Hi All,

Just brought a new car home last night (2019 VW Golf.) It has Android Auto and Apple Carplay capabilities.

I only just played with it last night plugged into USB. Waze worked fine (but I like my Garmin GPS with traffic and weather much better!), as did playing music from the phone, etc. Not quite sure how I did it but I was able to compose and send a text message. I don't see how I can read/listen to incoming text messages and there doesn't see many connection to emails. In fact it doesn't ask for permission for emails, just texts.

None of this is actually important as I only really drive the car in snowstorms (normally ride a motorcycle) but would like to understand what I should expect and how Android Auto should work.

Thanks,

Tom
    08-02-19 09:14 AM
    Hi All,

Just brought a new car home last night (2019 VW Golf.) It has Android Auto and Apple Carplay capabilities.

I only just played with it last night plugged into USB. Waze worked fine (but I like my Garmin GPS with traffic and weather much better!), as did playing music from the phone, etc. Not quite sure how I did it but I was able to compose and send a text message. I don't see how I can read/listen to incoming text messages and there doesn't see many connection to emails. In fact it doesn't ask for permission for emails, just texts.

None of this is actually important as I only really drive the car in snowstorms (normally ride a motorcycle) but would like to understand what I should expect and how Android Auto should work.

Thanks,

Tom
    Android Auto 2 is just starting deployment to phones now and over the next few weeks. There will be a lot of changes to the UI. The current implementation is a bit clunky, but you'd be surprised at the functionality if you're patient enough to navigate the many screens.
    08-02-19 09:42 AM
    Android Auto doesn't work with email. When connected to your car it will notify you of incoming text and WhatsApp messages. I personally prefer Google Maps over Waze. To send a text you use the Google Assistant by saying "okay Google send a text message to X". You can also activate Google Assistant by pressing the microphone button on the top right corner of your cars screen.
    V-Tom likes this.
    08-04-19 04:06 PM
    I just started using AA via my Key2 on new Alfa Giulia 3 weeks ago; the Giulia infoscreen is operated via a central joy-knob, ie no touchscreen; surprisingly, after getting a high quality USBC to USB cable, I've found that the AA implementation is eminently useful... I like it mainly because of how it integrates Google Maps with traffic on the car screen (much better than the car's native nav); the voice read and send on text and whatsapp works pretty well. the new version 4.5 AA is on my phone as of a couple of days ago but does not show up with the new UI on the car yet, could take a few weeks supposedly. On balance, I'm happy so far.
    V-Tom likes this.
    08-04-19 07:10 PM