Attached is a Key2 LE thread started by a VZW rep one month ago that ultimately led to a VZW customer getting their Key 2 and Key2 LE phones to fully function.

Bc it seemed to good to be true, I then spoke with VZW tech who's a BB fan. His best advice was make sure you have a return policy before buying Key2 or Key2 LE but otherwise, everything listed in this thread should allow you to send/receive text, phone calls, etc.

Good luck, everyone!

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/950691
    Thanks for posting this. To make it a little simpler (because that link is quite long), here are the steps that people have reported are necessary to make a Key2 or Key2 LE work properly:

1) You need a new SIM card
    2) Then have tier 2 support put a ticket in to have your phones IMEI added to the device management server
    3) Once that is done have them add the CDMA-free feature on your account

NOTE: Step 2 might not be necessary - you might be able to have them provision your line as CDMA-less without Step 2.

I am personally waiting for more Key2 bugs to be sorted out (for example the most recent update caused WiFi challenges) before I make the plunge. I can't afford for my phone to have bugs - I am far too busy with my business to deal with that...
    12-06-18 11:43 AM
    So I made one final call to VZW and for the first time was rudely treated by a rep. She hung up on me and deactivated my Priv. I called back when my wife got home on her phone and insisted on talking to a supervisor. He was very apologetic and I told him that an earlier rep had left a message for me that there was some kind of progress. This was after they told me that there was nothing esle that they could do.

In any case, he said that they had me configured as a Key2 LE for quite some time, and that the DMD didn't do anything but the rep from a few days earlier had opened a help desk ticket. Whatever they did apparently worked and I now have a fully working Key2 on VZW.

I had literally just looked up the nearest T-mobile store and we were headed over there as soon as I was done registering the complaint.

They never give you enough information to really help other people, but hopefully this experience helps someone.
    RAM73 likes this.
    12-09-18 05:12 PM
    So I made one final call to VZW and for the first time was rudely treated by a rep. She hung up on me and deactivated my Priv. I called back when my wife got home on her phone and insisted on talking to a supervisor. He was very apologetic and I told him that an earlier rep had left a message for me that there was some kind of progress. This was after they told me that there was nothing esle that they could do.

In any case, he said that they had me configured as a Key2 LE for quite some time, and that the DMD didn't do anything but the rep from a few days earlier had opened a help desk ticket. Whatever they did apparently worked and I now have a fully working Key2 on VZW.

I had literally just looked up the nearest T-mobile store and we were headed over there as soon as I was done registering the complaint.

They never give you enough information to really help other people, but hopefully this experience helps someone.
    So.... Keeping the VZW KEY2 or jumping ship to T-Mo ?
    12-10-18 05:09 AM

I'm going through this now. I called and got directly to level 2 support. I told them I needed to have the phone added to the device management server (is this the DMD?), and so the rep submitted the request and told me to wait a few days. Here a few days later, it still doesn't work... no calls, just internet working. He politely obliged my request but he was not knowledgeable or optimistic about it. Did you ever get a ticket number or a direct rep that I can contact?

Also, I'm curious about the SIM cards. I went to my local store and got a new one. I told them I needed a CDMA-less SIM and they told me that they were all the same, they only had one kind and this was what they gave me. The rep was nice but disagreed when I said that CDMA was going away in about a year she told me that all of the phones used CDMA. So I'm hoping I got the correct SIM card.
    Last edited by azmojo; 12-14-18 at 11:56 AM.
    12-14-18 11:37 AM
    So.... Keeping the VZW KEY2 or jumping ship to T-Mo ?
    Staying with VZW.
    12-14-18 01:09 PM
    I'm going through this now. I called and got directly to level 2 support. I told them I needed to have the phone added to the device management server (is this the DMD?), and so the rep submitted the request and told me to wait a few days. Here a few days later, it still doesn't work... no calls, just internet working. He politely obliged my request but he was not knowledgeable or optimistic about it. Did you ever get a ticket number or a direct rep that I can contact?

Also, I'm curious about the SIM cards. I went to my local store and got a new one. I told them I needed a CDMA-less SIM and they told me that they were all the same, they only had one kind and this was what they gave me. The rep was nice but disagreed when I said that CDMA was going away in about a year she told me that all of the phones used CDMA. So I'm hoping I got the correct SIM card.
    DMD is Device Mgmt Database. They don't give you a reference number and you are probably wasting your time by waiting. Just call back. You never get the same rep unless by sheer luck, they do NOT want you to request a specific rep or developing any kind of accountability if the rep doesn't accomplish anything.

