From reading the thread, it seems like an issue when making a video call, irrespective of the application used.

If that's the case, then there seems to be a software issue on the BlackBerry side where the mic isn't fully working or its blocking background noise with the camera on.

I still don't own the device yet but this probably is pretty important nowadays for work. Hopefully this can be rectified soon.
    08-15-18 02:23 PM
    Update on this. I replied explaining it's not an issue with the mic and that it works fine of regular calls. I got a response saying "whatsapp is a third party app and the issue is with them". I now replied again telling them its not an issue with whatsapp as it works fine on all other devices. I don't think this will ever get fixed and if it does, it will be by a coincidence with an update. I really think it's a software/dtek issue myself but they clearly won't look into it given their responses.
    They're all the more wrong as it does not work any better on Duo...
    Still waiting for a response from them.
    08-15-18 02:27 PM
    From reading the thread, it seems like an issue when making a video call, irrespective of the application used.

If that's the case, then there seems to be a software issue on the BlackBerry side where the mic isn't fully working or its blocking background noise with the camera on.

I still don't own the device yet but this probably is pretty important nowadays for work. Hopefully this can be rectified soon.
    Does this issue also happen on Skype calls?
    08-15-18 02:27 PM
    I just got a response asking me to attempt to blow on the Mic lol.
    Love it!

I guess we all have dusty mics then.
    08-15-18 05:01 PM
    Can others contacts them stating this issues is being reported and it's not just the App? they have stopped responding to me.
    08-15-18 05:12 PM
    Can others contacts them stating this issues is being reported and it's not just the App? they have stopped responding to me.
    Could you ask them to look into this thread?

And also mention that you are doing a YouTube review so would like to see if this and camera would be addressed, otherwise you'll go with your assessment.
    08-15-18 06:03 PM
    Could you ask them to look into this thread?

And also mention that you are doing a YouTube review so would like to see if this and camera would be addressed, otherwise you'll go with your assessment.
    So I responded to tell them that its an issues with multiple video chat app and directed them to this threat. The response was:
    "We are aware of the threads bug as mentioned these are all third party applications. They microphones on the device work well."

I've now replies asking if they find it odd that its an issue on all video chat apps that work perfectly fine on all other devices lol. There will never be a resolution to this I don't think. @Bla1ze, any contact at BlackBery Mobile you can speak to directly just to acknowldege that something may be up? I really think Dtek and microphone access might have something to do with it.
    08-16-18 09:54 AM
    @Bla1ze, any contact at BlackBery Mobile you can speak to directly just to acknowldege that something may be up?
    I've passed it on to a couple folks. See what, if anything happens.
    08-16-18 11:13 AM
    I've passed it on to a couple folks. See what, if anything happens.
    Great. Thanks.
    08-16-18 11:14 AM
    Update. The below is the response I got after letting them know it's an issue on multiple video chat apps.

Thank you for getting back to us. As stated the device has two microphones one at the top and one on the bottom. They each activate when the device needs for them to.

Our research and development team is looking at this already as we have other cases where the customers seem to have this issue.

At the moment all we know is that the device works well as it has been tested. If found an issue an update will be released that will fix this.
    08-16-18 11:31 AM
    Update. The below is the response I got after letting them know it's an issue on multiple video chat apps.

Thank you for getting back to us. As stated the device has two microphones one at the top and one on the bottom. They each activate when the device needs for them to.

Our research and development team is looking at this already as we have other cases where the customers seem to have this issue.

At the moment all we know is that the device works well as it has been tested. If found an issue an update will be released that will fix this.
    There are a couple of thread on this same issue here... (they ought to be merged) in one of them an engineer from BMMo that has been on CrackBerry recently, had replied... but I can't find his post anymore. They know there is an issue and it is affecting a number of users... they are working on it.
    08-16-18 11:40 AM
    I got the same canned response from blackberry mobile saying that the issue is with whatsapp and Duo and Skype and fb Messenger.

