out of curiosity were there any additional updates to this issue? my key2 is loaded with ABE181 and having same issue.
    09-23-18 07:57 PM
    I also agree with that compare with my old OnePlus 5.
    I did tried use the phone and also earphone, I think both are much quieter than normal phone calls
    09-23-18 09:05 PM
    out of curiosity were there any additional updates to this issue? my key2 is loaded with ABE181 and having same issue.
    Nothing yet and BlackBerry Mobile seems to think there isn't an issue because the mic "works". There is a software issue causing it but I don't believe its being looked into. Once the Sept patch comes out, will check again and see if something has changed.
    Last edited by ray689; 10-03-18 at 09:14 PM.
    09-23-18 10:15 PM
    I didn't seem to have the issue at first for some reason, but it's definitely there now. I've switched to using my G6 with my other line for family video chats. on my Key2, audio calls work fine with whatsapp though
    10-03-18 06:04 PM
    I just tested this with my gf, and it's definitely using the microphone at the top near the headphone jack. I'm so frustrated with this phone right now, that I'm returning it. I use whatsapp extensively, and the phone is essentially useless until this is fixed.
    Same here. Actually had to sell my phone because of that. Daily video calls for work and family living abroad (WhatsApp/bbm/Duo) and same crappy reception on the other end. Tried bb support and got no help at all except send us your unit, we'll see if there is anything wrong with the mike. No thank you. Knowing I wasn't the only one with this issue I pretty much knew it was not hardware. Got tired of it all. I fully expect a € 650 phone not to be crippled with such an issue.
    Last edited by Laramie50; 10-04-18 at 03:21 PM.
    10-04-18 10:40 AM
    Same here. Actually had to sell my phone because of that. Daily video calls for work and family living abroad (WhatsApp/bbm/Duo) and same crappy reception on the other end. Tried bb support and got no help at all except send us your unit, we'll see if there is anything wrong with the mike. No thank you. Knowing I wasn't the only one with this issue I pretty much knew it was not hardware. Got tired of it all. I fully expect a € 650 phone not to be crippled with such an issue.
    Did you try what mralgi mentioned and enable the "Phone" permission for whatsapp ?
    He said that's what seemed to have fixed the issue.
    10-07-18 03:09 AM
    In my silver edition works well. The problem that I found now is that I cannot regulate the volume of the speaker during Whatsapp videocalls. So I hear people in the other side extremely loudly. I suppose it is software related.
    10-07-18 03:27 AM
    Did you try what mralgi mentioned and enable the "Phone" permission for whatsapp ?
    I did not. Nobody suggested it at the time on the forum or at BBMo support. But using Duo or BBM was no better...
    10-07-18 04:38 AM
    I did not. Nobody suggested it at the time on the forum or at BBMo support. But using Duo or BBM was no better...
    If a few more people claim that this simple fix works for them too, would you buy another KEY2 lol ? If I remember correctly you did say this was the deal breaker issue
    10-07-18 04:57 AM
    I think it's not fully fixed. The most reliable way to use it with any video calls is to use hands-free / headset.
    10-07-18 08:53 AM
    If a few more people claim that this simple fix works for them too, would you buy another KEY2 lol ? If I remember correctly you did say this was the deal breaker issue
    Considering I use video calls daily, I couldn’t wait for ever. I did all I could at the time to fix the problem. Switched back to iOS for a while now. Smartphones are too much money to Keep fooling around with issues such as this one.
    Last edited by Laramie50; 10-07-18 at 04:07 PM.
    10-07-18 03:52 PM
    I can confirm that a few video call recipients did say that I sounded much better after enabling this setting. And that was without me asking them. Calls placed in the exact same location. Just my experience.
    the_boon likes this.
    10-08-18 04:16 PM
    I can confirm that a few video call recipients did say that I sounded much better after enabling this setting. And that was without me asking them. Calls placed in the exact same location. Just my experience.
    Well, looks like that mystery is debunked
    10-09-18 02:58 AM
    Any magic settings for Duo or BBM?
    10-09-18 08:45 PM
    Any magic settings for Duo or BBM?
    I would imagine the same, enabling phone permissions ?
    10-10-18 03:00 AM
    Possibly. Assuming this is all that is required for a decent videocall, it would be nice to talk to people at BBMO with a better grasp of how their devices and Android work. I was in touch with them in France for over a week trying to fix this issue. Yes android is a jungle compared to ios but you'd better train your people to go beyond the basics when helping customers. All I was advised to do I had already done on my own, and I'm no wizard when it comes to technology. I disposed of the KEY2 not just because of that but that was the biggest and most pressing issue I had at the time. Waste of time and money at both ends.
    10-10-18 06:35 AM
    Enabling phone permissions does not solve this problem. I just got a key2 and I use both whats app and viber and both are experiencing the same issue. I switched back to my S8 now. I have opened a case with blackberry but I doubt any real fix is going to come soon. So I will be returning the key2 shortly. I wish there was a fix as video chatting is the deal breaker for me on top of all the other small issues. But I love the keyboard, oh well. Maybe key3 they will get it right/better.
    10-10-18 08:46 AM
    Enabling phone permissions does not solve this problem. I just got a key2 and I use both whats app and viber and both are experiencing the same issue. I switched back to my S8 now. I have opened a case with blackberry but I doubt any real fix is going to come soon. So I will be returning the key2 shortly. I wish there was a fix as video chatting is the deal breaker for me on top of all the other small issues. But I love the keyboard, oh well. Maybe key3 they will get it right/better.
    I just got a KEY2 LE and there hasn't yet been reports of this issue. Might be worth taking a look at?
    10-10-18 10:25 AM
    I know the problem is not hardware, so hoping for a fix soon in a coming app or OS update
    10-10-18 11:40 AM
    I know the problem is not hardware, so hoping for a fix soon in a coming app or OS update
    I've been troubleshooting this hard on a Key2 and Pixel XL and cannot figure it out. On both phones, the WhatsApp video caller on the other end cannot hear me.