You should also have an NRB ticket, but that doesn't do much either, as far as I can tell. The VZW store rep gave me this number (866-221-4096) and said that was 2nd level support, and they claimed to be 2nd level, but no one really knew much. One rep filled out an IT ticket, which didn't do anything but he also filled out a "help desk" ticket, and that finally seemed to do something, but when I dialed into the rude rep, she claimed to know nothing about it. Only after I complained and got to a "supervisor", was he able to reference the help desk ticket and finally get it to work. Everyone (except the rude one) was very polite, just useless (except the guy that went the extra step for the help desk ticket request.

The supervisor seemed to have experience with the Key2, no one else did.

They are absolutely stopping support for CDMA on all new phones at the end of 2019. All new SIM cards SHOULD be CDMA-less, but who knows. CDMA-less MMS must be provisioned on the Key2 (or Key2LE if they are using that to spoof their own system) to receive texts.

As of now, the phone has been working great for a week on a long business trip. The only remaining complaint is that I can't receive texted pictures on Signal, but I haven't had time to Google a solution. I am using Messenger for now until/if I can debug Signal.
    12-14-18 01:25 PM
    I have been travelling and haven't been able to continue the effort to get my Key2 working until today. I called Level 2 support again and again requested my phone be added to the DMD (again), which I am told will happen within 24 hours. Guess I have to wait.
    Interestingly enough, I went to the Verizon BYOD scree where you entere the IMEI and it checks to see if it will work on Verizon and I got the following message: "Awesome, your BLACKBERRY KEY2 LE OD is a perfect match for our network." -- EVEN though my phone is NOT an LE. Then I entered my SIM ID and got the error: "The SIM ID you entered cannot be activated at this time" call customer service. I wonder what that means? I wonder if that's due to the pending request or something else. I got a new SIM 2 weeks ago and was told by the agent that "they only have one kind of SIM card" so I would have to assume my SIM is good.
    12-18-18 04:03 PM
    suppose this is as best of place as any...

what model is the best to buy to "attempt" to get working on Verizon?

unlocked GSM?

and do I really need to buy a new SIM card? those guys, getting another 15$ out of me.

I saw a Key2LE at BestBuy- a real working demo! wow..

I liked it, screen is obviously smaller than my priv- but my PRIV has been more and more randomly loosing it's Sim... so, replacement will need to be sometime.

what I could not stand was- my now dependence on the captative keyboard that the LE sadly lacks...
    12-18-18 06:00 PM
    suppose this is as best of place as any...

what model is the best to buy to "attempt" to get working on Verizon?

unlocked GSM?

and do I really need to buy a new SIM card? those guys, getting another 15$ out of me.

I saw a Key2LE at BestBuy- a real working demo! wow..

I liked it, screen is obviously smaller than my priv- but my PRIV has been more and more randomly loosing it's Sim... so, replacement will need to be sometime.

what I could not stand was- my now dependence on the captative keyboard that the LE sadly lacks...
    Well if you want that capacative keyboard you need to get the KEY2 non-LE. Read back the last 1 or 2 pages and you'll have most of the info you need. BBF100-2 is the model to get. I'm trying to get clarification on the SIM card, but apparently only newer sim cards will work. Some on here have said non-CDMA SIM card, but the rep at the store told me they just have one kind which presumably would be non-CDMA.
    12-18-18 11:34 PM
    Well if you want that capacative keyboard you need to get the KEY2 non-LE. Read back the last 1 or 2 pages and you'll have most of the info you need. BBF100-2 is the model to get. I'm trying to get clarification on the SIM card, but apparently only newer sim cards will work. Some on here have said non-CDMA SIM card, but the rep at the store told me they just have one kind which presumably would be non-CDMA.
    The Key2 is not VZW certified and the Key2 LE is VZW certified. Many here claimed success with Key2 on VZW but you’re not guaranteed 100% compatibility for any length of time. Unfortunately, for non-carrier devices, VZW has always been the difficult carrier, along with Sprint, historically as traditional CDMA providers.

For whatever reasons, unlike AT&T or T-Mobile, which have guaranteed limited usability, from traditional GSM carrier status, VZW and Sprint activation is a different customer process. The requirements of new SIM is a function of the current device used now and the SIM it required.
    12-19-18 06:21 AM
    OK, I have my BBF100-2 KEY2 working on Verizon. Here's what I learned:
    I received the device earlier this month and immediately called to have it added to the DMD by Level 2 Tech Support (866-221-4096). This process does take 24-72 hours, the rep submits a ticket to some other back office. Earlier this month (December), I don't think VZW had official support because the agent then was really skeptical about getting the device to work. But I think within the last 2 weeks they probably did add the KEY2 to their database, and I glean that from this thread where a Verizon rep stepped in and seemed to make some things happen on or about Dec 6: https://community.verizonwireless.co...rt=20&tstart=0

As I stated in an earlier post, if I now enter my IMEI into the Verizon BYOD device page (https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=GGnJnOE7), it registers as a "Blackberry KEY2 LE OD" and says I can use it with Verizon. OK, whatever, it's not an LE but I don't care what VZW thinks the model is as long as it works. This tells me that Verizon OFFICIALLY supports this phone now.

