Bit the bullet and made the change from the LE to the Key 2 proper after seeing some success stories here. Popped my SIM in and had calls working from the get go, but I data stated it was roaming.

As it was after hours I had no choice but to chat with someone on the Verizon site. Explained the situation to the rep, gave him the IMEI and ICCID and he began another activation of it.

He prompted me to turn off my phone while he did something on his end. Turned it on after a minute or two as instructed and all was set; calls, SMS, mms, data.

Loving the Key 2!! It has everything the LE had that made me like it, but more polished and snappier overall.
    01-05-19 07:04 PM
    I'm on metro which uses T-Mobile. My Key2 LE works fine. No issues at all.
    01-05-19 09:53 PM
    I think you are correct!! I won't have a chance to do that until at least Monday. I hope the VZW store manager/rep will help me get to the right person.
    I did not say to go into the store. Please re-read what I wrote.
    01-05-19 10:07 PM
    I think you are correct!! I won't have a chance to do that until at least Monday. I hope the VZW store manager/rep will help me get to the right person.
    Go to the Verizon BYOD page and type in your IMEI: https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=V7Vz74In
    See if it recognizes it. The webpage recognized my IMEI as an LE.

It was interesting, with my new SIM I didn't get voice or texts until it was added to the DMD. Then they had to provision for CDMA-less (after adding to DMD) and then it all started working.
    Last edited by azmojo; 01-06-19 at 11:42 PM.
    01-06-19 02:56 PM
    I did not say to go into the store. Please re-read what I wrote.
    I did read your post. I had spoken with store manager a couple of times by phone and thought that she may end up on call with tech support with me. That did not happen. I had to go to store anyway to discuss plans/pricing for moving my other devices over so it was not a complete waste of time.

I am on the phone with level 2 (allegedly) tech support now as I type this. We'll see. So far my only problem appears to be receiving SMS. Voice/data/sending SMS?MMS all works fine. The tech assures me that adding me to the IMEI database should not affect receiving SMS/MMS. He has checked a number of things. He even called me on a land line. I switched T-Mobile SIM into Key2 (replacing VZW SIM). He sent me SMS/MMS messages to KEY2 using T-Mobile SIM.......... no problem. Therefore device is not an issue.

Tech is currently checking a couple of things on their (VZN) end......... I am on hold.

We'll see.
    01-07-19 12:44 PM
    No go......... Tech finally came back and gave me a speech about how Key2 is not on their approved list ...... like the LE .... and how they are trying to approve devices that provide users a "consistent experience" unlike what I am experiencing with my Key2. (of course this is all total BS)

I guess I will be up for round 3 later today or tonight.
    01-07-19 02:01 PM
    No go......... Tech finally came back and gave me a speech about how Key2 is not on their approved list ...... like the LE .... and how they are trying to approve devices that provide users a "consistent experience" unlike what I am experiencing with my Key2. (of course this is all total BS)

I guess I will be up for round 3 later today or tonight.
    Humor me and go to the VZN BYOD page and type in your IMEI and tell us what it says please.
    01-07-19 08:44 PM
    Humor me and go to the VZN BYOD page and type in your IMEI and tell us what it says please.
    Sure.... I've checked about a dozen times since I received Key2 3 days ago. Here ya go, copy-n-paste:
    "The phone associated with the Device ID you entered is not compatible with the Verizon Wireless network."

I've done a fair amount of reading but what I haven't found is exactly what having the IMEI in the DMD actually does. I have voice / data and can send SMS/MMS ....... I simply cannot receive SMS/MMS. I'm not sure having the IMEI added to DMD will resolve this. It may.... It may not.

I've read. Where others have set up a LE, popped the same SIM out of LE and into a Key2 and it works. That Key2 is not in IMEI.

Anyway..... Hope the humor lasts for a bit. I have not given up.
    01-07-19 09:38 PM
    Thanks duck, I was just trying to figure out how this works. If you followed my posts, I received my Key2, got a new SIM from the local store, and called VZW to have it added to the DMD. No calls worked but I did have data. I then traveled and got too busy for 2 weeks, came back, popped the SIM back in and no change; however, on the BYOD page it did recognize my device as a KEY2 LE. Still, I had to call again and ask it to be added to the DMD. Waited a few days, then called again and evidently it got added and they were able to provision the texting and all works now.

