For you Chuck, and others, this is obviously a "small feature." However, there are many of us that feel having the ability to type and swipe predicted words efficiently is a feature we have been accustomed to, and feel we should be able to maintain that convenience. Unfortunately this is not the case with the KEY2 as it was on previous BlackBerry devices.

So for us this is a "big" feature and for you, or others, to expect us to accept it and not be disgruntled KEY2 owners is not acceptable in my opinion. Again, aside from this flaw/defect with the PKB I am exceedingly happy with my KEY2. If this issue didn't exist the KEY2 would be for me a perfect device.

Bob
    I understand that. I’m merely expressing that niche hardware is ultimately a device of multiple compromises in the pursuit of best chance of profitability. Ultimately, in quest to please everyone, nobody is pleased entirely
    11-01-19 03:40 PM
    I understand that. I’m merely expressing that niche hardware is ultimately a device of multiple compromises in the pursuit of best chance of profitability. Ultimately, in quest to please everyone, nobody is pleased entirely
    As I am expressing that this typing of predicted words feature was flawless on prior BlackBerry devices and feel it is something we should continue to experience without compromise on current BlackBerry devices.

Bob
    11-01-19 03:42 PM
    As I am expressing that this typing of predicted words feature was flawless on prior BlackBerry devices and feel it is something we should continue to experience without compromise on current BlackBerry devices.

Bob
    BBMo felt it was area that could be compromised with less consumer impact. Much the same way that VZW supported the LE which totally removes the feature. I wonder if BBMo, given the chance for a do-over would have eliminated the feature and rolled out two LE versions, 4gb and 6gb with better carrier support from the initial offering. Capacitive PKB design was carried over from BB and that was probably a mistake from their own commercial failure. All the nuances seem to be more hindrance than help. The LE reminds me of the Curve back when. Cheap when compared to my 8700 or 9000 but consumers loved that inexpensive no frills design.
    11-01-19 03:51 PM

Bob
    When you're making significant changes and pulling a large number of levers in the process, many things will improve while some things will slip. If the end result is seen as a net improvement, then it's generally considered a win.

Unfortunately, although most people will see their situation improved, some will get left behind. That's the nature of progress.
    11-01-19 03:55 PM
    Still love my Key2. Just a bit annoying being behind on software updates and stuff. Happy with the phone though.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-01-19 04:04 PM
    BBMo felt it was area that could be compromised with less consumer impact.
    If you would Chuck, please post the evidence you are quoting to document this was a design feature by BlackBerry Mobile to compromise the swiping of predicted words feature on the KEY2... Thanks.

Bob
    11-01-19 04:14 PM
    This is in regards to the comment about being accustomed to having Blackberries with the swipe up word predictions working flawlessly. Did Blackberry even have that feature before the Priv and the Key series? I'm not trying to be a smart a?? . I just honestly don't remember the other devices having that feature.
    11-01-19 04:44 PM
    This is in regards to the comment about being accustomed to having Blackberries with the swipe up word predictions working flawlessly. Did Blackberry even have that feature before the Priv and the Key series? I'm not trying to be a smart a?? . I just honestly don't remember the other devices having that feature.
    BlackBerry Passport...

Bob
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    11-01-19 04:53 PM
    When you're making significant changes and pulling a large number of levers in the process, many things will improve while some things will slip. If the end result is seen as a net improvement, then it's generally considered a win.

Unfortunately, although most people will see their situation improved, some will get left behind. That's the nature of progress.
    Don't forget a significant portion of decisions are made with the mindset that the manufacturer/designer knows better than everyone and they don't care whether it's well-received or not. Steve Jobs and Mike Lazaridis come to mind.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-01-19 05:12 PM
    BlackBerry Passport...

Bob
    And I'm still curious if the software under the hood is the same, being that it works (I'm going off what I've read) on the Passport, a BB10 device, and don't on subsequent offerings which aren't. BB10 keyboard software was built with the Swiftkey engine, how about the Priv and KEY series?
    11-01-19 05:15 PM
    If you would Chuck, please post the evidence you are quoting to document this was a design feature by BlackBerry Mobile to compromise the swiping of predicted words feature on the KEY2... Thanks.

Bob
    The evidence is your device in your hand and your complaints. Something was changed from the previous devices. According you and others, it wasn’t fixed. I wouldn’t call it a feature. I’d call it an unintended result of changes made when BBMo designed the device and didn’t just carryover or copy previous design specs
    11-01-19 05:21 PM
    And I'm still curious if the software under the hood is the same, being that it works (I'm going off what I've read) on the Passport, a BB10 device, and don't on subsequent offerings which aren't. BB10 keyboard software was built with the Swiftkey engine, how about the Priv and KEY series?
    Good question... however the PRIV had a flawless typing and swiping of predicted words experience. The PRIV was a BlackBerry Ltd. device and the KEY2 is BlackBerry Mobile obviously.

Obviously something happened in the production of the keyboard when it went to BlackBerry Mobile. I doubt BlackBerry Mobile intentionally compromised this feature as previously claimed... I just think they screwed up... 🤣

Bob
    11-01-19 05:21 PM
    Good question... however the PRIV had a flawless typing and swiping of predicted words experience. The PRIV was a BlackBerry Ltd. device and the KEY2 is BlackBerry Mobile obviously.