As described earlier, getting the device added to their DMD is a black hole. No one will contact you when it's done, and when it was done there was no indication on my phone that it was working. I just called in after 3 days and the rep now said they could see it in their system. The rep asked if it was a CDMA-less device, and I said yes, and it needs to be provisioned that way. She clicked and typed for a few minutes and then she had me cycle power on the phone and it came up and everything works!
    mtalinm likes this.
    12-21-18 04:36 PM
    OK, I have my BBF100-2 KEY2 working on Verizon. Here's what I learned:
    I received the device earlier this month and immediately called to have it added to the DMD by Level 2 Tech Support (866-221-4096). This process does take 24-72 hours, the rep submits a ticket to some other back office. Earlier this month (December), I don't think VZW had official support because the agent then was really skeptical about getting the device to work. But I think within the last 2 weeks they probably did add the KEY2 to their database, and I glean that from this thread where a Verizon rep stepped in and seemed to make some things happen on or about Dec 6: https://community.verizonwireless.co...rt=20&tstart=0

As I stated in an earlier post, if I now enter my IMEI into the Verizon BYOD device page (https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=Dp7rGZ-a), it registers as a "Blackberry KEY2 LE OD" and says I can use it with Verizon. OK, whatever, it's not an LE but I don't care what VZW thinks the model is as long as it works. This tells me that Verizon OFFICIALLY supports this phone now.

As described earlier, getting the device added to their DMD is a black hole. No one will contact you when it's done, and when it was done there was no indication on my phone that it was working. I just called in after 3 days and the rep now said they could see it in their system. The rep asked if it was a CDMA-less device, and I said yes, and it needs to be provisioned that way. She clicked and typed for a few minutes and then she had me cycle power on the phone and it came up and everything works!
    Thanks for the update - this is fantastic news. I definitely read somewhere else that another Key2 IMEI was accepted by the VZW system but I have not tried it myself. I am, however, hoping to get a Key2 for Verizon in early Jan so this is great news - thanks!

Now if only they would get rid of the bugs on the Key2! Seems like the Key2 LE is working without the same issues as the Key2 per the forums. I really want the larger keyboard and capacitive keyboard so I am hoping they are sorted by early Jan.
    12-21-18 05:52 PM
    Just for giggles, I took my SIM card out of my iPhone X on verizon, and put it in my unlocked Key two that I have on with AT&T. It works. I bought an unlocked off Amazon.
    12-22-18 12:56 PM
    Update: As others have reported, Visual Voicemail does not work, and according to VZW support, it won't work because that is a Verizon App and only works on official Verizon phones.
    offbad likes this.
    12-22-18 04:26 PM
    Update: As others have reported, Visual Voicemail does not work, and according to VZW support, it won't work because that is a Verizon App and only works on official Verizon phones.
    Just to confirm, are you sure that BASIC visual voicemail didn't work? I'm asking because someone had reported downgrading to basic visual voicemail and said it was working. This was weeks ago so I can't remember who it was. I was hoping that at least basic would work (I'm considering buying the Key2 in early Jan for Verizon).
    12-22-18 04:32 PM
    Just to confirm, are you sure that BASIC visual voicemail didn't work? I'm asking because someone had reported downgrading to basic visual voicemail and said it was working. This was weeks ago so I can't remember who it was. I was hoping that at least basic would work (I'm considering buying the Key2 in early Jan for Verizon).
    I don't know how to tell the difference. When I go into the "phone app" and click on the voicemail tab, I get the message about it being disabled. I tried downloading an app called Visual Voicemail Plus or something and it didn't work either. Voicemail still works by calling *86. I don't get a ton of VM so it's not a deal breaker for me.

After using it for a couple of days, and coming from a Priv, I am super happy to be using the Key2. I didn't realize how sluggish and under powered the Priv was, not to mention the dismal battery life. I also like the fingerprint authentication for logging in to apps although I wish I didn't have to unlock my phone every time I pick it up (maybe I can remove that?).
    12-23-18 12:33 AM
    For all it's worth, I've been using a third party voicemail app from the app store called YouMail on my Verizon Keyone that works very well. It's free unless you want the visual part to be able to read your messages. That feature has a small monthly fee.
    mtalinm likes this.
    12-23-18 06:53 AM
    I don't know how to tell the difference. When I go into the "phone app" and click on the voicemail tab, I get the message about it being disabled. I tried downloading an app called Visual Voicemail Plus or something and it didn't work either. Voicemail still works by calling *86. I don't get a ton of VM so it's not a deal breaker for me.

