Hey guys,

My second Key2 in less than 2 years has been plagued by the same problem. A few months into heavy use, the Bluetooth radios' signal quality begins to degrade, to the point where headsets, BT speakers, etc., have to be within a few inches of the phone for it to consistently deliver sound without cutting out.

Back when Clewley was still at BB (he was my consulting contact along with Adrian Gould), I'd reach out to him, and would get white glove, advanced RMA support and device replacement within 24-48 hours. My first Key2 was replaced in the first 4 months, and now 9 months into this new device, same problem. My gut says bad hardware in the radio.

Went thru all the steps, reflashed, formatted, etc etc etc...nada.

Reached out to the new BB Mobile Support team, as all my contacts are gone, and a very annoying fine print line item in the warranty is knocking my ability to go through and replace my second Key2 suffering from the same problem. Apparently the replacement device only carries the balance of the warranty from the ORIGINAL device, which expired in July, and the team, ever after "escalating" aren't budging. I'll escalate this with Amazon too, but I don't like the direction BB is heading.

Being a loyal customer since 2006 and even consulting for them for a bit didn't mean anything in the new world order at TCL/BB Mobile.

So my question is this -- does anyone happen to know who took over for Clewley, Cody Bryant, or Adrian Gould on the actual BlackBerry side of the company? I wanted to reach out to someone on that side if anyone happens to have any contact info. I assume jchen@blackberry.com wouldn't be the right place to start, but who knows.

I'll accept this new world order of BB and the sorry excuse for support they have, but wanted to see if anyone here might have some advice or contact info for corporate. Thanks!
    09-23-19 11:45 AM
    Hey guys,

My second Key2 in less than 2 years has been plagued by the same problem. A few months into heavy use, the Bluetooth radios' signal quality begins to degrade, to the point where headsets, BT speakers, etc., have to be within a few inches of the phone for it to consistently deliver sound without cutting out.

Back when Clewley was still at BB (he was my consulting contact along with Adrian Gould), I'd reach out to him, and would get white glove, advanced RMA support and device replacement within 24-48 hours. My first Key2 was replaced in the first 4 months, and now 9 months into this new device, same problem. My gut says bad hardware in the radio.

Went thru all the steps, reflashed, formatted, etc etc etc...nada.

Reached out to the new BB Mobile Support team, as all my contacts are gone, and a very annoying fine print line item in the warranty is knocking my ability to go through and replace my second Key2 suffering from the same problem. Apparently the replacement device only carries the balance of the warranty from the ORIGINAL device, which expired in July, and the team, ever after "escalating" aren't budging. I'll escalate this with Amazon too, but I don't like the direction BB is heading.

Being a loyal customer since 2006 and even consulting for them for a bit didn't mean anything in the new world order at TCL/BB Mobile.

So my question is this -- does anyone happen to know who took over for Clewley, Cody Bryant, or Adrian Gould on the actual BlackBerry side of the company? I wanted to reach out to someone on that side if anyone happens to have any contact info. I assume jchen@blackberry.com wouldn't be the right place to start, but who knows.

I'll accept this new world order of BB and the sorry excuse for support they have, but wanted to see if anyone here might have some advice or contact info for corporate. Thanks!
    BlackBerry Mobile started in 2016, so any history with BlackBerry Limited is irrelevant.

In any event, yes, warranties always go to the end of the original time period - this is typical across the board.

Choose a BlackBerry Mobile repair shop, or go to your own. Either way you'll be covering it.
    09-23-19 12:03 PM
    Apparently the replacement device only carries the balance of the warranty from the ORIGINAL device
    That is the standard practice for every manufactured object.

wanted to see if anyone here might have some advice or contact info for corporate.
    TCL is solely responsible for any and all hardware issues. Contacting anyone at BlackBerry over this would only generate a canned response to contact BBMo support - if they bothered to respond at all.
    09-23-19 12:30 PM
    BlackBerry Mobile started in 2016, so any history with BlackBerry Limited is irrelevant.

In any event, yes, warranties always go to the end of the original time period - this is typical across the board.

Choose a BlackBerry Mobile repair shop, or go to your own. Either way you'll be covering it.
    I guess if they had repaired the original phone, I would understand that it carries the original warranty, but BB White Gloved me a brand new one. That should have it's own separate warranty.
    09-23-19 03:07 PM
    I guess if they had repaired the original phone, I would understand that it carries the original warranty, but BB White Gloved me a brand new one. That should have it's own separate warranty.
    How so? You only paid for one device.
    09-23-19 03:19 PM
    Company can replace or fix at their discretion. Neither choice impacts the warranty.
    09-23-19 03:19 PM
    How so? You only paid for one device.
    This is why lemon laws exist and have replaced dozens of computers and TV's over the years. And also -- this is a different piece of hardware. It should carry it's own warranty, regardless of whether or not I paid for it.

Just never had to go to that point with BlackBerry. Sigh.
    09-23-19 03:22 PM
    This is why lemon laws exist and have replaced dozens of computers and TV's over the years. And also -- this is a different piece of hardware. It should carry it's own warranty, regardless of whether or not I paid for it.

