I believe it's on by default. Whether it works better on or off obviously depends on the situation. My point is people may want to brush up on their facts before getting into debates about missing features. LOL.
    07-16-18 10:57 AM
    I believe it's on by default. Whether it works better on or off obviously depends on the situation. My point is people may want to brush up on their facts before getting into debates about missing features. LOL.
    OIS and EIS are different....

That the KEY2 has a form of EIS, probable doesn't change that the OP is looking for OIS.
    Qorax and skrble like this.
    07-16-18 11:20 AM
    OIS and EIS are different...
    Care to elaborate?
    07-16-18 11:21 AM
    Care to elaborate?

LMGTFY I don't think I've bought a camera in 10 years, but it was a pretty common difference back then.

Most of your more expensive DSLR bodies and even some lenses would have OIS. Even higher end P&S cameras would have OIS, EIS was for the budget devices...

I'm sure software has greatly improved, making EIS more valuable... but then it also depends on who's software it is and how well they have optimized it.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 07-16-18 at 11:46 AM.
    07-16-18 11:35 AM
    LMGTFY I don't think I've bought a camera in 10 years, but it was a pretty common difference back then.

Most of your more expensive DSLR bodies and even some lenses would have OIS. Even higher end P&S cameras would have OIS, EIS was for the budget devices...

I'm sure software has greatly improved, making EIS more valuable... but then it also depends on who's software it is and how well they have optimized it.
    Thanks for the Google search. Since you don't own one, maybe you can find the actual Key1/Key2 camera menu and features if you search hard enough?

Going back to OP's original post - the question was about OIS and whether other improvements were available. Well, Key2 has enhanced VIDEO stabilization available. Unfortunately no one even bothered to mention it, which is why I brought it up. Reading through this thread one would think TCL had given it no consideration at all. And of course, your regular bashing of TCL's quality is par for the course.

Not that anyone shouldn't take serious opinions based on ten year old comparisons of OIS versus EIS on SLR cameras (not enhanced video stabilization on a BlackBerry in 2018, which no one here seems to know ANYTHING about whatsoever) but I digress...
    07-16-18 12:21 PM
    All I can say is that if your desire is to take videos, why are you looking at BlackBerry. It's not being designed nor sold as a media phone.
    I only use BlackBerry. I feel as though we always have to make one big concession with each phone (post android/iphone). I just don't understand why they would have a nice camera and omit something like OIS which would make the phone perfect. It's something that a lot of people would have appreciated. And that's the thing, I would love to take pics and videos with my BlackBerry with no issues. It's not the main reason I purchased the phone, but it would complete my experience. I'm sure not have OIS was a decision made for a reason and I just wanted some insight.
    07-17-18 07:42 AM
    I only use BlackBerry. I feel as though we always have to make one big concession with each phone (post android/iphone). I just don't understand why they would have a nice camera and omit something like OIS which would make the phone perfect. It's something that a lot of people would have appreciated. And that's the thing, I would love to take pics and videos with my BlackBerry with no issues. It's not the main reason I purchased the phone, but it would complete my experience. I'm sure not have OIS was a decision made for a reason and I just wanted some insight.
    There are plenty of OEMs that have good cameras that don't have OIS.... hoping that software updates will greatly improve KEY2 users experience.
    07-17-18 08:17 AM
    There are plenty of OEMs that have good cameras that don't have OIS.... hoping that software updates will greatly improve KEY2 users experience.
    I hope so. But some artifacts on the pictures and low pixel-precision (I don't know how to translate it well in english !) make me think more about a low-quality lens, more than the sensor itself and/or post-processing
    07-17-18 08:43 AM
    Don’t expect to much in camera software optimization if it comes from blackberry. They just dont have resource and experience with it.
    08-06-18 08:47 PM
    Don’t expect to much in camera software optimization if it comes from blackberry. They just dont have resource and experience with it.
    The camera and camera app is by TCL.
    08-06-18 09:06 PM
    The camera and camera app is by TCL.
    than it could be more less
    08-07-18 01:22 AM
    I hope so. But some artifacts on the pictures and low pixel-precision (I don't know how to translate it well in english !) make me think more about a low-quality lens, more than the sensor itself and/or post-processing
    The one thing BlackBerry has taught me.... buy a product based on what it does now, not what they promise or you hope it will do in the future.

