My great-uncle is still waiting for his Tucker car dealership...

We Indians also paid 100% amount for KEY2!-tucker_club_president_death_2.jpg
    John Albert likes this.
    11-10-19 07:29 PM
    There was never promise of an OS update for the KEY².

I must reiterate that statement. However, the argument that the PIE update promise only applies to the Android Recommended Program contradicts statements made by members of this forum a few months ago. During my research on CB I found the following statements:

They (BlackBerry Mobile) always promised 2 years of patches and one letter upgrade on their website. The added variable was the Enterprise Recommended program which said 3 years.“

And

„The BlackBerry Mobile website said two years of patches, and it also said Enterprise Recommended. And then if you look at Enterprise Recommended it says 3 years on Google's website.

The problem is, they both can't be right. And as I've indicated multiple times, I think it's a mistake not to provide three years.

The encouraging thing as far as Pie is concerned, is that BOTH information sources promise one letter upgrade. So there appears to be no conflict in that regard.“

Both statements were made by Conite, as you can see on the screenshots.

Which statement is correct? Did BlackBerry Mobile promise to update to Pie or not? I'm a little bit confused.

We Indians also paid 100% amount for KEY2!-conita-pie.jpg
    We Indians also paid 100% amount for KEY2!-conita-pie-2.jpg
    11-11-19 04:02 AM
    I must reiterate that statement. However, the argument that the PIE update promise only applies to the Android Recommended Program contradicts statements made by members of this forum a few months ago. During my research on CB I found the following statements:

They (BlackBerry Mobile) always promised 2 years of patches and one letter upgrade on their website. The added variable was the Enterprise Recommended program which said 3 years.“

And

„The BlackBerry Mobile website said two years of patches, and it also said Enterprise Recommended. And then if you look at Enterprise Recommended it says 3 years on Google's website.

The problem is, they both can't be right. And as I've indicated multiple times, I think it's a mistake not to provide three years.

The encouraging thing as far as Pie is concerned, is that BOTH information sources promise one letter upgrade. So there appears to be no conflict in that regard.“

Both statements were made by Conite, as you can see on the screenshots.

Which statement is correct? Did BlackBerry Mobile promise to update to Pie or not? I'm a little bit confused.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Conita Pie.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	446684

Name:	Conita Pie 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	446685
    My comments were simply reiterating the terms of the Enterprise Recommended program from the Google website.

Either they don't enforce, or they do enforce and BBMo devices are removed. Neither scenario speaks to commitments between BBMo and its users.
    11-11-19 04:05 AM
    That's not the point. The statement says literally: They (BlackBerry Mobile) always (!!!) promised (!!!) 2 years of patches and one letter upgrade (!!!) on their website (!!!). The added variable (!!!) was the Enterprise Recommended program which said 3 years.“
    11-11-19 04:14 AM
    That's not the point. The statement says literally: They (BlackBerry Mobile) always (!!!) promised (!!!) 2 years of patches and one letter upgrade (!!!) on their website (!!!). The added variable (!!!) was the Enterprise Recommended program which said 3 years.“
    In my case, I can’t find anything regarding any press release about Key2 with the Android program and updates specifically on USA site. I remember announcement of sorts but I don’t have any links to review what BBMo said or claimed. I did find link about KEYone and Motion but that’s irrelevant for a Key2 discussion.

The Oreo 8.0 rollout was supposed to happen in the spring of 2018 but didn’t happen for many until the summer or fall but it was Oreo 8.1 though. Even then for those on VZW and Sprint, it never happened.

I’ve never trusted OEMs for years before and later, not just BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile either. There are multiple examples of device hardware and software issues reported every year. Even with carrier devices, the issues don’t always get resolved and you’re offered replacements with other brand OEM hardware if necessary to keep customers happy.

