Oh come on. You know damn well that every single silver KEYone that was assembled before July 10th, 2017 has had or will have its screen lift at some point.

Those who didn't by now... have probably been sitting in their box the whole time.

The adhesive was defective from the get-go.
    It wasn't defective... it just wasn't there. But then maybe they had more than one assemble line, and some units got enough glue.... ?

The bottom line is not enough people cared about the PKB to began with.... The fact that some felt the KEY2 wasn't perfect and that others felt is was very solid, is a moot point in the overall sales of the KEY2. The KEYone fill the need of the majority of those that really wanted a PKB phone.... most will be happy for a number of years. With the KEY2 and the LE, there simply was no demand... no matter the function or features of their keyboards.

But hey the typewriter is still being made, even if they aren't IBM Selectric.
    Laura Knotek and PantherBlitz like this.
    11-05-19 08:51 AM

The IBM Selectric didn't have the power to imprint through 5 layers of carbon copy paper.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-05-19 09:57 PM
    It wasn't defective... it just wasn't there. But then maybe they had more than one assemble line, and some units got enough glue.... ?

The bottom line is not enough people cared about the PKB to began with.... The fact that some felt the KEY2 wasn't perfect and that others felt is was very solid, is a moot point in the overall sales of the KEY2. The KEYone fill the need of the majority of those that really wanted a PKB phone.... most will be happy for a number of years. With the KEY2 and the LE, there simply was no demand... no matter the function or features of their keyboards.

The KEY2 and LE didn't sell precisely because of the KEYone but not for the reason you're implying - it's not because the phone will keep people happy for years to come and they won't upgrade. It's because they'll try the KEYOne and it'll be their final try with Blackberry lol.

The KEYOne sold less than the Priv did - was the Priv keeping users happy and thus the lack of demand?

Sales have been declining with each new device even as each new offering was better and better than the previous devices....why is that? Not rocket science lol.

The Q10 and Z10 still remain the top sellers in recent history post BBOS and that speaks volumes of what the problem was.

The ridiculous prices they sold the phones for certainly didn't help.
    11-06-19 05:52 PM
    I guess the unexpected exit of Bryan Palma today also would not raise any warning flags?!?

No not at all - all their execs have been leaving but rest assured, all is fine.
    11-06-19 05:58 PM
    Every BlackBerry-branded device in history was sold below cost (because of low volumes and proprietary OS development or licencing fees), so what would you have suggested?
    11-06-19 05:59 PM

Sales have been declining with each new device even as each new offering was better and better than the previous devices....why is that? Not rocket science lol.
    If you're suggesting that's because the ecosystem war was sorted by 2009 and physical keyboards went the way of the dodo, I would agree.
    11-06-19 06:03 PM
    The KEY2 and LE didn't sell precisely because of the KEYone but not for the reason you're implying - it's not because the phone will keep people happy for years to come and they won't upgrade. It's because they'll try the KEYOne and it'll be their final try with Blackberry lol.

The KEYOne sold less than the Priv did - was the Priv keeping users happy and thus the lack of demand?

The Q10 and Z10 still remain the top sellers in recent history post BBOS and that speaks volumes of what the problem was.

Wait, did the Priv really outsell the KEYone?

Did I miss something?
    11-06-19 09:20 PM
    Wait, did the Priv really outsell the KEYone?

Did I miss something?
    The Priv did not outsell the Keyone. Probably in the factor of 1/5.
    11-06-19 09:42 PM
    The Priv did not outsell the Keyone. Probably in the factor of 1/5.
    Do we really know how many PIRV were made?

They were still selling 100's of thousands of units a quarter back then... how many were PRIVs vs older BB10 inventory? Bottom line is in 2016 BlackBerry sold more phones than TCL did in the last three years. None of which BlackBerry made any money on.... but something that got three suckers to sign up.
    Laura Knotek and John Albert like this.
    11-07-19 08:15 AM
    Do we really know how many PIRV were made?

They were still selling 100's of thousands of units a quarter back then... how many were PRIVs vs older BB10 inventory? Bottom line is in 2016 BlackBerry sold more phones than TCL did in the last three years. None of which BlackBerry made any money on.... but something that got three suckers to sign up.
    Wait, so in 2016 you're saying BBL moved more units than TCL did from KEYone launch till today???

What was BBL officially selling in 2016? Just PPSE, Priv and DTEK's ?
    11-07-19 10:17 AM
    Wait, so in 2016 you're saying BBL moved more units than TCL did from KEYone launch till today???

Right after the PRIV's launch.... Dec, Jan, Feb alone they sold 650K units - I'm sure some were still dusty Z10s (75% off). So yeah I expect over the following 10 months they sold enough to beat BBMo's sales of the KEYone - and all BBMo devices. We don't have any numbers on the KEYone... some rumors put it's sales just at 1 million. Most of 2016 BlackBerry's revenue still came from hardware, so yeah I think they sold well over a million BlackBerry devices in 2016... even without really trying too much.

PRIV alone... no I don't think it beat the KEYone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-07-19 11:43 AM

I remember when I was looking for a phone in 2016 the BlackBerry Classic was on display in all the stores, so it wouldn't surprise me. That is the year I walked into a Verizon with no BlackBerry knowledge and walked out with a PRIV. That would have been impossible with Keyone and Key2.

