Hi Folks,

I recently bought one of these cables for my Key2 Red Edition because I wanted to save wear and tear on my USB-C port.

https://apexcables.com/

The product looks good with the red 6ft cable I got. I still plug the USB end into the stock OEM wall charger.

Question I have is, do I need to worry about any compatibility?

It seems to work well but I don't want to zorch my charger or battery using something not supplied in the original box.

Am I safe to proceed?
    01-24-20 02:19 PM
    I assume you're using the power brick that came with the phone still? in which case I wouldn't be worried.

The only issue I have with the magnetic cables is how far they protrude from the base of the phone.
    BLAZEDv3 likes this.
    01-24-20 02:53 PM
    Affirmative using the OEM power brick.

The cool thing is you leave the plug in the USB-C port. When plugged in the power cord is affixed magnetically so if you bump it or accidentally yank on it the cord separates from the plug, so no chance of hurting the port. It does 't stick out any farther than the stock plug.
    01-24-20 04:00 PM
    Any chance you could post a picture of this connected to the phone with and without the cable?
    I would be interested in getting one of these.
    Thanks
    01-25-20 04:53 AM
    I've seen these advertised on Instagram and was interested. Your experience with these will be appreciated. My C-Pap mask uses magnetic strap connectors and work great. So I'm curious as to how strong the magnets are and how easy the cord becomes disconnected from the phone. Does the phone charge has fast as using the conventional USB-C cords?
    01-25-20 07:11 AM
    Hi Falbo,

See pics including one showing difference in length between stock cord and new one.
    Attached Thumbnails Using aftermarket magnetic cables with KEY2-3136.jpg  
    falbo likes this.
    01-25-20 02:20 PM
    Trying to post these
    Attached Thumbnails Using aftermarket magnetic cables with KEY2-3133.jpg  
    falbo likes this.
    01-25-20 02:21 PM
    Showing plug
    Attached Thumbnails Using aftermarket magnetic cables with KEY2-3134.jpg  
    falbo likes this.
    01-25-20 02:21 PM
    You can see the little button connector at the bottom of the phone. It stays in the USB-C port and the idea is to reduce wear and tear on the port. it fits quite snug, snaps right in and no danger of fallng out however I did buy a spare.

Charging seems to be exactly the same as using the stock cord.

I'm using the OEM wall charger, just plugging the new cord into it as shown.
    falbo likes this.
    01-25-20 02:24 PM
    You can see the little button connector at the bottom of the phone. It stays in the USB-C port and the idea is to reduce wear and tear on the port. it fits quite snug, snaps right in and no danger of fallng out however I did buy a spare.

Charging seems to be exactly the same as using the stock cord.

I'm using the OEM wall charger, just plugging the new cord into it as shown.
    Thanks very much for posting the photos. This looks like a great idea so I will have to get one.
    The extra length of cable will be handy.

Posted via my beautiful priv
    01-25-20 03:15 PM
    The only drawback is if you want to transfer files using the USB you have to take out the adapter.
    hazmaju likes this.
    01-25-20 04:12 PM
    The only drawback is if you want to transfer files using the USB you have to take out the adapter.
    Not true, just plug that cable in the computer, it's also a data cable... at least mine are. I use only that type of cables for all my devices and it's super convenient!

Posted via CB10
    falbo likes this.
    01-25-20 04:16 PM
    I never thought of that. Thanks for the answer there hazmaju I will give that a whirl.
    01-25-20 05:01 PM
    Not true, just plug that cable in the computer, it's also a data cable... at least mine are. I use only that type of cables for all my devices and it's super convenient!

Posted via CB10
    I'll take your word for it, I did find it funny that in all the apex cable link given above does not once mention data.
    01-25-20 06:59 PM
    I seen these advertised on Instagram and thought they were sweet. I'm sure they dont do anything but charge as they can have ground on the outside and power in the middle so it can spin. Now I see you have one I will order one as well for the same reason to not wear out the port.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    01-25-20 07:19 PM
    Here are some alternatives..

https://gearhub.org/best-magnetic-usb-cable/
    I seen these advertised on Instagram and thought they were sweet. I'm sure they dont do anything but charge as they can have ground on the outside and power in the middle so it can spin. Now I see you have one I will order one as well for the same reason to not wear out the port.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    01-25-20 07:28 PM
    Just to be sure, you might be right, as I use a certain FLOVEME bought from AliExpress and it's also a data cable. It has different layout on magnetic connector...

Posted via CB10
    anon(10622733) likes this.
    01-26-20 12:43 AM
    Just ordered one myself.
    01-26-20 06:28 AM
    Confirmed the Apex ones don't do data. However, there are others of this type that do.
    01-27-20 02:51 AM
    Confirmed the Apex ones don't do data. However, there are others of this type that do.
    When you mentioned the look of the connection; cirkular and only two points I realised it can't possibly do data.
    These are the ones I use https://www.floveme.com/collections/data-cable. Bought from AliExpress...

Posted via CB10
    01-27-20 03:35 AM