I’ve learned that corporations don’t publish statements without legal fine print and/or case law on their side. Unfortunately it’s not unique to any one company.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 11-11-19 at 06:13 AM.
    11-11-19 06:03 AM
    Official Statements mean nothing around here apparently. Sad, but true!
    Last edited by Crusader03; 11-11-19 at 08:07 PM.
    John Albert likes this.
    11-11-19 07:30 PM
    In my case, I can’t find anything regarding any press release about Key2 with the Android program and updates specifically on USA site. I remember announcement of sorts but I don’t have any links to review what BBMo said or claimed. I did find link about KEYone and Motion but that’s irrelevant for a Key2 discussion.

The Oreo 8.0 rollout was supposed to happen in the spring of 2018 but didn’t happen for many until the summer or fall but it was Oreo 8.1 though. Even then for those on VZW and Sprint, it never happened.

I’ve never trusted OEMs for years before and later, not just BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile either. There are multiple examples of device hardware and software issues reported every year. Even with carrier devices, the issues don’t always get resolved and you’re offered replacements with other brand OEM hardware if necessary to keep customers happy.

I’ve learned that corporations don’t publish statements without legal fine print and/or case law on their side. Unfortunately it’s not unique to any one company.
    Oh ok! Well that makes it all good! Thanks Chuck!
    11-11-19 08:10 PM

This was always an experiment to see if there was a market. Chances were always high that if there wasn't a market, the finial devices would join the ranks of all the other BlackBerry devices that didn't get the "promised" updates that users expected.

In the end fans got three new PKB phones to use for years to come....
    11-12-19 11:24 AM
    Here is the official German press release from BlackBerry Mobile about the KEY2. I highlighted the decisive sentences and here is the translation for you again:

With the Android Enterprise Recommended, business users can purchase the BlackBerry KEY2 with confidence, knowing they are getting the most secure Android smartphone available. This means Google's defined and validated increased requirements are met, including timely security updates (provided monthly by BlackBerry Mobile), business-ready hardware features, and at least one major operating system update.

We Indians also paid 100% amount for KEY2!-de_blackberry-key2-press-release_final_seite_1.jpg
    We Indians also paid 100% amount for KEY2!-de_blackberry-key2-press-release_final_seite_2.jpg
    We Indians also paid 100% amount for KEY2!-de_blackberry-key2-press-release_final_seite_3.jpg
    We Indians also paid 100% amount for KEY2!-de_blackberry-key2-press-release_final_seite_4.jpg
    elfabio80 likes this.
    11-12-19 02:09 PM
    Here is the official German press release from BlackBerry Mobile about the KEY2. I highlighted the decisive sentences and here is the translation for you again:

With the Android Enterprise Recommended, business users can purchase the BlackBerry KEY2 with confidence, knowing they are getting the most secure Android smartphone available. This means Google's defined and validated increased requirements are met, including timely security updates (provided monthly by BlackBerry Mobile), business-ready hardware features, and at least one major operating system update.
    Well if you are a German buyer...

It would be great if all German users got together in some form of Class Action Suit... that might force them to pay BlackBerry and get everyone an update.

But it might take an expert in German law to us if there is a case or not.

Personally I think by June 2018 BBMo knew they were not going to meet BlackBerry's goals and the purposely pulled any reverences to updates. This might have been at the last minute and a few doc got through... like this and the info they sent to US reviewers that also stated updates.

I'm kinda shocked how well most are taking it... would seem like a great time for some social media campaign... or a poll.
    11-12-19 02:29 PM
    No, they did not make the decision in June, but at the turn of the year 2018/19.
    11-12-19 02:34 PM

Name:	DE_BlackBerry KEY2 Press Release_FINAL_Seite_1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	446694

Name:	DE_BlackBerry KEY2 Press Release_FINAL_Seite_2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	446695

Name:	DE_BlackBerry KEY2 Press Release_FINAL_Seite_3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	446696

Name:	DE_BlackBerry KEY2 Press Release_FINAL_Seite_4.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	446697
    My fault Paul as I read that press release in English on BB Mobile USA website. It’s clearly there.

Perhaps that’s reason I guess for the staggered rollout. As long as the Key2 exists is current model, BBMo hasn’t violated the OS upgrade. I’m still of the belief it’s done and just waiting for TCL paying BB for delivery.