Obviously something happened in the production of the keyboard when it went to BlackBerry Mobile. I doubt BlackBerry Mobile intentionally compromised this feature as previously claimed... I just think they screwed up... ������

Bob
    I wasn’t claiming it to be intentional. Just that BBMo didn’t put in the same detail or testing and once discovered, wasn’t concerned that enough people would care in the final product. Similar to KEYone and screen issues. Some bean counter didn’t think some part of design was really that imported or BB original design was flawed and BBMo wasn’t has rigorous in tests.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-01-19 05:25 PM
    I wasn’t claiming it to be intentional. Just that BBMo didn’t put in the same detail or testing and once discovered, wasn’t concerned that enough people would care in the final product. Similar to KEYone and screen issues. Some bean counter didn’t think some part of design was really that imported or BB original design was flawed and BBMo wasn’t has rigorous in tests.
    👆👆👆👆👆👆
    11-01-19 05:26 PM
    The evidence is your device in your hand and your complaints. Something was changed from the previous devices. According you and others, it wasn’t fixed. I wouldn’t call it a feature. I’d call it an unintended result of changes made when BBMo designed the device and didn’t just carryover or copy previous design specs
    Unfortunately that is speculation on your part Chuck... I was asking for documentation and not speculation to support your statement.

We all know the keyboard is flawed/defective on the KEY2. That is a fact, documented and acknowledged by TCL/BlackBerry Technical Support. Never in any of my numerous correspondence with BlackBerry Mobile Technical Support was it referenced they compromised the feature because of device design.

Bob
    11-01-19 05:28 PM

Obviously something happened in the production of the keyboard when it went to BlackBerry Mobile. I doubt BlackBerry Mobile intentionally compromised this feature as previously claimed... I just think they screwed up... 🤣

Bob
    Could be design, because the keyboard needs to slide the flatter keys might facilitate better gestures than the KEYs. Passport looks closer to Priv than KEYs as well.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-01-19 05:30 PM
    Your original statement was "BBMo felt it was an area that could be compromised with less consumer impact." That sounded intentional as it stands... I was simply asking for you to provide documentation to support your statement that's all.

Bob
    11-01-19 05:32 PM
    Unfortunately that is speculation on your part Chuck... I was asking for documentation and not speculation to support your statement.

We all know the keyboard is flawed/defective on the KEY2. That is a fact, documented and acknowledged by TCL/BlackBerry Technical Support. Never in any of my numerous correspondence with BlackBerry Mobile Technical Support was it referenced they compromised the feature because of device design.

Bob
    What am I missing here? BBMo designed the Key2 and didn’t have all the BB experience and/or wasn’t or doesn’t practice the same level of concern in their development and build.

I’m sure BBMo just has their own way of doing things. BB failed as OEM in the 10’s so I doubt TCL was really looking to copy BB methods or cared about BB advice since TCL was looking for better results.

Like BBAndroid wasn’t meant to replicate BB10 software, BBMo wasn’t attempting to replicate BB in hardware.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-01-19 05:34 PM
    What am I missing here? BBMo designed the Key2 and didn’t have all the BB experience and/or wasn’t or doesn’t practice the same level of concern in their development and build.

I’m sure BBMo just has their own way of doing things.
    ^^^ This!!! It's all good Chuck and with this statement it's clear you aren't missing anything... hahaha

Bob
    11-01-19 05:38 PM

Bob
    Hey, that's what I said! Can't find the post right now though?!?
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    11-01-19 06:38 PM

Thank goodness airbag and seat belt manufactures don't think this way! Come to think of it, doctors, teachers and caregivers don't either! Wow, how misguided they are! Apparently!
    elfabio80 likes this.
    11-01-19 06:40 PM
    Yup, the Passport! Flawless!
    11-01-19 06:41 PM

I’m sure BBMo just has their own way of doing things. BB failed as OEM in the 10’s so I doubt TCL was really looking to copy BB methods or cared about BB advice since TCL was looking for better results.

Like BBAndroid wasn’t meant to replicate BB10 software, BBMo wasn’t attempting to replicate BB in hardware.
    Since you asked, I believe that what you are missing is that a BlackBerry flagship (mid-tier) devise offered at close to flagship pricing does not earn a PASS for a major flaw! Period! Why do you continue trying to justify a PKB flaw (that's the only real differentiator for a BlackBerry branded devise in 2019), just curious as to your logic for this argument.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    11-01-19 06:49 PM
    Chuck, just so we are clear, I am not a PIE in the sky kind of guy expecting perfection in a devise, any devise. Having had most major BlackBerry devises I have givin a PASS many times! BBOS battery pulls, BBOS freezing, BB10 lack of apps, BB10 constant reboots, K1 glossy PKB, K1 inconsistent swiping especially with the center word prediction (a PASS as this was BBMo's fist attempt), K1 poor call reception, K2 constant 32 second reboots, K2 camera, K2 speaker and a few more PASSES that escape me now! What I will not and cannot give a PASS to is the PKB on a BBMo 2nd gen devise! It is the ONE BlackBerry thing left as Iconic! Hopefully, this clarifies my adamant position and conviction. Notice what I did with PIE? But I digress!
    Last edited by Crusader03; 11-01-19 at 07:34 PM.
    11-01-19 07:16 PM
    Well that was worth it.
    11-01-19 07:46 PM
258 ... 23456 ...