Maybe it's software and maybe they will fix it.

Maybe it's software and maybe they won't fully fix it.

Maybe it's hardware and they can't fix it. (lenses, processing, cheap cabling.....)
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-07-18 07:28 AM
    From BBMo... those are just marketing words used to justify their pricing. If they really wanted to be viewed as a premium brand, they would have made the KEY2 a more premium device. You don't start off with a midgrade processor from last year, you don't use a basic LCD Display (can use LCD, but it's got to be best in class) - those are the two big items on what make a smartphone premium.

OIS, Wireless Charging, Waterproofing those are "extras" that some premium phones have... to build their premium image. BBMo didn't even start with the basics.
    Maybe Wireless Charging will be included with one of the yet-to-be-released variants? You know, just like how the Passport didn't have Wireless Charging except for the Verizon Passport variant.
    08-07-18 07:35 AM
    Maybe Wireless Charging will be included with one of the yet-to-be-released variants? You know, just like how the Passport didn't have Wireless Charging except for the Verizon Passport variant.
    Verizon Passport.... and how many of those did they manufacture? Maybe 5 for testing purposes.

AT&T Passport did have wireless charging, and it's possible that AT&T will still pick up the KEY2, and maybe they'd want something to make theirs stand out.
    08-07-18 08:38 AM
    Verizon Passport.... and how many of those did they manufacture? Maybe 5 for testing purposes.
    Lol that means there are more PPSE's out there running Android Lollipop than Verizon PP's
    08-07-18 09:52 AM
    I suspect you are right on in your analysis. TCL isn't in a position to lose money, and the "the market is expanding so take big losses to secure marketshare" phase of the smartphone market ended in 2012. The market is mature, and has entered the consolidation phase where companies will either exit the market, be bought out by larger companies, or will exit the market completely.

In the late 80s and early 90s, there were a hundred companies making PCs (just for the US market). Today there are about 8, and the vast majority of the market is owned by about 4 companies (Apple, HP, Dell, and Acer). Smartphones are definitely heading that way.
    Actually I think Lenovo beat out HP and Dell. Probably Acer too.
    08-07-18 10:35 AM
    Fred you are misinterpreting my words. Really if you want really superb video don't buy any phone, whatever make, but get yourself a real camera. The Camera won't have a physical keyboard however.
    I cannot recommend this comment enough. If your desire is excellent video and amazing photos (truly amazing not smartphone amazing) then get a real camera. The DSLRs like Nikon and Canon. Smartphones have come a long way but don't forget DSLRs are also getting upgrades and new tech.
    08-07-18 10:38 AM
    It's a PKB, you will see it all the time
    No sh*t sherlock
    08-07-18 10:41 AM
    I cannot recommend this comment enough. If your desire is excellent video and amazing photos (truly amazing not smartphone amazing) then get a real camera. The DSLRs like Nikon and Canon. Smartphones have come a long way but don't forget DSLRs are also getting upgrades and new tech.
    As someone who owns a high-end DSLR and a 4K video camera, I don't think people have forgotten that these items exist - but mainstream consumers were never the market for these anyway. Instead, smartphones have almost completely replaced point-and-shoot cameras and handheld camcorders, because not only has the quality come up to par with those, but more importantly, because YOU ALWAYS HAVE YOUR PHONE WITH YOU, but it isn't practical for most people to also carry around a point-and-shoot or a camcorder everywhere they go.