There should be a widespread blackberry acknowledgement that their phone was released without video calling support. Seems like they would have wanted to get that right. Or at least push a fix right away.
    08-19-18 09:06 PM
    I hope Blackberry didn't really just said that the video call problem is every other apps fault....this is the exact kind of response that would let me give up blackberry completely for good
    08-20-18 04:47 AM
    I hope Blackberry didn't really just said that the video call problem is every other apps fault....this is the exact kind of response that would let me give up blackberry completely for good
    I have been in contact with BlackBerry support in France about this issue. No lame excuse from them yet but I can't make sense of the fact that the sound on DUO is consistently good (I'm in touch daily with my daughter, who's currently in The States) and uniformly terrible on WhatsApp and BBM...A mike is either good or bad.
    Last edited by Laramie50; 08-20-18 at 06:14 AM.
    08-20-18 06:04 AM
    From quickly experimenting and through some deduction due to info on this thread.

It seems to me that Whatsapp(or other video apps) are using the microphone on the top near the headset jack, rather than the one below the keyboard.

It would make sense of the low volume since in any video chat as you would be holding the phone in such a way to point the mic being used away.

Can someone confirm this as well?
    Kraeutermann, andeyw and Mamaluka like this.
    09-09-18 03:30 PM
    I have similliar problem with third party voice and video call
    If i get call from whatsapp i cant hear a voice at all
    But my friend can hear my voice clearly

But now i found solution but not permantely
    Everytime i got whatsapp call i just need back to home screen and i get the voice

Maybe blackberry software doesnt think 3rd party apps as normal call

But i dont know this will work for everybody else or not
    09-11-18 07:29 AM
    i was asked to make a short video to test the quality of the mic on top (also used for video calling). The sound is let's say decent when the phone's fairly close to my mouth. I did not even send it to BBMo as they would probably have told me that the mic was fine. Tried WhatsApp, Duo and BBM and the sound equally sucks. Not just bad, can"t carry on a conversation. So switch to my iPhone for video calls. If it's software related, i hope it will get a fix someday.
    Last edited by Laramie50; 09-11-18 at 03:26 PM.
    09-11-18 02:43 PM
    It seems to me that Whatsapp(or other video apps) are using the microphone on the top near the headset jack, rather than the one below the keyboard.
    I just tested this with my gf, and it's definitely using the microphone at the top near the headphone jack. I'm so frustrated with this phone right now, that I'm returning it. I use whatsapp extensively, and the phone is essentially useless until this is fixed.
    09-11-18 09:30 PM
    Perhaps I am late in the party as I was just able to get my hands on Key2.
    As per OP, I didn't find any issues with Whatsapp, both on Voice and Video calls. Has this been fixed?
    09-12-18 02:46 AM
    I had a conversation with my girl over WhatsApp who is now for 2 months in the UK and she couldn't hear me. I'll try to focus my voice of to the lab top mic next time then let's see..
    09-12-18 03:25 AM
    I had a conversation with my girl over WhatsApp who is now for 2 months in the UK and she couldn't hear me. I'll try to focus my voice of to the lab top mic next time then let's see..
    I think there's something wrong, hardware wise on your phone.
    My phone is working perfectly fine on the third party apps on voice and speaker phone.

Are you sure you have given microphone and other permissions to Whatsapp?

Here are my permissions for Whatsapp so far:
    09-12-18 05:28 AM
    Its something wrong with the os i thing
    I have problem with every thrid party apk
    So i play video o intagram and twitter but the sound doesnt come out at all
    Its annoying
    09-12-18 07:02 AM
    I think there's something wrong, hardware wise on your phone.
    My phone is working perfectly fine on the third party apps on voice and speaker phone.

Are you sure you have given microphone and other permissions to Whatsapp?

Here are my permissions for Whatsapp so far:
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7a76ad9880.jpg
    I've had the issue of the Whatsapp video recipient not being able to hear me as well, and you bring up a good point. Does the microphone permission allow top mic activation and the phone permission allow bottom mic access? I had the phone permission off and will test with it on. Guessing that's not a solution, but we shall see.
    09-12-18 01:27 PM
    I've had the issue of the Whatsapp video recipient not being able to hear me as well, and you bring up a good point. Does the microphone permission allow top mic activation and the phone permission allow bottom mic access? I had the phone permission off and will test with it on. Guessing that's not a solution, but we shall see.
    So...with the phone permission enabled in Whatsapp, the video call recipient said they could hear me much better. Not sure if there's any science to that, but it did happen. I also covered up the top mic during the call and they could not hear me at all.
    09-12-18 01:48 PM
    Is there a difference between speaker and earphone whatsapp calls?

Posted via CB10
    09-12-18 01:51 PM
112 1234 ...