Good luck!
    01-08-19 11:55 AM
    Thanks duck,

Good luck!
    After going back this AM and reviewing more discussion at community.verizonwireless.com and here in this thread (https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...9/index10.html) I determined that I needed to focus more on having the SIM/line provisioned as "CDMAless". Apparently this is what solves the problem of not receiving SMS/MMS.

I just got off the phone with VZN tech support (3rd round). Rep assured me they were level 2. I told her the problem was that I need to have my SIM/line provisioned as "CDMAless" so that I could receive SMS/MMS. She said that she was very familiar with CDMAless provisioning ........ as usual, she checked and tried a few things herself and had me turn Key2 off/on twice during the call. We ended with her telling me she is sending a request up to have this taken care of and it may take 3-4 days but would more klikely be 24-48 hours. She sent me an email with a reference (NRB) # for the request. First time this has happened. Maybe this is it.
    Last edited by duckduke; 01-08-19 at 08:25 PM.
    01-08-19 12:23 PM
    I have to say that having read MANY different threads on people getting their Key2 activated and even Key2 LE when they first came out it's pretty amazing how simple getting the CDMA-less provisioning is when you speak with the RIGHT person. Based on what I have read it's something that a normal rep can do IF they know where to look. So I would strongly recommend calling back and trying someone else, as you might have more luck. Just an FYI...
    01-08-19 03:11 PM
    duckduke,

If you read the forums, your Key2 is behaving exactly as it should for the stage that you are at. Once the DMD is complete, I would recommend what classact said and get to a Level 2 supervisor. Once I got there (after hours and hours with level 2 over a week of time), my Key2 was finally enabled with text send capability.

Since just today VZW is now offering the Key2LE directly from VZW, hopefully the VZW apps will work seamlessly.

Now they just have to get the Key2 to be officially supported and sold by VZW.
    01-09-19 01:18 PM
    One more thing. After using my new Key2 for a couple of weeks, I can honestly say that it is amazing and the best phone I have ever had. Plenty of screen space for texting, emailing and surfing (all I do with a phone) and lightning fast (especially with the Brave browser).

I keep GPS off unless I am using it and the battery is lasting a day and a half with moderate phone use and the full weekend with just surfing.

If you want to be "cool", show the kids how a keyboard works on a phone, some have been very impressed. Much more unique than the iPhone XR at the same size and weight (and at a much lower cost).

I don't take too many pictures with it, but my wife's old iPhone 6s camera blows it away, so that is a weak spot.

Overall, I am extremely happy with my Key2.
    01-09-19 01:25 PM
    After going back this AM and reviewing more discussion at community.verizonwireless.com and here in this thread (https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...9/index10.html) I determined that I needed to focus more on having the SIM/line provisioned as "CDMAless". Apparently this is what solves the problem of not receiving SMS/MMS.

I just got off the phone with VZN tech support (3rd round). Rep assured me they were level 2. I told her the problem was that I need to have my SIM/line provisioned as "CDMAless" so that I could receive SMS/MMS. She said that she was very familiar with CDMAless provisioning ........ as usual, she checked and tried a few things herself and had me turn Key2 off/on twice during the call. We ended with her telling me she is sending a request up to have this taken care of and it may take 3-4 days but would more klikely be 24-48 hours. She sent me an email with a reference (NRB) # for the request. First time this has happened. Maybe this is it.
    The CDMAless provisioning is almost instant, so what you are really waiting for is to be added to the DMD.
    01-10-19 12:11 PM
    The CDMAless provisioning is almost instant, so what you are really waiting for is to be added to the DMD.
    Thanks!! I would guess that. However, from reading other discussion I am not positive whether the issue with not receiving SMS/MMS is due to the CDMAless provisioning or the IMEI not being added to the DMD.

I have read where others have set up a SIM with everything working in an LE, take that SIM out of the LE and put it in a Key2........ bam...... everything on Key2 is working (without the IMEI being added to DMD I'm assuming). If this is real, then adding the IMEI to DMD does not affect receiving SMS/MMS.

