There's no way you can prove this so I won't even ask, but a several thousand post thread does not equal several thousand individual users who have reported this issue. The "mega thread" is mostly the same 5-10 people discussing this issue amongst themselves, hence the high thread count. If you broke down the mega thread by posts from "The Mighty Five" vs individual members reporting the issue, you'll see it's greatly skewed in one direction. Crusader and I came to an agreement back in the day, but what's the point of this thread? It's just a continuation of the arguing that eventually got the original thread shut down at one point. This thread is a lose-lose for everyone involved.
    Wow! What incredible influence 5-10 members must have had! Super Heroes really, they got BlackBerry Ltd and it's licensees to respond and provide fixes for a non-existent problem?!? Incredible! Like magic really! Who were these masked Avengers you speak of?
    11-08-19 11:06 PM
    So just to recap everything, the Playbook was a disaster, BB10 was a disaster, the Priv was a disaster and the Licensing agreements were a disaster.

Do I need to find links to support this?
    11-08-19 11:08 PM
    Wow! What incredible influence 5-10 members must have had! Super Heroes really, they got BlackBerry Ltd and it's licensees to respond and provide fixes for a non-existent problem?!? Incredible! Like magic really! Who were these masked Avengers you speak of?
    Well, that's why they're called the MIGHTY Five after all. Btw, what's the fix that they provided?
    11-08-19 11:45 PM
    This thread should have been titled "When all was possible...in 2008"
    11-09-19 12:17 AM
    Well, that's why they're called the MIGHTY Five after all. Btw, what's the fix that they provided?
    The fix was the release of the Key²LE.
    Actually the fix was more of a band-aid, the ability to turn off the problematic capacitive keyboard features.
    11-09-19 05:05 AM
    The Fixe(s), there were 4 I believe in total, alleviated the problem but never fixed it entirely to this day!
    Smokeaire and John Albert like this.
    11-09-19 10:55 AM
    The fix was the release of the Key²LE.
    Actually the fix was more of a band-aid, the ability to turn off the problematic capacitive keyboard features.
    In the end, totally agree!
    11-09-19 10:57 AM
    As someone who doesn't care much about this issue since I rarely swipe up to autocomplete, I can say with 100% certainty that the issue is there, just like how it's an absolute fact that the KEY2 spacebar was terribly designed.
    Even on the Red KEY2, swipe ups won't work 100% of the time.
    Whether that bothers the user or not depends on said user.
    I, personally, couldn't care less because I rarely ever swipe up. Maybe only for very long words.
    However, those times where I do want to swipe up, it would be nice if the damn thing worked at the first swipe, every single time.
    The Priv was perfect in that regard.
    Bob80220 and anon(10387168) like this.
    11-09-19 07:24 PM
    My swipe up on my KEY2s (silver and red) are 100% reliable on the left and right side of the keyboard but have a first swipe success rate of about 50-60% in the centre area.

I also have the issue of sometimes over-swiping and accidentally triggering our of the Android navigation buttons. There was no over-swiping issue on the PRIV because I'd always bang my thumb on the chin of the slider, and the Passport was 100% perfect in every way.

All that being said, my reluctance to use swipe up on the KEY2 has more to do with my accidental over-swipes than it does with the success rate of centre swipes. Swipe left to delete is still the king.
    the_boon likes this.
    11-09-19 08:04 PM
    My swipe up on my KEY2s (silver and red) are 100% reliable on the left and right side of the keyboard but have a first swipe success rate of about 50-60% in the centre area.

I also have the issue of sometimes over-swiping and accidentally triggering our of the Android navigation buttons. There was no over-swiping issue on the PRIV because I'd always bang my thumb on the chin of the slider, and the Passport was 100% perfect in every way.

All that being said, my reluctance to use swipe up on the KEY2 has more to do with my accidental over-swipes than it does with the success rate of centre swipes. Swipe left to delete is still the king.
    Yep... the middle swipe up most definitely consistently fails, but like you said, the left and right sides are more reliable swiping predicted words.

Bob
    11-09-19 08:08 PM
    Yep... the middle swipe up most definitely consistently fails, but like you said, the left and right sides are more reliable swiping predicted words.

Bob
    As I have explained many a time before the V&B keys are not capacitive and therefore requires a bit of learning. Try swiping up starting with the G&H keys and you will get near 100% compliance.
    11-09-19 08:54 PM
    When you're making significant changes and pulling a large number of levers in the process, many things will improve while some things will slip. If the end result is seen as a net improvement, then it's generally considered a win.

Unfortunately, although most people will see their situation improved, some will get left behind. That's the nature of progress.
    Exactly. In my exerience coming from three years on the PRIV, the occasional word flicking is *a bit* less reliable, but far from unusable. In return for that minor setback, I got *far* smoother scrolling on pages (both vertically and horizontally). Also, moving the cursor on per character basis has become more acurate on the Key2, as does highlighting text for copy/paste action.

My verdict: minor degradation of one feature vs. huge improvement on three others that I use way more often when composing longer texts, due to capacitive sensitivity being somehow smoother - I'd consider that a win.

My workaround for flipping predicted words: very slightly slower movement than on the PRIV. Never missed a flick, took me a few days getting used to. It just needs a wee bit more pressure and a bit less speed.
    11-10-19 04:32 PM

My workaround for flipping predicted words: very slightly slower movement than on the PRIV. Never missed a flick, took me a few days getting used to. It just needs a wee bit more pressure and a bit less speed.
    Yep... I also find this technique of being slow and deliberate definitely has better results with the swiping of predicted words... 👍

Bob
    bberrist likes this.
    11-10-19 04:44 PM
    Yep... I also find this technique of being slow and deliberate definitely has better results with the swiping of predicted words...