After using it for a couple of days, and coming from a Priv, I am super happy to be using the Key2. I didn't realize how sluggish and under powered the Priv was, not to mention the dismal battery life. I also like the fingerprint authentication for logging in to apps although I wish I didn't have to unlock my phone every time I pick it up (maybe I can remove that?).
    You can remove passcode or fingerprint authentication to unlock your device. I don't use anything to lock my device, use the lock button or double tap to wake. Also if you remove passcodes and fingerprint you can press spacebar to unlock when the screen is awake.
    12-23-18 10:14 AM

I think you need to call VZW and ask them what type of visual voicemail they have setup. They can downgrade you to basic visual voicemail if need be. It's definitely worth a try...
    12-23-18 01:24 PM
    I was able to get Verizon to activate basic visual voicemail successfully on my KEY2 but not on my KEY2 LE, so I'm not sure even they know what they're saying when it comes to which phones will support the feature.
    offbad likes this.
    12-24-18 10:07 AM
    I was able to get Verizon to activate basic visual voicemail successfully on my KEY2 but not on my KEY2 LE, so I'm not sure even they know what they're saying when it comes to which phones will support the feature.
    Thanks for the feedback. I realize that this wasn't the point of your post but at least we know that Key2 could work with Basic Visual Voicemail. That's what I was hoping...

As for VZW, I have no comment on them - that's too easy :-)
    12-24-18 01:17 PM
    I have used YouMail for a couple years and it's worth the price in my book. Way better than the VVM VZW offers (a bit more money but worth it to me given how much time it saves me). Transcription, manage VMs and outgoing greetings online, and they claim to help block robocallers.
    12-25-18 01:52 AM
    KEY2 arrived yesterday. set up and did system update on WiFi. Walked in VZW and set up new account/phone#..... popped SIM in. All worked fine (data/phone-voice) except no SMS. VZW rep was somewhat surprised to see it work. Since KEY2 was not in their system he just put in iPhone X in one of the blanks.

Left store and called# for level 2 support. Stayed on call over 1 hour with tech. He submitted ticket to have IMEI added to DMD. There is a box on his entry form to check Yes or No for supported device. He said he had t check "No" since Key2 is not listed supported and he did not even know if system would accept his request with that box checked No. He also said he did not expect IMEI to get added with that box checked NO because that request is only for supported devices. He called me a couple of hours later to let me know the request was rejected.

I called a manager at VZN store this AM (Saturday). I had spoken with her last week before starting this process. She told me to come by Monday when I am back in town and she may be able to help me get it done.

Then there is the issue of the CDMAless SIM. THERE îS NO CDMAless SîM. there is only one SIM. It is a SIM ..... I repeat .... SIM or SIM card.

Once you have a SIM you have to have it provisioned (a setting) as a CDMAless SIM/ or line. The SIM itself is not a specific CDMAless SIM.

Now I will show my ignorance. Who can or who is the person that provisions this SIM or line as CDMAless. I mentioned it in the store, to the tech support, to the store manager, etc. So far it seems like foreign language. Maybe I am set as CDMAless and don't know it.

I have read countless places here and on Verizon forms about CDMAless. But I don't have a clue if this can be set on the account/line/SIM at store level or by tech support?? Maybe Trumo???

Anyway, that's where I'm at..... I will update as I learn more. Next week.

Right now I am not sure what adding my IMEA to DMD will do. I have a feeling since my data and voice / phone works... that my SIM is already provisioned as CDMAless but I don't know.

(BTW.... I can send SMS, I just cannot receive SMS.)
    Last edited by duckduke; 01-05-19 at 12:50 PM.
    01-05-19 12:36 PM
    In my many years of successful experience working with VZW tech support I can say without hesitation there is only one -- I repeat only ONE -- reasonably reliable way to get the best results you're ever going to get.

You have to call tech support and then insist up and down politely but firmly on talking with Level 2 advanced tech support (if they say they are, ask them to assure you again), and then when you get one of them do not give them a chance to help you but politely but firmly insist that you have spent many hours on this already with forums and stores and on the phone and you are a busy professional and now need them to get you a tech support supervisor or manager. If they won't get you one, call back and another rep will.

And if, after all that, you don't feel you're in the best of hands, hang up and call back and do it again, perhaps at a different time, to get a different tech support supervisor/manager.

Maybe talk to two anyway!

Do that, and you'll get the best possible result. Then, you can even be one of the ones reporting to us the reliable way to make Key2 work!
    01-05-19 01:50 PM

Do that, and you'll get the best possible result. Then, you can even be one of the ones reporting to us the reliable way to make Key2 work!
    I think you are correct!! I won't have a chance to do that until at least Monday. I hope the VZW store manager/rep will help me get to the right person.
    01-05-19 06:28 PM
1,230 ... 4344454647 ...