(I walked in wanting to switch from iPhone to BlackBerry Classic, the clerk convinced me to do the Priv instead when he realized I wasn't going to settle for the Galaxy, I am glad he did.)
    11-07-19 01:23 PM
    If carrier availability would be an indicator, the PRIV lasted in AT&T stores about six months at best. New boxed, AT&T branded PRIVs were showing up on Amazon, eBay and other unofficial third party dealer sites at 50-60% off pricing. The KEYone is still listed and sold by AT&T 26 months later so I suspect KEYone sold better across the board.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-07-19 01:50 PM
    That would have been impossible with Keyone and Key2.
    Why would it have been impossible with a KEYone or KEY2 ?
    11-07-19 02:58 PM
    If carrier availability would be an indicator, the PRIV lasted in AT&T stores about six months at best. New boxed, AT&T branded PRIVs were showing up on Amazon, eBay and other unofficial third party dealer sites at 50-60% off pricing. The KEYone is still listed and sold by AT&T 26 months later so I suspect KEYone sold better across the board.
    If the e-mail issue had been quickly resolved, I really don't see why AT&T would have offloaded them to third party resellers, because I thought that and the performance issues were what was putting people off. However by April 2016, weren't both the e-mail bug fixed AND marshmallow rolled out?
    11-07-19 03:00 PM
    Why would it have been impossible with a KEYone or KEY2 ?
    Because Verizon never sold either of them, yet the Priv was released in 2015 and I walked into a Verizon store with no knowledge of the Priv and bought it brand new in July 2016.

anyway, I hope Key2 sold the best of em, I want to see another Blackberry phone.
    Last edited by Sporkguy3; 11-07-19 at 03:39 PM.
    the_boon likes this.
    11-07-19 03:25 PM
    If the e-mail issue had been quickly resolved, I really don't see why AT&T would have offloaded them to third party resellers, because I thought that and the performance issues were what was putting people off. However by April 2016, weren't both the e-mail bug fixed AND marshmallow rolled out?
    What put off many was that BlackBerry slider wasn’t a form that people wanted. Had BlackBerry led with the KEYone, maybe that would have mattered.

I’ve heard/read that whole purpose of PRIV was to show potential BB licensees BBAndroid on both PKB and VKB layouts.

It doesn’t matter as everything still ends in the same place.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-07-19 05:56 PM
    I’ve heard/read that whole purpose of PRIV was to show potential BB licensees BBAndroid on both PKB and VKB layouts.
    If you would Chuck, please post the article you read that supports this claim... Thanks.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob80220; 11-07-19 at 08:56 PM.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    11-07-19 08:33 PM
    If you would Chuck please post the article you read that supports this claim... Thanks.

Bob
    I would also be very curious for that read! As I find it very difficult to palate!
    11-07-19 08:57 PM
    The Priv was suppose to be bb10 but after that was failing miserably and costing billions to BB they rotated to android. I dont think it was to "show the capabilities" for licensing at all but was just a solution to right the sinking ship that BB was at the time
    11-07-19 09:13 PM
    The Priv was suppose to be bb10 but after that was failing miserably and costing billions to BB they rotated to android. I dont think it was to "show the capabilities" for licensing at all but was just a solution to right the sinking ship that BB was at the time
    This is somewhat acceptable of a possibility... the "showing of capabilities for licensing" isn't. I will however wait for Chuck to post up the article to support his statement.

Bob
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    11-07-19 09:24 PM
    Come on Chuck... the continued existence of the universe depends on you.
    11-08-19 01:12 AM
    It was someone here on CB that was in the industry that explained the situation. At time, I was all excited about the PRIV being AT&T carrier branded and someone then suggested it was a placeholder for last BB spot on the carrier shelf and for transitioning over to licensing BBAndroid to different OEMs. It’s not something that could realistically be officially disclosed. The AT&T PRIV failed regardless for a multitude of reasons. I went along for the ride and briefly replaced with the DTEK line until iPhone/KEYone combo. It’s obvious, consumers don’t want a slider PKB or fixed PKB in any significant quantities to justify production.
    11-08-19 08:35 AM
    This is somewhat acceptable of a possibility... the "showing of capabilities for licensing" isn't. I will however wait for Chuck to post up the article to support his statement.

Bob
    It wasn’t to prove licensing of a slider. That would be plain stupid. It was simply meant as production of BBAndroid hardware to demonstrate capabilities of either VKB or PKB in single device. It was the demo of BBAndroid software that was suggested.
    11-08-19 08:42 AM
    I frequent a number of Forums in addition to CrackBerry involved with a number of interests I have. I am amazed, although not surprised, by supposedly fact based statements that are made but without anything of substance to substantiate some claims. When asked to provide fact based support of these statements, the response is typically repeating hearsay information.

CrackBerry unfortunately, of all the Forums I am involved with, is no doubt the #1 Forum for information being posted that can't be substantiated. I always follow my Golden Rule of Forums which is... consider the source.

Bob
    11-08-19 09:54 AM
258 ... 678910 ...