July 23rd, 2021
    So noted.
    10-29-20 12:54 PM
    So noted.
    How funny would it be if it comes out then lol
    10-29-20 05:37 PM
    How funny would it be if it comes out then lol
    10-29-20 05:59 PM
    [IMG=833x1024]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201029/ffebc6ad456f3fd0296afbfe5417cea9.jpg[/url]
    Hahahahahahahahahah I literally burst out lol
    10-29-20 06:21 PM
    They are releasing a phone lol
    No, they plan to release one. Until it hits shelves, it's not released.
    10-30-20 08:59 AM
    No, they plan to release one. Until it hits shelves, it's not released.
    It's like I'm planning to retire at 65.... lots of things could change that. Health, status of my 401K, real estate values, ending of the world.....

I'm sure their contracts with BlackBerry and FIH are conditional. It was a step needed to allow Onward to proceed with other stages of their plans.
    Trouveur likes this.
    10-30-20 09:20 AM
    Alright I get it lol
    10-30-20 09:30 AM
    Alright I get it lol
    But we're having too much fun...…
    anon(10710536) likes this.
    10-30-20 12:45 PM
    The chance of this new Blackberry actually making it to market are 50/50 in my opinion. They are probably doing their research right now to see how viable it is.

TCL was a huge corporation with huge resources, exceptional engineering capabilities and deep pockets. Even with close collaboration with Blackberry Limited, and after several device releases, they couldn't make a go of it.

Why would anyone have faith that a small startup with no track record can suceed where TCL and Blackberry Limited failed?

What can they really offer? Security? Keyboard? Better camera?

Come on man! LOL
    ClassyLass007 likes this.
    11-01-20 02:19 PM
    The chance of this new Blackberry actually making it to market are 50/50 in my opinion. They are probably doing their research right now to see how viable it is.

TCL was a huge corporation with huge resources, exceptional engineering capabilities and deep pockets. Even with close collaboration with Blackberry Limited, and after several device releases, they couldn't make a go of it.

Why would anyone have faith that a small startup with no track record can suceed where TCL and Blackberry Limited failed?

What can they really offer? Security? Keyboard? Better camera?

Come on man! LOL
    Sure, TCL is a huge corp and all, but did they really four their heart and soul into the BBMO project?

Not sure why they would do research on the viability of it after announcing the device in August?
    11-01-20 06:46 PM
    Sure, TCL is a huge corp and all, but did they really pour their heart and soul into the BBMO project?
    Since the brand wasn't theirs, it really wouldn't have made sense. That's like spending money on renovations when you're merely renting where you live.

Not sure why they would do research on the viability of it after announcing the device in August?
    Remember all those "negative" questions I asked in the beginning about OM and it's economic viability? Press releases are cheap when compared to rest of the process. There's still plenty of time for cutting bait and moving onto different ideas. That's what Essential did after the PH-1 failed.
    11-01-20 07:04 PM
    It's called vaporware and it happens all the time. I remember when Palm announced the Foleo... and then just backed out. We all remember BB10 for the PlayBook...

I hope that OM can make a go of it, I really do, but if this new BlackBerry is to succeed, it has to be AMAZING. The KEY2 was a great product... and it failed with the same marketing of a physical keyboard and security....

If this thing is going to launch in Q1 2021, we should be seeing some indication soon....
    11-02-20 06:12 AM
    ...We all remember BB10 for the PlayBook...
    What? That's not still coming?

Jokes aside and I guess maybe off topic, but I'd love to llne able to load my Playbook with some of those supposedly developmental/expirimental BB10 PlaybookOS versions that BlackBerry wasn't willing to release.
    11-02-20 06:25 AM
    What? That's not still coming?

Jokes aside and I guess maybe off topic, but I'd love to llne able to load my Playbook with some of those supposedly developmental/expirimental BB10 PlaybookOS versions that BlackBerry wasn't willing to release.
    Even if they had dropped most the communications aspects from the PlayBook and made it dependent on a BB10 phone va Bridge.... still would have been better than being suck on PBOS.
    11-02-20 07:32 AM
    The KEY2 was a great product... and it failed with the same marketing of a physical keyboard and security...
    I don't think the failure of the KEY2 is only due to the physical keyboard, but also the high price compared to the specs, and underwhelming camera and display.
    11-02-20 08:16 AM
    I don't think the failure of the KEY2 is only due to the physical keyboard, but also the high price compared to the specs, and underwhelming camera and display.
    BINGO...the price for this device was beyond ridiculous at launch..regardless they could have priced it at 200 bux and it still would have failed...it's not a premium device ..not even close
    11-02-20 08:18 AM
    Better hold onto your hat then.
    11-02-20 08:26 AM
    Better hold onto your hat then.
    If it sold that much worse than the KEYone, there's gotta be a reason.
    An extra benjamin on that MSRP couldn't have helped. Also the worse camera and very outdated looking display either.
    11-02-20 08:28 AM
    If it sold that much worse than the KEYone, there's gotta be a reason.
    An extra benjamin on that MSRP couldn't have helped. Also the worse camera and very outdated looking display either.
    The KEY² / KEY² LE line sold worse because less than half of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ users were willing to upgrade so quickly. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ pretty much grabbed the entire keyboard market.
    Grungni and anon(10710536) like this.
    11-02-20 08:29 AM
    The KEY² / KEY² LE line sold worse because less than half of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ users were willing to upgrade so quickly. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ pretty much grabbed the entire keyboard market.
    My thoughts exactly... There are only enough keyboard fans to support device sales timed for release at the end of the previous products life which would maximise sales in my opinion...
    anon(10710536) likes this.
    11-02-20 08:40 AM
    My thoughts exactly... There are only enough keyboard fans to support device sales timed for release at the end of the previous products life which would maximise sales in my opinion...
    Problem is it's always a declining number of users willing to make the sacrifices required each time....

I don't know what kind of pricing or sacrifices Onward will bring... but I suspect many will be missing the good old day of BBMo.

In the end yeah the KEY2 would have done better if they had waited a year to release it. Might should have slipped something "different" (Slider, tiny phone, huge phone) between the KEYone and KEY2. But it cost money to keep BBMo going, and I doubt KEYone sales were really where they needed them to be. Those "in-between" devices would never have been able to carry any real revenue load.
    11-02-20 09:19 AM
    If that's true, maybe Onward will have extended release cycles.
    11-02-20 09:37 AM
    Plus subscription fees to maintain revenues.
    11-02-20 09:39 AM
    Plus subscription fees to maintain revenues.
    Also, maybe their overhead isn't nearly the same as what TCL's was.
    11-02-20 09:42 AM
    Tough to have a viable business model with ongoing support.... without ongoing sales.

If the market is big enough for other PKB models (Key, Bold, Curve, Priv, Passport).... sure cycle through several before revisiting each on say a two or three year cycle. But I think the issue is there isn't enough PKB lovers, willing to make the sacrifices that an Onward device will present.
    11-02-20 09:59 AM
53 123