted to sync with Internet or Cloud accounts I could have bought any of the phones available and paid a much lower price. What a bunch of BS!
    09-05-18 10:37 PM
    Yes, sorry I forgot to say for contacts and calendar.
    So, I use Office 365 (and the Outlook inside of that). I use a laptop and do all my work on my laptop, access Office 365, etc. That Outlook has all of my contacts, and my calendar. I have a gmail account/email address. I rarely use it, keep no contacts there, don't use their calendar, etc. So, it's just an email address and it's rarely used.

So I get a Key2, my main email from Office 365/Outlook is "synced" with Key2...why does my rarely used gmail email address have to have anything to do with my Key2? I don't want to complicate things. Thank you in advance.
    09-06-18 07:50 AM
    I re-read this thread and see the OP was talking about desktop Outlook (not web-based, inside Office 365)...so...I apologize if I took this off-topic, thread-jacked, etc.
    ThinkReferrals likes this.
    09-06-18 07:53 AM
    There is no desktop Outlook sync natively available for Android. BlackBerry originally developed it as a workaround in the BBOS days for now ancient POP email. Modern email standards like ActiveSync have made mail client to handset syncs unnecessary. Even newer versions of Office have made the sync feature less reliable for some of the diehards here because it's not considered as a priority feature anymore.

You'll need a Google account to be able to access the Play Store and Google services, but that doesn't mean that you need to use the account for anything other than that. I have one, but I haven't actively checked my Gmail inbox in probably two years as I don't give the email out and I don't even have it set up on my Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    09-07-18 05:44 AM
    With all this said, I'm now sorry I spent this much on a "more secure" phone only to find out they ruin the security by only syncing with Internet or Cloud accounts. If I wanted to sync with Internet or Cloud accounts I could have bought any of the phones available and paid a much lower price. What a bunch of BS!
    So what email provider do you use? Unless you're managing your own email server, it's always been a 'cloud' service since your email lives on a server under someone else's control and maintenance.

Posted via CB10
    hamilgs likes this.
    09-07-18 05:48 AM
    Thanks
    09-07-18 08:11 AM
    So what email provider do you use? Unless you're managing your own email server, it's always been a 'cloud' service since your email lives on a server under someone else's control and maintenance.

Posted via CB10
    The OP was asking about contacts and calendar direct syncing, not email accounts. I have the same questions, in my case it is because people in business in Canada will have issues with syncing and backing up via Google servers because everything is stored on servers outside of Canada and there are privacy issues that restrict any data leaving the country when certain sensitive business information is involved. I still have my Passport because my Calendar and contacts and backup sync with my PC directly via the HUB, I would already have a Key2 if those features were confirmed but getting any actual answers to those questions seem extremely difficult, the Blackberry security side keeps people asking the questions, but if Blackberry security is made pointless by having to use Google servers, there is no point spending nearly $1000 on a Blackberry Android phone when iPhone has addressed those concerns by providing servers in Canada. FYI, I have my own email server and it is in a Canadian location. Anyone with a web page can host their own email server and Canadians that are following security rules, have their websites on Canadian servers.
    09-15-18 09:13 PM
    So , if you use desktop Outlook...you cannot sync that up and get/read/send emails on the BB Key2? Is it more of the "push" type of situation? Thanks.
    09-15-18 09:59 PM
    download the outlook app from the app store. I use outlook and the hub. but prefer the outlook app over the hub. the e-mails com on real time with the outlook app.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    09-15-18 11:10 PM
    The OP was asking about contacts and calendar direct syncing, not email accounts. I have the same questions, in my case it is because people in business in Canada will have issues with syncing and backing up via Google servers because everything is stored on servers outside of Canada and there are privacy issues that restrict any data leaving the country when certain sensitive business information is involved. I still have my Passport because my Calendar and contacts and backup sync with my PC directly via the HUB, I would already have a Key2 if those features were confirmed but getting any actual answers to those questions seem extremely difficult, the Blackberry security side keeps people asking the questions, but if Blackberry security is made pointless by having to use Google servers, there is no point spending nearly $1000 on a Blackberry Android phone when iPhone has addressed those concerns by providing servers in Canada. FYI, I have my own email server and it is in a Canadian location. Anyone with a web page can host their own email server and Canadians that are following security rules, have their websites on Canadian servers.
    The same server that hosts your website and emails can also host your own cloud, contacts, and calendar. You would need to install an app (like own OwnCloud) on the server, and then client apps on your phones and PCs. WebDav (for cloud), CalDav (calendar), and CardDav (contacts) gets them talking together.

It takes only a little bit of research and not much work to setup, and voila! your data stays within Canada.
    09-16-18 10:00 AM
    The same server that hosts your website and emails can also host your own cloud, contacts, and calendar. You would need to install an app (like own OwnCloud) on the server, and then client apps on your phones and PCs. WebDav (for cloud), CalDav (calendar), and CardDav (contacts) gets them talking together.

It takes only a little bit of research and not much work to setup, and voila! your data stays within Canada.
    Thanks, have been working on that to see what can sync. If I can make Caldev sync with local Outlook direct to Desktop, this may just work.
    09-16-18 10:43 AM
    I'm almost afraid to wander into this confusing thread, but I'll take a chance.

I haven't tried it, but I've considered Companion LInk software to sync with desktop Outlook. The OP might want to look at the Cloud-Free Sync (USB, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth for HIPAA Compliant Privacy) option from https://www.companionlink.com/android/ to keep all your data on your computer.

I hit enter too soon. This link might be more useful with the Key2; https://www.companionlink.com/blackb...droid/outlook/

Good luck.
    Last edited by Wandering_Sumo; 09-16-18 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Found a more useful link
    ThinkReferrals likes this.
    09-16-18 12:11 PM
    I'm almost afraid to wander into this confusing thread, but I'll take a chance.

I haven't tried it, but I've considered Companion LInk software to sync with desktop Outlook. The OP might want to look at the Cloud-Free Sync (USB, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth for HIPAA Compliant Privacy) option from https://www.companionlink.com/android/ to keep all your data on your computer.

I hit enter too soon. This link might be more useful with the Key2; https://www.companionlink.com/blackb...droid/outlook/

Good luck.
    I was just on that site reading up on it when you posted. This looks promising. And yes, this all has to do with HIPAA privacy compliance, for me anyway. I have been testing BBHub and other BB apps on a Nexus tablet, most seem to work, now all I need is Cloud-free sync and we are golden Thanks for wading in on the conversation.
    09-16-18 01:52 PM
40 12