Today, I went to attend my son's (5years old) football practice and recorded multiple videos of him practicing. My wife used her s9+ and I used my key2 to record the exact same scene with digital zoom 2x since he was practicing far away.

I read multiple times here that s9+ and key2 shares the same camera modules at least. + The lighting was not super bright, but it was quite bright place as indoor at the time of recording. Thus, I expected to get somewhat similar quality videos with some minor variation such as shakiness due to key2's lack of OIS.

However, the difference is night and day. With her s9+ recording, we at least could tell who is my son and what he is doing. With my key2's recording.... I can not even tell who is my son from watching video clip. I checked the info of two video clips, and both were recorded with the same set up (1080p, 30fps, enhanced video stabilization on)

This is very disappointing. My key2's camera is only good for scanning documents .. I guess....
    Attached Thumbnails Very poor video recording quality at the same resolution.-6599.jpg  
    Last edited by destiny.seeker; 08-20-18 at 12:07 AM.
    08-19-18 11:46 PM
    Above is screen captured from the one recorded with key2, and this is the one captured from my wife's s9+.
    Attached Thumbnails Very poor video recording quality at the same resolution.-6598.jpg  
    JWW likes this.
    08-19-18 11:50 PM
    Not a surprise... I carry my Lumia 1020 since the Q10 days... can't trust a BlackBerry camera... but at least Passport had OIS and videos were nice looking compared to the crappy videos/pictures the Key2 takes... let's hope they can improve quality with software updates... which I highly doubt.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-20-18 12:04 AM
    The Key2 may have the same sensor as the Samsung but, obviously, the lenses and/or processing is simply pretty bad. Sensor is only one part of the whole equation
    08-20-18 01:48 AM
    Not a surprise... I carry my Lumia 1020 since the Q10 days... can't trust a BlackBerry camera... but at least Passport had OIS and videos were nice looking compared to the crappy videos/pictures the Key2 takes... let's hope they can improve quality with software updates... which I highly doubt.
    One would think that with faster CPU's and processing, some company would be bold enough to attempt a 1020 styled camera again. Maybe Nokia will give it a go. It would be a huge seller in Asia.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-18 02:33 AM
    One would think that with faster CPU's and processing, some company would be bold enough to attempt a 1020 styled camera again. Maybe Nokia will give it a go. It would be a huge seller in Asia.

Posted via CB10
    A new Nokia phone will be announced today/tomorrow. Suspected Nokia 9, or may be not.
    08-20-18 02:39 AM
    A new Nokia phone will be announced today/tomorrow. Suspected Nokia 9, or may be not.
    One can only hope. I read some months back that they were working on the raised ring concept (1020 appearance) but with up to 5 separate cameras. Would need some serious processing power to make that work. If they can do ti, the Asian market would be all over it.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-18 03:22 AM
    Above is screen captured from the one recorded with key2, and this is the one captured from my wife's s9+.
    Are you on the latest update of KEY2?
    08-20-18 07:20 AM
    Are you on the latest update of KEY2?
    YES. ABE181 aug patch. And I think the picture quality under average lighting got somewhat worse, and darker light got somewhat better with the newest update. Not by scientific measure at any means though...

But it was shocking to see this much of difference with video, camera quality.

I have dslr camera, buit I don't bring it with me all the times unless it is a special event. (I might bring my real camera for the important games, but not for all practices he is having on regular basis. -_-) and I think I will start to bring my old s8+ with my key2 again just for taking camera/ videos for casual meetings and moments. I used to do this all the time with my key1, and really wished I wouldn't have to do so again.

Honestly key2 and key1 camera seems to be very similar. One is better under certain circumstances and the other one is better under different situation while s8+ and s9+ camera/video are always better than key1 and key2 in any situation.
    08-20-18 07:30 AM
    Today, I went to attend my son's (5years old) football practice and recorded multiple videos of him practicing. My wife used her s9+ and I used my key2 to record the exact same scene with digital zoom 2x since he was practicing far away.

I read multiple times here that s9+ and key2 shares the same camera modules at least. + The lighting was not super bright, but it was quite bright place as indoor at the time of recording. Thus, I expected to get somewhat similar quality videos with some minor variation such as shakiness due to key2's lack of OIS.

However, the difference is night and day. With her s9+ recording, we at least could tell who is my son and what he is doing. With my key2's recording.... I can not even tell who is my son from watching video clip. I checked the info of two video clips, and both were recorded with the same set up (1080p, 30fps, enhanced video stabilization on)

This is very disappointing. My key2's camera is only good for scanning documents .. I guess....
    I feel ya. I took a few videos for the first time the other day on ABE181 and I was shocked how poor the quality was in all available settings. The video from my old Classic appears to be better.
    08-20-18 08:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    Sony’s new IMX586 stacked CMOS image sensor delivers 48 effective megapixels. I don't know if anyone will do large raised Lenses like the 1020, but you can bet there will be some more focus on Cameras next year.