No one is suggesting that you're going to be a "professional" photographer or videographer with just a smartphone - those folks still buy DSLRs and video cameras, and for good reason - but a good smartphone camera can meet the routine needs of most people, and that's become the market expectation. The bar has been raised, and few people are going to forgive a lousy smartphone camera today - and they aren't going to carry around a DSLR in order to get decent low-light snaps of their kids at the park when everyone else is doing just fine with their phone camera. Instead, they're going to buy a different phone...
    08-07-18 11:10 AM
    As someone who owns a high-end DSLR and a 4K video camera, I don't think people have forgotten that these items exist - but mainstream consumers were never the market for these anyway. Instead, smartphones have almost completely replaced point-and-shoot cameras and handheld camcorders, because not only has the quality come up to par with those, but more importantly, because YOU ALWAYS HAVE YOUR PHONE WITH YOU, but it isn't practical for most people to also carry around a point-and-shoot or a camcorder everywhere they go.

No one is suggesting that you're going to be a "professional" photographer or videographer with just a smartphone - those folks still buy DSLRs and video cameras, and for good reason - but a good smartphone camera can meet the routine needs of most people, and that's become the market expectation. The bar has been raised, and few people are going to forgive a lousy smartphone camera today - and they aren't going to carry around a DSLR in order to get decent low-light snaps of their kids at the park when everyone else is doing just fine with their phone camera. Instead, they're going to buy a different phone...
    Very true, I agree completely with you. I was just saying if the end goal is astounding photos and videos then no smartphone is going to get you that. For quick point and shoot pics yes the smartphone you have with you is perfect. And if you are not happy with the Key2 camera, that's cool too, the LG V series has awesome cameras so go for that (or whatever floats your boat).

Back to the topic at hand, I do think that most of Key2 issue with camera is software. I really really want to see what the actual picture of the sensor is coming out like (DNG/RAW).
    08-07-18 11:16 AM

And most places you once lugged those things around while on Vacation... it's just not practical as having you smartphone that does a pretty good job.

I'm a big fan of Disney World and go pretty often. I remember my first camcorder back in the 80's and lugging it around the two parks along with a Nikon camera that I had back then. Had another bag to hold the spare video tape and film and lenses. Glad those days are gone... My wife's iPhone take better images than anything I used back in the 80's or 90's - or then end results are better.
    jd3232 likes this.
    08-07-18 11:57 AM
    Fred you are misinterpreting my words. Really if you want really superb video don't buy any phone, whatever make, but get yourself a real camera. The Camera won't have a physical keyboard however.
    i can take superb video on my pixel 2 xl and note 8. there really was no excuse for the camera to be THIS BAD on a $650 phone. they would have been much better served to make one shooter with one good sensor. i will be interested to see the key3 next year
    08-07-18 12:09 PM
    why would you want to walk around with a "real camera" when you can buy a phone that has a great camera? i own a DSLR camera and nowadays the only time i use it is when i want to take a long exposure photo. theres no need for me to bring it out during the day because my phone does just as good of a job.

blackberry is getting it right with the key2, but just need to fix the camera on the key3
    08-07-18 12:14 PM
    why would you want to walk around with a "real camera" when you can buy a phone that has a great camera? i own a DSLR camera and nowadays the only time i use it is when i want to take a long exposure photo. theres no need for me to bring it out during the day because my phone does just as good of a job.

blackberry is getting it right with the key2, but just need to fix the camera on the key3
    Jesus, will people calm down about the DSLR comment? All I was saying is that DSLR will outdo any smartphone any day. Obviously you don't want to be dragging a DSLR around with you everywhere. I use the camera that I have with me which is my phone. And yes, I agree the Key2 is so close to right and the camera is a big negative.

I was just saying if you are looking for really really really high quality pictures and that's what you are going for then you don't want a smartphone camera. You will want a DSLR.

I'm done. I've repeated this multiple times. Everybody just keep calm and use the camera/phone/DSLR that you want. I don't really care.
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-07-18 12:33 PM

AT&T Passport did have wireless charging, and it's possible that AT&T will still pick up the KEY2, and maybe they'd want something to make theirs stand out.
    AT&T, schmAT&T. You get my point.
    08-07-18 12:59 PM
53 123