You have personally had "dozens" of computers and TVs replaced for free thanks to lemon laws?
    09-23-19 03:23 PM
    You have personally had "dozens" of computers and TVs replaced for free thanks to lemon laws?
    Yes. Have not paid for a computer since 1998 when I purchased my first Compaq Presario at Best Buy. And am on my third TV since 2010 replaced by Best Buy each time.
    09-23-19 03:25 PM

Correct if the item has been considered “lemon” by the definition. Do you think the old BlackBerry would have treated everybody without special connection any different? You paid for a single device with a specific warranty. Within time frame, it could have been replaced over and over. That’s why companies put limits otherwise it’s an unlimited warranty as people would just return before expiration.
    09-23-19 03:28 PM
    Yes. Have not paid for a computer since 1998 when I purchased my first Compaq Presario at Best Buy. And am on my third TV since 2010 replaced by Best Buy each time.

You’ve just proved my point as to why it would be awful to have you as customer for any company.
    09-23-19 03:30 PM
    You’ve just proved my point as to why it would be awful to have you as customer for any company.
    Thanks for turning this into a personal thing. Dear lord. Not the intent of the thread. Later.
    09-23-19 03:31 PM
    Thanks for turning this into a personal thing. Dear lord. Not the intent of the thread. Later.
    Sorry but that wasn’t meant personally. It was intended as the collective “you” pronoun....
    09-23-19 03:33 PM
    Uhh...either you've had an improbable run of terrible luck with your technology, or have figured out how to game the system to get free upgrades.

Either way, it's probably a long shot that you'll get another free KEY2.
    09-23-19 03:42 PM
    I have "fired" customers that I inherited when I took over my retired-for-a-different-industry boss's client base exactly because a couple of them thought they should get everything for free because they once bought something. Such as a piece of electronics with a 1 year warranty that failed after 4 years.

You have been fortunate enough to receive "special white-glove treatment", yes, but that's led you to have some very unrealistic expectations, I'm afraid. As everyone else has said, a warranty on any item starts when you originally buy it, and if they elect to replace a defective item, its warranty is still based on the original purchase date, always.

Lemon Law varies from state to state, but generally requires that you can prove that you had the same problem 3 times within the warranty period, which entitles you to a replacement device. There are some significant legal filings that are required, though rarely do consumer electronics companies push that for items under a couple thousand dollars (but, more than that, and they far more often will).

But if you brought me a TV that was a replacement for a TV that you bought 5 years ago, and expected a free repair or replacement, I'd politely tell you to forget it. And if you pressed the issue, I'd eventually start being less polite.

That's nothing personal - I don't know you - it's just business. As a small business owner, if a customer doesn't generate profits for me that I can keep, then I don't want them, and someone else is welcome to deal with them.
    09-23-19 07:58 PM
    Literally the point of the thread was to see if anyone had a contact at BB Mobile or BB that was in a similar role as the three people listed at the top of the thread. Just as I know Cody Bryant, before he left BlackBerry, lurked around here, and chimed in, and was ultimately incredibly helpful to the user base.

Didn't need the judgement committee which 90% of the responses above are from . I'll buy a new Key2 tomorrow if I have to, don't care about that, care about past behavior from BB and BB Mobile, and trying to find out if anyone had a lead.
    09-23-19 08:08 PM
    Literally the point of the thread was to see if anyone had a contact at BB Mobile or BB that was in a similar role as the three people listed at the top of the thread. Just as I know Cody Bryant, before he left BlackBerry, lurked around here, and chimed in, and was ultimately incredibly helpful to the user base.

Didn't need the judgement committee which 90% of the responses above are from . I'll buy a new Key2 tomorrow if I have to, don't care about that, care about past behavior from BB and BB Mobile, and trying to find out if anyone had a lead.
    conite was the one that explained there’s nobody on the BB side anymore since BB exited mobile hardware. Rumors are that BB licensees aren’t happy with BB and likewise the reverse.

Just escalate via Instagram as others here communicate with BBMo that way.
    09-23-19 08:55 PM
    conite was the one that explained there’s nobody on the BB side anymore since BB exited mobile hardware. Rumors are that BB licensees aren’t happy with BB and likewise the reverse.

Just escalate via Instagram as others here communicate with BBMo that way.

Good idea, will try that. Actually not entirely accurate though, up until 3-4 months ago (way after BB exited HW biz on mobile side), Clewley and Cody were still there.
    09-23-19 09:08 PM
    Good idea, will try that. Actually not entirely accurate though, up until 3-4 months ago (way after BB exited HW biz on mobile side), Clewley and Cody were still there.
    Meaning there’s no pull since different companies is what I’m referring. BB hasn’t been seriously consumer interacting just cashing the licensing checks.

The bodies have been hitting the floor.
    09-23-19 09:12 PM
    Why didn't you share your white glove access with us?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-24-19 01:36 AM

Most countries sent me in the Western world have an automatic caveat whatever is sold must be fit for purpose if it is not it is therefore defective and must be replaced.
    09-24-19 04:58 AM