One key feature is the "Sony IM586 can optionally maximize light sensitivity instead of image resolution by grouping 2x2 blocks of adjacent 0.8μm pixels into larger logical pixels of 1.6μm each. In this mode, the sensor will produce better low light images, but at a lower resolution of 12MP". 12MP is fine for most situations, I think improving low light images is what most people really want....

But the article on it pointed out that this camera will need a lot of imaging processing power - should only expect to see it in flagship phones. I expect that's the problem with the KEY2 Camera now... it's a good camera, but it's paired with an older imagining processor (SD660 is built from the SD820, but with a lesser GPU) Add in BBMo is using some 3rd party group for the software... and it's little wonder the results are less than desired.
    08-20-18 08:53 AM
    Forget it....this camera is nothing but a big $hit. You'll never get a software update (if any) good enough to set things straight. Wasn't different with the Priv and the KeyOne (I had both). Horrific watercolor effect. Zero detail (unless you watch it on a tiny phone screen). No OIS resulting in shaky footage. Plain and simple: Cam hardware is bad, so no amount of software will ever be able to fix it. You'll never be able to make a pit bull out of Chihuahua.

Here's a video shot with the Key2 IN PERFECT BRIGHT DAYLIGHT at 1080p.
    Hilarious stuff.

You can go to the youtube page and set to 1080p, but it won't help LOL.

Especially have a look when he zooms into the statue @ 0:25:
    Very poor video recording quality at the same resolution.-2018-08-20_155257.jpgVery poor video recording quality at the same resolution.-2018-08-20_155346.jpg

And zooming into the duck sitting in the grass @1:00:
    Very poor video recording quality at the same resolution.-2018-08-20_155430.jpg

You want something additional to laugh?
    Have a look at the indoor/low-light videos in this thread. All of the aformentioned flaws become even worse when shooting footage indoors/ in low light:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...arison-1153169

This piece of work can be yours for a bargain € 650-700.

I'm sure you'll have people on CrackBerry nag again who are "betting that for most people it's good enough and that they wouldn't care about the cam anyways as it is a tool". LOL. "Because for real photography and video, you'll carry along a DSLR or point and shoot". LOL.
    Last edited by WT44; 08-20-18 at 11:50 AM.
    deiop, Fred Wu, bobshine and 2 others like this.
    08-20-18 09:00 AM
    Good info on the Sony sensor. Somebody has to take the initiative and run with it. Those bold enough will reap a great return and separate themselves from the large pack of slabs.

I don't have any detailed knowledge on the Key2 sensor but I own several Olympus M43 cameras with Panasonic sensors. The Olympus JPGS for years were far superior to the Panasonic units using the exact same sensor and lenses. It was all down to the in-camera JPG engine and the brains behind the RAW converter. I would guess that the Key2 image deficiencies could be suffering from a similar issue.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-18 09:02 AM
    Forget it....this camera is nothing but a big $hit. You'll never get a software update (if any) good enough to set things straight. Wasn't different with the Priv and the KeyOne (I had both). Horrific watercolor effect. Zero detail (unless you watch it on a tiny phone screen). Plain and simple: Cam hardware is bad, so no amount of software will ever be able to fix it. You'll never be able to make a pit bull out of Chihuahua.

Here's a video shot with the Key2 IN PERFECT BRIGHT DAYLIGHT at 1080p.
    Hilarious stuff.

You can go to the youtube page and set to 1080p, but it won't help LOL.

Especially have a look when he zooms into the statue @ 0:25:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-08-20_155257.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	720.8 KB 
ID:	439343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-08-20_155346.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	621.9 KB 
ID:	439344

And zooming into the duck sitting in the grass @1:00:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-08-20_155430.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	734.4 KB 
ID:	439345

You want something additional to laugh?
    Have a look at the indoor/low-light videos in this thread:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...arison-1153169

This piece of work can be yours for a bargain € 650-700.

