Things have changed a lot in 7 years. We expect a lot more functionality from smartphones now - and much of that is contingent on being able to see it.
    Not all of us expect that.
    Another part of the problem is that OS developers keep pushing stuff down our throat. "Oh, people go to the doctor to have their heart rate checked out, so let's push a f***ing bloated Health app down everyone's throat!!!"
    Just to name one example.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    05-23-18 04:46 PM
    I do like having room on my screen. So the new dimensions sound good to me.
    05-23-18 05:41 PM
    Another part of the problem is that OS developers keep pushing stuff down our throat. "Oh, people go to the doctor to have their heart rate checked out, so let's push a f***ing bloated Health app down everyone's throat!!!"

Then you just have to get used to the trend.

If BBM does manufacture a smaller compact phone, I would imagine most of you would carry a second phone for other purposes.
    05-24-18 05:18 PM
    Then you just have to get used to the trend.

If BBM does manufacture a smaller compact phone, I would imagine most of you would carry a second phone for other purposes.
    Doubt it. People want a smaller phone to carry less, not more ...

The ones that carry smaller phones are ones that put communication and practicality above entertainment or 'other purposes'.
    05-24-18 08:40 PM

You aren’t forced to download and install these apps.
    05-24-18 10:41 PM
    Doubt it. People want a smaller phone to carry less, not more ...

The ones that carry smaller phones are ones that put communication and practicality above entertainment or 'other purposes'.
    Unfortunately, it's probably too small a crowd to be worth serving, at least for BBMo/TCL
    Carjackd likes this.
    05-24-18 10:43 PM

Well unfortunately the 6 of you will have to deal with the majority living in 2018 . The trend is not backwards, there is so much in store for smartphones
    pdr733 likes this.
    05-24-18 11:03 PM
    First, Blackberry has nothing to do with the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. It's a TCL device and it's their first BlackBerry-branded device.

Second, by what measure would you consider the Passport a success?
    Whoah there big man! The passport was a success. Big style. Elegant despite the form that was chosen, big clear screen, beautiful fast UI, awesome OS, great battery life, great speakers, great antenna, great microphone.

BlackBerry marketing and the timing of bringing BlackBerry 10 to market was simply appalling.

The passport? The actual product was a success in that it achieved all the functions it set out to achieve with nothing less than panache.

Don't knock the passport. There have been many things that sold like hotcakes throughout history that were considered successful but really weren't.

The Titanic - considered to be a fantastic endeavour at the time, how they thronged at the docks to see the magnificent ship and clamoured for a ticket.

VHS - oh, super popular but inferior to Betamax.

HD DVD - superior to Blu Ray but killed by the decision to incorporate Blu Ray into the PS3.

By your metric (i'm sure sales is what you're talking about) Donald Trump is a big effing win for the USA.
    05-25-18 12:41 AM
    Whoah there big man! The passport was a success. Big style. Elegant despite the form that was chosen, big clear screen, beautiful fast UI, awesome OS, great battery life, great speakers, great antenna, great microphone.

BlackBerry marketing and the timing of bringing BlackBerry 10 to market was simply appalling.

The passport? The actual product was a success in that it achieved all the functions it set out to achieve with nothing less than panache.

Don't knock the passport. There have been many things that sold like hotcakes throughout history that were considered successful but really weren't.

The Titanic - considered to be a fantastic endeavour at the time, how they thronged at the docks to see the magnificent ship and clamoured for a ticket.

HD DVD - superior to Blu Ray but killed by the decision to incorporate Blu Ray into the PS3.

By your metric (i'm sure sales is what you're talking about) Donald Trump is a big effing win for the USA.
    I'm not arguing preference. You liked the phone - I get it. I liked it too.

But my question remains - how was it successful? How many other wide phones do we see today after the Passport graced us with its presence? The original poster wrote that TCL should build upon the Passport's success.
    05-25-18 05:37 AM

It was successfully brought to market, and not being privy to it's original design goals, have to assume successfully achieved them all, yes. But...

It's a commercial product, thus success would be defined by either profitability (it failed), or being so ground-breaking all who followed adopted it's features (they didn't).

Look up Titanic success, and then get back to me on this one.

Conflating superiority and success? Interesting diversion, but no relevance to the debate.

Start a thread in rehab, and I'd be happy to debate this. You're flying the Union Jack, so I'm sure you won't mind me using the success of Chamberlain vs Churchill. Let's keep this thread about smartphones.
    05-25-18 07:24 AM
    BlackBerry Mobile is trying to address the sturdiness, and battery life issues without compromising on the screen size as best they can. But ultimately, if a phone lasts two full days but doesn't do what you need it to, who cares?
    Inversely, what good is a phone if its the latest, greatest, biggest, baddest, yet the battery is tiny and it doesn't even end up amounting to anything cause you don't have battery to do any of it..
    05-25-18 09:09 AM
    Inversely, what good is a phone if its the latest, greatest, biggest, baddest, yet the battery is tiny and it doesn't even end up amounting to anything cause you don't have battery to do any of it..
    Ask Apple?
    Fred Wu likes this.
    05-25-18 09:30 AM
    It was successfully brought to market, and not being privy to it's original design goals, have to assume successfully achieved them all, yes. But...

It's a commercial product, thus success would be defined by either profitability (it failed), or being so ground-breaking all who followed adopted it's features (they didn't).

Look up Titanic success, and then get back to me on this one.

Conflating superiority and success? Interesting diversion, but no relevance to the debate.

Start a thread in rehab, and I'd be happy to debate this. You're flying the Union Jack, so I'm sure you won't mind me using the success of Chamberlain vs Churchill. Let's keep this thread about smartphones.
    Well....ok.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-18 03:23 PM
    Ask Apple?
    Post of the month lol

Posted via CB10
    the_boon likes this.
    05-25-18 03:23 PM
    I would personally prefer a smaller form factor as I miss the pocketability of the Q10. That said, I recognize that I am in the microscopic minority in wanting this and am at least thankful that the KEY2 is a whopping 2mm shorter than the KEYone!
    05-25-18 03:32 PM
    Post of the month lol

Posted via CB10
    Feather
    thurask likes this.
    05-25-18 08:42 PM
    Whatever be the size, I dont want Blackberry/TCL to reduce the thickness like Apple did for a long time until it started having structural issues. I dont mind the bulk as long as it productive.
    05-26-18 11:44 PM
67 123