BTW......... as of this writing status is the same. Everything works except receiving SMS/MMS. I am right at 48 hours since the last call and the "Request" being submitted and documented to me via email. The rep told me 3-4 days but could be 1-2 days. I was really hoping to be 100% by now but plan to wait at least 24 hours before any further action.

Thanks again!!!!
    Last edited by duckduke; 01-10-19 at 06:01 PM.
    01-10-19 12:34 PM
    My wife's old iPhone 6s camera blows it away, so that is a weak spot.
    Ouch, to me that's just plain unacceptable. Hope BlackBerry Mobile is paying attention!
    01-10-19 01:11 PM
    Ouch, to me that's just plain unacceptable. Hope BlackBerry Mobile is paying attention!
    But...but... Apple has boatloads of $$$ to invest in R&D for camera software...

Ok fine I'll stop making excuses, BBMo probably got flak for the KEY2 camera more than anything else, so they already know they have to do better next time around.
    01-10-19 07:40 PM
    my two cents on the Verizon situation which is worth very little:

In the Verizon Open Development documentation, it mentions the following:
    "The device shall support the device configurable parameter smsformat which can have the value 3gpp2 or the value 3gpp. This parameter shall be stored
    on the device in non-volatile memory and shall be configurable over-the-air using OTADM procedures. For Type 3 and Type 4
    CDMALess devices, the value of the smsformat parameter shall always be configured to '3gpp'. For all other devices, the default value is 3gpp2."

In plain English, my interpretation is that 1) Verizon must allow the IMEI or range of IMEIs and 2) Blackberry Mobile's software must play nice with Verizon's OTA Provisioning of incoming and outgoing messaging settings (3gpp vs. 3gpp2 and the variety of revisions of those) which it isn't at the moment and may never.

All the settings can be seen and some edited if you use quickshortcutmaker and browse through the app called ARDA. I would not recommend changing anything though.

The whole miserably boring documentation is here: https://opendevelopment.verizonwirel...ssJune2018.pdf
    01-11-19 06:19 AM
    I'm 100% up. went to Best Buy and picked up LE. Went to VZW store, new SIM properly activated/provisioned. Popped the SIM out of LE and into Key2 and all is good.

Way better to me than wasting any more time with tech support and then waiting for days for nothing to happen. To each their own.

Thanks for all the support here!!!
    krazyatom, tigrute and bibbula like this.
    01-11-19 03:38 PM
    I'm 100% up. went to Best Buy and picked up LE. Went to VZW store, new SIM properly activated/provisioned. Popped the SIM out of LE and into Key2 and all is good.

Way better to me than wasting any more time with tech support and then waiting for days for nothing to happen. To each their own.

Thanks for all the support here!!!
    So are you keeping LE?
    01-11-19 04:41 PM
    So are you keeping LE?
    For about a week so I'm convinced all is good. Then I'm going to get a full refund on LE at Best Buy and pay a $35 restocking fee.
    01-11-19 05:54 PM
    Lol imagine if BBMo actually officially marketed the KEY2 as:

"Compatible with Verizon with purchase of a KEY2 LE"
    ikalinin and BigBadWulf like this.
    01-12-19 07:14 PM
    So, do all the carriers use the same model now? If not, which works for Verizon. I'm being lazy and don't want to scan over 1000 post for the answer.
    01-24-19 07:12 AM
    -200 i believe
    So, do all the carriers use the same model now? If not, which works for Verizon. I'm being lazy and don't want to scan over 1000 post for the answer.
    01-24-19 11:20 PM
    Hey, all! New here and proud owner of a new Key 2. As many have experienced, everything works except receiving texts. Online chat with Verizon tech support who had me do a restart and sent a
    "test" text. No luck. Suggested - somewhat off the record - that getting a SIM provisioned on a phone where Verizon recognizes the "CDMA-less text receive" feature, then popping that SIM into my phone, might work. So now my question: Has anyone tried this "trick" using a Key One to provision the SIM? I ask because a friend of mine has a Key One so I'd have access to one to try. Thoughts?
    02-04-19 05:20 PM
1,230 ... 4445464748 ...