I'm sure you'll have people on CrackBerry nag again who're "betting that for most people it's good enough and that they wouldn't care about the cam anyways as it is a tool". LOL. "Because for real photography and video, you'll carry along a DSLR or point and shoot". LOL.
    Yep, exactly! The usual people will come out & say it's a phone for work & not taking pictures. They'll say bring a DSLR with you everywhere you go in case you need to take a picture. Since 2010, there is no excuse for such an expensive smartphone having such a terrible camera. A smartphone is "smart" because it does it all, within one simple package.
    WT44, Fred Wu, skinnymike1 and 2 others like this.
    08-20-18 11:39 AM
    Yep, exactly! The usual people will come out & say it's a phone for work & not taking pictures. They'll say bring a DSLR with you everywhere you go in case you need to take a picture. Since 2010, there is no excuse for such an expensive smartphone having such a terrible camera. A smartphone is "smart" because it does it all, within one simple package.
    I think the hyperbole on both sides of this "issue" is unrepresentative.

The camera is neither "excellent, fantastic, or as good as [flagship model of choice]", nor "crappy, garbage, or terrible".

That leaves a lot of room in the middle. It can take some decent shots, and some poor shots. Hopefully it will improve.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-20-18 11:54 AM

The camera is neither "excellent, fantastic, or as good as [flagship model of choice]", nor "crappy, garbage, or terrible".

That leaves a lot of room in the middle. It can take some decent shots, and some poor shots. Hopefully it will improve.
    I'm sorry, enough people have posted proof that the camera terrible. How much more grainy do people need the shots to be to finally accept criticism of Blackberry?

If somebody showed me shots posted on this board of the Key2, I'd honestly expect them from a pre-paid phone from Best Buy & not really care. For a phone at a ridiculous price of 650$, it is completely ridiculous!
    WT44, Fred Wu, Grabber5.0 and 2 others like this.
    08-20-18 11:57 AM
    I'm sorry, enough people have posted proof that the camera terrible. How much more grainy do people need the shots to be to finally accept criticism of Blackberry?

If somebody showed me shots posted on this board of the Key2, I'd honestly expect them from a pre-paid phone from Best Buy & not really care. For a phone at a ridiculous price of 650$, it is completely ridiculous!
    Add "completely ridiculous" to my list.
    08-20-18 12:04 PM

I wonder if the August update helped with that, since it's been rolling out to many devices lately
    08-20-18 12:05 PM
    Im subscribing to this thread, even thought I have not taken a single photo with mine...I had high expectations of it being as bad as any other BB device.

I do hope its software related, but then again we say the camera is sure to be fixed with the next coming patch, which dates back to the Bold.
    WT44 likes this.
    08-20-18 12:37 PM

If key2 at 2018 with $650 price tag can only produce lesser quality pictures and videos than s7 from 2016.... Can't we say that it is crappy?

I have bought literally every blackberries since 2002 on the launch date except dtek slab series. ( I buy BlackBerry for pkb all the times) and I know I will probably be doing the same for next few more years.... So this is a voice from long time royal BlackBerry fan not from a hater.

BlackBerry really need to step up and come with average quality camera next time. (Like.... Better than couple years old flagship models at least...) otherwise, it won't sell to normal consumers ever again but us in crackberry forums. Sigh...
    WT44 and pdr733 like this.
    08-20-18 02:37 PM
    If key2 at 2018 with $650 price tag can only produce lesser quality pictures and videos than s7 from 2016.... Can't we say that it is crappy?

I have bought literally every blackberries since 2002 on the launch date except dtek slab series. ( I buy BlackBerry for pkb all the times) and I know I will probably be doing the same for next few more years.... So this is a voice from long time royal BlackBerry fan not from a hater.

BlackBerry really need to step up and come with average quality camera next time. (Like.... Better than couple years old flagship models at least...) otherwise, it won't sell to normal consumers ever again but us in crackberry forums. Sigh...
    Comparing to other $650 devices is irrelevant. Remove the licencing fee, the OS fee, the keyboard production and R&D fee, the low-volume premium, and you are now comparing to a $250-300 phone.

But I'm not arguing that it's an awesome camera - only that it's not "garbage".
    Last edited by conite; 08-20-18 at 02:55 PM.
    08-20-18 02:41 PM
    If you have key2, you can make someone believe that it’s 5 years old blackberry!
    WT44, Fred Wu and Grabber5.0 like this.
    08-20-18 02:48 PM
    Key2 camera suk but the rest is good lucky I kept my s8
    08-20-18 03:57 PM

Just tested my K2 on the same settings and it was crap! Good news though, I then toggled on the "AF" (Auto Focus) and voila, it was clean, clear and good quality! Do you have AF turned on? You turn it on from the video screen. Let us know. Cheers ,
    08-20-18 04:48 PM
    [ A smartphone is "smart" because it does it all, within one simple package.[/QUOTE]

My KEY2 can't brew tea, so how smart is "smart"?

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying that you shouldn't lean too hard on the word "smart".
    08-20-18 04:57 PM
291 123 ...