"For KEY2: Removed the swipe down gesture to bring up the Symbol screen". In the change notes today....I liked this feature
    05-15-19 12:39 PM
    Because for some users it pops involuntarily. The subject is widely covered here:

/blackberry-key2-f472/physical-keyboard-use-randomly-activates-pointer-cursor-mode-issue-1155317/
    Vistaus and anon(10387168) like this.
    05-15-19 01:18 PM
    Nice! This will make the keyboard experience much more pleasant for sure!

Thanks RK_BB, Bob, Crusader, Think Business, and others in their tireless commitment to improving the BlackBerry keyboard and sharing their feedback here on CB and with the BlackBerry Devs.
    05-15-19 01:29 PM
    Because for some users it pops involuntarily. The subject is widely covered here:

/blackberry-key2-f472/physical-keyboard-use-randomly-activates-pointer-cursor-mode-issue-1155317/
    Thx
    05-15-19 01:49 PM
    Did we really improve the keyboard by eliminating a feature? A better "fix" would be to have an option to disable or enable it, as some users liked this feature.
    05-15-19 02:10 PM
    Did we really improve the keyboard by eliminating a feature? A better "fix" would be to have an option to disable or enable it, as some users liked this feature.
    Granular gesture controls is something that I requested / suggested long ago as we continually kept dealing with the K2 keypad issues.

IMO every single gesture needs to have an On/Off toggle.
    05-15-19 04:24 PM

IMO every single gesture needs to have an On/Off toggle.
    Agreed... 👍

Bob
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    05-15-19 04:29 PM
    Cool. I wasn't even aware of this gesture. Now I understand why the symbols keyboard was showing up. I always thought I somehow magically pressed the sym key.
    05-15-19 05:53 PM
    zzz a step backwards for the keyboard
    05-15-19 06:07 PM
    And a huge step forward for those affected by involuntary activations of the SYM VKB.

Given you can always use the SYM key to activate the SYM VKB I can say its a good compromise.
    05-15-19 06:12 PM
    And a huge step forward for those affected by involuntary activations of the SYM VKB.

Given you can always use the SYM key to activate the SYM VKB I can say its a good compromise.
    Totally agreed! It's redundant and the SYM key works perfectly! Added bonus, no one will ever have another random SYM VKB event! All the review videos can now be redone with no SYM events, including CBK's video.
    Thinkbusiness likes this.
    05-15-19 06:18 PM
    Totally agreed! It's redundant and the SYM key works perfectly! Added bonus, no one will ever have another random SYM VKB event! All the review videos can now be redone with no SYM events, including CBK's video.
    Please wait with those video redos! We still need to eliminate the cursor mode bug
    05-15-19 06:20 PM
    Please wait with those video redos! We still need to eliminate the cursor mode bug
    Hahaha, yes! My happiness with almost having a true BlackBerry experience got the better of me!
    RK_BB likes this.
    05-15-19 06:21 PM

I guess so.
    Still, as a developer, it's better to fix issues than avoid them.
    05-15-19 06:24 PM
    I guess so.
    Still, as a developer, it's better to fix issues than avoid them.
    May not be possible if it's hardware related.
    05-15-19 06:28 PM
    And one step closer to an LE.
    05-15-19 07:12 PM

Exactly. That's the whole point of having a key dedicated to it in the first place. How much sense would it be (and how frustrating) to duplicate a random letter that's already on the keyboard with a gesture? It's not intuitive, and it's not productive.

I have no doubts confusion about this gesture has led to many a Key2 user thinking there was something wrong with their keyboard (myself included).
    05-15-19 07:18 PM
    Hardly.
    anon(10387168) and Bob80220 like this.
    05-15-19 07:26 PM
    Sorry... not even close.

Bob
    anon(10387168) and RK_BB like this.
    05-15-19 07:45 PM
    Sorry... not even close.

Bob
    Removal of swipe down feature, someone mentioned already wanting to remove the double tap for cursor... next we'll just have a gesture free keyboard, aka an LE.
    05-15-19 09:10 PM
    Removal of swipe down feature, someone mentioned already wanting to remove the double tap for cursor... next we'll just have a gesture free keyboard, aka an LE.
    Except we don't need gestures for things we already have keys for...it's as if they felt they needed to assign it to something just for the sake of it.

At least the side to side and up gestures have a purpose.

As for cursor mode, I think the keypad may have accuracy issues. Only a precise double tap on the exact same key should trigger it.

Either way, I agree with Bob that at the very least, a toggle on and off for all the keyboard swipe gestures is the right way to go.
    05-15-19 09:32 PM
    Except we don't need gestures for things we already have keys for...it's as if they felt they needed to assign it to something just for the sake of it.

At least the side to side and up gestures have a purpose.

As for cursor mode, I think the keypad may have accuracy issues. Only a precise double tap on the exact same key should trigger it.

Either way, I agree with Bob that at the very least, a toggle on and off for all the keyboard swipe gestures is the right way to go.
    I'm sorry the five of you have issues with the gestures, but I don't understand the need to do away with things that work fine for the majority of users. What about the swipe to delete, why not get rid of that since there's a physical delete key? How about removing the up/down/left/right scrolling gestures since there is already a touchscreen to do the same? Where does it stop? When all the gestures are removed your "issues" will be solved, but at the sacrifice of losing a lot of features a lot of us enjoy and have enjoyed since the passport. Why not just use an LE if you all are having such a hard time with the gesture based keyboard features?
    05-15-19 09:49 PM
    I'm sorry the five of you have issues with the gestures, but I don't understand the need to do away with things that work fine for the majority of users. What about the swipe to delete, why not get rid of that since there's a physical delete key? How about removing the up/down/left/right scrolling gestures since there is already a touchscreen to do the same? Where does it stop? When all the gestures are removed your "issues" will be solved, but at the sacrifice of losing a lot of features a lot of us enjoy and have enjoyed since the passport. Why not just use an LE if you all are having such a hard time with the gesture based keyboard features?
    05-15-19 09:50 PM
    I'm sorry the five of you have issues with the gestures, but I don't understand the need to do away with things that work fine for the majority of users.
    Do you happen to have data that prove this statement? It would be an interesting bit of info which will prove the issue at hand is hardware derived
    What about the swipe to delete, why not get rid of that since there's a physical delete key? How about removing the up/down/left/right scrolling gestures since there is already a touchscreen to do the same?
    None of those seem to cause an undesirable affect in shape of unwanted cursor mode or SYM VKB
    Where does it stop?
    Where a reasonable compromise determine by the developer is reached.
    05-15-19 10:54 PM
    Do you happen to have data that prove this statement? It would be an interesting bit of info which will prove the issue at hand is hardware derived
    None of those seem to cause an undesirable affect in shape of unwanted cursor mode or SYM VKBWhere a reasonable compromise determine by the developer is reached.
    See the post above mine about redundancy and not having the need for a gesture when a physical key already exists. I disagree with that.
    Is completely eliminating a gesture feature really a reasonable compromise? I'm all for reasonable compromises, a toggle on/off for every individual gesture would be great. You said yourself you'd like to see the double tap for cursor eliminated. Also not a reasonable compromise because I use this feature daily.
    05-15-19 11:16 PM
52 123