I don't think the phone permission is the solution. All of my settings are enabled, and the iPhone video caller on the other end cannot hear any sound on my end.

The Key2 is on 8.1 and the Pixel 2 XL is on 9.

Mics on both devices have been looked at and cleaned out.

I've read that disabling Google Assistant has worked for some and I've also read that the proximity sensor has also been linked to the mic for video calls. I've tried disabling the assistant with no joy.

Video calls aren't a deal breaker for me, but it does add to the pile of issues and my iPhone X just works.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    10-10-18 06:52 PM
    Too bad TCL messes up what's become such a basic function on a smartphone.
    10-11-18 11:42 AM
    The issue is that the apps like Whatsapp are using top mic instead of bottom one. Although turning Phone permission improves it but it doesn't solve the issue.

If you use the phone in landscape, then it's a little louder since the top mic is closer. Or just hold it upside down, lol.

I'm not sure who's at fault but the easy fix is to use headset and you're fine. I always use headset for work related calls, so it's not a major issue. I have tested this fine with Hangouts, which we use for Work, the video call uses bottom mic.
    10-11-18 08:50 PM
    The issue is that the apps like Whatsapp are using top mic instead of bottom one. Although turning Phone permission improves it but it doesn't solve the issue.

If you use the phone in landscape, then it's a little louder since the top mic is closer. Or just hold it upside down, lol.

I'm not sure who's at fault but the easy fix is to use headset and you're fine. I always use headset for work related calls, so it's not a major issue. I have tested this fine with Hangouts, which we use for Work, the video call uses bottom mic.
    That's what I ended up doing too (headset). Still unacceptable.
    10-12-18 12:13 AM
    paying the price for a key2 and having to need to use a headset for video calls is unacceptable.

Not to mention the other issues like, why the ringtone/notification volume can only be turned down to a certain level before the next step is vibrate.

android auto locks up when choosing waze for navigation. Work around for this I found was to open waze and enter an address to start navigation, then plugging into android auto brings it up fine.

Just waiting for the k2LE to see what that brings.
    10-12-18 05:57 AM

Not to mention the other issues like, why the ringtone/notification volume can only be turned down to a certain level before the next step is vibrate.
    Isn't that all Android phones?
    10-12-18 08:15 AM
112 12345