I never read the fine print so I was done after the first page....
    11-12-19 02:43 PM
    No, they did not make the decision in June, but at the turn of the year 2018/19.
    Meaning they knew full well that those who would pay $699 (or was it $799?) For a Red KEY2 in 2019 wouldn't get an update either lol
    11-12-19 03:34 PM
    Meaning they knew full well that those who would pay $699 (or was it $799?) For a Red KEY2 in 2019 wouldn't get an update either lol
    Looks that way doesn't it... 🤔 Regardless, we are all in the same boat... 😱

Bob
    the_boon likes this.
    11-12-19 03:45 PM
    The Key3 will be a Key2 with 8/256 specs and PIE with @conite autograph version.
    elfabio80 and SoundChaser007 like this.
    11-12-19 03:56 PM
    The Key3 will be a Key2 with 8/256 specs and PIE with @conite autograph version.

Zero update, Zero patches.... it would still sell more units than the Titan has.
    11-12-19 03:59 PM
    Zero update, Zero patches.... it would still sell more units than the Titan has.
    Because of the autograph?
    11-12-19 04:01 PM
    @CHUck
    If you knew what we're all missing. The prototype of the 'KEY3' just looks awesome.
    Bob80220 and John Albert like this.
    11-12-19 04:03 PM
    @CHUck
    If you knew what we're all missing. The prototype of the 'KEY3' just looks awesome.
    Ughh frustrating to think about
    11-12-19 04:33 PM
    @CHUck
    Ughh frustrating to think about
    Not that I’m holding my breath, however depending on licensing terms and penalties, keeping all the external components the same with minimal updated internal and paying their outstanding bill to BB for Key2 OS updates etc would be the only possible upside beyond three years of the Key2 and no PIE and such. Kind of like the Passport helped sell Classics and Leaps which helped burn the purchase commitments. That however is a super long shot
    11-12-19 04:41 PM
    @CHUck
    Did you have the chance to see it? Es hätte sehr schön denke ich....
    11-12-19 04:44 PM
    Well, well, well! So once again, a member(s) states that BBMo committed to a Letter update for the K2 and the immediate and predictable response is that they did not! In fact one influential member stated they never promised it at all! Again regular members here have to do the due diligence of proving the statement to be not only correct, but fact! This forum seems to be a little upside down if you ask me. At least our members now know the irrefutable truth proven with empirical facts! Sad times indeed!
    Last edited by Crusader03; 11-12-19 at 07:45 PM.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    11-12-19 05:28 PM
    Well, well, well! So once again, a member(s) states that BBMo committed to a Letter update for the K2 and the immediate and predictable response is that they did not! In fact one influential member stated they never promised it at all! Again regular members here have to do the due diligence of proving the statement to be not only correct, but fact! This forum seems to be a little upside down if you ask me. At least our members now know the irrefutable truth proven with Imperial facts! Sad times indeed!
    I’m not sure which character I am but I went on the BBMo USA website yesterday, when I posted, completely missing the statement on the last page. The press release wasn’t in a PDF type format so I scrolled past it on my phone. As I said before, BBMo technically hasn’t broken their commitment yet so I’ll withhold judgement until appropriate time.

I don’t recall any time requirement on the OS letter update or did I miss that?
    11-12-19 05:52 PM
    Did you have the chance to see it? Es hätte sehr schön denke ich....
    Would have loved to have seen it myself! Although, if no K3 then the sadness would be even greater!
    11-12-19 07:50 PM
    BlackBerry told news outlets that 9 is coming but they didn't say, when. It's the same thing that happened with the Priv and Android 7. Buyers shouldn't care as Android 9 has never been part of the product description anyway. With how chaotic the update situation has always been across the Android universe, one has to be pretty foolish to believe in any promises imo. Checking a brand's track record is the more reliable source for info to base a decision on.

With BlackBerry/TCL it's been just the same as with BlackBerry on Android: If it comes, it comes and if it doesn't, it doesn't. Why all these discussions? They never bring anything new to the table.

For personal use, it's still an awesome device, second to none. Use it and enjoy the hell outta it while it lasts, I'd say. There's still joy to be had.
    11-12-19 07:58 PM
126 ... 3456