Bob
    The fun thing is, once muscle memory kicks in, it gets quicker again. I, too found it annoying at first, but it didn't take long until I figured that I pretty much recovered from the setback as far as speed goes. The points that I think benefited from slowing the capacitive keys down are saving me so much time that - overall - it's indeed a win. Fiddling with cursor and selection is the major issue on mobile devices when used for composing texts. And that's what BlackBerry has addressed.

Not being able to swipe on the space bar took me longer to get used to
    It's why I'm flicking slightly diagonal from center to right side when the predicted word I'm going for happens to be in the middle. About a 100-110 degree angle - works like a charm every single time.

Also, whenever I need to go into cursor mode, I tap the keyboard on one of the sides instead of a center tap as I used to do on the Priv.
    A can accept that a new tool needs some thinking, trying and practice. Why should I expect it to behave exactly as it's predecessor did?
    Bob80220 likes this.
    11-10-19 05:12 PM
    Yep... I also find this technique of being slow and deliberate definitely has better results with the swiping of predicted words...

Bob
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a business tool phone??? Anything that slows productivity is just not acceptable as a flaw. Even for the Droidberry's.
    11-10-19 08:13 PM
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a business tool phone??? Anything that slows productivity is just not acceptable as a flaw. Even for the Droidberry's.
    11-10-19 08:16 PM
    Yes... but everything in my septuagenarian world moves more slowly these days... 🤣

Bob
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    11-10-19 08:23 PM
    As I have explained many a time before the V&B keys are not capacitive and therefore requires a bit of learning. Try swiping up starting with the G&H keys and you will get near 100% compliance.
    I also thought that third row on the keyboard has no capacitive. I tried key 2 once, scrolling on webpage felt sluggish, maybe because the capacitive under the third row isn't well built or optimized.
    11-10-19 08:50 PM
    I also thought that third row on the keyboard has no capacitive. I tried key 2 once, scrolling on webpage felt sluggish, maybe because the capacitive under the third row isn't well built or optimized.
    Only in portrait mode. In landscape mode scrolling works fine on the bottom row. BlackBerry's capacitive keyboards have always worked like this. The scrolling on the Key2 is way better than the jumpy scrolling that was on the Key1, but not quite as smooth as the passport and priv.
    11-10-19 09:41 PM
    Holy crap. If that little motion ('scuze the pun) is "too slow" for business use then anything less than a flagship is out of the question as BlackBerry Androids aren't the fastest things out there. And some people are using BB10 - the animation speed alone should be putting them in the poorhouse.
    Laura Knotek and bberrist like this.
    11-10-19 10:07 PM
    So just to recap everything, the Playbook was a disaster, BB10 was a disaster, the Priv was a disaster and the Licensing agreements were a disaster.

Do I need to find links to support this?
    Some feel better if the disaster they are involved with isn't as bad as the previous disaster....
    11-11-19 07:49 AM
    Only in portrait mode. In landscape mode scrolling works fine on the bottom row. BlackBerry's capacitive keyboards have always worked like this. The scrolling on the Key2 is way better than the jumpy scrolling that was on the Key1, but not quite as smooth as the passport and priv.
    I blame the terrible scrolling experience of the KEYone on those glossy keys.
    11-11-19 09:40 AM
    Holy crap. If that little motion ('scuze the pun) is "too slow" for business use then anything less than a flagship is out of the question as BlackBerry Androids aren't the fastest things out there. And some people are using BB10 - the animation speed alone should be putting them in the poorhouse.
    Hahaha, sure! Alternative realities are always welcome!

PS - Just to be clear in my Universe, it is not slow, it simply does not work unless a few time wasting , rhythm breaking attempts are made. That is a Productivity Flaw of the Major kind for a Capacitive PKB devise! In this Universe anyway.
    Last edited by Crusader03; 11-11-19 at 08:06 PM.
    the_boon and Smokeaire like this.
    11-11-19 04:59 PM
    Reading the discussion here it's sad but not surprising.

Did anyone ever think that it wasn't necessarily TCL hardware but Blackberry's Android software?

And not to place all the blame on Blackberry but maybe it has to do with each updated Android versions.

Blackberry's skin was never good to begin with from what I remember and even though they introduced decent apps (like the privacy shade, etc) nothing about the BB skin was ever implemented very well - the HUB, the Tab, Dtek, Device Search, etc and I think that was probably Google's fault.

I remember when the Priv launched people were like, give Blackberry some time they'll nail the OS - well have they? It's like almost 5 years later...

There was only ever so much Blackberry could do with Android and their take on "productivity" unfortunately.
    11-12-19 03:49 PM
    Hahaha, sure! Alternative realities are always welcome!

PS - Just to be clear in my Universe, it is not slow, it simply does not work unless a few time wasting , rhythm breaking attempts are made. That is a Productivity Flaw of the Major kind for a Capacitive PKB devise! In this Universe anyway.
    Well yeah, malfunctioning bits aren't going to fly in any scenario. The way it was written made it sound like just having to make a slightly more deliberate action was going to be a catastrophe.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-12-19 03:54 PM
258 ... 891011